The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 03:07 PM
Gentry

Like many things, a curtsy looks bad if it is done poorly.

The Prime Minister's curtsy is a bit awkward (her legs too far apart) and perhaps unneedingly low.

Here is a photo of The Duchess of Cambridge curtsying to The King of The Belgians.

Even in day attire it looks quick, slight and elegant. She is looking him right in the eye - Not subservient at all IMHO.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:10 PM
Courtier

I have seldom seen a women in a short dress pull off a curtsey. Denmark's Crown Princess Mary has done a couple of curtseys that did not look awkward and noodle-y but it was because she wore a flared skirt that was long enough to cover her knees and top part of her calves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
It needs to be changed: women need to be able to discharge their 'obligation' with a nod of the head, just like men. The curtsy is just too subservient imo. Just the way it looks: grown women, intelligent and educated, powerful in their own right, doing that pretzel......no. JMO. The men get away with hardly being noticed doing the nod of their head.
I don't think that the curtsey should be abolished per se, but I do think that it's a good idea it became just as customary for women to bow as it is to curtsey.

Old 08-09-2018, 09:11 PM
Courtier

Bowing and Curtseying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post
I have seldom seen a women in a short dress pull off a curtsey. Denmark's Crown Princess Mary has done a couple of curtseys that did not look awkward and noodlie-ybut it was because she wore a flared skirt that was long enough to cover her knees and top part of her calves.

I don't think that the curtsey should be abolished per se, but I do think that it's a good idea it became just as customary for women to bow as it is to curtsey.

I have a white A-line dress with a green, blue and purple floral pattern that goes to below my kneecaps and has a flared skirt; I’ve successfully curtsied in it.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Prince Philip bowed while shaking hands with King Felipe VI of Spain during the ceremonial welcome at Horse Guards Parade on July 12, 2017.
http://www.gettyimages.com/license/813332988
Old 08-10-2018, 10:03 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahedwards2 View Post
I have a white A-line dress with a green, blue and purple floral pattern that goes to below my kneecaps and has a flared skirt; I’ve successfully curtsied in it.
To clarify, I do not mean the physical act of the curtsey, I am referring to the aesthetics. I doubt if the same woman curtsies differently in a long dress versus a short dress but the long dress covers more so you don't see awkward / noodle-y leg positioning.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

I always thought that the curtsey was established by men in order to give themselves a good look down a neckline or under a skirt. Surely women are entitled to show their respect with a nod of the head.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-10-2018, 10:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
Like many things, a curtsy looks bad if it is done poorly.

The Prime Minister's curtsy is a bit awkward (her legs too far apart) and perhaps unneedingly low.

Here is a photo of The Duchess of Cambridge curtsying to The King of The Belgians.

Even in day attire it looks quick, slight and elegant. She is looking him right in the eye - Not subservient at all IMHO.
But it is 'subservient' by definition, however 'elegantly' executed. It's a couple of steps up from laying prostrate on the ground before the sovereign or conqueror, but the 'genuflection' or kneeling before another has very clear implications of who is superior/inferior. It's outmoded. As well as looking strange.

I say it's time to do away with it. We all seem to automatically nod our heads to each other upon greeting, when taking hands to shake hands. It seems to be a natural gesture of acknowledgement of the other across cultures, whereas prostration, kneeling, curtsey, has a very definite archaic significance best left imo.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:55 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
But it is 'subservient' by definition, however 'elegantly' executed. It's a couple of steps up from laying prostrate on the ground before the sovereign or conqueror, but the 'genuflection' or kneeling before another has very clear implications of who is superior/inferior. It's outmoded. As well as looking strange.

I say it's time to do away with it. We all seem to automatically nod our heads to each other upon greeting, when taking hands to shake hands. It seems to be a natural gesture of acknowledgement of the other across cultures, whereas prostration, kneeling, curtsey, has a very definite archaic significance best left imo.
I agree it is subservient and I don’t like the idea of the elected head of the government bowing or curtsying to anyone really but certainly not to the second in line to the throne. If the Prime Minister feels the urge to drop into a curtesy I wish she would restrict it to the Monarch.

I’d be happy for the nod of the head that you suggest provided the Royal did it back to the person they were meeting.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:29 AM
Commoner

A curtsy is in no way subservient by definition IMO. It is a gesture of respect. If people don't like it, simply don't do it! No member of the public is required to curtsy or bow to any royal.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaB View Post
I agree it is subservient and I don’t like the idea of the elected head of the government bowing or curtsying to anyone really but certainly not to the second in line to the throne. If the Prime Minister feels the urge to drop into a curtesy I wish she would restrict it to the Monarch.

I’d be happy for the nod of the head that you suggest provided the Royal did it back to the person they were meeting.
I believe that is what Prime Minister May was doing in France when she curtsied to William. William was there representing the Queen and was treated as such.

As has been said many times, no bow or curtsy is ever mandatory. People do what they're comfortable doing. All I know is that should I attempt any kind of a curtsy, I would end up kissing the floor right quick.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 08-11-2018, 12:59 AM
Imperial Majesty

I don’t understand why folks make such a big deal about PM May curtsying to senior members of the royal family. Every Prime Minister most likely have done this.

A.W. TOZER
Old 08-11-2018, 01:50 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I don’t understand why folks make such a big deal about PM May curtsying to senior members of the royal family. Every Prime Minister most likely have done this.
Maybe they have but times move on and what was appropriate in the days of Queen Victoria is not necessarily appropriate now. Personally I find it demeaning (obviously Mrs May does not) and I wish the elected representatives of the people would not do it or at least the elected head of the government. IMHO Members of the Royal family deserve no more and no less respect than anyone else.
Old 08-11-2018, 01:57 AM
Imperial Majesty

There is also a different perspective that we can put on it. In the US, its appropriate to remove one's hat, put one's hand over one's heart or salute when the flag is presented or the national anthem sung. (I used to think it was so cool that I wasn't like the masses and could use the Girl Scout hand signal over my heart. *No* one does a better flag ceremony than the Girl Scouts!)

I see it basically being the same with showing respect to the royal family with a bob or a curtsy. Its not the *people* so much that they're respecting but rather their Crown and their Monarchy which is the foundation of all things British.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

Old 08-11-2018, 03:14 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post
[....]

It already is for ages and ages. A révérence or a bow is always an option and never a requirement. And when a lady wants to bow, it is perfectly fine. It already happens that ladies make a nod with the head. It is all okay with the royals.
Old 08-11-2018, 03:22 AM
Aristocracy

“Theresa May’s curtsey? We don’t need this deference to royals..” this article has interesting spin that the deferential act is good to keep power hungry politicians in their place...
https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...share_btn_link
Old 08-11-2018, 03:46 AM
Imperial Majesty

Another thing to keep in mind and this pertains to Theresa May and all of the other politicians that govern the UK and the Commonwealth nations.

The governmental system of the UK and the Commonwealth nations are referred to as "Her Majesty's Government". Although the monarch plays no role in the parliamentary procedures and is apolitical, it is the monarch's role to ask the Prime Minister to form a government and to sign all legislature.

The monarch is the personification of the Crown. Its bigger than any one person or political party and represents the whole. That deserves to be respected in whichever way a person sees fit.

At least that's how I see it.

Old 08-11-2018, 06:11 AM
Nobility

Bow and curtsey isn't an obligation. You can do it to whoever you think they deserve and not do it to whoever you think they do not deserve, it's fine for the government to do so and it's also ok for them to not do so. (Let's say, IF one day UK has an anti monarchy PM *knocking on wood*, I don't expect he/she bows/curtsey to the monarch no matter in what ocassion) JMO

Also I don't think a curtsey or a curtsey with a nod is subservient and I just want to bring in the gif of Mette Marit's curtsey to QEII. Still the most elegant curtsey to me.

Being-a-royal: Photo

Also the curtsey from Lux Stephanie: https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/82753711878504463/

I think it's more “natural” to bow your head if you are doing a deep curtsey (like Mette Marit and Stephanie above). Sometimes I find it's quite odd if the ladies are looking at someone directly while doing a deep curtsey (e.g. the danish ladies, yet I do admire how deep their curtsies are).
Old 08-11-2018, 07:00 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Y.CII View Post
Bow and curtsey isn't an obligation. You can do it to whoever you think they deserve and not do it to whoever you think they do not deserve, it's fine for the government to do so and it's also ok for them to not do so. (Let's say, IF one day UK has an anti monarchy PM *knocking on wood*, I don't expect he/she bows/curtsey to the monarch no matter in what ocassion) JMO

Also I don't think a curtsey or a curtsey with a nod is subservient and I just want to bring in the gif of Mette Marit's curtsey to QEII. Still the most elegant curtsey to me.

Being-a-royal: Photo

Also the curtsey from Lux Stephanie: https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/82753711878504463/

I think it's more “natural” to bow your head if you are doing a deep curtsey (like Mette Marit and Stephanie above). Sometimes I find it's quite odd if the ladies are looking at someone directly while doing a deep curtsey (e.g. the danish ladies, yet I do admire how deep their curtsies are).

Mette-Marit wore a long gown. It is hard to make a poor curtsey wearing a floor length gown. It is hard to make a good curtsey wearing a skirt. Would we have seen Mette-Marit in a skirt, the effect was 50% less.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:30 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Mette-Marit wore a long gown. It is hard to make a poor curtsey wearing a floor length gown. It is hard to make a good curtsey wearing a skirt. Would we have seen Mette-Marit in a skirt, the effect was 50% less.
Of course, the long gown is one of the factors makes it elegant (at least I can't think of a bad curtsey with long gown, I even kinda believe that Theresa May's curtsey in last page will not look that bad if she is wearing a gown ). And my point is a curtsey with a nod is more “natural” and not that subservient in my eyes (that's why I also post Stephanie's).
Old 08-11-2018, 07:41 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Y.CII View Post
Of course, the long gown is one of the factors makes it elegant (at least I can't think of a bad curtsey with long gown, I even kinda believe that Theresa May's curtsey in last page will not look that bad if she is wearing a gown ). And my point is a curtsey with a nod is more “natural” and not that subservient in my eyes (that's why I also post Stephanie's).
Oh there can be horrible curtseys with a long gown. Just watch arrivals for the birthyday party of CP Frederick. Many cringeworthy moments there.

Closed Thread