Bowing and Curtseying

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lord Sosnowitz

Aristocracy
City
Budapest
Country
Hungary
This site is fantastic!!!!! ;) :p

Attachments

• bowing.jpg
    bowing.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 16,937
John-John bows to QEII

I thought this was a really cute older picture of JFK Jr. bowing to Queen Elizabeth in 1965

Attachments

• IH134124.jpg
    IH134124.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 2,111
Nikolaos greeting Sofia. I think the photo is from 2002.

Attachments

• grecia2b.jpg
    grecia2b.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 16,526
1. Queen Elizabeth II meeting the Pope on 17 October 2000

2. The Queen shaking hands with Italian President's wife. She didn't courtsy at all!!!

Attachments

• Il Papa accoglie La Regina sulla porta del suo studio.jpg
    Il Papa accoglie La Regina sulla porta del suo studio.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 2,959
  • Strette di mano - [03].jpg
    Strette di mano - [03].jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 1,589
The frist bow for Mary...................

Attachments

• A.JPG
    A.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 1,936
Julio Iglesias curtsying to Letizia - Sept. 22nd, 2004

Attachments

• julio.jpg
    julio.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 4,465
was Ernst frowned upon when he kissed the Queen's cheek?? I don't remember hearing anything about it...

Attachments

• carodukeberlinnov04.jpg
    carodukeberlinnov04.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 16,480
kittencrews said:
was Ernst frowned upon when he kissed the Queen's cheek?? I don't remember hearing anything about it...
I wouldn't think so, as Ernst-August and the Queen are cousins. An interesting fact is that E-A would be King of England if females were not allowed to inherit the throne and they were allowed to marry Catholics. By the way, E-A asked the Queen's permission to marry Caroline because of his great respect for the Queen.

To Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II:

Attachments

• curtsey.jpg
    curtsey.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 1,568
I don't know if I've ever seen an American President bow to a monarch... if they do, does anyone have any pictures of this? :)

KatieLouise said:
I don't know if I've ever seen an American President bow to a monarch... if they do, does anyone have any pictures of this? :)
From my understanding- The President does not bow to any royals. But in that picture, he wasnt a president, he was a little boy so he was required to bow.

Australian said:
From my understanding- The President does not bow to any royals. But in that picture, he wasnt a president, he was a little boy so he was required to bow.
Heads of state don't bow to anyone....i.e., presidents don't bow to kings, and queens don't curtsy to first ladies, etc. :)
Lollies!
-Kara-

Australian said:
Americans are definitely not required to bow to anyone, even the Queen of England, but it is a nice gesture and I think that JFK, Jr. was probably told to do it by his mother as a sign of respect and to be polite.

That's quite interesting - so it seems a President is the Sovereign in his own state.

The male solution to curtsying. Singer Julio Iglesias bows as he greets Queen Sofia.

Attachments

• 0000367064-004.jpg
    0000367064-004.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 1,348
I saw a pic with Crown Princess Mette-Marit bowing to Crown Princess Victoria, I was a bit surprised as I thought that they would be at the same rank : one being the spouse of a crown prince and the other a crown princess on her own. Does anyone know something about it ?

Not only Americans, but also people from all other countries are not required to bow to anyone. There is no international law that punishes people who don't bow to royals.

An American may bow if he or she wants to, but this choice is available to all the people of the world.

Another picture of a man bowing to Queen Sofia.

Attachments

• reiso01g.jpg
    reiso01g.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 972
This is the way a man should greet a Queen.

Attachments

• conc03g.jpg
    conc03g.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 1,213
England

HRH The Prince of Wales bow to HM The Queen of Norway.

Attachments

• 0000297834-014.jpg
    0000297834-014.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 1,731
assia said:
I saw a pic with Crown Princess Mette-Marit bowing to Crown Princess Victoria, I was a bit surprised as I thought that they would be at the same rank : one being the spouse of a crown prince and the other a crown princess on her own. Does anyone know something about it ?

I think CP Victoria is superior to CP MM, as she was bor Royal and will be Queen one day in her own right, rather than MM who will be Consort to the King of Norway.

This is a bow!

Courtesy GREMB

This pic shows how it is done properly...:)

Attachments

• Queen Mother Bow.jpg
    Queen Mother Bow.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 1,570
Last edited:
Warren said:
Courtesy GREMB
This pic shows how it is done properly...

Who is bowing to whom? Is the lady the Queens Mum?:cool:

bowing and curtseying are out of date and are of no relevance in todays modern world, I like how the Belgian and Dutch Royals don't expect people to bow or curtsey to them and I think all the other royals should follow their example. of course this is just my opinion

Bow to The Queen

auntie said:
Who is bowing to whom? Is the lady the Queens Mum?:cool:
The young boy is showing due deference to the then Queen Elizabeth, later The Queen Mother.

Voluntary compliance

Huddo said:
bowing and curtseying are out of date and are of no relevance in todays modern world.
Maybe so, but some people will still choose to show their respect with a bow or curtsey. Nothing is compulsory; some will do so, some not. Relevance is determined by the people involved.

Warren said:
Maybe so, but some people will still choose to show their respect with a bow or curtsey. Nothing is compulsory; some will do so, some not. Relevance is determined by the people involved.

Yes. I, for example, would like very much to curtsey to a Royal (especially QEII) because for me it's very important. Even though I know that I'll never meet her (and, in any case, I wouldn't never be introduced to her), sometimes I practice the curtsey in front of a mirror! One never knows... :rolleyes:

Just last night I made a "curtsey dream": I was in the countryside and I was sitting at a pic-nic table with my brother. Suddenly the Queen arrived (in her usual country outfit, with headscarf), my brother and I stand up. The Queen was nearer to my brother and she shook hands with him, then she turned to me and we shook hands (she told something which I can't remember) and I performed a very deep curtsey. I felt very proud, but also a little disappointed because it wasn't very good - I was almost falling! The Queen was a bit amused by that, so we started laughing and... the dream ended.

Last edited:
I guess that whether or not we bow/curtsy is pretty much how polite or well-mannered we are, no matter our origin.

Back
Top Bottom