Bowing and Curtseying

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PROTOCOL CRISES WORSE THAN FIRST THOUGHT – RUMOURED LAUNCH OF SPANISH ARMADA

I was astonished to learn that this is not the first time the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have shown such an appalling lack of common courtesy. No, it is the SECOND time! It is true, this sort of thing has happened TWICE! Yes TWICE!

It is also said that they “often seem unprepared”, and that their shocking behaviour is discussed on royal message boards the world over. Forget Reuters, AP, UPI etc. etc., we are talking about ROYAL MESSAGE BOARDS! (Oh dear, please forgive me as I pause to control my emotions).

TIME FOR AN INTERVENTION

It is time for action. Obviously someone needs to stage an intervention with the Queen to open her eyes to the dangers of this situation continuing any longer. But before this can be attempted there must be evidence. I missed the London Olympics Incident of 2012, and during the couple’s visit to Australia I did not notice, I am ashamed to confess, any lapses in behaviour either. Obviously I do not pay enough attention, so I am not the person to identify a scandalous infringement of the accepted rules of polite behaviour.

But I do volunteer to compile the myriad examples that the eagle-eyed posters on this board have identified. So post each and every example you can think of, with reference to at least one verifiable, independent source for each appalling incident. I shall compile them into a report for use during the intervention. To start with, let’s aim for at least 20 examples. Yes, I know; you will say that is excessive. Normally I would agree. What rational person would not accept two examples as irrefutably proof of a pattern? But I think we have to assume that the Queen, poor love, must be deluded if she thinks this couple is capable of representing her. So, as she is not thinking rationally, the more evidence the better. But given the comments here, gathering 20 examples will be a doddle, won’t it? I will also do some research into Cult Deprogramming services. The Queen may be well and truly brainwashed, so, extreme as it may seem, we should be ready for a worst-case scenario.

PROTOCOL RESTORED

Once the Queen’s eyes are opened to the reality of the wickedness of these horrid deceivers, we can advise her on all protocol issues. I don’t want to sound pompous, but obviously we know best don’t we? Finally, can the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge ever be trusted to appear in public again? They will, of course, have to successfully complete a re-education program. Perhaps, if all goes well, they may eventually be allowed to undertake a couple of low-profile domestic engagements under careful supervision. Whatever the outcome, we are in for a long period of recovery.

What a deep curtseys! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
It is not exactly how it should be done: the shoes need to stay on the floor.

I found an adorable GIF of HM curtseying to her great-niece Margarita Armstrong-Jones at what looks like a dinner of some description, I don't know why HM curtsied to her, perhaps it was just for fun:

GIF

Both William & Catherine know who King Felipe is and showed him respect when they greeted him. It would be nice if they got to know their European counterparts more though. Instead of sending the Wessex's to every European royal event, William & Catherine should be sent to represent the family. It's a way for them to form a friendship.

When i watch the GIF I simply see the Queen looking at Margarita, there is no curtsey.

What protocol did they not observe? Please be specific. Felipe didn't offer his hand to W&K. President Hollande stood because Felipe offered him his hand. There was no reason for W&K to stand up as no one else did and Felipe turned away straight after that.

Also, Guillaume failed to bow from what I saw. He acknowledged Felipe, but he didn't bow. Where's the outrage about that? Nowhere. What a surprise.

I've just came onto this thread via the last page so I don't have a clue about what's been said previously. I only want to say that with regards to curtsying at least I thought Kate did a really bad job with Queen Mathilde. I watched it live on TV when she greeted her at the WWI commemoration and hated that clumsy looking curtsey she gave. It may just be a pet hate of mine but I hate when ladies curtsey with one leg at the front of the other. Every Royal lady I have seen give a curtsey to another Royal has done so with one leg bent at the back. Protocol wise I think this is regarded as the correct way of doing it and it certainly looks a lot better. I apologies if this has been mentioned already.

I think the Cambridge's did the right thing and greeted The King properly.

Time for a breather to allow those pulse rates to return to normal levels.

Over the top? Not by half! In the Bowing & Curtseying thread, of all places.

No-one here knows the full sequence of events or what took place behind the scenes before various royals took their seats.
Therefore posts purporting to know the minds of, or ascribing thoughts, attitudes and actions to the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and King Felipe and passing judgement based on those conjectures have been edited or removed. The same applies to second-guessing, irrelevant, over-emotional, repetitive, argumentative, goading and personally-directed posts, and the replies to them.

Royal history and royal commentary benefit from perspective and a sense of proportion; both were largely absent over (what were) the last six pages of this thread.

Warren
Admin & moderator

Normal transmission has been resumed. :)

Go to Google Images for 'curtsey to the Queen'...

...and you'll see a variety of curtsey styles. There is also a 3-frame picture of Autumn Phillips curtseying in a pair of white trousers, to which the Queen seems to make a 'grumpy cat' face. (I'm easily amused.)

Pin by tiarafan on Royals | Pinterest

which of the two is correct ?:bang: kate or sophie ?

Both the Countess of Wessex and the Duchess of Cambridge did it correctly: both feet flat on the ground. It is just "going to the knees" and not a genuflect, so it is well done. I would give a 9 out of 10.

When the face would go down a bit too, it was 10 out of 10. See an example, the lady greeting Princess Beatrix faces their eyes down too: http://resolver.kb.nl/resolve?urn=urn:gvn:KONB05:53A27-11-P018-3&size=large

:flowers:

Sophie executes a traditional curtsey, Kate is doing the lazy gal's curtsey. Also, the traditional style offers a better center of gravity and one is less likely to topple over.

Kate's left foot is not flat, she's on her toes.

Sophie executes a traditional curtsey, Kate is doing the lazy gal's curtsey. Also, the traditional style offers a better center of gravity and one is less likely to topple over.

Kate's left foot is not flat, she's on her toes.

One thing people will have to remember, the Queen don't care for very perfect curtsies. She always did bobs when she was a princess.

It's all about doing it the way you feel comfortable doing it. Not everyone will do it the same way.

And the most important thing: a curtsey is always optional, never obligatory. I expect that under King Charles he will request his family not to curtsey for him. It must feel awkward for him that his own boys then have to bow for him.

And the most important thing: a curtsey is always optional, never obligatory. I expect that under King Charles he will request his family not to curtsey for him. It must feel awkward for him that his own boys then have to bow for him.

What reason is there to expect this?

Well, the royal family will always curtsey and bow to the Monarch. William & Harry will always bow to their father when he's King. That's protocol and respect 101.

Back
Top Bottom