The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 11:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
It went farther back than Diana; Diana's celebrity status just brought it all into overdrive

It happened post-WWI.

I'd put it much earlier, perhaps with the Prince Regent and his heir, the Princess Charlotte.

There was a great deal of society gossip about them, and Charlotte, at least, was presented as a trend-setter. (Descriptions of her wedding dress in the press, etc.)

Old 01-09-2016, 03:13 PM
Administrator

Let's get back on topic...George and Charlotte.

Old 01-10-2016, 05:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I actually think George still looks more like the Middleton side of the family, with the exception of his blonde hair. His little nose might resemble his grandfather Mike Middleton's or become more like William's as he grows, however. I'm sure he had a wonderful time in those few hours and is looking forward to more!
I agree. Especially with his mother's eyebrows. Definitely taking after the Middleton side. The shape of the head is different from William's.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Cute story - Sophie's son was getting it 'road-tested'

Quote:
PRINCE GEORGE will soon be roaring round in his own Aston Martin sports car.

The two-year-old will inherit a half-size V8 Volante from his father William as soon as he is old enough to drive it.

William and brother Harry were given the car in 1988 but George is set to become the new Prince of Wheels after his father took it out of the Sandringham Museum on the Queen’s estate in Norfolk in order to have it renovated.

George, who already rides about on a £100 toy tractor at his home, nearby Anmer Hall, is said to be “obsessed” with vehicles.

He follows a long line of Royals playing at being James Bond by driving the British-made model Aston at speeds of up to 20mph.

The car was “road-tested” during the Christmas holidays by the Earl and Countess of Wessex’s eight-year-old son James, Viscount Severn.

“He was racing round the paths and having a wonderful time,” said a source at Sandringham.
Read more: Prince George will soon be roaring around in his own Aston Martin | Royal | News | Daily Express
Old 01-12-2016, 02:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

Prince George and Princess Charlotte, General News Part 1: May 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Cute story - Sophie's son was getting it 'road-tested'

Read more: Prince George will soon be roaring around in his own Aston Martin | Royal | News | Daily Express

Well, they needed to know just how much work was needed on it before sending it off after all. I'll bet James had a blast driving it at Christmas time & he's the only one in the Family who can honestly do that one famous 007 line to anyone who sees him in it.

So glad the next Generation will be making a bunch of memories w/this particular and very special toy. Here's hoping though Ferrari never gives Charlotte her own red mini Ferrari, as I'm not sure the pathways could handle a pint sized version of that scene of Goldeneye...LOL!!!!!

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 01-13-2016, 01:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
When Prince George strolled into his first day of pre-school at Westacre Montessori last week, he looked relaxed and happy – a sure sign that he was ready for school and it was the right place for him.

That's because it is just the place for a future king, says Louise Livingston, director of training at the Maria Montessori Institute, where many of George's teachers studied.

Following the methods pioneered by Italian educator Maria Montessori, Westacre Montessori School in East Walton, which is not far from the family's country home, Anmer Hall, in Norfolk, stresses that children think for themselves as early as possible.

"There is a lot of focus on independence and helping children do things for themselves and make their own decisions and their own choices," Livingston tells PEOPLE in this week's issue.
Read more: How Prince George's Preschool Is Teaching Him to 'Do Things for Himself' : People.com
Old 01-13-2016, 07:55 PM
Majesty

This is the philosophy I used when working as a preschool teacher and I'm still using it at my current job, even though the children are between ages of five and ten. I stressed from the first day that I expected the children to carry their own backpacks (when physically possible), be the ones to put their things in their cubbies, put their jackets on/take them off, clean up after themselves and accept consequences when they made bad choices. The parents loved it and the children learned accountability from an early age. The children at my current job have a lot of physical restrictions, but I encourage them to 'help' their paras when it's lunch/snack time, be able to take out their communication notebooks in the morning/ put them away in the afternoon, find their cubbies and to accept consequences when they make bad choices. It works wonders, because the children have a chance to feel like they're in control and are able to be as independent as possible. I'm so happy that George will be in the environment where he will be allowed to learn important life skills. He may never need to clean his house, but there's no reason for him not to be expected to put away his toys when he's at home as well as in the classroom.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:21 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Along with all that you've said Daria, there's nothing happier to see than a child filled with pride and positive self esteem they get from being able to say "I did it myself". Art made and brought home is proudly displayed on the refrigerator in a prime spot but I think nothing is more satisfactory to the parents and the teachers than to see a student grow and develop their own independence and positive self esteem by keeping that "I did it myself" attitude throughout life.

The job of a parent is to become unnecessary to the the child.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 01-13-2016, 10:10 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Along with all that you've said Daria, there's nothing happier to see than a child filled with pride and positive self esteem they get from being able to say "I did it myself". Art made and brought home is proudly displayed on the refrigerator in a prime spot but I think nothing is more satisfactory to the parents and the teachers than to see a student grow and develop their own independence and positive self esteem by keeping that "I did it myself" attitude throughout life.

The job of a parent is to become unnecessary to the the child.
You're absolutely correct. Nothing bring up self-esteem like independence and the ability to do for oneself. No matter how wealthy/well-to-do a child is, a time will come when parents won't be around. It's paramount to make sure that a child is prepared for life as an adult and the only way to do that is to have reasonable expectations, as well as to encourage the child not to just reach, but also to stretch and to seek out challenges for self-improvement. Childhood is the best time to do this and it appears that George's parents chose a great school to help their son build a solid foundation.

Old 01-13-2016, 10:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

What sets a Montessori school apart?

Prince George is attending the Westacre Montessori Nursery. What sets a Montessori school apart from other schools?
Old 01-14-2016, 12:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The whole child approach
The primary goal of a Montessori program is to help each child reach their full potential in all areas of life. Activities promote the development of social skills, emotional growth and physical coordination as well as cognitive preparation for future intellectual academic endeavors. The holistic curriculum, under the direction of a specifically prepared teacher, allows the child to experience the joy of learning, the time to enjoy the process and ensures the development of self esteem. It provides the experiences from which children create their knowledge.
More information on the approach is here. Has been very popular here for years.

MontessoriConnections What Makes Montessori Education Unique? - MontessoriConnections
Old 01-14-2016, 02:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
This is the philosophy I used when working as a preschool teacher and I'm still using it at my current job, even though the children are between ages of five and ten. I stressed from the first day that I expected the children to carry their own backpacks (when physically possible), be the ones to put their things in their cubbies, put their jackets on/take them off, clean up after themselves and accept consequences when they made bad choices. The parents loved it and the children learned accountability from an early age. The children at my current job have a lot of physical restrictions, but I encourage them to 'help' their paras when it's lunch/snack time, be able to take out their communication notebooks in the morning/ put them away in the afternoon, find their cubbies and to accept consequences when they make bad choices. It works wonders, because the children have a chance to feel like they're in control and are able to be as independent as possible. I'm so happy that George will be in the environment where he will be allowed to learn important life skills. He may never need to clean his house, but there's no reason for him not to be expected to put away his toys when he's at home as well as in the classroom.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Because as a former elementary school teacher, it was surprising to find even second graders who had parents who took care of these tasks for them. And it was not easy to convince the parents that their child at seven years of age was capable of removing items from their backpack and placing them in the appropriate bins/baskets.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:54 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Because as a former elementary school teacher, it was surprising to find even second graders who had parents who took care of these tasks for them. And it was not easy to convince the parents that their child at seven years of age was capable of removing items from their backpack and placing them in the appropriate bins/baskets.
You're welcome. And don't even get me started on the parents. I've had a parent who literally dressed and undressed her perfectly capable, typically developing three-year-old son. It was disgusting. She also brought him to school in a buggy. Thankfully, when Dad brought him to school, there was no buggy and the boy dressed and undressed himself. I was delighted to see George carrying his backpack. It's his, so he needs to learn to be responsible for carrying it.

Old 01-14-2016, 05:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

Subbed in a kindergarten room with a student who had an IEP for occupational therapy. (No way no how did he TRULY require it.) Mom had just babied him so much that he refused to hang up his own backpack and put his folder in the basket. To avoid the inevitable meltdown, she'd always do it for him. One of his first goals was to take care of this simple task on his own. She would beg him to hang it up. He'd throw a tantrum. She'd hastily hang it up. The teacher's aide finally had to stand outside every morning to bid Mom good-bye and then waited out the boy's tantrum until he finally hung up his backpack and put his own folder in the basket. It took awhile but finally he got the message.

BTW Mom's occupation: Pre-school teacher.
Old 01-14-2016, 05:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post

BTW Mom's occupation: Pre-school teacher.
That's funny! Perhaps she's so fed up with screaming toddlers that she will do anything to avoid having to listen to her own.
Old 01-14-2016, 05:31 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
That's funny! Perhaps she's so fed up with screaming toddlers that she will do anything to avoid having to listen to her own.
To me, this is the importance of the Montessori schooling method for George. No one wants a temper tantrum royal prince on their hands that demands everything under the sun be done for him (if I remember right, there have been a few kings that expected this in history).

To be self sufficient and able to be a part of the world around him perhaps are the best lessons to learn while very young. Another wonderful benefit is that Charlotte is going to grow up learning from example from her brother. I think what George is learning at "school" probably gets taken home with him and he'll try and "teach" Charlotte what he's learned.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 01-14-2016, 07:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

I agree that George like so many proud pre-schoolers will want to show off to their families what they've created at school. Eventually Charlotte might accompany her brother during school drop off and will associate the school with FUN.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:16 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Interest in Montessori nurseries has soared thanks to the Prince George effect, with parents keen on signing up their children to the same education as the future king.

The Maria Montessori Institute in London, which runs a Montessori teacher training centre and a number of schools, say they have been inundated with calls from parents wanting their youngsters to go to a Montessori nursery since it was confirmed the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's son would be attending one.

Two-year-old George had a happy first session at the Westacre Montessori School near William and Kate's country mansion, Anmer Hall, in Norfolk earlier this month and is now enrolled there a few days a week.

Louise Livingston, director of training at the Maria Montessori Institute, told the Press Association: "When it was announced, our phones were ringing off the hook with people asking whether we had space in our nurseries."

She added: "We're still getting lots of calls from parents. Hopefully Charlotte will go there too."
Read more: Montessori nurseries see surge in interest due to 'Prince George effect' - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk
Old 01-24-2016, 03:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Not surprised to see that the interest in their programs has increased.

Speaking as one of the educators on the site, I'm a huge proponent for early childhood education to help foster social skills, pre-literacy, exposure to music, dance, art, science, social studies and more. Also if there are any possible development delays, they can be discussed and a referral to an appropriate agency can be given. So Montessori based or not please make the right choice for your student by viewing the program and researching as much as possible.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:16 PM
Courtier

UK Royal reporter Rob Jobson was on Australian television this morning Rudolph telling us about this.

He also said that the first schools that Prince William and Prince Harry attended were in fact also Montessori schools.

And interestingly for those who remember the sunlight-through-the-skirt photos of Lady Diana Spencer's working days as a nursery school helper - that was also a Montessori school. (News to me.)

Closed Thread

Tags
duchess of cambridge, duke of cambridge, kate middleton, prince william, princess charlotte