The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 03:24 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMQueenElizabethII View Post
According to some sources, only the Earl and Countess of Wessex and the Duke of Kent were there, HM was not there.
Thanks for that update, HMQueenElizabethII.

Here's an additional gallery from the Stakes at Ascot, Prince
Edward, Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie attended on
Saturday, see my post on the previous page:

** Stakes at Ascot - July 25, 2009 **

Old 07-28-2009, 01:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

What exactly is the "Stakes at Ascot"? It's not like the week of Ascot in June is it?

Old 07-28-2009, 06:03 AM
Imperial Majesty

The Ascot Stakes is a class 2 handicap race over 2 mile and 4 furlongs, for horses aged 4 years old and above, run during the Royal Ascot meeting.

Ascot Stakes Royal Ascot Betting 2009

The pictures shown were from The King George VI & Queen Elizabeth Stakes, 25th July. There are a huge variety of 'Stakes', as well as The Ascot Stakes, if you look to the bottom of the linked page, it shows a few.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:03 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Nice to Beatrice and Eugenie with their Uncle.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post

The Ascot Stakes is a class 2 handicap race over 2 mile and 4 furlongs, for horses aged 4 years old and above, run during the Royal Ascot meeting.

Ascot Stakes Royal Ascot Betting 2009

The pictures shown were from The King George VI & Queen Elizabeth Stakes, 25th July. There are a huge variety of 'Stakes', as well as The Ascot Stakes, if you look to the bottom of the linked page, it shows a few.
Thanks for the explanation and the link Skydragon.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:27 PM
Courtier

First Sikh soldiers go on parade to guard the Queen… without traditional forage cap

Quote:
They are not quite what the tourists might expect when they come looking for a snapshot of a Buckingham Palace guard.

There's not a red coat or a bearskin in sight - but there are two immaculately wrapped turbans in fetching shades of blue.
Because they are changing the guard at Buckingham Palace.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:42 PM
Heir Apparent

That is so very cool!
Old 07-31-2009, 11:37 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

They look very smart indeed. It's great to see the royal forces being so inclusive!

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 08-13-2009, 05:25 AM
Imperial Majesty

It was the biggest migration the country had ever known - more than three million children evacuated from their homes to escape Hitler's bombs.
Farmed out to foster homes or safe havens in Britain and abroad, some joined the war effort by helping with the harvest or by collecting metal to make weapons

Read more: The biggest British migration ever... but now Royals snub reunion of wartime evacuees | Mail Online
Old 08-13-2009, 05:41 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
It was the biggest migration the country had ever known - more than three million children evacuated from their homes to escape Hitler's bombs.
Farmed out to foster homes or safe havens in Britain and abroad, some joined the war effort by helping with the harvest or by collecting metal to make weapons

Read more: The biggest British migration ever... but now Royals snub reunion of wartime evacuees | Mail Online
Well I know I'm buying right into the paper's hype, but I do think that it would've been a good thing to have some royal attendance, even if not the Queen.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:07 PM
Courtier

Knickers and other unmentionables: (un)diplomatic US view of royal tours

Quote:
They are the stories you never read about the royals: a narrowly averted moment of embarrassment when the Queen was nearly taken on a tour of an underwear factory in Jamaica, and a moving, conciliatory speech made by Prince Andrew in Argentina after the Falklands war.
<...>
Meanwhile, US officials wrote that sheikhs in the United Arab Emirates were "enthralled" by Charles and Diana in 1989. "The [sheikhs] seem to have forgiven the British for any excesses they may have suffered under imperial rule ... there is far more fondness than rancor for the British". The royal couple's visit was "hugely successful", especially as the British were "sparing no political attention to enhance their economic interests" in the UAE.
<...>
In 1997, Charles toured Saudi Arabia, when relations with Britain had been put under strain over Saudi dissidents in London. "Spreading his message that the west can learn from Islam's spirituality, the Prince of Wales charmed his Saudi audience, royals and plebeians alike," reported the American diplomats.
A very nice and interesting article, in my opinion. We are so used to criticizing the Royals for everything that we often forget of the constructive and positive, albeit subtle influence they have on different matters. For example, I think Prince Andrew's speech in Argentina or Prince Charles's 1997 tour of Saudi Arabia did have actual results: in the case of the former, it may have helped to heal the wounds from the war to some extent, in the case of the latter, as the article says, Prince Charles spread the message that the west can learn from Islam's spirituality.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:05 AM
Imperial Majesty

HER Majesty the Queen and the queen of controversy top and tail a list of the 100 most powerful people in the countryside.
Following in the style of Forbes magazine's 100 Richest People and Time magazine's 100 Most Influential People, Country Life has identified royalty, wildlife enthusiasts, supermarket bosses, explorers, celebrity chefs and landowners as the most influential people in rural life.

Country Life survey | 100 most powerful people | Western Morning News
Old 09-05-2009, 02:20 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

The Queen, Prince Charles, and Princess Anne at today's Braemar Gathering:

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/...Bx3Ep/610x.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/...drbLi/610x.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/...WZ4RQ/610x.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/...hma5i/610x.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/...9S5ZH/610x.jpg

Love those kicky boots on Princess Anne!

HM The Queen
Old 09-05-2009, 03:06 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I agree, the fur hat and the sunglasses look wonderful of Princess Anne.
I do love the traditional Braemer Gathering.
Old 09-05-2009, 04:52 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Thanks for the pictures, Ella Kay

I love Anne, I like her fur hat, her boots, the whole outfit but I ALWAYS dislike her sunglasses. Sorry, I can't help myself. I find this citron-yellow on HM very stylish.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:05 PM
Majesty

I find the yellow and the moss-green/taupe tweed a strange combination. I like Princess Anne's boots, though. I want to get me a pair of those! I wonder where Camilla was?

The House of Windsor needs a new glamorous princess.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:00 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Indeed, with the moss-green/taupe tweed ITS a strange combination. But this yellow, I like it that HM still wears strong colours... However, I agree with you as well - there is a young stylish princess needed
Old 09-06-2009, 12:32 AM
Courtier

I love Princess Anne’s boots but her sunglasses spoil the overall look.
The Queen’s clothes were rather unusually coloured: it would have never entered my mind to mix those two colours.
As usual, loved Prince Charles’s kilt. And his watch chain.

I love this picture of the Queen and Prince Charles; truly, like mother, like son!

Many more pictures at Getty images.
Prince Philip and Timothy Laurence were there as well.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:58 AM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

I spy Prince Philip in one of those Getty pictures ... he was at the event, but not on the platform with his wife and children? Why not?

HM The Queen
Old 09-06-2009, 01:06 AM
Courtier

Prince Philip was in the Royal Box, along with the Queen, Prince Charles, Princess Anne and Timothy.
He was sitting right next to the Queen, as can be seen in this picture.

Tags
anne, british royal family, gold cup, queen, zara