The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-12-2007, 04:53 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargreteI
Well, I am 100% sure. They are descrendants of Georg I of Greece (Prince Vilhelm) who took over the less then stabile throne in Greece. Recognizing this King Christian IX (his father) made sure the title "Prince of Denmark" would follow his descrendants once Vilhelm took over the unstabile throne in Greece. Constantine is a descrendant of King Christian IX and therefore he is Prince of Denmark in his own right, though he does not have a claim to the throne.

They also carry danish diplomat passports without being danish citizens. That is unusual and requires some sort of rank.
Alas, you are 100% wrong. By the 1953 Act of Succession, Part II Section 9 of the Danish Constitution of 5 June 1953, the right of succession is limited to descendants of King Christian X and Queen Alexandrine. Also the Salic Law was eliminated allowing women to accede to the throne. All this was done because King Frederick IX had no male issue. The Danish Constitution also provides that members without rights to succession are NO MORE princes or princesses to (TIL) Denmark.
Thus, ALL Greek, Norwegian and British royalty lost their rights to the Danish throne. However, because they were left with the title, they are called out of courtesy alone, princes or princesses from/of AF Denmark.
So, former King Constantine of Greece for example retains the title of prince AF Denmark, while, say, Prince Joachim is prince TIL Denmark.
King Constantine's children's are neither TIL nor AF Denmark, they are NOTHING.

Old 05-12-2007, 05:07 PM
Aristocracy

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnik
When they're private why should they curtsey to each other?
What is it exactly?

Old 05-12-2007, 05:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Sosnowitz
What is it exactly?
That's my question to post #300.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:23 AM
Serene Highness

Does anyone know if the status of Imperial Highness is recognized among the current royals as being superior to Royal Highness? Early in this thread there was a picture of (then) HIH Princess Nori of Japan curtseying to HRH the Prince Consort of Denmark, as would be natural for a consort, but what about "lesser" royals? Would HRH Prince Joachim of Denmark bow to HIH Prince Akishino of Japan?
Old 05-24-2007, 08:41 AM
Aristocracy

I understand that every Queen Consort have the same rank, and they don't have to curtsey to each other, even to the monarch. But look at this pic,

Queen Nur Zahira of Malaysia and Queen Saleha of Brunei

The Queen of Malaysia was curtseying and kissing Queen of Brunei's hand. Is that appropriate?
Old 05-26-2007, 06:07 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe Egalite'
Alas, you are 100% wrong. By the 1953 Act of Succession, Part II Section 9 of the Danish Constitution of 5 June 1953, the right of succession is limited to descendants of King Christian X and Queen Alexandrine. Also the Salic Law was eliminated allowing women to accede to the throne. All this was done because King Frederick IX had no male issue. The Danish Constitution also provides that members without rights to succession are NO MORE princes or princesses to (TIL) Denmark.
Thus, ALL Greek, Norwegian and British royalty lost their rights to the Danish throne. However, because they were left with the title, they are called out of courtesy alone, princes or princesses from/of AF Denmark.
So, former King Constantine of Greece for example retains the title of prince AF Denmark, while, say, Prince Joachim is prince TIL Denmark.
King Constantine's children's are neither TIL nor AF Denmark, they are NOTHING.
Read the Danish Constitution and the Act of Succession because it is obvious you think something is in there, that really cant be found in eighter of them.

What you say is, that you know better then the Ministry of Justice, The Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the parliament and the Queen alltogether and somehow I just do not believe you do.

They are often titled Princes and Princessess of Greece and Denmark and I respect it when the Greeks or others dispute that they are Princes or Princesses of Greece which is a republic. However when you start to dispute whether or not they are Princes or Princesses of Denmark it is out of line. You can not change their status in Denmark based on your desire or opinion !

Old 05-26-2007, 06:55 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by banda_windsor
I understand that every Queen Consort have the same rank, and they don't have to curtsey to each other, even to the monarch. But look at this pic,

The Queen of Malaysia was curtseying and kissing Queen of Brunei's hand. Is that appropriate?
perhaps it has to do with the fact that queen saleha has been in the throne for way longer than queen nur? i'm not sure why she is curtseying otherwise.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 05-28-2007, 10:07 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota
perhaps it has to do with the fact that queen saleha has been in the throne for way longer than queen nur? i'm not sure why she is curtseying otherwise.
Probably. But it's just very unusual to see a queen curtseying to other queen.

Btw, i have a question. Does a Queen have to curtsey when she meet Dowager Queen or Queen Mother??
Old 05-31-2007, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banda_windsor

This is only a suggestion, perhaps it has something to do with the elected monarchy in Malasyia, therefore she is only Queen for a while?

God Save The Queen!

Old 05-31-2007, 03:28 PM
Aristocracy

Sign of the cross

http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/7...denmarkvw7.jpg

I think QMII was making the sign of the cross in the orthodox style-given the fact that the late empress was orthodox. When orthodox make the sign of the cross they first touch the ground.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew
http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/7...denmarkvw7.jpg

I think QMII was making the sign of the cross in the orthodox style-given the fact that the late empress was orthodox. When orthodox make the sign of the cross they first touch the ground.
I believe that this is a very deep and reverential curtsey, not making the sign of the cross. Her Majesty made a very deep curtsey like this at the funeral of Her Late Majesty Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother. (This is very clearly seen on the BBC coverage of the Funeral in 2002)

God Save The Queen!

Old 06-03-2007, 12:27 PM

I think you're right RoyalProtocol. Queen Margrethe wouldn't make the sign of the cross unless she was Orthodox and if she was, she would have done it three times.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:03 AM
Majesty

did Victoria Curtsey to the danish queen
Old 06-05-2007, 04:36 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josefine
did Victoria Curtsey to the danish queen
Yes, you can see it on this film: Webb-tv - Svensk Damtidning
Old 06-23-2007, 09:34 AM
Gentry

Do the children of royal families curtsey every time they see their mother and father????
I could not imagine Princess Anne every time she sees her mother she has to curtsey to her.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:53 AM

Indeed they do. Princess Anne, as with other female Royals, kisses the Queen on each cheek and then curtseys. She also refers to the Queen as "The Queen" and not as "Mummy" or "My Mother". It's protocol.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:50 AM
Gentry

I guess I was not clear enough; I meant in the privacy of their homes. I can see doing it at royal functions and in public gatherings as it would be protocol as you said
Old 06-23-2007, 12:22 PM

Yup. They still do it in private. We saw it quite alot during "Elizabeth R", a series on the Royal Family from the 80s (?). There's footage around that shows a Royal birthday party, I think for the Queen Mother, and when people greet the Queen they kiss her on each cheek and then either bow or curtsey. It seems it's the same in private as in public.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:19 PM
Gentry

Very interseting... I learn a lot with this forum.....
Old 06-24-2007, 09:01 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cissan View Post
Yes, you can see it on this film: Webb-tv - Svensk Damtidning
Thank you

Is there different syles how to Curtsey in different courts?