The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-17-2017, 02:37 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I miss her too, very much. The simple dignity and humility of this grand woman was never faked..it was the essential Fabiola. It showed not only in her reluctance to wear Orders even though no one would have looked askance at her if she did-she was a born noblewoman AND a Queen after all- it was also demonstrated by her Funeral Mass...no honors, no orders, no Coat of Arms on display.

She was wise enough to know that at the end none of the things of this world matter...we brought nothing into the world and we will take nothing out.

I don't think we will see the likes of Fabiola Mora y Aragon, Queen of the Belgians again for a very long while.

Thank you! Beautifully put. ❤️

Old 12-17-2017, 02:40 PM
Courtier

I'm really hopeful that in a year or two, we might hear talk of a possible cause for canonisation for King Baudouin and Queen Fabiola. Cardinal Daneels has said this absolutely wont happen but I'd like to think that in time there would be a rethink of this.

Old 12-17-2017, 02:41 PM
Commoner

I agreed. Hopefully Cardinal Daneels has a change of heart.
Old 12-17-2017, 02:43 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllGone View Post
I agreed. Hopefully Cardinal Daneels has a change of heart.
Realistically it doesn't need the Cardinal's approval of course. Any Bishop with the authority over a diocese where the veneration exists, and who believes the cause to be worthy of examination, can recommend a cause to be opened by the Vatican.
Old 12-17-2017, 03:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Cardinal Daneels said at our TV short after King Baudouin's passed away that nothing was open in Rome about his Beatification..In Belgium we all know why, but I may not written it on this board.
For Queen Fabiola Cardinal Van Kessel never spoke about it.
There is a Demand for Beatification of Empress Zita since years with no succes .
Always Beatification before Canonisation !!
Old 12-17-2017, 03:02 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Cardinal Daneels said at our TV short after King Baudouin's passed away that nothing was open in Rome about his Beatification..In Belgium we all know why, but I may not written it on this board.
There is a Demand for Beatification of Empress Zita since years with no succes .
I'd be really interested to know why it wouldn't be possible for any cause to be opened for Baudouin. But then it would depend if there was a local cause with enough of a presence to be taken seriously. Emperor Karl's cause only seems to be progressing because there's a very committed grass roots cause for it which possibly doesn't exist for Zita, Fabiola or Baudouin.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:06 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Always Beatification before Canonisation !!
Is this related to the year 1990? A simple yes or no is all that I need.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:40 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

It was said that the Vatican researched the life of the late king and figured out that it wasn't all saintly.

In 1962 the king refused to pardon the Greek hitman Georges
Kageorgis. Mr. Kageorgis was subsequently put to death as he had received the death penalty (in -then- Belgian Burundi). A practice that was already abolished in Belgium itself.

The king also knew about the murder plot against Patrice Lumumba (first prime minister of the independent Congo) and did nothing. His silence was considered 'tacid approval' of the murder, according to the sociologist Ludo de Witte.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Cardinal Danneels has officiated at many of the Belgian Royal Weddings/Baptisms and Funerals but was he on good terms with King Baudouin?

8th of January,2020 -Death of HRH The Infanta Doña Pilar of Spain, Duchess of Badajoz,Dowager Viscountess de la Torre
Old 02-08-2018, 04:14 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
It was said that the Vatican researched the life of the late king and figured out that it wasn't all saintly.

In 1962 the king refused to pardon the Greek hitman Georges
Kageorgis. The king also knew about the murder plot against Patrice Lumumba (first prime minister of the independent Congo) and did nothing. His silence was considered 'tacid approval' of the murder, according to the sociologist Ludo de Witte.

Thank you for this information Marengo. I very much admired Baudouin-still do in fact-but I have never considered him a saint even though I think there were elements of saintliness in the way he confronted the tragedies and setbacks of his life. I obviously didn't know him but I am almost 100% certain he did not consider himself a saint at all, and an attempt at canonization would probably have horrified him.

Queen Fabiola felt the same way about herself.

In any case, I always suspected deep inside that the Holy See's decision not to consider canonization proceedings had something to do with the unseemly rumors about Baudouin and his step-mother the Princess de Rethy which continue to this day. I am happy to know that this is not the case.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 02-08-2018, 04:24 PM
Majesty

Quote:
In fact, on 10 December 2009, Mgr Yves Le Saux, Bishop of Le Mans, France, opened the diocesan process for the beatification of Empress Zita:

Old 02-08-2018, 04:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Genuine curiosity: why would one want a canonisation of K.Baudouin?
Old 02-08-2018, 05:43 PM
Majesty

As I posted, there were characteristics of saintliness in Baudouin's personality. Reading available material on him, including excerpts from his private diaries, there can be no doubt about his deep faith and his intense love for the Lord.

He accepted any and all adversity in his life as God's will and put his complete trust in Him, which is the essence of saintliness but....Baudouin was no saint as he probably would be the first to agree.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 02-09-2018, 07:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Don't mix Empress Zita and King Baudouin.
In France Catholics wanted since years a beatification for Empress Zita also .
Old 09-07-2018, 05:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

The heritage of Queen Fabiola in Spain

https://www.vanitatis.elconfidencial...tasma_1612410/

https://translate.googleusercontent....ED6TqZEoF93tLg

The mystery of the Villa Astrida

https://www.vanitatis.elconfidencial...otril_1612184/

https://translate.googleusercontent....olV65tUHyMMp-g

The story of Baudouin with Fabiola. And how the matchmaking with Infanta Pilar did not work

https://www.vanitatis.elconfidencial...biola_1612300/

https://translate.googleusercontent....CP06cDpQmeHGkw
Old 09-07-2018, 06:03 PM
Majesty

I love this couple and I love their story. There is something...innocent, romantic and melancholy about it all at the same time.

They seemed truly fated to be together.

Thanks eya.

Old 09-07-2018, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The Infanta Pilar would have been far too bossy as queen of the Belgians I would never have paired her with King Baudouin

8th of January,2020 -Death of HRH The Infanta Doña Pilar of Spain, Duchess of Badajoz,Dowager Viscountess de la Torre
Old 09-07-2018, 11:59 PM
Royal Highness

Thanks! Wasn't it somewhat unexpected in Fabiola's time for a woman who was a member of a very well-heeled noble family to work a regular job as a nurse in addition to her charity pursuits? I am sure King Baudouin appreciated her social commitment.
Old 09-08-2018, 02:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
Genuine curiosity: why would one want a canonisation of K.Baudouin?
I cant see why not, if he was a good man and fit the criteria for sainthood. Its pretty rare for a king to have that sort of virtue.. so it would be wonderful if one did...
Old 09-08-2018, 04:56 AM
Majesty

But a miracle through his intercession should happen in order to start the beatification process

Tags
king baudouin, queen fabiola