Prince George and Princess Charlotte, General News 2: May 2015 - May 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The whole child approach
The primary goal of a Montessori program is to help each child reach their full potential in all areas of life. Activities promote the development of social skills, emotional growth and physical coordination as well as cognitive preparation for future intellectual academic endeavors. The holistic curriculum, under the direction of a specifically prepared teacher, allows the child to experience the joy of learning, the time to enjoy the process and ensures the development of self esteem. It provides the experiences from which children create their knowledge.

More information on the approach is here. Has been very popular here for years.

MontessoriConnections What Makes Montessori Education Unique? - MontessoriConnections

This is the philosophy I used when working as a preschool teacher and I'm still using it at my current job, even though the children are between ages of five and ten. I stressed from the first day that I expected the children to carry their own backpacks (when physically possible), be the ones to put their things in their cubbies, put their jackets on/take them off, clean up after themselves and accept consequences when they made bad choices. The parents loved it and the children learned accountability from an early age. The children at my current job have a lot of physical restrictions, but I encourage them to 'help' their paras when it's lunch/snack time, be able to take out their communication notebooks in the morning/ put them away in the afternoon, find their cubbies and to accept consequences when they make bad choices. It works wonders, because the children have a chance to feel like they're in control and are able to be as independent as possible. I'm so happy that George will be in the environment where he will be allowed to learn important life skills. He may never need to clean his house, but there's no reason for him not to be expected to put away his toys when he's at home as well as in the classroom.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Because as a former elementary school teacher, it was surprising to find even second graders who had parents who took care of these tasks for them. And it was not easy to convince the parents that their child at seven years of age was capable of removing items from their backpack and placing them in the appropriate bins/baskets.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Because as a former elementary school teacher, it was surprising to find even second graders who had parents who took care of these tasks for them. And it was not easy to convince the parents that their child at seven years of age was capable of removing items from their backpack and placing them in the appropriate bins/baskets.

You're welcome. And don't even get me started on the parents. I've had a parent who literally dressed and undressed her perfectly capable, typically developing three-year-old son. It was disgusting. She also brought him to school in a buggy. Thankfully, when Dad brought him to school, there was no buggy and the boy dressed and undressed himself. I was delighted to see George carrying his backpack. It's his, so he needs to learn to be responsible for carrying it.

Subbed in a kindergarten room with a student who had an IEP for occupational therapy. (No way no how did he TRULY require it.) Mom had just babied him so much that he refused to hang up his own backpack and put his folder in the basket. To avoid the inevitable meltdown, she'd always do it for him. One of his first goals was to take care of this simple task on his own. She would beg him to hang it up. He'd throw a tantrum. She'd hastily hang it up. The teacher's aide finally had to stand outside every morning to bid Mom good-bye and then waited out the boy's tantrum until he finally hung up his backpack and put his own folder in the basket. It took awhile but finally he got the message.

BTW Mom's occupation: Pre-school teacher.:whistling:

BTW Mom's occupation: Pre-school teacher.:whistling:

:lol::ROFLMAO: That's funny! Perhaps she's so fed up with screaming toddlers that she will do anything to avoid having to listen to her own.

:lol::ROFLMAO: That's funny! Perhaps she's so fed up with screaming toddlers that she will do anything to avoid having to listen to her own.

To me, this is the importance of the Montessori schooling method for George. No one wants a temper tantrum royal prince on their hands that demands everything under the sun be done for him (if I remember right, there have been a few kings that expected this in history).

To be self sufficient and able to be a part of the world around him perhaps are the best lessons to learn while very young. Another wonderful benefit is that Charlotte is going to grow up learning from example from her brother. I think what George is learning at "school" probably gets taken home with him and he'll try and "teach" Charlotte what he's learned.

I agree that George like so many proud pre-schoolers will want to show off to their families what they've created at school. Eventually Charlotte might accompany her brother during school drop off and will associate the school with FUN. :)

Interest in Montessori nurseries has soared thanks to the Prince George effect, with parents keen on signing up their children to the same education as the future king.

The Maria Montessori Institute in London, which runs a Montessori teacher training centre and a number of schools, say they have been inundated with calls from parents wanting their youngsters to go to a Montessori nursery since it was confirmed the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's son would be attending one.

Two-year-old George had a happy first session at the Westacre Montessori School near William and Kate's country mansion, Anmer Hall, in Norfolk earlier this month and is now enrolled there a few days a week.

Louise Livingston, director of training at the Maria Montessori Institute, told the Press Association: "When it was announced, our phones were ringing off the hook with people asking whether we had space in our nurseries."

She added: "We're still getting lots of calls from parents. Hopefully Charlotte will go there too."
Read more: Montessori nurseries see surge in interest due to 'Prince George effect' - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

Last edited:
:previous:Not surprised to see that the interest in their programs has increased.

Speaking as one of the educators on the site, I'm a huge proponent for early childhood education to help foster social skills, pre-literacy, exposure to music, dance, art, science, social studies and more. Also if there are any possible development delays, they can be discussed and a referral to an appropriate agency can be given. So Montessori based or not please make the right choice for your student by viewing the program and researching as much as possible. :)

UK Royal reporter Rob Jobson was on Australian television this morning Rudolph telling us about this.

He also said that the first schools that Prince William and Prince Harry attended were in fact also Montessori schools.

And interestingly for those who remember the sunlight-through-the-skirt photos of Lady Diana Spencer's working days as a nursery school helper - that was also a Montessori school. (News to me.)

All preschools in Australia follow The Early Years Learning Framework. It is the principles practices and outcomes that support and enhance early learning so parents can be assured of quality care and education. You don't have to go to a Montessori preschool. I would hate parents to think their child was missing out on care etc if they can't go to one

Prince George is well on his way to becoming a model student!

Just four weeks after starting his first day of nursery school, the royal toddler has quickly adapted to his new schedule.

"It has been a very happy time for them as a family," a royal source says. "Prince George is settling in the nursery school very well. And the family is very grateful for the widespread goodwill they have received from around the world.”

George and his parents Prince William and Princess Kate enjoyed their first holiday together as a family with Princess Charlotte.

The family is still the primary focus for Kate, 34, but she is set to throw her royal spotlight behind Children's Mental Health Week, which begins next Monday. She's expected to release a video message backing the cause, and has her first engagement – supporting her new patronage of the RAF cadets – on Sunday.
Read more: Prince George Is Adjusting 'Very Well' to Nursery School : People.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Rebecca English @RE_DailyMail
#PrinceGeorge is 'obsessed' with aircraft after being shown pictures of Spitfires after a royal engagement mum Kate has revealed #aircadets

Rebecca English @RE_DailyMail
#PrinceGeorge is 'obsessed' with aircraft after being shown pictures of Spitfires after a royal engagement mum Kate has revealed #aircadets

And so it begins...:):D

What little boy is not obsessed with planes, trains and automobiles at that age:ermm:

Some little boys are interested in dolls and want nothing to do with planes, trains and automobiles

George is going through the phase of really discovering his world around him and will find lots and lots of stuff that totally fascinates him. He's beginning to have preferences and will love macaroni and cheese and loathe carrots while wanting to wear a favorite shirt every day. Its what kids do. He's learning to make decisions.

I just can't help but think when hearing about how George loves trains, planes and things that go fast, he takes after his daddy the 'copter pilot and his Uncle Harry that flew them really big 'copters and loved all things military from a very young age.

He is exposed to so many things not most little kids are as lucky. He can get up close to helicopters, soldiers on horsebacks, the farm equipment on the estates, plus all the animals running around etc.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

George is certainly not the only child who has been to a petting zoo or been on a farm :ROFLMAO: At this age, he hasn't really been exposed to anything most children haven't been, other than maybe when they went to Australia.

The 'he likes planes' is just a generic phrase. Its like saying about a girl 'she likes dolls'. It sounds like something someone who knows nothing about a child would say. I am sorry but if they had been a sea cadets event, Kate would likely have said 'he loves boats, he wants to be a sailor'. She was making small talk, no ground breaking revelation IMO.

What little boy is not obsessed with planes, trains and automobiles at that age:ermm:

I'm sure there are plenty of little boys that don't like planes, trains, etc. Just like not all little girls love dolls.

At that age it is actually natural for kids, both boys and girls,to like toys that have wheels on them. Its part of their development. And yes, most children even boys, like dolls at that age as well. At the age of two children tend to be mimicking adults around them. Not making some sexist comment about boy children, anyone who has worked with children at that developmental stage will have observed this. It is why kid's toys are developed for kids 2-3 that have a lot to do with motion/movement.

So what's the grievance? That Kate said George likes airplanes and a reporter tweeted it?

It takes some doing to turn this into a negative, but it is a Cambridge thread so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

So what's the grievance? That Kate said George likes airplanes and a reporter tweeted it?

It takes some doing to turn this into a negative, but it is a Cambridge thread so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

I'm with you; I don't quite get what the problems is. George likes planes, other boys may or may not like them. What is the big deal? His father and uncle fly helicopters, so it's not surprising that he'd be interested in flying machines.

All I said was 'what little boy doesn't like airplanes'. What is the big deal with saying that :bang: But I get accused of being sexist.

I was simply stating an OPINION that 'a little boy likes airplanes' is not news worthy. Its as newsworthy as the sun rose in the east this morning. I am entitle to my opinion.

You don't think its a big deal, stop making a big deal about it. Not everyone thinks everything Catherine and Wills utter is ground breaking news.

But of course I forgot this site is only for people who think Kate walks on water. So forgot all I said

Here: Catherine should be nominated for mother of the year as under her encouragement George is sure to be the youngest pilot ever.

Is that flowery enough for you:flowers:

I think it's time to move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom