Bowing and Curtseying

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Actually Mr. Sarkozy was kissing both ladies' hands and the photographer caught the moment when he was half-way in doing that.

From what I see here the Norwegian, Swedish and Danish public and royals are much more fickle about the whole curtseying and bowing down protocol.

Hello,
I have been searching for a video on how to curtsey with no luck and came upon this forum. It seems I have struck gold. If noone here can direct me, than there is no such video existing! I will soon be living in a country where women are expected to curtsey under various circumstances, and tho I already spent two months there last year and did curtsey ( I thought I was...), I really want to polish this. On arrival at the airport I will be meeting various people of rank and I will be very embarassed if i cannot show my respect of their social customs.
In lieu of a video, can someone explain step by step to me what a truly gracious and unpretentious curtsey should be? Thank you so much...

1. Maintain posture
2. Arms by one's side, unless lightly shaking hands
3. Left leg placed behind the right
4. Bend/bob at the knees (depending on the culture, it may be acceptable to make a deep curtsy, whilst in others a slight jig at the knees is all that's required).

:previous:
I love this, Mary looks so sweet. :flowers:

What a wonderful display of respect! CP Mary's posture is perfection IMO! I love the way QM and the other royal men are observing them!

It is great that Crown Princess Mary is keen on observing the protocol rules. This cursty is an obvious sign of respect for Queen of Spain.
FRONTLINE: black money: watch the full program | PBS

At 5.56 and 6.11 Lady Thatcher executes her curtseys to Saudi Royalty
Thanks for the video! Although I am amazed to see Lady Thatcher deeply curtsying to Saudi King, the protocol rules must be followed. The Iron Lady did follow the rules.

Perfectly done by Princess Mary - a wonderful show of respect. Not often seen enough today, so beautiful.

Mary is always perfection

On this photo it looks that Mary was like sprinter who try to run and Sofia just stop her.

I wonder even if a royal is not reigning anymore is it still inappropriate not to bow if your not titled?

Mary curtseying to Margrethe II is beautiful at the opening of parliement event- Mary is REALLY good at it, yes? IS there a photo of Marie doing the same, as she was footsteps away that anyone can post?

On the picture where Marie is curteying to Q M the Queen looks distracted with another person.
On the picture where Mary does the same she has the Queen's undivided attention and they both look like they have a good rapport.
I hope the difference does not reflect the Queen's feelings towards her daughters in law.

I know I've seen other pictures where Marie is curtseying and Margrethe isn't looking. I'm not sure if there are any like this with Mary? If not, maybe there is a pattern there, but on the other hand, the photo is taken in one quick second, so it's hard to establish anything.

Back
Top Bottom