Prince Harry Current Events 20: May-June 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally hope that the media keeps getting so many messages fed to them by MoD that nobody will ever know whether there is any truth or lie to any of it. What MoD needs to do is just rattle off possibilities a couple times a week to keep everyone guessing.
I could not agree with you more, the MOD should have taken the time to see if it was even feasable for Harry to be sent to Iraq, before they opened there mouth. It is bad enough that the MOD yanked Harry around, it is 100 times worse that the MOD did it in the media spotlight for the world to see.

I disagree. I don't think damage control should be subterfuge. This is affecting the BRF with all of this speculation. Instead of making the media out to be the idiots that they are, Prince Harry is still the victim here and he will continue to be so with all of these games.

How have other governments dealt with the issue of sending a member of there royal family to a war zone?

kerry said:
Prince Harry is still the victim here and he will continue to be so with all of these games.
We should not forget that Harry is a victim, he did not ask for this media circus to erupt around him. Harry just wants to be a soldier and serve his country in a time of war. No one is commending him for that, the media just keeps tearing him dowm.

Yeah. It's really disgusting!

cowarth said:
How have other governments dealt with the issue of sending a member of there royal family to a war zone?

Good question for some of our in house historians. I don't believe no one of this era has gone. If so, the media definitely was not consulted.

I say chaps, don't you thing you are being unreasonable, trying to stop the media types from making a dollar or two at the expence of someones happiness? :lol: Why should they have to consider anyone or anything other than fattening their wallets?

Skydragon said:
I say chaps, don't you thing you are being unreasonable, trying to stop the media types from making a dollar or two at the expence of someones happiness? :lol: Why should they have to consider anyone or anything other than fattening their wallets?
That made me LAUGH OUT LOUD! Thanks for putting a smile on my face.

Skydragon said:

Exactly right! We see who really has the power. Even the BRF can be a casualty regardless of the severity.

Everyone should just stop speculating on where he is going to be deployed. I wish he would take a NICE, SAFE desk job.

Last edited:
Video about Harry not going to night parties while his friends are in Irak:

mms://media.telecinco.es/telecinco/informativos/informativos_ba/070516enrique.wmv

Make sure you guys check out the "Civilian Career Ideas for British Royal Family" thread. It could be pretty interesting.;)

cowarth said:
I wish he would take a NICE, SAFE desk job.
Harry's fans may wish him to be wrapped in cotton wool, but I doubt that Harry would be agreeable.

Harry wants to be on the front lines, serving with his men.

rchainho said:
Video about Harry not going to night parties while his friends are in Irak:

mms://media.telecinco.es/telecinco/informativos/informativos_ba/070516enrique.wmv
Can you translate what is said to English?

Prince to be asked to guard the queen

British military officials indicated they will ask Prince Harry to transfer to ceremonial duties guarding his grandmother, Queen Elizabeth II.
The prince is a member of the Blues and Royals, part of the Household Cavalry, along with the Life Guards. He would transfer to the Household Mounted Regiment, the Sun reported Friday.
"If he can't be mounted with his men in a tank he will be mounted on a horse," a senior Household Cavalry officer said of Harry's proposed new role. Prince Harry was told he would not be going to Iraq, just days before he was due to fly to Basra. Army chief Gen. Richard Dannatt said specific threats on the prince's life made his deployment an "unacceptable risk" to him and the men around him.

cowarth said:
Everyone should just stop speculating on where he is going to be deployed. I wish he would take a NICE, SAFE desk job.

But he doesn't want to, he hasn't trained for it and that's not what his personality draws him to. I don't want him getting shot at, but I don't want him miserable either.

rchainho said:
Video about Harry not going to night parties while his friends are in Iraq:

If he's doing this on purpose, I like what he's saying with it. I do think it would look bad if while his comrades are getting attacked in the middle east, he's out boozing it up with friends. He's shown a remarkable amount of maturity for someone who was thought to be in possession of none.

He will be guarding Buckingham Palace, what a waste of a career, Harry will be miserable for the rest of his career.

Sister Morphine said:
If he's doing this on purpose, I like what he's saying with it. I do think it would look bad if while his comrades are getting attacked in the middle east, he's out boozing it up with friends. He's shown a remarkable amount of maturity for someone who was thought to be in possession of none.

He has always been underminded in the press. It definitely shows maturity. Very commendable.

The press has considered him the spare since birth, then they wonder why he acts the way he does in public. How would you act if all your life you were considered the spare?

I think Princess Margaret had much the same problem, although in her case it wasn't complicated by the fact that she needed to go out and find herself a career.

Charles should have done more to prepare Harry for the media intrusion into his private life as he got older.

cowarth said:
Charles should have done more to prepare Harry for the media intrusion into his private life as he got older.

I'm not Charles could have done more in this regard. Harry grew up a member of the RF with intense media interest in his family, particularly his mother but also his father and his uncles and aunts and his grandparents. All his life he's been aware that their lives are reported in the newspapers and magazines and on TV, and the fact that there are cameras watching them and that they need to prepare for the flashing hoards before they step out of the door or the car. He's not like a commoner from a quite, private background marrying in.

Roslyn said:
I'm not Charles could have done more in this regard. Harry grew up a member of the RF with intense media interest in his family, particularly his mother but also his father and his uncles and aunts and his grandparents. All his life he's been aware that their lives are reported in the newspapers and magazines and on TV, and the fact that there are cameras watching them and that they need to prepare for the flashing hoards before they step out of the door or the car. He's not like a commoner from a quite, private background marrying in.

Exactly. What can Charles do? Not much. He can tell Harry to not let it bother him, not let it effect him, but past that.....the onus is on Harry to deal with it.

cowarth said:
The press has considered him the spare since birth, then they wonder why he acts the way he does in public. How would you act if all your life you were considered the spare?

The way he acts I don't think has that much to do with the fact he's William's younger brother. Yes some younger siblings act out (mine did), but most don't. He has a much different personality than William and because he's not the future King, he gets a looser rein in terms of where he can go, who he can date, what he does.....it allows him to be more inhibited, but it's his extroverted personality that lends more weight to it than anything else.

Blaming Harry's often-times bad behavior on the fact he's #2 in the Wales' family is basically giving him a cop-out and that's wrong. Do you see Prince Joachim in Denmark or Prince Willem-Alexander's brothers behaving like Harry sometimes does? It's the person, not the position.

Roslyn said:
True. I think Harry is quite familiar with a camera lens. I remember seeing a picture of him and his mum peeking out from a candy store in Kensington making
1059599527.gif
for buying candy.

This all makes alot of sense, it just seems weird to me the way they have to live.

Warren said:
Harry's fans may wish him to be wrapped in cotton wool, but I doubt that Harry would be agreeable.

He needs to realize, and I think he is learning in his own way, that his choices and actions create consequences for other people. The British army has now decided that his presence in the recon. unit places "unacceptable risk" to himself and to his command. Most people in the world have such things to learn: that our actions and choices create consequences and results for other people, and that is why when we make selfish choices, it shows us to be selfish, and when we make choices out of concern for others, it shows that we are compassionate. Being denied Iraq service may make Harry feel bad, but he should feel good knowing that it was a rational, well-thought-out decision, reached by rational professionals, and that Harry's non-deployment takes out a very unnecessary risk to those who must deploy to Iraq.
Harry may feel bad not going to Iraq, but he may take heart from knowing that his father would feel much worse if he did go to Iraq and was killed.

Prince Harry in Afghanistan speculation

Well we know this isn't going to happen as it was picked up by the news, or I hope that the MoD understands that gravity of letting out a little information to those who aren't in the need to know.

Prince Harry in Afghanistan speculation

Prince Harry, who was last week stopped from joining his regiment's deployment to Iraq, could be sent to join troops in Afghanistan.
The British newspaper The News of the World reported it had information about plans for the 22-year-old officer, third in line to the throne, to join the fight against the Taliban, but was withholding key details.

Prince Harry in Afghanistan speculation - World - theage.com.au

Maybe MoD will get it right this time and keep the right-to-know information kept to a minimum.

MoD seeks news blackout on Harry's future army moves

Revelations about the deployment of Prince Harry to a war zone will be censored if the government agrees to a proposal that future information surrounding his military career is covered by a D-notice.
A D-notice - an official request to newspaper editors not to publish items on specified subjects for reasons of national security - can apply to individuals if there is thought to be a 'grave threat' to their safety.

Bid to censor press over prince's army deployment | UK News | The Observer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom