Bowing and Curtseying

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Picture:
Zara Tindall curtsying to Her Majesty at Royal Ascot 2014-
#teamgordons

Picture:
The Duke & Duchess of Cambridge and The Earl & Countess of Wessex giving a curtsey and bow to The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh's departing carriage at the Order of the Garter Service 2014:
http://worldofwindsor.tumblr.com/image/89001674820

Last edited:
Why isn't Andrew bowing? And where are Anne and Edward?

Last edited by a moderator:
Edward is right next to Sophie - you can see him bow his head too. No idea why Andrew isn't bowing. Perhaps he did it before/after the others.

Yeah, I think they did it at different times but they don't always curtsey and bow when Her Majesty's carriage leaves the Garter Service. It's great when they do it and it's captured in pictures.

It looks like he's removing his hat to kiss Anne like he did with Zara...there's a pic of him doing the same thing when he was leaning down to kiss her too.

LaRae

:previous: You can actually see another man tipping his hat to Beatrice behind him.

That maybe the Duke of Gloucester with Bea. The other guy behind Anne looks like Andrew.

Anne's face! She's thinking "This guy is such a twit sometimes,"

:lol:

Last edited:
Is it expected/required at this point to curtsey or bow to Kate? William is the heir of the heir...is it expected/required for it to be done to him as well?

LaRae

You do not have to bow or curtsey to anyone if you don't want too even if it is the Queen or Charles or Kate or Princess Alexandria. However, if you want to bow or curtsey then you can do it to anyone with a HRH in front of their name.

Well I know no one 'has to' ...but I wasn't sure what protocol required if one was actually wanting to curtsey/bow.

Thanks!

LaRae

I like the two photos of Spain's Prime Minister.
History in the making!!
Mariano Rajoy Brey bowing to Juan Carlos and bowing to Felipe VI.

Is it expected/required at this point to curtsey or bow to Kate? William is the heir of the heir...is it expected/required for it to be done to him as well?

LaRae

well true in theory in practice you see alot of people bow/curtsy to Kings and Queens (in Europe today) but less so to HRH's. For example in the UK most people still seem to bow or curtsy to HMQEII, a majority to Charles and less and less to other members of the family. I imagine the Dukes of Kent and Gloucester get less bows and curtsy then, for example, Charles does even though they all have HRH. (Not that any if this is important or that I'm suggesting people should starting a league table of bows received lol)

In Royal Romance, it was mentioned that after the wedding ceremony of Prince Edward of Kent and Katharine Worsley, Katharine curtsied to Queen Elizabeth II.

After the ceremony, the slow and elegant curtsey worked beautifully, and the Queen and Queen Mother, no doubt knowing the problems it had entailed, smiled their blessings warmly.

What happened was Katharine's train dragged on the carpet, so she had to "take a step back into the folds of her gown, thus releasing the tension on her train, and with her head slightly bowed, perform her act of homage."

I thought you took a step back and bowed your head when you curtsied anyway? I always did to my piano teacher during my lessons this year. One foot behind, knees bend, head bowed. That's how I do it.

Last edited:
You do not have to bow or curtsey to anyone if you don't want too even if it is the Queen or Charles or Kate or Princess Alexandria. However, if you want to bow or curtsey then you can do it to anyone with a HRH in front of their name.

You can curtsey or bow to anyone. With or without the predicate HRH... It is all optional and never an obligation. There are also royals who feel unpleasant or uncomfortable receiving a curtsey or a bow, then reacting like: no, no, you don't need to..., why are you going down for me...? I think most royals just prefer a normal handshake.

:flowers:

:previous:
Indeed. In fact, there is a gentleman who works in the catering area at my company who bows to me every time he sees me- and I curtsey in return.

It's an inside joke and a lot of fun.

Back
Top Bottom