Prince George and Princess Charlotte, General News Part 3: May 2016-April 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A lovely picture of young George. (I was going to say 'little', but he's a big boy now!) I bet he'll have a ball on his birthday, with friends and relatives all around.

Last edited:
He certainly looks more than four there and a lot more confident than the George we saw on the latest Cambridge tour.

I thought that he was refusing to come off the plane on the Poland tour.

I thought that he was refusing to come off the plane on the Poland tour.

Poland was the first stop on their tour. Possibly Prince George had just woken up from a nap and when he got a peek at the crowd awaiting on the tarmac, he may simply have not been in the mood for it. Shyness can sometimes take over kids at that age too. I'm sure George is used to seeing crowds of people gawking at him and his parents, but he & Princess Charlotte are also kept out of day-in-and-day-out public scrutiny as well, which is a good thing.

It's also a good thing that Will & Kate are introducing their two children to what royal tours are like. Part of it is surely that they do not wish to be away from their kids for very long stretches of time either. And George's birthday was happening during the tour and they obviously wished to celebrate his special day with him.

In this overcast video, the reporters indicate there was a bit of rain too. We can see Georgie holding onto his Dad's hand, swinging one leg back and forth with his other hand casually held in his pocket, bringing his Dad's hand to his lips, listening to his Dad comfort him with a few words, and then eagerly walking down the tarmac, turned away from the soldiers ceremoniously lining the path. He's simply too cute. Charlotte and George definitely 'steal the show' whenever they accompany their parents.

George certainly has grown quite a bit taller out of the public eye, even since May. It looks like he will be as tall, or taller than his Dad, eh! I really like that both kids aren't being overtrained and over-forced to perform in public like mannequins and perfect little versions of adults. They are normal youngsters who act like very young kids would and should. That's a good thing!

Happy Birthday Prince George cutie pie! :D

Last edited:
Westminster Abbey @wabbey
Happy Birthday to Prince George, who is 4 today. #TB to 2013 when the Abbey bellringers rang a full peal, lasting 3 hours, to mark his birth
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DE8s-NlXgAARoOr.jpg:large

The Abbey bell ringers are ringing 504 changes of Stedman Caters and 360 changes of Cambridge Surprise Royal #HappyBirthdayPrinceGeorge
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DFGHL85W0AAsl2v.jpg:large

I'd like to thank Dorothy L Sayers, without whom I would not understand anything about this post. Ms. Sayers earned no orders - just an off topic aside. I hope either or both children read The Nine Tailors when age appropriate. Then learn to ring.

As to reaction in general to the plane-ing and de-plane-ing comments, there is something unsettling about coming off a plane onto the tarmac. I'm an adult and always find it vaguely unsettling. There is almost always wind, loud noises around you and a sterile expanse of concrete in all directions. My personal unease comes from the fear that anything at all (a tiger, a baggage mover, a crazed bird) could be coming up from behind left and hit me without any notice. The openess of the tarmac is unsettling - nothing on any side for protection. I always want to hurry into the relative "known" of the terminal.

I suppose a child might just as well want to run off and away on a tarmac - but these two seemed no so inclined...

I hope little George had a nice birthday today. I wonder if Charlotte made him any presents ?

Happy Birthday to Prince George, who is 4 today. #TB to 2013 when the Abbey bellringers rang a full peal, lasting 3 hours, to mark his birth
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DE8s-NlXgAARoOr.jpg:large

The Abbey bell ringers are ringing 504 changes of Stedman Caters and 360 changes of Cambridge Surprise Royal #HappyBirthdayPrinceGeorge
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DFGHL85W0AAsl2v.jpg:large

The bell ringers certainly had their work cut out today, three hours is a very long time! I tried bellringing at my own church once and was tired after fifteen minutes:p

Prince George and Princess Charlotte, General News Part 2: May 2016

Cambridge is basically a temporary thing. William will get new titles as heir apparent. Eventually it will be Wales. So I can see using Mountbatten Windsor until the titles settle down.

William didn't even switch to using Cambridge as his last name. His RAF and EAA flight suits say Wales. The kids will be of Cambridge, of Cornwall & Cambridge, of Wales. By the time, George is done with Thomas, his father will be Prince of Wales and the kids can use Wales for the rest of their school career.

Last edited:
I hope little George had a nice birthday today. I wonder if Charlotte made him any presents ?

The bell ringers certainly had their work cut out today, three hours is a very long time! I tried bellringing at my own church once and was tired after fifteen minutes:p

I don't think they did 3 hours for his birthday just when he was born back in 2013. The bells ring for the birthdays of the senior royals.

As William uses the Wales surname could George not also, it being his father's name?

I know Kate has used Cambridge in the past.

As William uses the Wales surname could George not also, it being his father's name?

No, because William isn't the Prince of Wales.

But-if George uses Cambridge, what happens when the Queen dies? Chances are he won't be finished with school, so does he then change names?
It might be easier if he just uses Windsor, like Louise does.

Cambridge is basically a temporary thing. William will get new titles as heir apparent. Eventually it will be Wales. So I can see using Mountbatten Windsor until the titles settle down.

William didn't even switch to using Cambridge as his last name. His RAF and EAA flight suits say Wales. The kids will be of Cambridge, of Cornwall & Cambridge, of Wales. By the time, George is done with Thomas, his father will be Prince of Wales and the kids can use Wales for the rest of their school career.

How many years will Prince George be at Thomas?

He'll probably use Cambridge... he's not likely to be the only student to change his "name" in the course of his schooling - his peers will at least partially be the children of Nobles, many who will go by their own courtesy titles or their father's titles.

Further, William will be Duke of Cambridge until he becomes King, so even if George becomes "of Wales" he can continue to use "Cambridge" as a surname. William is no longer "of Wales" - hasn't been since he married - yet he's continued to use the name "Wales" professionally.

I don't think they did 3 hours for his birthday just when he was born back in 2013. The bells ring for the birthdays of the senior royals.

Yes; from previous birthdays I noticed already that the bells are rung for senior royal birthdays.
I don't remember the bells ever ringing for such a long time for anyone's birthday.

I know Kate has used Cambridge in the past.

It's not his father's name it was his designation, emphasis on was. Prior to marriage, as the son of the Prince of Wales, he was William of Wales. Like the York princesses, and as Harry is now. His designation is now Cambridge. George will not be of Wales until his father is POW. Kate uses Cambridge as foes her husband because she shares his designation. Prince William of Wales was William Wales. Beatrice of York was Beatrice York. George of Cambridge will be Geirge Cambridge.

Louise and James are a separate matter. They use Windsor because of their position. As they are titled as the children of an Earl, they have an official surname they use. As a Hrh, George doesn't.

George isn't going to be of Cambridge for all of his school years. The territory designation will change when Charles becomes King and then again when William is named Prince of Wales. Charles can name him right away or take his time. Once William is PoW then they kids are of Wales until William becomes King. It doesn't matter that William will have 3 Dukedoms (Cambridge, Cornwall, Rothesay) the kids will be of Wales.

The York girls were going to stay of York, W&H were staying of Wales unless the Queen died then H would have lost his of Wales and William becomes Duke of Cornwall and named PoW.

George and Charlotte will have 3 of Territory Names until it settles.

And the Silliest Article of the Day Award goes to - drumroll - you guessed it, Daily Mail: Why does Prince George always wear shorts | Daily Mail Online

While the British do have a weird notion about shorts, I somehow doubt it has something to do with the Cambridges coming up with a class-statement.
Methinks it's more to do with a more traditional and dare I say British view of what is looking cute on a little boy.
Previously wearing shorts, or rather changing into trousers was a coming of age thing for boys and Britain did indeed retain that idea well after the rest of Europe had dropped it (pardon the pun). British boys had to wear shorts, even if their legs were blue from the cold and the penguins at the zoos started insisting on wearing mittens and scarves. Something that was looked at with some bewilderment over here on the Continent. ?

Regarding George's surname, I think it would make the most sense if he used Mountbatten-Windsor at school since as Skippyboo has mentioned, Cambridge is only a temporary title so I don't think he'll use it for school.

IIRC Mountbatten-Windsor is also the official surname of all of HM and Prince Philip's descendants so that's another reason why the usage of it for George and Charlotte at school makes more sense. This is slightly off-topic but I think Charlotte Mountbatten-Windsor has a really nice ring to it.

One has to admit though that for a child starting school at 4 years old, Mountbatten-Windsor is quite a bit to know for a child that most likely is beginning to read "cat" and "dog" and learning to write. If I'm remembering things right, during Anne's early school days she signed her papers P. Anne. Don't quote me on this though.

To really resolve this conundrum of what George will be known as at school, we'd probably have to be given access to his registration forms which I'm sure that the school keeps under lock and key and wouldn't release that information to the general public. As to how George himself will sign his "work", I imagine for now, it will be simply "George" as he learns to write and spell his first name.

One has to admit though that for a child starting school at 4 years old, Mountbatten-Windsor is quite a bit to know for a child that most likely is beginning to read "cat" and "dog" and learning to write. If I'm remembering things right, during Anne's early school days she signed her papers P. Anne. Don't quote me on this though.

To really resolve this conundrum of what George will be known as at school, we'd probably have to be given access to his registration forms which I'm sure that the school keeps under lock and key and wouldn't release that information to the general public. As to how George himself will sign his "work", I imagine for now, it will be simply "George" as he learns to write and spell his first name.
O suspect he will be called George Cambridge

That's my guess too...George and Charlotte Cambridge. Which even if William is the PoW in 5 years...he'll still hold Cambridge too I think so kids might just stay Cambridge.

LaRae

Since William goes by Wales professionally, I wonder if Wales is a possibility?

I would think it's possible ...just not sure they will change the names.

They can use whatever they want for their fake last name but how they are officially know will change as William's titles change. The kids aren't going be of Cambridge when William is PoW. The older kids of George V went through similar changes as they went from York, Cornwall and York, Wales then losing of when George became King.

That's true; but George and Charlotte should count themselves lucky that they don't use the surname Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderberg-Glucksberg! The surname itself would need a line of its own on schoolbooks and worksheets :eek:

I agree that just his first name is probably how he will go about referring to himself on paper at school. George is quite a common name here in England, so if there's another George in his class, and he does use Mountbatten-Windsor, I'm sure Prince George could use "George M.B." - and this would also be easier for him to write.

:D

Rebecca English @RE_DailyMail
Chatting to the director of the @ENBallet today Kate revealed Princess Charlotte is learning to dance. 'She absolutely loves it,' she said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom