A.W. TOZER
Old 12-22-2018, 01:01 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Picture:
Extremely rare PDA picture of the late King and Queen-
https://themerrycourtier.tumblr.com/image/181280763046
That's really sweet - taken just a few months before he died.

Old 12-22-2018, 01:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Queen Mary attended the premiere of The Lavender Hill Mob on June 28, 1951. She wore the Diamond Bandeau Tiara which Meghan wore on her wedding day in 2018.
http://www.gettyimages.com/license/962198400

That doesn't look like the same diadem Meghan wore at her wedding. It is noticeably bigger, but maybe the picture quality is not so good.
Old 12-22-2018, 01:35 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
That doesn't look like the same diadem Meghan wore at her wedding. It is noticeably bigger, but maybe the picture quality is not so good.
I think it's the same tiara but with some added diamonds on the top (or a different central brooch as it's detachable). Here are some more pics of QM wearing it:
The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday (on a Tuesday): Queen Mary’s Diamond Bandeau Tiara
Old 12-23-2018, 05:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Queen Mary saw herself on film.
Old 01-01-2019, 02:27 PM
Courtier

Peter Quennell's book on James Pope Hennessy

I am wanting to read the book "In Quest of Queen Mary" by Hugo Vickers, which I understand is an edited version of James Pope Hennessy's notes he took when writing his book on Queen Mary. Someone mentioned in one of the Amazon reviews that a book by Peter Quennell in 1980 on James Pope Hennessy was really good. The statement from the review is "The best of JP-H's stuff was published by Peter Quennell in 1980." Does anyone know which book this is? The only book I have come up with is "Lonely Business: A Self-Portrait of James Pope Hennessy" , but it is from 1981 and not 1980. Also it is about JPH and not about his "stuff" which I would assume to be his work or notes.
Old 01-01-2019, 02:43 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post
I am wanting to read the book "In Quest of Queen Mary" by Hugo Vickers, which I understand is an edited version of James Pope Hennessy's notes he took when writing his book on Queen Mary. Someone mentioned in one of the Amazon reviews that a book by Peter Quennell in 1980 on James Pope Hennessy was really good. The statement from the review is "The best of JP-H's stuff was published by Peter Quennell in 1980." Does anyone know which book this is? The only book I have come up with is "Lonely Business: A Self-Portrait of James Pope Hennessy" , but it is from 1981 and not 1980. Also it is about JPH and not about his "stuff" which I would assume to be his work or notes.

I’m about halfway through “Quest” and so far I’ve really enjoyed it. You get a sense for the writer and the “off duty”side of many of the royals. It’s very good!
Old 01-01-2019, 08:46 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrothead View Post
I’m about halfway through “Quest” and so far I’ve really enjoyed it. You get a sense for the writer and the “off duty”side of many of the royals. It’s very good!
Thanks. I look forward to reading it.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:58 AM
Courtier

James Pope-Hennessy interviewed the Duke of Windsor in France for his official biography of Queen Mary and his visit is chronicled in the new book The Quest for Queen Mary.

Some interesting comments about Queen Mary from this article (link):

Quote:
‘My mother (Queen Mary) loathed the country,’ he said. ‘She used to say to me: “I was born in Kensington and I am a Londoner.” She hated Sandringham; Balmoral was a bit better; but we were always there too long. Sandringham was dreadful.’
Quote:
He added: ‘Off the record, my father (George V) had a most horrible temper. He was foully rude to my mother.

‘Why, I’ve often seen her leave the table because he was so rude to her, and we children would all follow her out; not when the staff were present, of course, but when we were alone.’
Quote:
I remarked that I was puzzled by the shutting down of his mother’s high spirits after marriage.

‘Well, you’re right there, I think. My father was a very repressive influence. I well remember when he used to go banging away for a week or two at some shoot in the Midlands; we used to have the most lovely time with her alone — always laughing and joking.

‘She was a different human being away from him.’
Quote:
He seized one of the two 1936 files and showed me various letters — until we reached one from Queen Mary, begging him not to broadcast (his abdication speech).

‘Surely you might spare yourself this strain and emotion,’ he read out. A look of real disgust crossed over his face.

‘She even tried that! Well, I ask you...if I hadn’t done that...’
Quote:
I said: ‘I think one of Queen Mary’s chief difficulties in understanding your dilemma was the fact that she had never been in love herself.’

‘No, I don’t think she had,’ he said. ‘You’re right. My mother was a cold woman, a cold woman...'
Old 01-06-2019, 10:47 AM
Heir Apparent

What a charmer the DOW was...
Old 01-15-2019, 06:37 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
What a charmer the DOW was...
You have to remember that the DOW seems to have had a very difficult relationship with his parents, especially so with his father. So yeah, I can really understand that he would put it like that. But he did at least give Queen Mary the credit, that she would be more pleasant when King George was away.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

Queen Mary died on this day in 1953. Some of her portraits and a very beautiful!!! portrait of her that i never seen before!!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D2bP47NXcAAMv4U.jpg

https://twitter.com/MmeGuillotine/st...02985914286080

Tags
biography, british history, george v, pictures, princess may of teck, queen consort, queen mary, windsor