Questions about Queen Beatrix

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenngirl

Aristocracy
Country
United States
I was looking at some pictures of the Queen today with Prince Claus and I had a thought. What would happen if the Queen married again?

Supposing that he would be acceptable to the government (I think they would have to approve?) could they just get married? Obviously, she would still be the Queen, etc. and he would just be a Prince.

I doubt that this would happen but I am just wondering, since she is not really really old, she might want to have someone to share the rest of her life with! :wub:

Well, I do not think that she will marry again. She loved her husband very much and was clearly devastated when he passed away. Above and beyond that she has a large and growing group of grandchildren to keep her busy in the coming years.

Also, I am not sure that there is any precedence (please correct me if I am wrong) of a reigning Queen remarrying once her consort passes. Not that that means anything, but I just can't see it happening.

She certainly has all the right in the world, but I just don't think that she would want to. If they had the love that I think they had, that would be incredibly hard to replace or duplicate, and she was clearly devoted to Claus.

Just my two cents.

Empress said:
Well, I do not think that she will marry again. She loved her husband very much and was clearly devastated when he passed away. Above and beyond that she has a large and growing group of grandchildren to keep her busy in the coming years.

Also, I am not sure that there is any precedence (please correct me if I am wrong) of a reigning Queen remarrying once her consort passes. Not that that means anything, but I just can't see it happening.

She certainly has all the right in the world, but I just don't think that she would want to. If they had the love that I think they had, that would be incredibly hard to replace or duplicate, and she was clearly devoted to Claus.

Just my two cents.

She could if she wanted and if the Government and Parliament gives it Permission. I don't know if she would also need permission from the Parliament like the others who are in line of succession.

One reigning queen married 2 times

Maria II. of Portugal, born 1819, died 1853,
married first 1834/1835 August de Beauharnis, 2. Duke of Leuchtenberg,
born 1810, died 1835 (only 2 months after the marriage)
married second 1836 Ferdinand, Prince of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, * born 1816, died 1885, who became King-Consort as King Fernando II. after the birth of their first son in 1837.

There's no difference between male or female monarchs in the Dutch constitution - there's only mention of "The King". Relevant laws therefor apply regardless of gender. Wilhemina was already Queen when she married and she needed permission from Parliament so Beatrix certainly would need the permision of Parliament again. King Willem I wanted to remarry a Catholic and even worse a Belgian Countess (who had been his wife's lady in waiting!) after his first wife, Queen Consort Wilhelmina had passed away. Parliament (and a large part of his family for that matter) was dead against it - an act would not have passed - one of the reason for his abdication in 1840. He married with the Countess a year later. So, theoretically Beatrix could remarry. However I doubt that she ever will, even if she finds a new partner.

Queen Beatrix and her central role in the lawmaking process

-> a departement makes a Bill;

-> the Bill is sent to the Council of Ministers;

-> the Council of Ministers discusses the Bill;

-> the Council of Ministers sends the Bill with a memorandum to the Queen and requests Her Majesty to take it into Her consideration. The Bill begins with the formula for the promulgating of laws: ""We, BEATRIX, by the grace of God Queen of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau, &c., &c., &c.; Salute to all those who shall see this or hear this read! Be it known: Whereas We have taken into consideration that it is desirable to [the reasons of the law]; Thus it is that We, having heard the Council of State, and after mutual deliberation with the States-General have approved and decreed, as We have approved and understand herewith, [the contents of the law] Given, &c."

-> the Queen reads the Bill and signs a Royal Command to the Council of State in which she requests them for their advice;

-> the Council of State returns the Bill to the Queen, together with their advice, a copy of that advice is sent to the minister involved;

-> the minister must react on that advice and sends a 'Closer Report' and an Explanatory Memorandum on the Bill to the Queen

-> the Queen signs a Royal Command in which she requests the Second Chamber of the States-General to take the Bill into deliberation: "To the States-General, together with this We send you a Bill concerning [....]. The Explanatory Memorandum attached to the Bill contains the grounds on which it rests. And herewith We command you in the Lord's holy protection."

-> the Second Chamber has approved the Bill and sends it to the First Chamber: "The Second Chamber of the States-General sends to the First Chamber the enclosed proposal of the King, and is of the opinion that it should be passed by the States-General in its present form"

-> the First Chamber has approved the Bill and makes this known to the Queen with the message "To the King, the States-General expresses to the King its thanks for his zeal in promoting the interests of the State, and agrees to the proposal in its present form"

-> The First Chamber sends the Bill to the Queen and requests her to sign it with the following message: "To the King, the States-General, considering that the enclosed bill might serve to promote the interests of the State, respectfully requests the King's assent thereto"

-> The Queen signs the Bill (and now the Bill has become an Act). She sends a message to the States-General: "The King agrees the Bill"

-> The Queen signs a Royal Command to the Minister of Justice to publish the Act in the State Gazette.

Last edited:
I agree it would be great for her if she somehow could find love again. But I doubt it, if only because Claus is quite a hard act to follow. But then again, life is full of surprises, why not for this hard-working queen?

I apologize for asking a stupid question, but what did Prince Claus die of? Wasn't he really sick for a few years? I am thinking I should remember this, but I can't!

Tenngirl

tenngirl said:
I apologize for asking a stupid question, but what did Prince Claus die of? Wasn't he really sick for a few years? I am thinking I should remember this, but I can't!

Tenngirl

In 1982 he was taken into psychiatric hospital for severe depressions. In 1991 he was diagnosed with a form of the degenerative brain disorder, Parkinson's disease. In 2002 Prince Claus had been in and out of intensive care for several months with respiratory and heart problems. Finally he died, most likely of cancer.

tenngirl said:

Tenngirl

This was released from the Royal House after the death of Prince Claus.

Doctors at the University Medical Centre, Amsterdam have stated that the cause of the Prince's death was Parkinson's disease and pneumonia.

Also, I remember reading around WA's wedding to Maxima, that Claus only had one working kidney, and the one that was working, wasn't doing that great either.
Six months later he passed away..unbelievable it's been four years now, insn't it?

princess olga said:
Also, I remember reading around WA's wedding to Maxima, that Claus only had one working kidney, and the one that was working, wasn't doing that great either.
Six months later he passed away..unbelievable it's been four years now, insn't it?

I also read that one of the reasons WA & M married in 02-02-02, and not afterwards, was that they knew that Claus' health was fading rapidly...

Remarriage of a King

There are two examples in the Netherlands of a King remarrying for a second time. And there are more examples earlier of the reigning Prince of Orange (the Stadtholder) remarrying.

Willem I Frederik King of the Netherlands, Prince of Orange-Nassau, Grand Duke of Luxembourg (1772-1843)
married in 1841 for the second time with
Henrica ('Henriëtte') Adriana Ludovica Flora Countess d'Oultremont de Wégimont de Warfusée (1792-1864)

and

Willem III Alexander Paul Frederik Lodewijk King of the Netherlands, Prince of Orange-Nassau, Grand Duke of Luxembourg (1817-1890)
married in 1879 for the second time with
Adelheid Emma Wilhelmina Theresia Princess zu Waldeck und Pyrmont (1858-1934)

As Henry already pointed out, several kings had remarried after the death of their first spouse ( and reading about european royal history, boy was Willem III shopping for a new wife, it seems he had asked virtually every available princess:lol: ).
A king remarrying, mostly opened the door for new offspring (rarely was the second wife as old as he was, most often the new wife was still in childbearing age and had other children). These children could potentially bring the succession line in a different order.
Queen Beatrix however is way past that age and should she eventually find herself a "John Brown" I personally would be quite happy for her.
Statistically, a widow or widower from a happy marriage is more likely to remarry. However I don't see Beatrix marrying or even starting a new relationship again.:sad:
A pity, since I think she is quite an attractive woman (get rid of the helmet hair Beatrix and you'll be the belle of the ball:wub: ) and most interesting too, and since I presume she will in the not so far future give way to her son, she could enjoy a happy retirement better with someone at her side other than her dogs.

I really do not think HM will ever remarry, but IF she does I expect the court not to ask for a title for the man. He will enter the royal stage so late in life that I do not expect him to get any title or perform any official acts. Of course this is all pure speculation, but it seems most logical to me.

The Act on the membership of the Royal House 2002 says:

Marengo said:
I really do not think HM will ever remarry, but IF she does I expect the court not to ask for a title for the man. He will enter the royal stage so late in life that I do not expect him to get any title or perform any official acts. Of course this is all pure speculation, but it seems most logical to me.

The Act on the memberhsip of the Royal House 2002 says in article 8, first part that the Heir, and the King who has abdicated, are 'Prins (Prinses) der Nederlanden' by force of law. No any action is required for this.

The same article says that also the following persons can become 'Prins (Prinses) der Nederlanden' but only after the issue of a Royal Decree:
a) the spouse of the King
b) the children of the King
c) the spouse of the Heir
d) the children of the Heir
e) persons who are in the direct line of succession to the King (for an example the children of Princess Catharina-Amalia) and their spouses

So it does require a Royal Decree to make the second spouse of Queen Beatrix the Prins der Nederlanden. But it would be very illogical that this person would be treated differently that the spouses to Queen Wilhelmina, Queen Juliana and the first spouse to Queen Beatrix.

I have a question regarding Queen Beatrix' reign. Since her mother Juliana abdicated, can we expect that Beatrix will abdicate too? Is it kind of a habit in the Dutch Royal House that the monarch will decide when to pass on to the heir or did Juliana abdicate for health or other reasons?

In other monarchies, eg Britain, it's unthinkable that the monarch retires before death.

Thanks for enlighten me :)

I have a question regarding Queen Beatrix' reign. Since her mother Juliana abdicated, can we expect that Beatrix will abdicate too? Is it kind of a habit in the Dutch Royal House that the monarch will decide when to pass on to the heir or did Juliana abdicate for health or other reasons?

In other monarchies, eg Britain, it's unthinkable that the monarch retires before death.

Thanks for enlighten me :)

Your Grace,...

Not only her mother,but also her grandmother Queen Wilhelmina abdicated,in 1948.As she saw it,she thus followed the example of the Emperor Charles V,whom she admired greatly,(and had abdicated in favour of that miser of a son,Philip II).

It is all up to HM herself to decide if and when,or at all.She will surely give Alexander and Máxima more time to spend with the children and enjoy family life a while longer,even though both already have quite busy schedules ranging through many fields.

We will have to wait,hopefully for a long time,and see what HM decision will be.All is speculation,only HM knows.

Your Grace,...

Not only her mother,but also her grandmother Queen Wilhelmina abdicated,in 1948.As she saw it,she thus followed the example of the Emperor Charles V,whom she admired greatly,(and had abdicated in favour of that miser of a son,Philip II).

It is all up to HM herself to decide if and when,or at all.She will surely give Alexander and Máxima more time to spend with the children and enjoy family life a while longer,even though both already have quite busy schedules ranging through many fields.

We will have to wait,hopefully for a long time,and see what HM decision will be.All is speculation,only HM knows.

Thanks Lucien, so I understand nobody would really be surprised if Beatrix abdicated one day as she only follows kind of a tradition, whilst people in Britain would think it's April Fool's Day if HM the Queen abdicated in favour of Prince Charles :rolleyes:

I think that people would be more surprised if she didn't abdicate at some point. Some people already wonder why she keeps 'working' after 65, while normal people retire. They sometimes have polls about an abdication and in recent years more and more people vote that the Queen should abdicate in the near future. I was shocked at first, but when you look at the reasons people give... far most of those voters vote in favour of an abdication because they wish HM some piece and quiet. But as Lucien says (and as the Prince of Orange said), only Beatrix knows.

I think that people would be more surprised if she didn't abdicate at some point. Some people already wonder why she keeps 'working' after 65, while normal people retire. They sometimes have polls about an abdication and in recent years more and more people vote that the Queen should abdicate in the near future. I was shocked at first, but when you look at the reasons people give... far most of those voters vote in favour of an abdication because they wish HM some piece and quiet. But as Lucien says (and as the Prince of Orange said), only Beatrix knows.

True dear Marengo,but HM feels/loves her work,and besides,in a time in which it becomes clearer that people will eventually work longer instead of enjoying a pension from age 65 or sooner,she will not rush off through the side doors but probably will set an example in this respect too
I think.

HM is all about "Duty" with a capital D,that is her main drive,that and the love for her country/people,and inspite the warm reasons people might give referring to an abdication,i think she will stil reign in 5 or more years from now.And,personally,I think this "abdication talk" can come across as a "little" ungratefull in regard to all her hard work over the decades.just mho.:)

I cannot see the queen remarrying because she was so devoted and loved her late husband the prince.In royalty it is about service and duty to the monarchy.Her Majesty has to decide on rather she will abdicate or hold her postion for life the queen is the only one who will know this outcome.

Were Queen Juliana and her daughter Beatrix able to travel in same mode of transportation, such as automobile or airplane, or was this discouraged because in case of an accident, both monarch and heiress would be gone?

Don't forget that when Beatrix was young (under 18) there were three other sisters who were still eligible to be the next heir. Eventually Irene and Cristina lost their place in the line of succession, but Margriet was still eligible. If both Juliana and Beatrix were gone there would still be an heir to the Dutch throne.

It depends if they have a similar protocol as the British do.

In the UK, the queen can not travel with her direct heir, Charles. It doesn't apply further it seems, as Charles has flown with his sons, and Will with his. Despite the fact that Elizabeth has three other children and now countless grandchildren, great grandchildren and several hundred other heirs.

If the same applied with the DRF, despite her other daughters, Juliana could not travel with Bea. Did Bea ever fly with WA, or has he with his daughters since he became king? There in may lie the answer.

Queen Beatrix did fly very often with her son. The Prince usually used the opportunity to make the compulsory hours to keep his license as an airline pilot: picture

Well that seems the clear answer: the Dutch don't have protocol between the monarch and heir traveling together.

When the royal family came back from Canada on August 2nd 1945 they did so in two planes: Beatrix and Irene in one plane and Juliana and Margriet in another. Air travel was still considered risky in those days. That is the only instance I can think of where it was mentioned that the RF travelled apart for security reasons.

At the moment there are more than enough people in line of succession to safeguard the throne in case of a tragedy. When the throne depended on 1 person in the 20-ties and 30-ties there were one or two safety measures: Queen Wilhelmina didn't allow her daughter to go away on long trips, especially not to the Dutch East Indies as Juliana had wanted. The car accident of Queen Astrid of Belgium came as a big shock to Queen Wilhelmina (she had a soft spot for King Leopold III); the plans for such a trip were shelved on Queen Wilhelmina's orders. Apart from the travel the Queen mainly was worried about tropical diseases that could harm her 'dearly beloved child'.

Last edited:
Queen Beatrix did fly very often with her son. The Prince usually used the opportunity to make the compulsory hours to keep his license as an airline pilot: picture

Going off topic, but does the King still have the opportunity to fly or has he had to give that up since his ascension?

Since Beatrix abdicated as the Queen Regnant, does she celebrate her birthday privately or is there a public festivity for her?

Back
Top Bottom