Kate Middleton Current Events 14: November-December 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Prim said:
they are going to feed into that whether it's based on facts or not.:)

What the press does, is set itself up as makers and breakers. They spent years reporting lies (which they got away with) about Charles & Camilla and as a result turned some people against them. They 'made' Diana and when she no longer wanted to 'play ball', they started to turn on her.

They are trying to do the same with William and Catherine. The more they can convince the public to follow their lead, the more hold they think they will have over the couple. It is almost an ultimatum, 'You be nice to us, (give us some leads), and we will be nice to you (print positive stories). They know a lot of their readership is guilible.

All IMO. :)

Prim said:
Kate is a public figure now that she dates the prince. In my opinion, she needs security and has done very well with her status. I think she sees herself having a good chance of becoming a Queen of England and wants to make sure she plays the cards right. :ermm:

we've had this discussion before and there are people that would agree with the "kate's a public figure" and there those that say she's not because she's not married to william and isn't supported financially by him. you are definitely right when you say that she plays her cards right though.

Call 999 and ask for the Fashion Police Wing of the Nazi Party - they'll soon sort her out for this heinous crime.

Avalon said:
Catherine is Kate's real name. It's been stated that Kate prefers to be called Catherine, not shortened way of it, Kate.
As far as we know, Prince William is still dating Kate (Catherine) Middleton.

Oops, I didn't realize it's the same person. I wonder why she doesn't spell Catherine with a 'K' or Kate with a 'C' to make it less confusing. :wacko:
oh well, thanks for clarifying Avalon.

Elspeth said:
Art history isn't that marketable a degree subject. There are a lot more graduates than jobs in related areas. I think a lot of people with degrees in art history don't go on to careers in a closely related subject. It's not at all unusual for a person with a degree in art history to go into the fashion business as Kate's doing rather than looking for work in a gallery or a museum.

I have a graduate degree in Art History and there are a number of career choices our there besides museums. Although I did spend my career in a museum it is a very versatile degree, fashion being one of the choices. Another choice has been private art advisor (choosing to intern at Sotheby's or Chirstie's first), then adding degrees to the art history is architect, interior designer, artist, editor at a publishing house etc. It is a spring board to other things if one chooses to do so. If she does become William's wife her degree will be invaluable when she travels to meet other royals, or heads of state. JMO.

I've been working longer than William and Kate have been alive. I knew immediately that Kate was no accessories buyer, she is an assistant or less, basically a gopher at the bottom rung, especially in that cutthroat field. That was plainly obvious in the news accounts I read. Even if the papers didn't make this clear, as someone who has worked in private industry my entire professional career I knew she would be doing menial tasks in this job, connections or not. This is a gratis to someone with connections, clearly someone the business owners know will be a lucrative acquaintance, hence the stay at the villa and now a job to provide cover for the future king's love interest. It's savvy and calculated on the Robinsons' part. And as my Tony Soprano would say: "it's business."

No serious career person would believe that she was hired as THE accessories buyer with no credentials, that's ridiculous.

Warren, you're wicked!:lol:

Last edited:
The press does not know anything about Kate. Not even the name that she goes by. So why are people on this web making fun of her? It is the press that does not know any details about her and write what they want.

I don't think Kate has had it easy being in the spot light these last eighteen months. Even a book written about her that has not come to the United States was published.

She has gone slow and steady through each new experience with this fame. I think the only mistake she has made is not getting a job. Could it be that she thought this out too?

I do not see Kate and William getting married until he is out of the military. Just like he said about 28 - 30. Again the press is making this proposal news. :ohmy:

lord_rankin said:
While I don't dislike her I do agree with your statement, she does not communicate any real charisma or personality in photographs the way Diana did. I also agree that comparing the two is a recipe for disaster, they seem to be polar opposites thus far. Camilla version 2.0 is more of a fair comparison. :lol:

Charisma is learned or acquired. Diana didn't exhibit much charisma initially. Let's give the girl a chance, if she's the one William picks.

iowabelle said:
Charisma is learned or acquired. Diana didn't exhibit much charisma initially. Let's give the girl a chance, if she's the one William picks.

i'd disagree...i think charisma is something you have or don't and if you don't have it you never will. we can't say that catherine doesn't have it because we don't enough about her to be able know.

Luv2Cruise said:
I've been working longer than William and Kate have been alive. I knew immediately that Kate was no accessories buyer, she is an assistant or less, basically a gopher at the bottom rung, especially in that cutthroat field. That was plainly obvious in the news accounts I read. Even if the papers didn't make this clear, as someone who has worked in private industry my entire professional career I knew she would be doing menial tasks in this job, connections or not. This is a gratis to someone with connections, clearly someone the business owners know will be a lucrative acquaintance, hence the stay at the villa and now a job to provide cover for the future king's love interest. It's savvy and calculated on the Robinsons' part. And as my Tony Soprano would say: "it's business."

No serious career person would believe that she was hired as THE accessories buyer with no credentials, that's ridiculous.:lol:

totally agree with you there. it just annoys me that these newspapers print this stuff and then when it's public knowledge that it's incorrect they just kind of ignore the fact that they were wrong by not correcting themselves.

georgiea said:
...I don't think Kate has had it easy being in the spot light these last eighteen months. Even a book written about her that has not come to the United States was published.
It looks like she has had it extremely easy over the past 18 months. She is praised to the sky by the press as "stylish, stunning Kate" who will no doubt be the future queen of England. She is called smart for getting an art history degree while Chelsy Davy is called dumb for earning a more difficult economics degree. Her partying, club hopping, vacationing and lack of work is excused while Chelsy is called a party girl. Yup, Kate's had it very easy.

Not that I'm defending the way the media has glorified Kate and completely bashed Chelsy, but I think it has much to do with the "wild" photos published of Chelsy - the 'butt-crack' pictures, the drunken pictures, etc. - versus the more "respectable" pictures that are taken of Kate. Sure, Kate has appeared intoxicated in a photo or two, but she is usually photographed appearing in respectable clothes, usually sober, etc. Furthermore, we get the stories of Harry and Chelsy doing things like heading into the bathroom together, very drunk, at a party, versus stories about William and Kate and their somewhat more "boring" (as some people have described) lives. That doesn't mean that William and Kate don't do crazy things, but not a lot of those stories have been revealed by "close sources" the same way they have about Harry and Chelsy, hence the huge discrepancy in the coverage of Kate and Chelsy. Just my humble opinion though.

politikgirl said:
Not that I'm defending the way the media has glorified Kate and completely bashed Chelsy, but I think it has much to do with the "wild" photos published of Chelsy - the 'butt-crack' pictures, the drunken pictures, etc. - versus the more "respectable" pictures that are taken of Kate. Sure, Kate has appeared intoxicated in a photo or two, but she is usually photographed appearing in respectable clothes, usually sober, etc. Furthermore, we get the stories of Harry and Chelsy doing things like heading into the bathroom together, very drunk, at a party, versus stories about William and Kate and their somewhat more "boring" (as some people have described) lives. That doesn't mean that William and Kate don't do crazy things, but not a lot of those stories have been revealed by "close sources" the same way they have about Harry and Chelsy, hence the huge discrepancy in the coverage of Kate and Chelsy. Just my humble opinion though.

You bring up valid points I think, politikgirl.
It seems to me that both William and Kate are, by innate personality, naturally more reserved and circumspect in public and protective of their privacy.

I agree, selrahc4. They both seem to be more reserved about things, at least in public, and try to stay out of the media spotlight, unless, for William, he's doing something in an "official" capacity. And obviously they do have this in common, which is why William's with Kate and not Chelsy, and why Harry's with Chelsy and not Kate... ;)

politikgirl said:
I agree, selrahc4. They both seem to be more reserved about things, at least in public, and try to stay out of the media spotlight, unless, for William, he's doing something in an "official" capacity. And obviously they do have this in common, which is why William's with Kate and not Chelsy, and why Harry's with Chelsy and not Kate... ;)

Well it hasn't been yet an official statement for the engagement so they are reserved and they don't speak at all to the press! It happens with all Royals, see Letizia and Filipe, see Frederik and Mary of Denmark, only when their engagement turns to be official they ahev spokent o the press!!!

politikgirl said:

I would agree that Kate & William have practised more discretion regarding their relationship when compared to Harry & Chelsy and that is probably why the media portrays Kate in a more "favorable light". Maybe it's not fair...but it is a fact that "appearances" and how one conducts oneself in public contributes to how one is portrayed in the media.

I think there definitly is a bias in the media against Chelsy. Kate had been photographed leaving clubs in the early mornings quite often. Chelsy has only been photographed the odd ones out, like her summer visit with Harry or her 21st birthday. As to clothes, Chelsy's fashion choice is just normal for young women her age. If anything, I think Kate's fashion is a lot more studied conservative. It is a lot easier to sell a headline using the "dumb blonde" hook than "dumb brunette".

Over the last year Chelsy seems to have not had the misfortune of the photogs snapping her coming out of the club. Probably because it was her last year of school she seems to have knuckled down. Same for Harry since he has been in the military -- not a peep out of him. So hopefully, as Harry's uncle Andrew at Harry's age, the embarrassing episodes are behind him and Chelsy for the most part, and the press will lay off.

It is very hard to live down an image once you have repeatedly shown to a ravenous press, i.e. Harry's drinking, getting high, fighting, nazi dressup, and groping antics, and Chelsy changing tops in the back of a cab and staring blankly, mouth agape and cigarette hanging limply between her fingers with drink in hand in some club. Nothing wrong with it, they were young, but the press feeds their families on made-up stories to go along with those unfortunate images.

William seemed from Day 1 to have been an astute observer of this fact of their lives, given he is older and saw up front and personal how the press made his mother's life a living hell. Sometimes a broken home/bitter divorce/bad home life has a sobering and maturing effect on some children. I think this is Willilam's case. Hence he'll have his fun, but he is a master at not giving the press one inch of rope to hang him with. He also knows how to pick his friends and keep his women quiet. LOL

Last edited:
Kendra said:
It is unreasonable to ask public to not make assumption and judgements about a girl that has been in the public eye for more than 4 years now, in my opinion.

I don't think its unreasonable at all. After all, Kate herself hasn't been in the public eye much at all but mention of her has been. Therein lies the difference. If we had seen a steady stream of pictures of her in public, going to work, etc. over the four year period, I daresay we could have come to some pretty good conclusions about what type of person she is.

But we haven't had that luxury because she's kept a low profile.

I agree with you that there are people who think she's totally unsuitable and others who think she's the best thing since sliced bread, but there are others who just accept that William has a girlfriend who seems like she's his type and may or may not be the one. Those of us in the last group are willing to just wait and see.

Luv2Cruise said:
It is very hard to live down an image once you have repeatedly shown to a ravenous press, i.e. Harry's drinking, getting high, fighting, nazi dressup, and groping antics, and Chelsy changing tops in the back of a cab and staring blankly, mouth agape and cigarette hanging limply between her fingers with drink in hand in some club. Nothing wrong with it, they were young, but the press feeds their families on made-up stories to go along with those unfortunate images.

I don't think its impossible to change that type of image but you're right it is difficult.

I may be offbase but I think one of the reasons that Chelsy is thought dumb is that she has the public appearance of a WAG (soccer players wives and girlfriends) the hair, the open mouth, the tight clothing. I'm sure some of these girls are really nice but they have been getting a lot of unfavorable press recently - the soccer players they date aren't known for their smarts and so the women are thought dumb and rather cheap by association.

I personally think the girls are OK for soccer players but for a Prince of the UK, the type looks out of place. But I think the type really suits Harry.

William seemed from Day 1 to have been an astute observer of this fact of their lives
You mean William has been boring from Day 1. Harry does all those things but he loves living life and I say he's a wonderful example to us all.

Wether she's the ONE or not; you have to give the girl a lot of credit for her discretion. The press has been on her case for at least the last 2 years and no major gaffes. I think Ysbel is right on the money, because she has been so discreet we don't really know anything about her. The truth is what do we really know about Mary, Letitzia or Maxima? They have been exemplary cown princesses who do their jobs well. They look good, smile at the right time and have produced heirs. We have become accustomed to the BRF washing their linen in public and I think this quiet is a breath of fresh air. The monarchy has become too transparent and I think a bit of secrecy is very nice.

ysbel said:
I don't think its impossible to change that type of image but you're right it is difficult.

I may be offbase but I think one of the reasons that Chelsy is thought dumb is that she has the public appearance of a WAG (soccer players wives and girlfriends) the hair, the open mouth, the tight clothing. I'm sure some of these girls are really nice but they have been getting a lot of unfavorable press recently - the soccer players they date aren't known for their smarts and so the women are thought dumb and rather cheap by association.

I personally think the girls are OK for soccer players but for a Prince of the UK, the type looks out of place. But I think the type really suits Harry.
So just because she is blonde are people going to assume she is "dumb"- don't think so- that's a tad "blondist"- lots of blonde women are bright. The WAGs tend to be dyed blondes and how stupid does one have to be to have to put up with a footballer- that's why they are the type of characters they are. Chelsy has her degree and hopefully the news about her continuing her academic career is correct. Harry's negative news is from the drivelled press- together he and Chelsy make a vibrant couple and hopefully will set a good example for the new royals if their relationship continues

juliana said:
So just because she is blonde are people going to assume she is "dumb"- don't think so- that's a tad "blondist"-

I think you misunderstood me, :flowers: I didn't say anything about blond. I don't think being blond in itself would cause people to think someone's dumb.

I was more referring to her total look. Her hair is a little unkempt and it looks like its dyed, it wouldn't necessarily have to be dyed blond to make me think that, it could look like it was dyed red and I'd have the same impression. That combined with the clothing and the open mouth expression just makes me think WAG.

I agree that Chelsy is probably very intelligent but if so, her look doesn't really reflect that.

BeatrixFan said:
You mean William has been boring from Day 1. Harry does all those things but he loves living life and I say he's a wonderful example to us all.

So is being boring the kiss of death for you, BeatrixFan? :lol:

Definately. If someone's boring they may as well be pushing up daisies for all the enjoyment and colour they bring.

ysbel said:
I was more referring to her total look. Her hair is a little unkempt and it looks like its dyed, it wouldn't necessarily have to be dyed blond to make me think that, it could look like it was dyed red and I'd have the same impression. That combined with the clothing and the open mouth expression just makes me think WAG.

I agree that Chelsy is probably very intelligent but if so, her look doesn't really reflect that.

Her colour is from a bottle, is it not?

I don't think she has the looks to be considered a serious wag! :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom