British Royal Family Current Events 7: January 2014-April 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I love Elvis so I am totally envious ... the wedding is of no interest but Elvis .. give me a shiny cape and a microphone and I am anyone's.. they are too lucky and a private visit OMG .

I thought it was the reception that was themed not the wedding.

That dude on twitter was posting pictures of William on the Tarmac getting on the plane in Memphis then on the plane and then in airport in Dallas. That is pretty over top if he was a local Memphis news guy.

Interesting that Sgt Probert was with William in Memphis instead of in England with Kate and George. She didn't go on the Aus NZ tour so she probably has to fill in because the tour RPOs are probably due some vacation after working 3 weeks straight.

In a shocking development, the DM is complaining about the security bill

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/a...MCKAY-Should-pay-50k-guard-party-princes.html

I don't see how the get the 50k total. The RPOs would have been with William and Harry if they were in KP instead of Memphis. It just the airfare and lodgings and supposedly W&H stayed at a private residence. I don't understand why the York girls still have RPOs all the time.

It is not like politicians who have police protection don't ever leave the country. They do it all the time.

PETER MCKAY: Should we pay £50k to guard the party princes? | Mail Online

I don't see how the get the 50k total. The RPOs would have been with William and Harry if they were in KP instead of Memphis. It just the airfare and lodgings and supposedly W&H stayed at a private residence. I don't understand why the York girls still have RPOs all the time.

It is not like politicians who have police protection don't ever leave the country. They do it all the time.

If I'm not mistaken, the York princess' security is paid for privately by their father.

Westminster AbbeyVerified account
‏@wabbey
Her Majesty The Queen, Sovereign of the Order, arrives and is met by the Dean of Westminster
https://twitter.com/wabbey/status/464709750148829184/photo/1

Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail 14m
This is significant: plans to recreate historic Order of the Bath service image showing Queen in full regalia like her father now cancelled

Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail 8m
Queen due to be photographed making an offering during the ceremony but last night aides admitted she couldn't manage it in heavy regalia...

Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail 7m
Prince Charles will now step in to make the presentation of gold and silver coins....

Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail 3m
The Queen still there in full regalia but it's a rare BP acknowledgement that at 88 she is finding her role occasionally more challenging.

'For her comfort' The Queen pulls out of part of her duties at historic ceremony-
Queen pulls out of part of her duties at historic Westminster Abbey ceremony | Royal | News | Daily Express

Well, I can't wait to see the photograph of Charles taking over the role.

Here is one, compared with the George V painting

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BnMb1ntIQAAlu-v.jpg:large

The reason this made news, apparently, is that the media were told that HMQ was going to give a photo opportunity re replicating the painting of her grandfather (George V). That's why they had to be tld it wasn't going to take place.

There are more pictures available on the Westminster Abbey twitter site @wabbey.

Last edited:
I, for one, am glad that HM doesn't take her duties so far as to try to maintain doing things that would prove to be uncomfortable and perhaps a bit dangerous for her.

Its occurred to me too that there was a very positive thing for HM in making this decision. Mothers often have moments where they get to stand there and puff their chest out feeling very proud of their children such as graduations and weddings and other accomplishments. This had to be very special for HM as she watched her eldest son in full regalia performing a role that has been done by monarchs of the family for ages. I can imagine her thinking "Yes, he will be a good King" and feeling very, very happy.

I, for one, am glad that HM doesn't take her duties so far as to try to maintain doing things that would prove to be uncomfortable and perhaps a bit dangerous for her.

Its occurred to me too that there was a very positive thing for HM in making this decision. Mothers often have moments where they get to stand there and puff their chest out feeling very proud of their children such as graduations and weddings and other accomplishments. This had to be very special for HM as she watched her eldest son in full regalia performing a role that has been done by monarchs of the family for ages. I can imagine her thinking "Yes, he will be a good King" and feeling very, very happy.

Perfectly said and in a lovely way too. :)

I have to say this ho-ha is beyond me.

The "courtiers" (whatever) decided it was too much for HMQ, in regalia, to do this twice.

"this" is http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02906/steps-queen_2906242c.jpg

She would gone up/down these steps twice; courtiers decided once should be enough and, surprisingly, she agreed.

She could, however, manage these
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/05/09/article-2624261-1DB3EF3800000578-522_964x1218.jpg

I've got dodgy knees, stairs defeat me although I'm nifty on the flat. I'm not frail or sick, and neither IMO is the Queen. Why do the Palace insist on making some sort of "souffle" out of a basic mix. they make it worse than it is and the media increase the angst to sell more papers. Just awful

Just hovering for the worst news. so awful

:previous:
The media are circling like vultures. They are waiting for the next big Royal news story.

PETER MCKAY: Should we pay £50k to guard the party princes? | Mail Online

Only the RPO's on actual duty would have been with William and Harry at the time they were in the private residence but the others must be accommodate in first class accommodation and travel first class as well - so 6 - 8 of the RPOs would have had rooms in 5 star hotels nearby and first class airfares to and from the UK while the other 2 - 4 would be temporarily placed wherever William and Harry are. They are all also paid overtime for the hours outside their actual normal working hours so - paid normal pay for 8 hours but then overtime for the other 16 hours per day as they have to be 'working' in the sense they can't be at home with their families or do their own thing. They also have to have their meals - and again these are high class.

I remember learning all this when Eugenie was on her gap year and she was staying in backpacker hostels but her security (as she was still in 'education phase) had to be accommodated in five star hotels and have first class airfares paid for by the taxpayers.

They have 6 - 8 allocated to them each with 2 on duty and the others not - but when overseas those others have to be paid and paid appropriately.

50,000 pounds sounds right to me.

We don't know the full security costs of the BRF but 200 million pounds annually is a reasonable estimate for The Queen, DoE, PoW, DoC, DoC, DoC, George, Harry, DoY, EoW and PR who have protection 24/7 while Sophie, Richard, Birgitte, Edward and Alexandra only have it when on official duties.

Security is NOT just the salaries of the RPO's but the costs of the surveillance etc of the royal palaces, the costs of RPO's when overseas and on longer tours they often are replaced mid-tour or holiday (not on a short less than 3 week tour like William and Kate did) the maintenance of things electronic stuff etc. (My school has only electronic security but it costs over $100,000 annually to maintain with the back-to-base stuff as well and with so many palaces etc the costs for the BRF would be thousands and thousands more than that.

Last edited:
I have to say this ho-ha is beyond me.

The "courtiers" (whatever) decided it was too much for HMQ, in regalia, to do this twice.

"this" is http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02906/steps-queen_2906242c.jpg

She would gone up/down these steps twice; courtiers decided once should be enough and, surprisingly, she agreed.

She could, however, manage these
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/05/09/article-2624261-1DB3EF3800000578-522_964x1218.jpg

I've got dodgy knees, stairs defeat me although I'm nifty on the flat. I'm not frail or sick, and neither IMO is the Queen. Why do the Palace insist on making some sort of "souffle" out of a basic mix. they make it worse than it is and the media increase the angst to sell more papers. Just awful

Just hovering for the worst news. so awful

It was explained why. This picture, that has never been taken of what is a very sacred part of the Service ever before, was to have been taken of HM taking part in that part of the Service. When the run through took place, it was discovered HM was concerned about having to deal w/the steepness of the stairs and her long dress and robe. Combine that w/the fact there is no railing w/the stairs coming and going from the stall to the area proper of the Abbey and HM's own knee issues, made perfect sense to me.

As far as this announcement, the media were allowed inside the Order of the Bath Service for this particular picture to be taken. They were told it would be The Queen performing this part of the Service and were told from what I understand several weeks ago it would be HM doing this. Hoo haw? You want to talk about a media hoo haw? Okay then, how about if the Media had shown up at the service w/out any heads up about the change made and/or why Prince Charles was performing this part of the Service in place of his Mother? Now that would have been awful and I don't even want to think of the Media Firestorm that could have happened if the Palace had not handled this the way it did.

I just don't understand why you're so upset about something that was actually handled pretty professionally by the Press Dept at the Palace. Which considering the screw ups of the not so distant past, I was beginning to wonder if they'd ever get their act together.

Last edited:
Beatrice is really embracing the Royal life as of late. Her skirt is interesting, to say the least.

I love Garden Party season!

Beatrice is really embracing the Royal life as of late. Her skirt is interesting, to say the least.

I love Garden Party season!

I agree, she really like participating in the "Firm's" activities whenever she can. Beatrice and her sister really do enjoy helping their grandparents and hanging out with them.

Beatrice seems to be in no hurry to get a job after leaving her last position which, IIRC, was in a bank in the City. She seems to have been coasting along for quite a while now. Eugenie obviously has a full-time job, I wonder what's stopping Beatrice?

Not criticising, just querying.

She has been working as an intern at Sony this year. Internships are a way into a job but they don't get the pay etc of full-time employees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom