The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #301  
Old 05-12-2007, 04:53 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by MargreteI
Well, I am 100% sure. They are descrendants of Georg I of Greece (Prince Vilhelm) who took over the less then stabile throne in Greece. Recognizing this King Christian IX (his father) made sure the title "Prince of Denmark" would follow his descrendants once Vilhelm took over the unstabile throne in Greece. Constantine is a descrendant of King Christian IX and therefore he is Prince of Denmark in his own right, though he does not have a claim to the throne.

They also carry danish diplomat passports without being danish citizens. That is unusual and requires some sort of rank.
Alas, you are 100% wrong. By the 1953 Act of Succession, Part II Section 9 of the Danish Constitution of 5 June 1953, the right of succession is limited to descendants of King Christian X and Queen Alexandrine. Also the Salic Law was eliminated allowing women to accede to the throne. All this was done because King Frederick IX had no male issue. The Danish Constitution also provides that members without rights to succession are NO MORE princes or princesses to (TIL) Denmark.
Thus, ALL Greek, Norwegian and British royalty lost their rights to the Danish throne. However, because they were left with the title, they are called out of courtesy alone, princes or princesses from/of AF Denmark.
So, former King Constantine of Greece for example retains the title of prince AF Denmark, while, say, Prince Joachim is prince TIL Denmark.
King Constantine's children's are neither TIL nor AF Denmark, they are NOTHING.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #302  
Old 05-12-2007, 05:07 PM
Lord Sosnowitz's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Budapest, Hungary
Posts: 223
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnik
When they're private why should they curtsey to each other?
What is it exactly?
__________________

__________________
Markgraf von Sosnowitz
Reply With Quote
  #303  
Old 05-12-2007, 05:10 PM
magnik's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Posts: 3,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Sosnowitz
What is it exactly?
That's my question to post #300.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #304  
Old 05-22-2007, 11:23 AM
kimebear's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Albany, United States
Posts: 1,382
Does anyone know if the status of Imperial Highness is recognized among the current royals as being superior to Royal Highness? Early in this thread there was a picture of (then) HIH Princess Nori of Japan curtseying to HRH the Prince Consort of Denmark, as would be natural for a consort, but what about "lesser" royals? Would HRH Prince Joachim of Denmark bow to HIH Prince Akishino of Japan?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #305  
Old 05-24-2007, 08:41 AM
banda_windsor's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
Posts: 122
I understand that every Queen Consort have the same rank, and they don't have to curtsey to each other, even to the monarch. But look at this pic,

Queen Nur Zahira of Malaysia and Queen Saleha of Brunei

The Queen of Malaysia was curtseying and kissing Queen of Brunei's hand. Is that appropriate?
__________________
"The Hardest Thing to Govern, is the Heart"
Reply With Quote
  #306  
Old 05-26-2007, 06:07 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe Egalite'
Alas, you are 100% wrong. By the 1953 Act of Succession, Part II Section 9 of the Danish Constitution of 5 June 1953, the right of succession is limited to descendants of King Christian X and Queen Alexandrine. Also the Salic Law was eliminated allowing women to accede to the throne. All this was done because King Frederick IX had no male issue. The Danish Constitution also provides that members without rights to succession are NO MORE princes or princesses to (TIL) Denmark.
Thus, ALL Greek, Norwegian and British royalty lost their rights to the Danish throne. However, because they were left with the title, they are called out of courtesy alone, princes or princesses from/of AF Denmark.
So, former King Constantine of Greece for example retains the title of prince AF Denmark, while, say, Prince Joachim is prince TIL Denmark.
King Constantine's children's are neither TIL nor AF Denmark, they are NOTHING.
Read the Danish Constitution and the Act of Succession because it is obvious you think something is in there, that really cant be found in eighter of them.

What you say is, that you know better then the Ministry of Justice, The Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the parliament and the Queen alltogether and somehow I just do not believe you do.

They are often titled Princes and Princessess of Greece and Denmark and I respect it when the Greeks or others dispute that they are Princes or Princesses of Greece which is a republic. However when you start to dispute whether or not they are Princes or Princesses of Denmark it is out of line. You can not change their status in Denmark based on your desire or opinion !


.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #307  
Old 05-26-2007, 06:55 AM
carlota's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: , United States
Posts: 5,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by banda_windsor
I understand that every Queen Consort have the same rank, and they don't have to curtsey to each other, even to the monarch. But look at this pic,

Queen Nur Zahira of Malaysia and Queen Saleha of Brunei

The Queen of Malaysia was curtseying and kissing Queen of Brunei's hand. Is that appropriate?
perhaps it has to do with the fact that queen saleha has been in the throne for way longer than queen nur? i'm not sure why she is curtseying otherwise.
__________________
Sign the United Nations Universal Declaration on Animal Welfare: http://www.animalsmatter.org
YOUR DAILY CLICK HELPS ANIMALS SURVIVE!
Feed an animal in need, click for free.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Reply With Quote
  #308  
Old 05-28-2007, 10:07 AM
banda_windsor's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota
perhaps it has to do with the fact that queen saleha has been in the throne for way longer than queen nur? i'm not sure why she is curtseying otherwise.
Probably. But it's just very unusual to see a queen curtseying to other queen.

Btw, i have a question. Does a Queen have to curtsey when she meet Dowager Queen or Queen Mother??
__________________
"The Hardest Thing to Govern, is the Heart"
Reply With Quote
  #309  
Old 05-31-2007, 12:52 PM
RoyalProtocol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Belfast, United Kingdom
Posts: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by banda_windsor
I understand that every Queen Consort have the same rank, and they don't have to curtsey to each other, even to the monarch. But look at this pic,

Queen Nur Zahira of Malaysia and Queen Saleha of Brunei

The Queen of Malaysia was curtseying and kissing Queen of Brunei's hand. Is that appropriate?
This is only a suggestion, perhaps it has something to do with the elected monarchy in Malasyia, therefore she is only Queen for a while?
__________________
Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
59 Years of Dedicated and Devoted Service

God Save The Queen!



Reply With Quote
  #310  
Old 05-31-2007, 03:28 PM
andrew's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Arad, Romania
Posts: 200
Sign of the cross

http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/7...denmarkvw7.jpg

I think QMII was making the sign of the cross in the orthodox style-given the fact that the late empress was orthodox. When orthodox make the sign of the cross they first touch the ground.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #311  
Old 06-03-2007, 12:05 PM
RoyalProtocol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Belfast, United Kingdom
Posts: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew
http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/7...denmarkvw7.jpg

I think QMII was making the sign of the cross in the orthodox style-given the fact that the late empress was orthodox. When orthodox make the sign of the cross they first touch the ground.
I believe that this is a very deep and reverential curtsey, not making the sign of the cross. Her Majesty made a very deep curtsey like this at the funeral of Her Late Majesty Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother. (This is very clearly seen on the BBC coverage of the Funeral in 2002)
__________________
Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
59 Years of Dedicated and Devoted Service

God Save The Queen!



Reply With Quote
  #312  
Old 06-03-2007, 12:27 PM
BeatrixFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,843
I think you're right RoyalProtocol. Queen Margrethe wouldn't make the sign of the cross unless she was Orthodox and if she was, she would have done it three times.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #313  
Old 06-05-2007, 01:03 AM
Josefine's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: , Sweden
Posts: 9,222
did Victoria Curtsey to the danish queen
Reply With Quote
  #314  
Old 06-05-2007, 04:36 AM
Cissan's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josefine
did Victoria Curtsey to the danish queen
Yes, you can see it on this film: Webb-tv - Svensk Damtidning
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #315  
Old 06-23-2007, 09:34 AM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 93
Do the children of royal families curtsey every time they see their mother and father????
I could not imagine Princess Anne every time she sees her mother she has to curtsey to her.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #316  
Old 06-23-2007, 10:53 AM
BeatrixFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,843
Indeed they do. Princess Anne, as with other female Royals, kisses the Queen on each cheek and then curtseys. She also refers to the Queen as "The Queen" and not as "Mummy" or "My Mother". It's protocol.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #317  
Old 06-23-2007, 11:50 AM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 93
I guess I was not clear enough; I meant in the privacy of their homes. I can see doing it at royal functions and in public gatherings as it would be protocol as you said
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #318  
Old 06-23-2007, 12:22 PM
BeatrixFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,843
Yup. They still do it in private. We saw it quite alot during "Elizabeth R", a series on the Royal Family from the 80s (?). There's footage around that shows a Royal birthday party, I think for the Queen Mother, and when people greet the Queen they kiss her on each cheek and then either bow or curtsey. It seems it's the same in private as in public.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #319  
Old 06-23-2007, 01:19 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 93
Very interseting... I learn a lot with this forum.....
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #320  
Old 06-24-2007, 09:01 AM
Josefine's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: , Sweden
Posts: 9,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cissan View Post
Yes, you can see it on this film: Webb-tv - Svensk Damtidning
Thank you

Is there different syles how to Curtsey in different courts?
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
abdication belgium birth brussels carl philip charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events fashion genealogy germany grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta leonor infanta sofia jordan king carl xvi gustav king constantine ii king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander letizia luxembourg nobility official visit olympic games ottoman pieter van vollenhoven poland pregnancy president hollande prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince floris prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess anita princess astrid princess beatrix princess charlene princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess mary queen anne-marie queen fabiola queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen silvia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague wedding william



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:43 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]