The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-31-2017, 04:22 PM
Aristocracy

Well, it seems only logical that a head of state doesn't bow down to another one. They are both on the same level, no matter if one of them is "only" elected or if one has been in charge for 40 years and the other one only for four months.

As for the prime ministers, I remember Margaret Thatcher curtseying to Juan Carlos.

Old 07-31-2017, 04:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Would the Belgium PM bow to the Duchess of Cambridge?

Old 07-31-2017, 05:13 PM
Serene Highness

Personally I think it appropriate for Ministers and officials to bow/curtsey to any and all reigning Monarchs... in recognition of their office and of their nation..
Old 07-31-2017, 05:41 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashal View Post
Well, it seems only logical that a head of state doesn't bow down to another one. They are both on the same level, no matter if one of them is "only" elected or if one has been in charge for 40 years and the other one only for four months.

As for the prime ministers, I remember Margaret Thatcher curtseying to Juan Carlos.
So do I. I remember it well.

Charlottesville,Virginia. USA. 08/12/2017
. SHAME.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:57 PM
Serene Highness

Well having watched todays's events the British PM did curtsey to both the King & Queen of the Belgians (only a tiny dip as such but no less than Camilla does) so I don't think she has anything against curtseying to foreign royals in all circumstances. I guess like anything it just depends.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Such an archaic and foolish custom. No one is better than the other.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post

I agree and if I attempted one with my condition I would finish up in a heap at their feet
Old 08-01-2017, 12:49 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
I agree and if I attempted one with my condition I would finish up in a heap at their feet
I think referring to a custom that does not apply to your country as "archaic and foolish" is both rude and arrogant. Just like paying compliments to a senior officer in the military does not mean he or she is better than me. I would be saluting the Queen's Commission not the person holding the rank. Nobody is going to make you bow or curtsey and in this century it is mostly up to the individual as to whether they do or don't. Personally, I do and have.

As to creaking bones, most royals would be the last people to expect let alone insist that one bow or curtsey should you either be unable or unwilling to do so. However, I find the necessity to denigrate other countries traditions because they clash with yours, narrow-minded and insulting. Can they not be quaint and interesting and just make you happy they are not your customs?
Old 08-01-2017, 12:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

She is my Queen so I am allowed to have an opinion
Old 08-01-2017, 04:42 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
referring to a custom that does not apply to your country as "archaic and foolish" is both rude and arrogant
Amen.. but fairly typical from inhabitants of a Nation that pays 'lip service' to equality. but deprives MILLIONS of adequate Health care..
Old 08-01-2017, 04:48 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Amen.. but fairly typical from inhabitants of a Nation that pays 'lip service' to equality. but deprives MILLIONS of adequate Health care..
Please, lets not drag US politics into this part of the internet aswell.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator

Indeed, let's keep politics out of the discussion. Let us also be respectful of one-anothers' opinions when we disagree and be mindful of the fact that bowing, curtseying etc is more so in respect of the office held, rather than the person as an individual.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:01 AM
Commoner

Curtseying in old times looked dignified and smooth, but with modern clothes it looks a bit awkward. Seeing the bended legs somehow destroys the illusion. But it's fine by me if someone wants to curtsy as long as it's done voluntarily. I wouldn't do it.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:00 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minea View Post
Curtseying in old times looked dignified and smooth, but with modern clothes it looks a bit awkward. Seeing the bended legs somehow destroys the illusion. But it's fine by me if someone wants to curtsy as long as it's done voluntarily. I wouldn't do it.
My impression is that Americans in particular tend to exaggerate the meaning of bowing/curtsying, somehow equating it to one person acknowledging his/her inferiority to another. To me, it is just a socially acceptable form of greeting someone who holds a certain rank or title. In other words, in the same way it is appropriate for an active military person to salute another person in uniform, or for a Catholic to kiss the hand of a bishop, it is equally appropriate to bow/curtsy to a king/queen or a prince/princess. In any case, as you said, bowing/curtsying is always voluntary and it is not like you will be thrown in the Tower of London and have your head chopped off if you don't do it !
Old 08-01-2017, 11:01 AM
Majesty

Let us all keep in mind that, also in the UK, a révérence is always optional. No one is obliged to do so. Great that the Prime Minister went down through her knees. It was equally great for the Belgian King and Queen when she "just" offered a hand.

I have the idea the royals themselves (outside the UK) often make an impression: "No, no, please, I am honoured to meet you", a hidden sign of 'just a handshake is very fine'.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:08 PM
Courtier

How much ever a fan of curtseying, I do not appreciate a Prime Minister curtseying the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. Curtseying the Queen is a must, and maybe Prince of Wales.. but not anyone further. She is the person who really rules the country in the name of the Queen. So she need not pay homage to the lesser royals.. A polite handshake would suffice. Thatcher would have never done that. Just the Queen and the mister. And if I remember correctly, none of the other male PMs head bobbed to anyone other than the Queen and DoE
Old 08-01-2017, 04:40 PM

I've been lurking for years and have only asked one or two questions before. I do I have a quick question. I am disabled and not able to curtsy to anyone. If I ever met a Royal, would it ever be appropriate for me, as a woman to bow to royalty and if you have a link showing that, I"d really appreciate it.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrish View Post
How much ever a fan of curtseying, I do not appreciate a Prime Minister curtseying the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. Curtseying the Queen is a must, and maybe Prince of Wales.. but not anyone further. She is the person who really rules the country in the name of the Queen. So she need not pay homage to the lesser royals.. A polite handshake would suffice. Thatcher would have never done that. Just the Queen and the mister. And if I remember correctly, none of the other male PMs head bobbed to anyone other than the Queen and DoE
Thatcher curtsied to the Queen Mother, I've seen a pic of that. ETA just found one of her curtseying to Diana too.

LaRae
Old 08-01-2017, 05:18 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Bobbi View Post
I've been lurking for years and have only asked one or two questions before. I do I have a quick question. I am disabled and not able to curtsy to anyone. If I ever met a Royal, would it ever be appropriate for me, as a woman to bow to royalty and if you have a link showing that, I"d really appreciate it.
I see that you're from the US like I am. I believe that it is totally optional whether or not to bow and curtsy to anyone. Even in countries where they do have royalty. I'm sure that if you were to meet a royal, the best thing for you to do is what you're comfortable with. If you were to meet a royal though and knew about it in advance, you might want to check what is the protocol. One thing I know with the British royals is that with the Queen, its "Your majesty" the first time you address her and "Ma'am (as in ham) after that. One does not initiate the conversation but waits to be addressed.

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong about things because there are people far more knowledgeable than I on this matter.

I know that if I were to even attempt to do a curtsy, I'd be kissing shoes right quick.

Welcome to posting in the forums Princess Bobbi!
Old 08-01-2017, 06:08 PM
Aristocracy

I am American but I would gladly curtsy to any of the working royal family members because I am such an admirer of them and of their commitment to service. However, it hurts my knees so I am afraid they would have to pick me up off the floor afterward.