Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon (1930-2002)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm so thrilled that you liked it Janet. Thankyou. Thankyou very sincerely.

Princess Margaret and Sexuality

I saw a picture of her in the frontispiece of a Brittanica yearbook circa 1960. That formed my ideal of feminine beauty and she still is. I did a drawing from that picture. She was undeniably lovely.

I recall she said she was constitutionally irrelevant (USA citizens need to understand the UK constitution is unwritten, but it exists), so that left her with no mission in life other than to be beautiful. I also recall reading she wanted to be a leader of fashion, but she was too short.

So we are left to wonder about her sexuality.

Its sad to think she had it all - looks, money, rank and she drew a blank in the love and romance department. She did have children so she could be thankful for that.

This is the picture, colorized:
< image posted in contravention of copyright law and the Forum picture posting rules and therefore removed >
The two pizza boxes below are failed links.

URL%5D

:flowers:
URL%5D

Last edited by a moderator:
Well hell! Too short for fashion. I thought her just right!

Well she mothered two children, fell in love with a man she couldn't have, married another who didn't feel obliged to toe her line and dated a nobody...who else knows...

Do I think Margaret's sexuality is something secretive? No. It's evidently clear she was an heterosexual woman, or a woman who preferred men. Could have she endeavoured a sexual curiosity? I'm assuming so but even if Margaret had been intimate with another woman, I hardly think that that then questions the legitimacy of her sexual orientation.

Though, in my mind, it's not always about the gender, but the person and how it is that person may make you feel, even if only for a few moments. A closeness which can be shared by man and woman, man and man or woman and woman is hardly something to be questioned or dissected for general curiosity. It is what it is and that's a beautiful thing.

I am not too sure if this question has been raised before, but i have always wondered that since Princess Margaret was alived, she was the Queen's sister and she was dedicated to the monarchy and was hard-working Royal in supporting her sister as well. But to the end of her life, she had never receiced the Order of the Garter or Thistle at all, anyone know why?

My those pictures of Margaret are lovely! Cecile Beaton does very good work! :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well what can I say except that was truly a wonderful article my friend. As usual you have a lovely way of expressing your thoughts. I so enjoy reading your posts and stories. Anyway, Princess Margaret was quite beautiful and very down to earth it seems. Its a pity she ended up in a wheelchair , she was so full of life. Wonder how she would have been now, still kicking up her heels maybe? Causing fainting spells possibly? You never know.:flowers:

An excellent article. Princess Margaret was a fascinating and complex Royal. I loved her and it was very sad to see her as a sad shadow of her former self towards the end of her life.

A great article! I remember Princess Margaret for three things. Firstly her romance with Peter Townsend, whom she was unable to marry (this was long before I was born). Second, for being the royal who openly smoked (I am a non-smoker, etc). Thirdly, and not least, she was the patron of my old school Mary Hare Grammar School for the Deaf. I remember her coming to Speech Day in 1973 (== prize giving day) as Guest of Honour. She made a glorious arrival in a helicopter which landed in the school's football pitch. The principal (== headmaster) was a nervous wreck trying to be correct in royal protocol, when he accompanied her. I did not see her smoking, and now wonder, looking back with hindsight, how she coped without a fag for two hours in the school hall during the prize-giving meeting!

Last edited:
Glad you liked it!

Sam is thinking of making this article the first in a series of articles about royal divas. I think Princess Margaret is quite a good candidate to lead off a series like that!

i enjoyed the article so much- thank you Sam:flowers:
i would love to read about royal divas and i'm looking forward to more pieces.

Princess Margaret was the perfect place to start. I'd enjoy one on Princess Victoria (vicky that married the kaiser) i've read some on her and she was facinating but sadly flawed lady, and of course Tsarina Alexandria with her mauve room and tragic end.
i don't think modern princessess today could get away with being a "diva" and i'm sorry because divas are much more interesting than saints jmho

Thankyou all for your kind comments on my article. It was great fun to write and quite an honour to be able to pay a little tribute to Margaret in that way.

Princess Margart epitomized that 1950's glamour and was a vital, exciting woman. I love seeing those portraits and photos of her in the full skirted ball gowns!

I find it amazing that so many young people do not even know who she was. Margaret was certainly exceptionally beautiful, but I thought that the Queen was even more so in her youth. They were both very different, the Princess being somewhat out on a limb I always thought. She never really had a "role." I am shocked to hear what Lord Snowdon plans to do, never thought that he would do something like this.

My favorite photo of Princess Margaret is one that Lord Snowdon took of her--her hair was pulled back, and it looked quite long, and she was wearing the Poltimore tiara (my fave tiara ever). IMO, Princess Margaret was the most beautiful royal bride ever. Timeless.

My favorite photo of the Snowdons, I believe was taken by Lord Litchfeld. It is in the Gardens of Kensington Palance. Princess Margaret and Lord Snowdon are sitting in the grass, not even looking at the camera. Princess Margaret is holding Lady Sarah and Viscount Linley is standing in between his parents with his arms around them.
Lovely photo.

I am actually quite surprised Lord Snowdon is writing okay'ing this biography now. I recall reading somewhere (can't remember, so I could be wrong) that he was completely put off my Diana and Fergie and their tell-alls, and media blitz surrounding them.
Lord Snowdon always struck me as such a gentlemen, and I really had the sense that he and Princess Margaret had gotten close again, as friends, as they got older? Not sure where I remember reading that, it may have been around the time of the princess's death. I believe their was even speculation at one point that Viscount Linley and Lady Sarah called their father and the 3 of them were with the Princess when she died. I think that was eventually refuted. I think Lord Snowdon is in relatively good standing with the RF now (he took the Diamond anniversary photos?). Anyway, just a little surprsed. Although it must have been really hard for him to hear his whole life, he was the Princess's rebound. I always thought they were probably more in love with each other than the public ever believed, but that's not a good story. Makes Princess Margaret a much more tragic creature if she was pining away for Group Captain Peter Townsend her whole life.
Oh well---sorry for the ramble. Princess Margaret is my favorite member of the RF. I always love chatting about her and was so sad when she passed.

Lord Snowdon is telling a biographer of his about his marriage to Margaret and what really happened. Sounds interesting. Never thought he would do it.
Lord Snowdon to tell all on Royal marriage - Telegraph

Well, I guess he is doing as he said, planning to write about his life, and of course his life includes many years with PM. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. I suppose it is common when a person reaches a certain point in life, they wish to write their memoirs and look back on their life, having a better understanding of what is important.

I agree with Rice about Lord Snowdon being a gentleman. I don't think he'll reveal anything which would upset or embarass the RF.

Yep. It's like the author (of the projected book) said in that article from the Telegraph. Overall he has had a good life and now in his ripe age he wants to put it down on paper. Better to do it himself, or more precisely, share it himself with the person who will be writing it, than to have other people botch up his reputation after he is dead. He loved PM, and she was mother of his children, and he loves The Queen and Prince Philip too, so he has nothing to gain from embarrassing them. Lord knows, he doesn't need money; I'm sure he's always making more of it from the rights to his photography.... ;)

As Princess Margaret being my favorite princess, I have to say she was the last real princess. If Zara were a princess she would be just like Margaret, she is in personality and everything else but not the title. There will never be another princess like Margaret or should I say ma'm darling!:lol:

I thought I read somewhere that Lord Snowdon used to call her "PM-darling"

I thought I read somewhere that Lord Snowdon used to call her "PM-darling"
He probably did. I don't think she let people just call her just Margaret it was either ma'm, Your Royal Highness, or for people she was close to it was ma'm darling.I read she would get mad at people that did not adress her properly.

Priceless, dear BeatrixFan, priceless. The tale of PM wearing the Poltimore tiara in her bath is just out of this world. Yes, I agree, tiara on=dignified. Tiara off=drunk. I just wish she had been much more moderate. I hate to preach but it is the deamons Ethyl and Nick that did the poor woman in. If only she had been able to cut out or never take up the weed and had been more moderate in her pursuit of the bubbly we would probably still have her with us today. She was a Royal who knew very well how to be Royal. And these boring republicans and drearh political correctness apparatachiks are going to be the death of us all. cheers.

We tried to get permission to reprint the Poltimore-in-the-bath photo in the article but unfortunately the copyright holder wasn't cooperative. I think we may have a link to it somewhere on the forum, though.

Priceless, dear BeatrixFan, priceless. The tale of PM wearing the Poltimore tiara in her bath is just out of this world. Yes, I agree, tiara on=dignified. Tiara off=drunk. I just wish she had been much more moderate. I hate to preach but it is the deamons Ethyl and Nick that did the poor woman in. If only she had been able to cut out or never take up the weed and had been more moderate in her pursuit of the bubbly we would probably still have her with us today. She was a Royal who knew very well how to be Royal. And these boring republicans and drearh political correctness apparatachiks are going to be the death of us all. cheers.

But then it's very much like the late Jennifer Paterson of "Two Fat Ladies" fame. Smoked like a chimney, drank like a trooper and made 71 - with the majority packed with doing what she damn well wanted. I think thats admirable and it must be something in these women that keeps them going against all odds.

But maybe it would be wiser not to do quite so much what she wanted??? I believe in lengthening the odds. Princess Margaret at 80 and still getting about and not in a wheelchair would be priceless, even if a little less of the poison and little or none of the weeds were involved. These goodies really mean nothing, add nothing and the real personality does not need them to gleam in the dark. Particularly the weed. I found it very interesting that the tobacco plant evolved nicotine as a protection against being eaten by bugs. In otherwords nicotine is a natural insecticide. Lovely. In any case here endeth the sermon for the day. Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom