The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-29-2018, 04:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
This proposal again shows that continental royals aren't considered that important. There is no reason why William and Catherine cannot go to royal weddings etc. All other heirs (of age) do or the monarch him/herself goes. So, I see no reason at all why the UK delegates that to less senior royals. By now Edward and Sophie have better relationships than Charles and Camilla but that isn't the case for Harry vs William.

As you already referenced, William and Catherine are about the same age as Guillaume and Stephanie and will most likely be in the same position for quite some time (just like their fathers were both heirs from 1964 and 2000; so Charles had a colleague only a few years younger for decades!), so indeed perfect for socializing and given Carl Gustafs age Victoria might be the heir for quite some time as well and children in the same age group helps as well, so two couples that might be the ones that they could develop closer relationships with if so inclined.

The European Crown Princes are older and got married long before William and Kate got married. Charles attended Philippe's, Willem-Alexander's and Felipe's weddings; he didn't attend Frederik's and Victoria's, which is somewhat surprising, but, in any case, William could not have attended any of those events (not even Victoria's) given his age and/or civil status at the time.

Now that William and Kate are established senior royals, they have been reaching out to the Continental royal houses. They have made visits (either alone or as a couple) to Belgium, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, and Norway, and the recent Scandinavian tour in particular was specifically described by the British side as an opportunity for William and Kate to "get to know" the CP couples of Sweden and Norway and "share experiences" about raising children, etc.

There won't be any major royal wedding in the near future, but it wouldn't surprise me if we saw William and Kate more often in royal events in the continent in the future. At some point in the next decades, I believe we will see a series of major royal funerals, as the older generation inevitably bows out, but it wouldn't make sense to send William and Kate to those events; Charles IMHO, even when he is already King, would be the best choice to attend.

Old 03-29-2018, 04:48 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
That expression was coined, I believe, by the British press, not by the Royal Family, and I think it referred originally to the Dutch royals, rather than the Scandinavians.

Anyway, most of the major historic monarchies in Europe (Austria, France, Russia, Portugal etc.) are now gone. Denmark and Sweden are old monarchies, but they are relatively small countries that were at most regional, but never major continental powers. The only surviving monarchy with an imperial past comparable to that of the British monarchy is Spain, but, following the republican interregnum and the Franco dictatorship, the restored Spanish monarchy now keeps a relatively low profile (although it is still a reference in Latin America for example). Belgium and the Netherlands, on the other hand, are "young" monarchies (established in the 19th century), albeit with much older royal families. Both countries also had an imperial past (the Netherlands most notably in Indonesia, but also in Suriname, and Belgium in the Congo), but it doesn't rise to the level of the former British, Spanish, or Portuguese empires. It is understandable then that the British monarchy should get much more international visibility outside Europe than the other smaller European kingdoms.
Were the french, Russian, Austrian and Germany monarchies much bigger in terms of influence than the British monarchy? How is it the Spanish royal family is not visibility known in terms of influence when the new younger monarchs and their daughter is a great image?

Old 03-29-2018, 04:51 PM
Nobility

Quote:
The European Crown Princes are older and got married long before William and Kate got married. Charles attended Philippe's, Willem-Alexander's and Felipe's weddings; he didn't attend Frederik's and Victoria's, which is somewhat surprising, but, in any case, William could not have attended any of those events (not even Victoria's) given his age and/or civil status at the time.

Now that William and Kate are established senior royals, they have been reaching out to the Continental royal houses. They have made visits (either alone or as a couple) to Belgium, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, and Norway, and the recent Scandinavian tour in particular was specifically described by the British side as an opportunity for William and Kate to "get to know" the CP couples of Sweden and Norway and "share experiences" about raising children, etc.

There won't be any major royal wedding in the near future, but it wouldn't surprise me if we saw William and Kate more often in royal events in the continent in the future. At some point in the next decades, I believe we will see a series of major royal funerals, as the older generation inevitably bows out, but it wouldn't make sense to send William and Kate to those events; Charles IMHO, even when he is already King, would be the best choice to attend.
Who cares about age. I have older and younger friends. Honestly The BRF will loose its top dog position and influence once The Queen is gone.
Old 03-29-2018, 05:30 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
William could not have attended any of those events (not even Victoria's) given his age and/or civil status at the time.
Both Charles, Camilla and the boys was invited to Victoria's wedding but Charles hurt his leg, Camilla wouldn't go without him and William went to South Africa for the World championships in football. Apparently even Catherine was invited and it was widely reported in the tabloids at the time that William didn't want to be seen with her at a high profile event like this since "they'd have their faces on tea towels before they got back to the UK".
Old 03-29-2018, 05:43 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:

The proposal that I responded to was made by a member who suggested sending Harry and Meghan in the future instead of William and Catherine, so I am not sure how your comment contradicts that or were you trying to emphasize my point?!

The last decade the BRF sent minor royals to all kind of continental events (there are many more events than weddings - also including parties by monarchs, so age cannot be the issue) when other royal houses sent their heirs sometimes accompanied by the monarch or by other princes and princesses. The suggestion that Harry and Meghan should take over that role from Edward and Sophie would continue the same message as that the heir is too important to be bothered attending.

I hope that we'll see William and Catherine at these events in the future. Harry and Meghan can join them if invited...
Old 03-29-2018, 09:08 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty1224 View Post
Who cares about age. I have older and younger friends. Honestly The BRF will loose its top dog position and influence once The Queen is gone.
Who is going to dethrone them, pardon the pun?
Old 03-29-2018, 09:55 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post
Who is going to dethrone them, pardon the pun?
I believe the SRF. Esp with the new image Felipe and Letizia are projecting and their daughters are beautiful. I believe they will overtake them in the long run.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:44 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Top dog? what do you mean
Old 04-01-2018, 09:48 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Top dog? what do you mean
Most famous and influential
Old 04-01-2018, 09:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Most famous and influential
I think they will still be famous.. I dont think they are particularly influential. THe queen is 90, and when she goes there will be Charles and Wm and Kate who are an attractive younger couple with kids. And Harry and Meghan who will raise the profile in America.. so no I don't realy see why you feel that the RF's fame will fade when the queen is gone.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:55 AM
Royal Highness

Being a royal is not about fame. I'm sure all of them would be more than happy to loose the attention of the tabloids so they could concentrate on what they're really there for - to serve the people of their respective countries.
Old 04-01-2018, 10:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
the new image Felipe and Letizia are projecting and their daughters are beautiful. I believe they will overtake them in the long run.
Queen Letizia's beauty will fade, but the King will remain handsome, and it is likely both the Infanta's will be beauties, but we [rightly] know nothing of their personalities..

The King appears aloof, the Queen is regarded as cold and distant [even by Spaniards]. Their throne is considered precarious, so unless either or both the Infantas prove to have dazzling 'star appeal', I think they will remain or [relatively] little interest...
Old 04-01-2018, 02:24 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I think they will still be famous.. I dont think they are particularly influential. THe queen is 90, and when she goes there will be Charles and Wm and Kate who are an attractive younger couple with kids. And Harry and Meghan who will raise the profile in America.. so no I don't realy see why you feel that the RF's fame will fade when the queen is gone.
There influence won’t be as strong and big as it is now. Everyone knows it’s the Queen who is keeping the monarchy together. After that all bets are off. Honestly I can never see anyone raising the BRF profile in America like Diana did. Outside the world Megan and Harry are a non factor.
Old 04-01-2018, 02:30 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
Being a royal is not about fame. I'm sure all of them would be more than happy to loose the attention of the tabloids so they could concentrate on what they're really there for - to serve the people of their respective countries.
Without their fame how would they bring awareness to charities or bring tourism to the country? They are public servants and they and you need to understand that.
Old 04-01-2018, 02:31 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Queen Letizia's beauty will fade, but the King will remain handsome, and it is likely both the Infanta's will be beauties, but we [rightly] know nothing of their personalities..

The King appears aloof, the Queen is regarded as cold and distant [even by Spaniards]. Their throne is considered precarious, so unless either or both the Infantas prove to have dazzling 'star appeal', I think they will remain or [relatively] little interest...
Really The King appears aloof and The Queen cold? How so? Why is their throne consider precarious? Anything can change in the future?
Old 04-01-2018, 02:49 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Really The King appears aloof and The Queen cold? How so? Why is their throne consider precarious? Anything can change in the future?
You might want to check the topic on the future of the monarchy of Spain. All the recent scandals in the Spanish royal family don't suggest a stable monarchy. And Letizia has never been popular with the Spaniards (nor with her in-laws and Felipe's friends apparently). They might be doing the right thing but give the impression as if they are 'above' their people. The main exception is when tragedy hits, in those times they visit those impacted most and show compassion.

On a worldwide scale the Spanish monarchy still attracts some interest in Latin America but that needs to be condolidated in the next decade as Juan Carlos is less and less able to travel and the official familia real has been reduced to only 4 adult members.
Old 04-01-2018, 02:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
There influence won’t be as strong and big as it is now. Everyone knows it’s the Queen who is keeping the monarchy together. After that all bets are off. Honestly I can never see anyone raising the BRF profile in America like Diana did. Outside the world Megan and Harry are a non factor.
With all due respect:
When it comes down to it, I don't think for the British RF their profile in the USofA is relevant... if any "profile" to the outside world is important it will primarily be that in the countries they reign...
Old 04-01-2018, 03:07 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Without their fame how would they bring awareness to charities or bring tourism to the country? They are public servants and they and you need to understand that.
The Queen is loved and respected for her non-wavering service to the nation.
The royals need to be known yes but, at least to me, staying relevant is different from being famous.
The minute royals start to court the media they're on a downhill slope hurting themselves and the monarchy as evident for instance in the fate of Diana of Wales.
Most royals of Europe are not worldwide tabloid celebrities and do just fine both in their private lives and as representatives of their respective countries.
Old 04-01-2018, 05:10 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
You might want to check the topic on the future of the monarchy of Spain. All the recent scandals in the Spanish royal family don't suggest a stable monarchy. And Letizia has never been popular with the Spaniards (nor with her in-laws and Felipe's friends apparently). They might be doing the right thing but give the impression as if they are 'above' their people. The main exception is when tragedy hits, in those times they visit those impacted most and show compassion.

On a worldwide scale the Spanish monarchy still attracts some interest in Latin America but that needs to be condolidated in the next decade as Juan Carlos is less and less able to travel and the official familia real has been reduced to only 4 adult members.
Wow didn’t know that about Letzia. I always assumed she was quite popular. Wow so no monarchy for Leonor to possibly inherit?
Old 04-01-2018, 05:32 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
The Queen is loved and respected for her non-wavering service to the nation.
The royals need to be known yes but, at least to me, staying relevant is different from being famous.
The minute royals start to court the media they're on a downhill slope hurting themselves and the monarchy as evident for instance in the fate of Diana of Wales.
Most royals of Europe are not worldwide tabloid celebrities and do just fine both in their private lives and as representatives of their respective countries.
Makes sense