The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-19-2016, 11:06 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
He is briefed on protocol, but he's respectful in his own way. It's classy all the way.
Amen to that.

Old 08-19-2016, 05:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I honestly don't understand the big deal about President Obama bowing to Japan and Saudi Arabia. I mean, certainly it was a gaffe in protocol, but he has always been utterly respectful and classy when he meets with foreign heads of state. I would much rather my president err on the side of respect than to insult someone.

QEII slipped her arm about Michelle Obama's waist when they were first introduced. Was that a disgraceful thing for HM to do?

Would it have been okay if President Obama had bowed low to...say... King Haakon of Norway instead of to the Arab or Japanese royalty?

President Bush was photographed walking around his ranch in Crawford Texas holding hands with an Arab sheik for crying out loud.

I think Obama would probably face impeachment if he had been spotted strolling around the Rose Garden doing that.

I agree with Dman. President Obama is a gracious classy man and was unaware of proper protocol. He should have been better coached by the State Dept or his Chief of Protocol.
The people complaining are Americans who think their president bowing to Anyone, is subservient not respectful. For people who think Obama is President of 90 countries (so called self-proclaimed leaders of the free world ) it is confusing.

Now who is making it about race He shook hands with a sheikh?? So???

I guess Obama has been impeached. He has shaken hands with plenty

Not rose gardens but Camp David (CP of Saudi Arabia)
Obama Arab Summit.JPEG-04b5f.jpg - Washington Times

Better get impeaching, here he goes again
Obama vows to 'stand by' Gulf allies amid concern over Iran threat | Reuters

The difference, a handshake, hug, nod are acknowledgement to equals. A bow is a sign of obedience.

Not saying I Agree, simply understand why some find their president bowing to royal unnerving.

Our PM, who she is his superior directly, only nods
Queen Elizabeth II Photos - Queen Elizabeth II Meets Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau - Zimbio

Old 08-19-2016, 05:54 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Interesting conversation here. This is some information that I've dug up pertaining to Obama's bowing to the Emperor Akihito in 2009. Comes as a quote from the Office of the Chief of Protocol.

"The Office of the Chief of Protocol, working closely with the White House, provides advice on protocol matters for Presidential travel abroad. Protocol, in general, is about respecting the customs and traditions of a host country. The President was simply showing respect."

There is a breach of etiquette in this photo though and no one has noticed it.

"So did President Obama violate protocol? Well, yes, but not by bowing. He made the mistake of both shaking hands and bowing at the same time, a big breach of etiquette. The truth was that he was supposed to choose one or the other."

http://www.politico.com/blogs/laurar...n_the_bow.html

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2...evisited/?_r=0
Attached Images

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 08-19-2016, 06:11 PM
Imperial Majesty

That's all he's done, show respect to other countries traditions and customs. I would do the same.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-20-2016, 10:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
The President knows about protocol, Pranter. He's advised on this stuff on a regular bases. If there was a real problem with him doing it, he wouldn't be doing it. He's simply paying homage to the customs of the country he's visiting. He doesn't not have to do it, but that's the kind of guy he is. The man has too much class for people to understand.

I may not be President, but if I ever met The Queen, I will bow my head. I would even bow my head before the President. It's all about showing some respect for a Head of State in your own personal way.

There are people who curtsey before the President and some who bow. There some who even hug, kiss him and sometimes pick him up.

Of course he knows protocol. That is not the issue here. The issue is he knows it and ignores it.

It really doesn't matter what you, private citizen, does when you might meet a head of state. What matters is when the leader of the country (and those who work for him) do when they meet them.

I don't see how it is 'classy' to ignore protocol and just do whatever you want.

LaRae
Old 08-20-2016, 11:15 AM
Heir Apparent

I'm going to stray off topic and just say that I think this discussion has reached the point where people are not convincing one another of anything and are going to continue to disagree. It's a lively and deep discussion but it now is treading water.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:55 PM
Courtier

In the Scrabble dictionary the definition of "curtsy" is "to bow politely."

Sent from my iPod touch using The Royals Community
Old 08-21-2016, 11:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Of course he knows protocol. That is not the issue here. The issue is he knows it and ignores it.

It really doesn't matter what you, private citizen, does when you might meet a head of state. What matters is when the leader of the country (and those who work for him) do when they meet them.

I don't see how it is 'classy' to ignore protocol and just do whatever you want.

LaRae
He's not ignoring it. He's allowed to greet some of these leaders with their countries traditions. He also don't do it all the time. He just met up with The Queen this year and he didn't do a gentleman bow.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-24-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Very nicely done.

I have a little neice who is really into Princesses, Royal Weddings and everything princessy, pretty and girly. When she visits she checks to forums to see what they wear and she asked me how they managed to curtsey without landing on their tush. I came across a delightfully quaint, but right on the money, You Tube lesson on how to curtsey properly. I tried it with her for fun and surprise, surprise, surprise, neither of us fell on our tush!

Nice video.

Now how about the perfect Thai curtsy?

Or perhaps:

from 0:35 onwards?

But especially:

from 0:19 onwards!
Old 09-02-2016, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

A nice bow for the Infanta Alicia of Spain,Dowager Duchess of Calabria.

http://www.docelinajes.org/wp-conten...-DEL-SACER.jpg
Old 09-07-2016, 04:00 AM
Gentry

Flavia Hohenlohe y Medina (sister of the late Duke of Medinaceli) curtseys to the King of Spain today.

[DNF] Fotoarchief Denieuwsfoto

http://www.ppe-agency.com/preview.ph...9-2016%20Spain
Old 09-11-2016, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

HSH Rainier III bows to Queen Sofia following the enthronement ceremony of King Juan Carlos in 1975.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...cb46ec71b0.jpg