The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 05:47 PM
Courtier

The second part of the article does give the impression, however I'd prefer a confirmation from a more reliable source than Daily Express.

It does look like the Kents will be staying at Kensington Palace though, whatever the conditions will be - there is a quote from the Kents' spokesman at the very end of the article: "It is not the Prince and Princess’s intention to buy another property in or outside London. They plan to stay at Kensington Palace".

Although I love Prince and Princess Michael, I hope the rent they will pay is considerably higher than the previously paid £3,650; I'd hate to think of the headlines and the negative press the Royal Family will get otherwise. Why, the Daily Mail may burst with excitement at such an opportunity to post new "Pushy" stories.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:44 PM
Heir Apparent

I'd much prefer to see the Michaels stay at Kensington Palace; for one thing, they're as secure there as any of the other Royals. If there had to be financial outlay for protecting them on another site, there would be howls about that. It's true that they're not on the civil list, but neither are the great majority of the current crop of RH's. However, I agree that they should pay something much more like fair rental value than they have previously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsel View Post

It does look like the Kents will be staying at Kensington Palace though, whatever the conditions will be - there is a quote from the Kents' spokesman at the very end of the article: "It is not the Prince and Princess’s intention to buy another property in or outside London. They plan to stay at Kensington Palace".

Although I love Prince and Princess Michael, I hope the rent they will pay is considerably higher than the previously paid £3,650; I'd hate to think of the headlines and the negative press the Royal Family will get otherwise. Why, the Daily Mail may burst with excitement at such an opportunity to post new "Pushy" stories.

Old 11-25-2009, 04:13 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
It’s not in my nature to feel particularly sorry for Princess Michael of Kent but if I were her I would have been mildly depressed by the “scoop” in one of last week’s London papers (not the Telegraph) that had been predicted in another (again not the Telegaph) two weeks earlier.
Read more: Fair play for a princess – Telegraph Blogs
Old 11-27-2009, 08:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Well, it was Her Majesty's wish to allow Prince and Princess Michael to pay a somewhat symbolic rent. I am sure that the couple is going to pay the rent in accordance with market prices.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:42 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Princess Michael attended "A night under the stars" held
at the Royal Festival Hall in aid of the Passage that helps
the homeless, London, November 27, 2009. No bigger pics
yet

----> Pics
Old 11-29-2009, 05:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

So if the Kents are staying at Kensington Palace does that mean they're not closing the Palace like they were going to do? Weren't they turning it over to the govt.?
Old 11-29-2009, 10:33 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Thanks for the pictures, Iceflower. As I remember right "A night under the stars" was also attended by Stephen Fry. Pity that there aren't a few more pictures available...

Princess Michael of Kent joins conservation crusade in the Bahamas

Quote:
The Princess flew to Nassau in the Bahamas on Friday to support a charity set up by her friend the late Sir Nicholas Nuttall, who moved to the island in the 1970s as a tax exile, to protect the reef and fish stocks in the area.

As patron of the Bahamas Reef Environment Educational Foundation (BREEF), she was guest of honour at a ball on Saturday night whose riotous theme was A Nostalgic Evening in Old Nassau, celebrating the "fabulous era of native clubs, food, entertainment and dancing".
Read more: Princess Michael of Kent joins conservation crusade in the Bahamas - Telegraph
Old 12-04-2009, 03:36 AM
Super Moderator

Pics 2.12.2009

You're welcome, Dierna23

Actor Sylvester Stallone and Princess Michael of Kent attend
Art Basel Miami on December 2, 2009 in Miami Beach, Florida.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **
Old 12-04-2009, 05:42 AM
Heir Apparent

So nothing like a bit of winter sun for Princess Michael just before Xmas!!!
Old 12-04-2009, 08:06 PM
Courtier

And she's just been to the Bahamas. Next stop New York to visit Lord Freddie
Old 12-04-2009, 08:57 PM
Gentry

I have read a couple of news reports that Princess Michael was working the fair booth as a Consultant for Galerie Gmurzynska at Art Basel Miami. I love this entrepreneurial spirit she has.

Princess Michael of Kent, clad in a lavender suit, chatted with clients and visitors at the booth. Stallone held court in the back half of the stand, where his colorful expressionistic paintings hung on a wall [BloombergNews].

It reminded me an article I came across from the early 1980s which referred to her as something along the lines of "Britain's first employed princess".
Old 12-05-2009, 11:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for the update on Princess Michael's activities!
It is nice to see Princess Michael participating in the trendy environmental causes. Of course, the Telegraph article has got a usual acerbic tone.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

Pics 10.12.2009

Princess Michael of Kent attending the 2009 Sparks Winter Ball
at the Hilton Hotel, London, December 10, 2009

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 **
Old 12-11-2009, 09:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

It's been documented from numerous reliable sources for years The Queen is not crazy about Marie-Christine. She certainly can be quite haughty and is known to be rather demanding, even when The Queen is accomodating.

She is, however, extremely fond of Prince Michael and is likely willing to help out to ensure they have a secure residence at Kensington Palace. The Queen is always generous when it comes to helping her family.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:27 AM
Aristocracy

Do we have any primary sources that provide 'sound' evidence that MC has been 'rather demanding , even when the Queen is accommodating.'? I do not mean to be rude, but all I can gather is that the press have fueled such perceptions and yet I have never read a single proven fact that substantiates such assessments!

'I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.'
Old 12-12-2009, 03:35 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I agree, Connie. I think all these quotes about Marie-Christine's haughtiness are based on press stories. Even if Her Majesty likes her or not is speculation in my eyes.

Nice pictures btw, MC seems pretty tanned from her trip to the Bahamas and Florida. But what happened to her hair?
Old 12-12-2009, 10:10 AM
Aristocracy

Hi,

Well, the press & media need a 'bad girl' and/or a 'naughty boy' in order to sell "stories"...
And, as I've said many times, once it's all in "print" or on TV, then it's "gospel".. Whether it's the truth or not doesn't matter and the public eats it up and it's all repeated and then poor Marie Christine - she's a villain, whether she wants to be or not.

I know someone who sat beside her at a state dinner, and she was the most intelligent and humourous and interesting person there. Everyone else was enchanted with her - and she was a "hit"...
Maybe it's all down to jealousy!!

Larry
Old 12-13-2009, 02:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Larry, though Marie-Christine is lovely, etc. she's brought her share of scandal on the BRF.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:59 AM
Aristocracy

Would you like to elaborate Russo? The rather inappropriate comments about 'colonies' that she voiced in New york excepted!

'I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.'
Old 12-13-2009, 03:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie Cutmantle View Post
Would you like to elaborate Russo? The rather inappropriate comments about 'colonies' that she voiced in New york excepted!
I'm talking about the numerous reported affairs she had, it's 11:03 pm and Russo is tired after having some rum and cokes so she's not equipped to go into detail about Marie-Christine, though! There has been a lot of past things that she has done, (calling Wallis "aunty wallis" and taking a pair of earrings from her and wearing them in front of HMTQ) though it seems that she has been keeping herself out of trouble of late I wonder about the Kensington bill, etc. Russo is going to bed now and she shall address this later. I do enjoy Prince/ss Michael of Kent though there is still some scandal attached to them.Does this make sense? Warren, your services might be in order here. . .