Edward VI (1537-1553)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Earlier someone said that Edwards uncles definitely committed treason, I know Thomas did but I always thought Edward was more railroaded.

In 1551 Sir John Perot was one of the party led by the Marquis of Northampton that went to France to start the negotiations for the marriage of King Edward VI with Elizabeth, the daughter of King Henry II of France.

In 1551 Sir John Perot was one of the party led by the Marquis of Northampton that went to France to start the negotiations for the marriage of King Edward VI with Elizabeth, the daughter of King Henry II of France.

The negotiations almost ended after Pope Julius III threatened to excommunicate Henri II and his daughter Élisabeth and were cut short by the death of Edward in 1553.

It’s funny, but in watching Smithsonian Channel’s new Inside the Tower of London series, I just learned more about Lady Jane Grey (truly tragic) and Edward VI (certainly tragic). I’m unable to read this article, but I read a very similar one last night - and I’m bothered by the conclusion that because the boy king was self-possessed and strong willed, that he was likely to become the tyrant his father had been (and Henry VIII’s story is far more complicated than that he was a tyrant king )

It’s funny, but in watching Smithsonian Channel’s new Inside the Tower of London series, I just learned more about Lady Jane Grey (truly tragic) and Edward VI (certainly tragic). I’m unable to read this article, but I read a very similar one last night - and I’m bothered by the conclusion that because the boy king was self-possessed and strong willed, that he was likely to become the tyrant his father had been (and Henry VIII’s story is far more complicated than that he was a tyrant king )

He had all the makings of a tyrant and was far from sickly Edward portrayed in movies and tv series on the Tudors and especially where the Reformation was concerned.

It was during his reign that the more drastic and unpopular religious changes were made wave of iconoclasm ,the banning of pilgrimages ,saying of the rosary, prayers for the dead, use of holy water,lighting candles amd imprisonment of the traditionalist Catholic bishops.

He had all the makings of a tyrant and was far from sickly Edward portrayed in movies and tv series on the Tudors and especially where the Reformation was concerned.

It was during his reign that the more drastic and unpopular religious changes were made wave of iconoclasm ,the banning of pilgrimages ,saying of the rosary, prayers for the dead, use of holy water,lighting candles amd imprisonment of the traditionalist Catholic bishops.

Did I say he was sickly and weak ? I just haven’t seen any proof that he had the makings of a tyrant, though I suppose if you were a Catholic at the time you might have thought so. Elizabeth imprisoned and executed Catholics during her very long reign, but no one seems to mind; she’s looked at in awe, and her bloody dealings are ignored.

Did I say he was sickly and weak ? I just haven’t seen any proof that he had the makings of a tyrant, though I suppose if you were a Catholic at the time you might have thought so. Elizabeth imprisoned and executed Catholics during her very long reign, but no one seems to mind; she’s looked at in awe, and her bloody dealings are ignored.

Elizabeth is a Paradox revered by Protestants and despised by Catholics especially the Irish.

Elizabeth is a Paradox revered by Protestants and despised by Catholics especially the Irish.

Is she ? I just know that all historians seem to love her and think the sun rises and sets on her. I’m not trying to knock her from her perch, but she was no saint ...while her sister gets called “Bloody Mary”.

I would have liked to have seen what Edward VI could have been as he was apparently quite intelligent and cultured; we just don’t know, and he was gravely ill for the last part of his reign.

Edward VI 's reign to came at a time of major economic and social unrest issues in England,there were armed uprisings in 1548 and 1549 of which the most famous was the Catholics in Devon and Cornwall's Prayer Book Rebellion of 1549.There was also growing Religious unrest and discontent with new policies on worship.

Prayer Book Rebellion of 1549
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prayer_Book_Rebellion

Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire rising of 1549
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckinghamshire_and_Oxfordshire_rising_of_1549

Last edited:
Edward VI 's reign to came at a time of major economic and social unrest issues in England,there were armed uprisings in 1548 and 1549 of which the most famous was the Catholics in Devon and Cornwall's Prayer Book Rebellion of 1549.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prayer_Book_Rebellion

If I ever get the time, I’d like to read more on this time...are there any books you can recommend ?

The negotiations almost ended after Pope Julius III threatened to excommunicate Henri II and his daughter Élisabeth and were cut short by the death of Edward in 1553.

In the Catholic countries, Edward VI is mostly remembered as a radical Protestant (unlike his more moderate half-sister Elizabeth), although that is probably unfair on him as he was just a boy.

They were pushed into marriage when it became obvious that Edward was dying, so that Northumberland could try to make his son king.

They were pushed into marriage when it became obvious that Edward was dying, so that Northumberland could try to make his son king.

His short reign was dominated by costly wars with Scotland and the unpopular religious policies and doctines.
Many Catholic rituals had survived until late summer 1547 when a wave of enforced image breaking (iconoclasm ) swept the land.

An Imperial ambassador sent a report to Queen Mary of Hungary,Regent of the Low Countries on the 2 days of wanton iconoclasm he had witnessed at Westminster Abbey in 1547.

“For the last two days, these images have begun to be taken down and cast away at Westminster, and they will not even leave room for them in the glass.”

Was the young Edward VI a tyrant in the making?

Back
Top Bottom