Which Royals Are Good Friends?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by mybags@Jun 7th, 2004 - 9:20 pm
I read in Queen Noor's book that she and Queen Anne-Marie of Greece are good friends. In fact, it was at Anne-Marie's home in England at which Queen Noor began to suffer her miscarriage. And it was King Constantine that phoned the absent King Hussein.
I read that too. I think that Queen Sophia of Spain was there too. I think Queen Noor and Queen Sophia are close also.

The Queen & the Maktoum brothers also share much in common, given their love of horse racing.

what queen are you referring to?

I believe that The Prince of Wales and Queen Beatrix are close as well. Alexandra of Kent used to be close to the Orleans family....
Diane of Wurttemberg to Juan-Carlos

Originally posted by bct88@Jun 7th, 2004 - 9:52 pm
I have a book about H.M. Queen Elizabeth II. It is called Queen Elizabeth II, A Celebration of Her Majesty's Fifty-Year Reign. It is by Tim Graham. It is loaded with Pictures and talks about how close Elizabeth and Sonja of Norway are. Also how Elizabeth and Juan Carlos I of Spain are good friends. It also talks about how H.M. King Constantine (former King of Greece) and Prince William are close friends. Click here and then on the book to take a look inside.
There was a show in the US all about QEII´s 50 years on the throne and they talked to a good number of people but the one who seemed to be the closest to Elizabeth is Queen Margrethe. Well, I mean among the foreign royals.. Well, she is her cousin too and her English is excellent and she knows all about the travails of being a Queen Regent so all of that could have played a part in the show.

Originally posted by Dennism+Jun 8th, 2004 - 10:57 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dennism @ Jun 8th, 2004 - 10:57 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bct88@Jun 7th, 2004 - 9:52 pm
I have a book about H.M. Queen Elizabeth II. It is called Queen Elizabeth II, A Celebration of Her Majesty's Fifty-Year Reign. It is by Tim Graham. It is loaded with Pictures and talks about how close Elizabeth and Sonja of Norway are. Also how Elizabeth and Juan Carlos I of Spain are good friends. It also talks about how H.M. King Constantine (former King of Greece) and Prince William are close friends. Click here and then on the book to take a look inside.
There was a show in the US all about QEII´s 50 years on the throne and they talked to a good number of people but the one who seemed to be the closest to Elizabeth is Queen Margrethe. Well, I mean among the foreign royals.. Well, she is her cousin too and her English is excellent and she knows all about the travails of being a Queen Regent so all of that could have played a part in the show. [/b][/quote]
What show was this?
~Kathleen

Originally posted by Dennism@Jun 8th, 2004 - 10:57 am

There was a show in the US all about QEII´s 50 years on the throne and they talked to a good number of people but the one who seemed to be the closest to Elizabeth is Queen Margrethe. Well, I mean among the foreign royals.. Well, she is her cousin too and her English is excellent and she knows all about the travails of being a Queen Regent so all of that could have played a part in the show.
That show (I can't remember the title, I think it was a four part series, focusing on different aspects of her life) was excellent and was the only time I have heard Margrethe speak. She had the most beautiful English accent, and did seem to hold Elizabeth in great affection.

It looks like Queen Elizabeth is close with King Constantine and Queen Anne Marie. They are at each other's big family events, and also Elizabeth allowed them to have Pavlos' wedding reception at Hampton Court Palace.

4 parts? Okay. I did not remember that. I watched it in one night. Well, it was episodic but I don´t remember it being more than 2 hours long.

Originally posted by Dennism@Jun 8th, 2004 - 12:30 pm
4 parts? Okay. I did not remember that. I watched it in one night. Well, it was episodic but I don´t remember it being more than 2 hours long.
I guess we are thinking of different shows, but there was a good series on PBS last year or 2002 on PBS to commemorate her Jubilee and it focused on her not the whole family. I will check the titles later today.

That sounds like it. Maybe I just saw the second part of it. I think I saw from the 60s onwards. Must have been the second part then.

I believe it was called The Windsors? I did watch it.

THe series I'm referring to is called "Elizabeth: Queen and Country." It was produced by the BBC and William Shawcross, c. 2002.

It had different segments, about 45 minutes each, such as "Enduring Loyalties," "Private Passions", "Servant of the People." Amongst those interviewed were PRincess Anne and the Duchess of Grafton. It was excellent. I don't remember any interview clips from foreign royals, but many of those interviewed are friends of royalty, so maybe I am not going off the posted topic too much!

bct88: I think you are talking about "The Windsors: A Royal fAmily" hosted by Brian Blessed. That was good too.

Originally posted by Lady Jean@Jun 9th, 2004 - 9:01 am
THe series I'm referring to is called "Elizabeth: Queen and Country." It was produced by the BBC and William Shawcross, c. 2002.

It had different segments, about 45 minutes each, such as "Enduring Loyalties," "Private Passions", "Servant of the People." Amongst those interviewed were PRincess Anne and the Duchess of Grafton. It was excellent. I don't remember any interview clips from foreign royals, but many of those interviewed are friends of royalty, so maybe I am not going off the posted topic too much!

bct88: I think you are talking about "The Windsors: A Royal fAmily" hosted by Brian Blessed. That was good too.
That´s it then. They did talk to a good number of friends and people of the Court. It was quite good.

What about Japan? They seem so secluded over there. I've heard that the Japanese CP is friends with CP Mathilde, but other than that, I don't know. Also, who else is QMII of Denmark and her whole family friends with?
~Kathleen

Originally posted by SpiffyBallerina@Jun 9th, 2004 - 12:19 pm
What about Japan? They seem so secluded over there. I've heard that the Japanese CP is friends with CP Mathilde, but other than that, I don't know. Also, who else is QMII of Denmark and her whole family friends with?
~Kathleen
i included masako in my first post... :)
i wouldn't have forgotten about her now that sweet masako isn't having a good time... :p

Originally posted by Dennism@Jun 9th, 2004 - 12:37 pm
bct88: I think you are talking about "The Windsors: A Royal fAmily" hosted by Brian Blessed.  That was good too.
Yes, that is it. I found it on Amazon.com. You can get it there on DVD.

Originally posted by bct88+Jun 9th, 2004 - 8:15 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bct88 @ Jun 9th, 2004 - 8:15 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Dennism@Jun 9th, 2004 - 12:37 pm
bct88: I think you are talking about "The Windsors: A Royal fAmily" hosted by Brian Blessed.  That was good too.
Yes, that is it. I found it on Amazon.com. You can get it there on DVD. [/b][/quote]
Is "The Windsors: A Royal Family" the one with foreign royals speaking like QMII or is that the other one? I'm so confused :wacko: !
~Kathleen

;) Prince Albert of Monaco and prince Emmanuel Filibert of Savoie are really closed. They love play tennis together and practising other sports. Albert came to Emmanuel's wedding with Clotilde Courau.

Yes. The couple were introduced by Albert and he was best man for the wedding.

Originally posted by SpiffyBallerina+Jun 9th, 2004 - 9:12 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SpiffyBallerina @ Jun 9th, 2004 - 9:12 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by bct88@Jun 9th, 2004 - 8:15 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-Dennism
@Jun 9th, 2004 - 12:37 pm

Yes, that is it. I found it on Amazon.com. You can get it there on DVD.
Is "The Windsors: A Royal Family" the one with foreign royals speaking like QMII or is that the other one? I'm so confused :wacko: !
~Kathleen [/b][/quote]
Spiffyb:
I can't remember which one has QM talking about QEII. Sorry for the confusion. There have been so many biographies on tv about QE because of the Jubilee year.

Originally posted by Dennism@Jun 10th, 2004 - 7:54 am
Yes. The couple were introduced by Albert and he was best man for the wedding.
And also isn't he is close to the Duke and Duchess of Calabria...was he best man for that too? I seem to remember she wore what looked like a copy of Grace Kelly's wedding dress.

Originally posted by timtonruben359@Jun 4th, 2004 - 2:43 pm

I remember reading somewhere that Queen Elizabeth II is not too found of Queen Beatrix though...I can't remember the exact reason but I think Queen Elizabeth II feels that Queen Beatrix is too "full of herself"....I'll try and find it again...nothing like good royal infighting ;)
I think one of the reasons Queen Elizabeth may dislike Queen Beatrix is because people in Britain and in particular Scotland, are always holding up Queen Beatrix as an example of good down to earth monarch and saying how much they wished Queen Elizabeth was more like her. I remember a few years ago being on a bus in Edinburgh and the traffic was hardly moving. People were getting very angry because of the delay and the driver said it was because of a royal visit to the National Gallery on Princes Street. This made people all the more angry saying "they should stay in London." When the driver pointed out that it was Queen Beatrix everyone calm down and people were saying "oh that's alright then."

By the way, QueenElizabeth is only Elizabeth II in England. In Scotland, and every other county of which she is head of state, she is Elizabeth I.

Originally posted by Iain@Jun 11th, 2004 - 4:10 am
By the way, Queen Elizabeth is only Elizabeth II in England. In Scotland, and every other county of which she is head of state, she is Elizabeth I.
By law Queen Elizabeth II is recgonized as Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, there has been a movement in Scotland to change her title there to Queen Elizabeth I, as England's Queen Elizabeth I did not reign over Scotland. It is a defacto tradition in Scotland but not law yet.

All of the countries in which Queen EII is head of state, she is recgonized as Elizabeth II. In Canada the Queen is indeed the second Elizabeth to reign over us. The first Elizabeth was Queen of small British Colonies founded in what is now Canada during her reign.

Originally posted by timtonruben359+Jun 11th, 2004 - 11:48 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (timtonruben359 @ Jun 11th, 2004 - 11:48 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Iain@Jun 11th, 2004 - 4:10 am
By the way, Queen Elizabeth is only Elizabeth II in England. In Scotland, and every other county of which she is head of state, she is Elizabeth I.
By law Queen Elizabeth II is recgonized as Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, there has been a movement in Scotland to change her title there to Queen Elizabeth I, as England's Queen Elizabeth I did not reign over Scotland. It is a defacto tradition in Scotland but not law yet.

All of the countries in which Queen EII is head of state, she is recgonized as Elizabeth II. In Canada the Queen is indeed the second Elizabeth to reign over us. The first Elizabeth was Queen of small British Colonies founded in what is now Canada during her reign. [/b][/quote]
By who's law? certainly not Scots law. After she ascended the throne post boxes with EIIR on it where blown up because it was wrong and also because it had the English crown. Today nowhere in Scotland will you see this and post boxes and vans only have the Scottish crown on it. It's alright to say that she is regonised as Elizabeth the second in other countries of the commonwealth but they simply had it imposed on them by the English authorities who are totally insensitive to any traditions bar their own. The golden jubilee web site listed "British" monarchs who had reigned for over 50 years. Two of them were English, not British (as the U.K. only came into being in 1603). The first British monarch, James V! was totally ignored despite reigning or 59 years. Any complaints where just ignored. The Royal web site claimes that Edward II was king of Scots. He claimed to be but the Scots never recognised him. Again any compalints were just ignored.

There was a series of magazines called The Kings and Queens of Britain. It started with the early English kings who were not British and when it came to the union of 1603 it said thet in that year the "kings of England started to rule over Scotland." Anyone who knows their history know that the English Royal family deid out in that year and that it was the King of Scots who ruled England. When people complained the wording was changed to "the kings of Britain came to rule over Scotland."

The sooner the so called "United" Kingdom is disbanded the better.

the topic is Best Royal Friends
you can talk about it in the right forum...

Originally posted by hillary_nugent@Jun 6th, 2004 - 2:25 am
hmz...i heard that Prince Felipe of Spain and Prince Frederick of Denmark were best friends
Prince Felipe's very best friend is not a royal--it's fellow by the name of Alvaro Fuster. They've been friends since they were like 12. But as far as his royal friends go, I'd say that recent events would suggest that Felipe and Frederick are NOT best friends or Frederick would have carved out time from his honeymoon to go to his best friends wedding. It is said that the Jordanian royal family and the Spanish royal family have close ties--which is why Felipe carved time out of his honeymoon to go to the Jordanian festivities.

I had alwasy heard that Felipe got on very well with Hakoon of Norway and Victoria of Sweden.

I have a suspicion that Maxima and Letizia will find a lot in common--but they've only just met, so, time will tell.

While the Greek family are obviously cousins, they do say that Pablo and Nickolas are two of Felipe's closest friends, along with his cousin on his Father's side, Beltran Gomez-Acebo.

The British Royals and Greek Royals are close: They serve as godparents to each families children, and they attend all major family events for each other.

Crown Princess Victoria is supposedly good friends with CP Frederik and Prince Nicholas of Greece.

When CP Frederik met Mary, he was in a royal group composed of Prince Nicholas and Princess Martha Louise of Norway.

Originally posted by carlota@Jun 4th, 2004 - 8:51 pm
Princess Mathilde and Princess Maxima are friends too! They have been seen, when they (=Philippe and Mathilde) were going out of the door from W-A & Maxima's house after a dinner there.

aww! i would really like to see that photo of clever maxima and sweet mathilde toghether!!
Here it is!!!! Mathilde and Philippe leaving W-A and Maxima's house after a dinner there.

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v292/Jelka/39e26ccf.bmp

Originally posted by Cathérine Bergeyck@Jun 15th, 2004 - 8:03 am
Thank you Jelka !! :flower:

I had never seen these, do you know when they were taken?
Somewhere in the middle of 2002. A couple of months later after W-A and Maxima's visit to Charleroi (if you remember) definitely.

That is cool. Just two couples getting together for a dinner. Mathilde and Maxima probably discussed when they were going to wear the same outfit so as to not wear it at the same time!

Back
Top Bottom