The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > British Royal History

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-28-2008, 11:10 AM
Aristocracy

Vicky c1861
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A rare Vicky !.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	262629  

Old 05-15-2008, 09:33 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle View Post
I know I saw a blurry photo from her wedding, I think it was in Victoria Longford's biography of Queen Victoria.
It's also in Hannah Pakula's biography of Vicky.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:09 AM

Hannah Pakula's book on her is very interesting. In the 80s I stayed a few times at the Schlosshotel Kronstein, which was her residence after Frederick died. It then belonged to her grandson, who operated it as a hotel, but left so many family possessions sitting about that it felt almost as if one were visiting her. Photos on tables, books, small items on tables, etc. Also Monets, Degas, etc. paintings on the walls, NOT reproductions. The place is beautiful, grounds designed in the English style (much of the property is now a golf course but remains as it was right around the house). The schloss was built for her, is somewhat castle-like but small & intimate, a family home. I loved standing where I had seen photos taken of the family, some when Edward VII, Victoria's brother, visited. Her children called him "Uncle Tum-Tum." Fitting!

I felt very sorry for her. After her husband's death she was pretty much marginalized & it was very difficult for her. As Wilhelm grew up he treated her even more poorly. Her own death was horrifying. She was in excruciating pain & German doctors refused to give her painkillers. Servants said they could hear her screams all the way out in the stables.

I read a bit ago, can't unfortunately remember where, that her jewelry was found fairly recently during some repairs, stashed under the basement floor, where it had been hidden during WWI and forgotten. No info as to what was there or what became of it after that.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:51 AM
Nobility

Why would her jewelry been hidden in the basement during WWI? She had been dead several years at the time. I loved the way Vicky managed to get her personal papers and correspondence out of the house prior to her death, just as sh and Frederick had the foresight to spirit the same away from Prussia prior to Frederick's death. These two were true visionaries and had no illusions when it came to their eldest son.

Cat
Old 05-26-2008, 10:39 PM
Heir Apparent

I often wonder how different our world would be now if Frederick had lived to a ripe old age. If there was no World War I, Iraq wouldn't even exist.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle View Post
I know I saw a blurry photo from her wedding, I think it was in Victoria Longford's biography of Queen Victoria.
The pic quality is better in Hannah Pakula's book and here's a scan.

Vicky's Wedding, January 25 1858
"Queen Victoria was so nervous that she moved..."
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Vicky Wedding 1858.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	262892  
Old 05-28-2008, 12:40 AM
Aristocracy

Image of Vicky in Her Wedding Dress

Here's another pic of Vicky's wedding:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Vicky Wedding 1858a.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	262912  
Old 05-28-2008, 02:02 PM
Royal Highness

Beautiful...her wedding picture.

I think it is so sad..the relationship she had with Willy, Charlotte, and Henry. At least her three youngest daughters gave her unconditional love and support.

Her last days echo those of Queen Marie and her son Carol, when he refused treatment for his mother, and then made her take a train trip back to her home knowing full well that it did her more damage to her health and probably hastened her death.

How could two sons do this to their mothers?
Old 05-28-2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCat View Post
Why would her jewelry been hidden in the basement during WWI? She had been dead several years at the time.
Cat
Cat, the jewels were still in the family & her house, Friedrikshof (now Schlosshotel Kronberg), was still used by them. I guess they hid them to keep them safe in case of invasion -- succeeded too well. How can you possibly FORGET you hid a cache like that? Wouldn't happen in my basement (for more reasons than one)!

Emerald
Old 05-29-2008, 07:22 AM
Gentry

If one studies the life and character of the Empress Frederik it becomes apparent that she was not always the most benevolent of mothers and unfortunately this resulted in several of her children rejecting her and the ideals of herself and her husband.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:28 PM
Royal Highness

I agree.. Her relationship with her three eldest has always fascinated me. I think some of that comes from the fact, that she was, shall we say, a bit over-confident in herself and a perfectionist. Her father and mother treated her like the princess she was and lavished their love on her. Albert's tutelage of her made her incredibly brilliant, that with her self-confidence, made her a very independent thinking princess at the time.

When she had Willy, and he was injured during birth physically with his arm, I don't think she could ever really accept a child who had somewhat of a physical handicap.

That coupled with his paternal grandparents' impressions on him, left him somewhat at a difficult crossroads with his mother.

Many of these women in this family seem to have such difficult and sad relationships with their oldest son...you see somewhat of a pattern.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:16 PM
Aristocracy

I read that Vicky had a lot problemas with her son William.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:46 PM
Nobility

Vicky was the little perfectionist, but only because Queen Victoria was so quick to point out all her faults shortly after complimenting her daughter---she was that way with all of her children, and as a result, Vicky was that way, especially with her eldest three. Prince Albert was too confidant that his daughter was going to change the Prussian royal family in a good way, and he and his wife both refused to let Vicky forget the fact that she was born an English princess and should remain as such, therefore she was never able to fully become a Prussian---which is what would have saved her alot of scrutiny from her in-laws and her subjects. Vicky may very well have been in love with Fritz, but she was in a bad situation---her mother married her off way too young, and only did she realize this after Vicky had given birth to Charlotte in 1860. QV expected Vicky to write her all the time and any minute error that was made, she harped on her daughter for it. So being overly critical of her children (and herself) was not entirely Vicky's fault.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:25 AM
Gentry

The picture identified as Vicky's Wedding is actually Edward and Alexandra's Wedding.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick View Post
If one studies the life and character of the Empress Frederik it becomes apparent that she was not always the most benevolent of mothers and unfortunately this resulted in several of her children rejecting her and the ideals of herself and her husband.
That still doesn´t explain how a son could let his mother die in the most excruciating pain.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:39 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbrides1 View Post
The picture identified as Vicky's Wedding is actually Edward and Alexandra's Wedding.
Possibly, but both Elizabeth Longford in Victoria RI and Hannah Pakula in An Uncommon Woman caption the same photograph as Vicky at her own wedding in 1858.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:18 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I often wonder how different our world would be now if Frederick had lived to a ripe old age. If there was no World War I, Iraq wouldn't even exist.
It would have been worse.

Actually Friedrich had the possiblity to take over the throne in 1862 when his father was willing to abdicate in his favour. Fortunatly for Prussia he hesitated and refused. The man was a big hesitator, no or poor will-power. Whereas his wife was willing to change the monarchy according to the English system, but refused all kind of social reforms. Remember, end of the 1860 ies Bismarck introduced a whole series of social reforms. All refused by the Crown Prince Couple and most of all the Crown Princess. She was so terribly focused on the English way of life that she forgot reality. Pathetic indeed.

WW1 would have come anyway. At this time there was a mood for war throughout Europe. Barbara Tuchman (Ambassador Morgenthau's grandchild) has described it clearly in her book "The guns of August".
Old 08-02-2008, 02:52 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick View Post
Right. Similar to how Vicky's mother treated Bertie (Edward VII). Thus, they did not get along well either.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:28 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie2006 View Post
Right. Similar to how Vicky's mother treated Bertie (Edward VII). Thus, they did not get along well either.
However, Queen Victoria would only stiffen towards Bertie after her husband's death. Surely Bertie created sufficient anxiety before and both parents had little confidence - documented in a letter of the Queen to her eldest daughter in April 1859, but at least he "showed quite a turn for social functions" (Hibbert in his biography on Edward VII) and e.g. Disraeli found him "intelligent, informed and with a singularly sweet manner". His weakness was his laziness. But when the Prince Consort had to sort out the Prince's liaison with a certain Nellie while being already ill, it was too much. The subsequent death was blamed by the Queen to Bertie ... at least according to Hibbert and I have no reason to doubt him. His argumentation appears conclusive to me.

Thus Wilhelms situation cannot be compared to the QV-Bertie relationship. It would be more appropriate to look into his fathers (Friedrich III) relationship with his respective father Wilhelm (the grandfather).
Old 10-23-2009, 09:26 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
That still doesn´t explain how a son could let his mother die in the most excruciating pain.
I am not sure that Wilhelm allowed his mother to suffer from the cancer; I had always assumed that there was little the doctors could do to allay the pain short of overdosing her with morphine until she died. However, Wilhelm was a cruel and petty man and he certainly did not get along with his mother and she did not like him as well.

Tags
biography, british history, empress frederick, frederick iii, kaiser, pictures, prince albert, princess royal, princess victoria, prussia, queen victoria, queen victoria's children, wilhelm ii