The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-27-2017, 06:45 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Keep looking at pictures of them at various ages.

LaRae
I always thought Andrew took after the Bowes Lyon branch of the family. Eugenie resembles Andrew and she looks very much like the Queen Mother as a young woman.

I see a lot of Queen Mary (when she was younger) in Anne and Zara, and when she was older, the Queen resembles her grandmother.

Old 10-27-2017, 07:20 PM
Majesty

I very much agree that Eugenie looks much like the Queen Mother. Middle age Andrew strongly resembles Queen Mary (Teck). The pics are pretty interesting.

I've always thought Anne resembled her mother and aunt...who take after the Windsor side I'd guess you'd say..I see more of the Windsor in the Queen than her mother.

LaRae

Old 10-27-2017, 07:30 PM
Courtier

I’m with you Pranter. I also see a strong resemblance between Princess Anne and Countess of Harewood. I even think Prince William has her eyes
Old 10-28-2017, 06:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I Some people assumed that the Queen had an affair with him that resulted in Andrew's birth. There really is no substance to that rumor. They remained close friends until his death in 2001. The Queen attended his funeral. Something she rarely does.
Yes I thought that, but the stable man, makes it sound like he was a groom. And I think it is rather disrespectful.
Anyway this is all going OT...
Old 12-08-2017, 01:39 AM
Aristocracy

I wonder how Queen Mary would have approached Meghan, her great-great-granddaughter-in-law?
Old 12-08-2017, 02:06 AM
Majesty

Likely not well. Mary grew up and lived in a very different time. Her disapproval of Wallis was well-known. She was opposed to divorce. She would have also had the traditional views of actresses back then.

Back in her days, a prince could keep a 'actress' as a mistress, but she wasn't wife material. Her own husband didn't, but her father in law was well known for his affairs with women like Alice Keppel (Camilla's great-grandmother) and actress Lillie Langtry.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:08 AM
Heir Apparent

If Queen Mary was living in the 21st century she would have adapted, and greeted and welcomed Meghan as Charles and Camilla have done. Wallis Simpson, that other American divorcee, was unsuitable for all sorts of reasons. And she would have lived through the divorces of Margaret, Charles, Andrew and Anne.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:17 AM
Majesty

We don't know what Mary would have been like had she been born a few decades later, to be alive in the 21st century. Because who she was and her opinions were shaped by the time she was born in.

You cant say for sure she would have approved of Meghan. Or that she would have approved of any divorce among her great-grandchildren. She may have lived through their divorces, but that wouldn't mean she would approve at all. Or accept them into her life. She loved Edward dearly, but she never accepted Wallis. I am not sure she would have accepted Camilla, no matter how much she may love Charles.

For Mary it wasn't about all the other reasons she was unsuitable. Mary was religious, and divorce was wrong for her. She grew up in a time when a husband had affairs, and women looked the other way, and you stayed together. She would likely have expected Charles and Diana to remain married, and chastised Diana for not turning a blind eye.

Charles and Camilla grew up in a different time then Mary. They would also have been total hypocrites not to accept Meghan, considering their own divorce status. I don't get bringing them into a comparison.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:24 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quite agree COuntess, If Q Mary had been born later, and lived to today's world, she would possibly have had very differnet upbringing and her opinions might have been different. Or she might have been very strict minded still, disapproved of divorce etc. She might have tolerated say her grandchildren divorcing... but not liked it. I cant imagine her in today's world and I think she would have been very dubious about an actress marrying intot he RF.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:57 PM
Aristocracy

Her last return from Sandringham to Marlborough House.

Old 12-21-2017, 04:36 PM
Heir Apparent

The Silver Wedding procession of Queen Mary and King George V in 1918
Old 12-29-2017, 01:20 PM
Aristocracy

Old 01-09-2018, 02:49 PM
Aristocracy

Old 02-06-2018, 05:16 PM
Aristocracy

66 years ago today, Queen Mary woke up in the reign of the 6th British monarch of her lifetime.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:05 PM
Heir Apparent

On the same day that the new Queen Elizabeth II had returned from Kenya, Queen Mary made the trip from Marlborough House to Clarence House. Mary curtseyed to her granddaughter. It is said that Elizabeth felt she should be curtseying to her grandmother.

Tags
biography, british history, george v, pictures, princess may of teck, queen consort, queen mary, windsor