Bowing and Curtseying

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous: Having been in the position of pulling off possibly the most inelegant of curtseys, I give them props for trying. Mine really was a close call (at least I thought so)! :eek:

It's like in Game of Thrones when Shae bows to Queen Cersei and Cersei says "That's the worst curtsy I've ever seen. It's not difficult, I mastered it when I was four. Straighten your back and bend." It really is not that difficult; I don't know if I was that young, maybe six or seven.

Sent from my iPod touch using The Royals Community

Sam Smith was on Jimmy Fallon and said nerves got the better of him when he met Prince William. He did a full on 'Downton Abbey' style bow rather than just from the shoulders.

Sam Smith can't believe he took instructions to bow for Britain's Prince William so literally when he met the royal.

Sam Smith is mortified that he went for a full-on "Downton Abbey" bow when he met Britain's Prince William.

The British singer is a huge fan of the historical drama series, which followed the story of an upper class family and their group of servants and recently showed its final season. Unfortunately, this proved a sticking point when he met the royal at the premiere of James Bond movie Spectre, which he supplied the theme tune for, in London in October (15).

"My issues is that I watch too much Downton Abbey," he laughed to US talk show host Jimmy Fallon. "You get instructions, right, they say you've got to bow, with one arm behind your back. If someone tells you to bow - I properly went for it. I bowed."
Read more: Sam Smith embarrassed by royal bow - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

Last edited:
:previous: Goodness, an old-fashioned, full court bow! Kudos for the effort.

The Danes curtsey so deep. It's very beautiful and elegant.

That photo had a very medieval feel about it if that makes sense. Very lovely.

Reminds me of some of Diana's curtsey's.

LaRae

At Ascot , the royal Ladies have to remain kneeling the time the Queen passes her way. Not easy for older Royals such as Princess Michael.

Yes Dman and such elegance ...for a tall woman she was very graceful.

LaRae

I'm going to wear my black high-heeled sandals to my year-end piano/recital in June; my teacher asked me if I was nervous and i told her "Yes, I've never curtsied in heels before" She told me there's nothing to it, just like a normal curtsy.

Last edited:
I was looking at pictures of the visit that HRH The Prince of Wales did in Serbia today, and saw this picture of what looks like a bow to the Crown Prince. Can anyone confirm as to wether or not this is customary? If this is the case, would it be the case as Crown Prince Alexander is the head (king de-jure) of the Serbian Royal Family, and Charles is still Prince of Wales and not head of the house of Windsor (king of England)?

Thanks! ImageUploadedByThe Royals Community1458263509.028878.jpg

:previous: The Crown Prince appears to be looking away from Prince Charles though, doesn't he? That's my impression, that the camera just caught a moment in time, perhaps as they were leaving a room.

Skippyboo a King of England reference ?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

[...} Can anyone confirm as to wether or not this is customary? [...] [/ATTACH]

A bow or a révérence is never customary and always optional. There are even royals who dislike all that bowing and sinking-down-the-knees and prefer a normal handshake.

I thought that was interesting...I know it's not required, don't see it done all the time either.

She's not an HRH either...not sure how protocol works. She gets the HRH when William becomes the PoW right?

LaRae

^^^She is HRH the Duchess of Cambridge. William's aunts are HRH The Princess Royal and HRH the Countess of Wessex. His royal female cousins are HRH Princess Beatrice of York and HRH Princess Eugenie of York.

If William and Edward had not received their current titles then their wives would be known as HRH the Princess William and HRH the Princess Edward.

I thought that was interesting...I know it's not required, don't see it done all the time either.

She's not an HRH either...not sure how protocol works. She gets the HRH when William becomes the PoW right?

LaRae

She is a HRH.

Her full title is Her Royal Highness Princess William Arthur Philip Louis, Duchess of Cambridge, Countess of Strathearn and Lady Carrickfergus.

One would assume that you meant compulsory and not customary. All bowing and curtseying is customary, as it is the custom.
Except that some of us live in countries where it is no longer custom. I was raised in a house where we bowed to show earned respect. You don't want to know what my Dad said about the custom. ;)

If William and Edward had not received their current titles then their wives would be known as HRH the Princess William and HRH the Princess Edward.

Wouldn't Catherine be Princess William while Sophie would be The Princess Edward? Only the children of a monarch have The before the title prince or princess.

William is Prince William. When his father becomes king he will automatically be referred to as The Prince William (although he will generally be known by his title(s).

Last edited:
Interestingly, In the roll of the peerage at the House of Lords, William is recorded as -

HRH the Prince William Arthur Philip Louis, Duke of Cambridge

Without his peerage William would still be HRH Prince William of Wales, Kate then HRH Princess William of Wales. With the peerage, the territorial designation is lost and a The is gained.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Back
Top Bottom