Prince Albert's Older Children Part 1: 2009 - 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for the summary of what he said. Unfortunately, he is incorrect about the Monegasque legal definition of (il)legitimacy - see the citations in my previous post.

To be fair, I don't think Alexandre was really suggesting a "legal" case under Monegasque law, just sharing his view of things.

I suppose that it *could* be an interesting angle for him to pursue, if he wants to be legitimized and recognized as the heir in the future. Based on this interview, he's a serious (and religious) young man who wants to maintain a sense of decorum relative to his father's office, who is studying business, and who is somewhat interested in working for his father in the future. (He mentions that his older maternal half-brothers work for their fathers, and he hasn't ruled out working with Albert.)

Albert is now 65, his heir apparent is only eight, and his wife/mother of heir has recurring problems of some kind that would seem to limit her ability to serve as regent. If Alexandre turns out to be as mature and capable as he seems in this interview, it's not impossible to imagine him as regent -- or even as heir, if Albert wanted to go in that direction.

To be fair, I don't think Alexandre was really suggesting a "legal" case under Monegasque law, just sharing his view of things.

I suppose that it *could* be an interesting angle for him to pursue, if he wants to be legitimized and recognized as the heir in the future. Based on this interview, he's a serious (and religious) young man who wants to maintain a sense of decorum relative to his father's office, who is studying business, and who is somewhat interested in working for his father in the future. (He mentions that his older maternal half-brothers work for their fathers, and he hasn't ruled out working with Albert.)

Albert is now 65, his heir apparent is only eight, and his wife/mother of heir has recurring problems of some kind that would seem to limit her ability to serve as regent. If Alexandre turns out to be as mature and capable as he seems in this interview, it's not impossible to imagine him as regent -- or even as heir, if Albert wanted to go in that direction.

For Alexandre to become the heir, Albert would need to divorce Charlene and marry Nicole Coste (Alexandre's mother) - or the rules need to be changed. He is not a product of adultery which would permanently exclude him from the line of succession (like Jazmin) but that doesn't make him legitimate either.

If he was acknowledged from birth why was he never given any title or included in the succession? And why has he never attended any official events with his father and the rest of the family? There does not appear to be a close relationship with any of Albert's nephews ​​or "legitimate" children. It seems to me that Albert never really included his illegitimate children in his family, they were entirely raised by their mothers financed by him.

Children born outside of wedlock have no Succession rights in Monaco.

Alexandre is Princess Stephanie's godson and attended the wedding of her son Louis, so I am not sure it's true that he has no relationship with his cousins within the Princely family.

My question is regarding Nicole...she has children from a previous marriage but you never hear or read about them. It's as if Alexandre, her self described "gift from God, " is her only child.

Does he have any relationship at all with his never mentioned siblings?

Last edited:

Alexandre is Princess Stephanie's godson and attended the wedding of her son Louis, so I am not sure it's true that he has no relationship with his cousins within the Princely family.

My question is regarding Nicole...she has children from a previous marriage but you never hear or read about them. It's as if Alexandre, her self described "gift from God, " is her only child.

I didn't know that she had other children. How many children does she have?

In the interview he states very strongly that he is very close to his elder brothers and his sister Yasmin. Obviously his brothers have no interest in being in the spotlight and I quite understand this !

I didn't know that she had other children. How many children does she have?
Three boys.

Last edited by a moderator:

Albert's own grandmother was the illegitimate -- and later adopted -- daughter of Louis II, so there is precedent for putting illegitimate lines into the succession.

I agree that it seems unlikely, but things happen...

I wish I could understand French, I'd love to read this. Could any French speakers on the thread post any interesting info? Thank you.

Just place the mouse over the site, right click and scroll down to select translate to English.
In the browser I use, Edge, it shows me a prompt to translate the page automatically.

Albert's own grandmother was the illegitimate -- and later adopted -- daughter of Louis II, so there is precedent for putting illegitimate lines into the succession.

I recall at the time the reasons to legitimize the princess were to save Monaco from either being taken by another family branch or absorbed into France. That said, Albert's grandmother is 50% of the reason why the Grimaldi women are so beautiful (the other 50% is Grace Kelly), they look like Rainier's mother just like the Windsors ladies inherited their looks after Queen Mary's. Strong lady genes on both families.

I assume that the Monaco government, Albert and his sister Caroline had all this sorted out when the scandal of the kids broke years ago. Caroline was the crown princess until her twin nephews from Albert and Charlene were born. If something happened to Albert Caroline would be in charge of both business and government. I recall when Rainier passed away and the fortune was divided between the three of them, Caroline was placed in charge of their sister Stephanie to look after her estate since it was a time her life decisions were a bit questionable.

And at that time Caroline showed nerves of steel too. Her husband Ernest was either hospitalized or in comma during the days of Rainier's passing, and Albert went into some dangerous mountain climbing expedition in those days leaving Caroline in charge of her family, Ernest's kids, her sister, being the crown princess and first lady/regent of Monaco, etc. She's a leader.

That's my guess this is all set already and Caroline, not Charlene, will be in charge of Monaco and her nephews. Just imagine the drama if that happened! :ohmy:

I assume that the Monaco government, Albert and his sister Caroline had all this sorted out when the scandal of the kids broke years ago. Caroline was the crown princess until her twin nephews from Albert and Charlene were born. If something happened to Albert Caroline would be in charge of both business and government. I recall when Rainier passed away and the fortune was divided between the three of them, Caroline was placed in charge of their sister Stephanie to look after her estate since it was a time her life decisions were a bit questionable.

And at that time Caroline showed nerves of steel too. Her husband Ernest was either hospitalized or in comma during the days of Rainier's passing, and Albert went into some dangerous mountain climbing expedition in those days leaving Caroline in charge of her family, Ernest's kids, her sister, being the crown princess and first lady/regent of Monaco, etc. She's a leader.

That's my guess this is all set already and Caroline, not Charlene, will be in charge of Monaco and her nephews. Just imagine the drama if that happened! :ohmy:
I’m pretty sure Ernst’s kids were living with their mum as they partly went to school in London. I don’t think we should doubt Charlene’s abilities. But Caroline is capable.

Rainier changed that law and the reason Antoinette despite being illegitimate ascended the throne was because the French government interfered in the successful to prevent a German descendant of the family from ascending the throne.

I suppose that it *could* be an interesting angle for him to pursue, if he wants to be legitimized and recognized as the heir in the future. Based on this interview, he's a serious (and religious) young man who wants to maintain a sense of decorum relative to his father's office, who is studying business, and who is somewhat interested in working for his father in the future. (He mentions that his older maternal half-brothers work for their fathers, and he hasn't ruled out working with Albert.(quote)

I agree that Alexandre isn't suggesting a "legal" case (as was the case in Belgium). He just wanted to point out that his father admitted his parenthood and has filled his obligations in terms of money and meetings.

Coming back to Delphine of Belgium. She has a very long history of battling the courts in Belgium. It took years to get what she wanted. You need a very strong will and amibition to get such a case through.
I am not a friend of Delphine, she is an attention seeker. The only thing I can understand that she wanted to be acknowledged as his child and consequently is getting her rightful inheritance. Although she always said it wasn't about the money I am very sure it certainly was about money. She could have won her case be satisfied that Albert finally , after a long and painful court procedure, had to admit that she is his daughter.
But coming out of nowhere and taking part in some random official events just seems strange to me.

When it comes to royals with their very strict inheritance rules a child born out of wedlook will always be the "outsider", not really a nice position for those children. No wonder

Interesting to learn that Alexandre's older half brothers are working for Albert. is that really true? I never read anything about that. That he himself would like to get a position in Albert's business i can understand but what have his half brothers from a former marriage of Nicole to do with Albert?

Interesting to learn that Alexandre's older half brothers are working for Albert. is that really true? I never read anything about that. That he himself would like to get a position in Albert's business i can understand but what have his half brothers from a former marriage of Nicole to do with Albert?

Alexandre said his brothers are working for their own fathers, not his father.

Wow, I had no idea that Jaques could EVER be contested as heir! Is that really possible?

I agree that Caroline seems like a very intelligent, capable, and strong person, but I'd point out that she's older than Albert, and she is not the automatic regent under the law.

Under Article 11 of the Monaco constitution, if the sovereign prince is unable to rule, the House Laws govern who would hold a regency.

In Article 6 of the House Laws, it says that if the prince is incapacitated and his heir is underage, the prince's spouse becomes the regent. If the prince has no spouse, it goes to the next person of age in the succession who is a Monegasque citizen.

It goes on to say that if the prince dies and his heir is a minor, the spouse of the deceased prince who has custody of the child becomes regent. If there is no surviving parent, it goes to the next person of age in the succession who is a Monegasque citizen.

So, it would go first to Charlene, then to Caroline.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see that amended, given Charlene's personal difficulties. While Caroline is an obvious choice as backup, given her age, they need to look at what younger people are available. Would it be preferable for Albert to have Alexandre serve as regent, rather than Andrea Casiraghi? Who knows?

Wow, I had no idea that Jaques could EVER be contested as heir! Is that really possible?

In theory, if Albert legitimized Alexandre, he would be Albert's oldest legitimate son, so he would be the heir.

I suppose Albert could adopt him (as Louis II did with Albert's grandmother) or, if Charlene were out of the picture, marry Alexandre's mother. Or, maybe he could do it some other way.

It all seems farfetched, but there is some precedent. Stranger things have happened.

In theory, if Albert legitimized Alexandre, he would be Albert's oldest legitimate son, so he would be the heir.

I suppose Albert could adopt him (as Louis II did with Albert's grandmother) or, if Charlene were out of the picture, marry Alexandre's mother. Or, maybe he could do it some other way.

It all seems farfetched, but there is some precedent. Stranger things have happened.

Albert seemed over the moon when the twins were born and was quick to proclaim Jacques as Crown Prince. I can’t imagine him ever taking that away from him.

Pigs will fly before Albert disinherits Jacques in favor of Alexandre.

Last edited:

The law was changed on that. Yes there was a precedent, but the law was changed by Rainier.

I agree that Caroline seems like a very intelligent, capable, and strong person, but I'd point out that she's older than Albert, and she is not the automatic regent under the law.

Under Article 11 of the Monaco constitution, if the sovereign prince is unable to rule, the House Laws govern who would hold a regency.

In Article 6 of the House Laws, it says that if the prince is incapacitated and his heir is underage, the prince's spouse becomes the regent. If the prince has no spouse, it goes to the next person of age in the succession who is a Monegasque citizen.

It goes on to say that if the prince dies and his heir is a minor, the spouse of the deceased prince who has custody of the child becomes regent. If there is no surviving parent, it goes to the next person of age in the succession who is a Monegasque citizen.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see that amended, given Charlene's personal difficulties. While Caroline is an obvious choice as backup, given her age, they need to look at what younger people are available. Would it be preferable for Albert to have Alexandre serve as regent, rather than Andrea Casiraghi? Who knows?
What reason would have to consider Alexandre to be regent at any point? I’m sure other than Andrea, there’s Pierre and Charlotte and I’m quite sure some capable people

Thank you very much for linking to the legal texts.

Prince Albert II replaced the 2002 house law (the text on Heraldica) in 2015, but many of the stipulations of the 2002 house law were carried over to the new house law in 2015, including regency by consorts.

https://journaldemonaco.gouv.mc/Jou...2015-portant-statuts-de-la-Famille-Souveraine

He has made several minor amendments to the house law since then, but not to the rules of regency.

It's only my personal feeling but I think that Nicole Coste has big ambitions for her son and wants him to be prominent in Monaco. I don't think she fully accepts that because Alex was born out of wedlock he will always be in the background. I also think that if his marriage ever ended she would try and reconcile with Albert like a shot. Jazmin's mother lives a completely private life and seems to have no desire to interfere in the Principality but Nicole can't stay away, she even turned up at the Red Cross ball this year. She's never with another man either, even after all these years, and I'm sure Charlene finds her presence disconcerting at the very least, any wife would.

It's only my personal feeling but I think that Nicole Coste has big ambitions for her son and wants him to be prominent in Monaco. I don't think she fully accepts that because Alex was born out of wedlock he will always be in the background. I also think that if his marriage ever ended she would try and reconcile with Albert like a shot. Jazmin's mother lives a completely private life and seems to have no desire to interfere in the Principality but Nicole can't stay away, she even turned up at the Red Cross ball this year. She's never with another man either, even after all these years, and I'm sure Charlene finds her presence disconcerting at the very least, any wife would.
You’re not wrong. I mean ever since her fashion business in Knightsbridge closed a while ago (that Albert funded and paid the debts), she’s always trying to be “out there”

I recall at the time the reasons to legitimize the princess were to save Monaco from either being taken by another family branch or absorbed into France.

The law was changed on that. Yes there was a precedent, but the law was changed by Rainier.

Just a clarification: The house laws and constitution prior to 2002 permitted the sovereign prince to adopt heirs, but the laws did not legitimate a prince's adoptive children. Even before 2002, adoptive children were still illegitimate and any legitimate siblings they had took precedence over them in the line of succession to the throne.

For example, between 1918 and 2002, the house law (see the Heraldica link shared by kalnel) stated:

Article 2

Le Prince Régnant, s'Il n'a pas de descendants et le Prince Héréditaire, s'Il se trouve dans le même cas et s'Il est autorisé par le Prince Régnant, peuvent adopter un enfant faisant partie de la Famille Souveraine ou même Lui étant étranger.

Les conditions et les formes de l'adoption seront réglées par une ordonnance souveraine.

L'enfant adoptif succède de plein droit à tous les droits, titres et prérogatives du Prince qui l'a adopté, et spécialement à ses droits à la Couronne.

Toutefois, si postérieurement à l'adoption, une postérité légitime survient au Prince adoptant, les enfants adoptifs ne pourront être appelés à lui succéder qu'après ses descendants légitimes.​

Last edited:
I wonder what Alexandre's status would be if Albert legitimized him. As he would be Albert's oldest legitimate son, I imagine he would take precedence over the twins.

(I've always found the idea of someone adopting their biological child odd anyway.)

And, I should reiterate that this seems very unlikely to me!

What reason would have to consider Alexandre to be regent at any point? I’m sure other than Andrea, there’s Pierre and Charlotte and I’m quite sure some capable people

Why not? Alexandre is Albert's biological son, so maybe he would prefer him as a regent over this nephews and niece.

I'm not pushing the idea or suggesting that anyone isn't fit to serve, just thinking about roles Alexandre might have in the future.

I totally agree with your thoughts about the situation. And we don't know what has been happening in the background during the time when poor charlene was so ill.
However, I am quite sure that Albert would always put his son Jacques into the first line. In case of a situation where he would prematurely die and Jacques would be too young, I think that Caroline and/or her eldest son Andrea would be regent until Jacques is old enough.

Therefore I don't think that Alexandre has a chance although his mother might have ambitions.

However, I am quite sure that Albert would always put his son Jacques into the first line. In case of a situation where he would prematurely die and Jacques would be too young, I think that Caroline and/or her eldest son Andrea would be regent until Jacques is old enough.

As kalnel mentioned, the Family Law stipulates that the regency will pass to Princess Charlene if Prince Albert II dies before Hereditary Prince Jacques is of age.

Article 4. [...] Si le Prince Héréditaire est mineur au moment du décès ou de l’abdication du Prince Régnant, la régence est, dans le premier cas, exercée par le conjoint du Prince défunt ou, à défaut, par l’héritier majeur le plus proche de Lui dans l’ordre successoral et, dans le second cas, par l’héritier majeur le plus proche du Prince ayant abdiqué dans l’ordre successoral. [...]

(Article 4. [...] If the Hereditary Prince is a minor at the moment of the death or abdication of the Reigning Prince, the regency is, in the first case, exercised by the spouse of the deceased Prince or, in default thereof, by the adult heir closest to Him in the order of succession, and, in the second case, by the adult heir closest to the abdicated Prince in the order of succession. [...])​

Granted, Prince Albert II can amend his house law whenever he wishes, but thus far he has chosen to leave his current arrangements in place despite his wife's public difficulties.

Andrea Casiraghi is not in line for the regency because he is no longer in line to the throne. According to an interview with Prince Albert II, his nephews did not seek his permission to marry:

Albert said in the book about him that his nephews did not ask him is they could marry, He said they asked him advices not else,
In the constitution if a member of the officialy family would marry without the permission of the sovereign, he would lost his place in the line of sucession

Under article 24 of the house law, marrying without the legal permission of the Sovereign expressed by a Sovereign Decision excludes them from the line of succession to the throne (which is typical in European monarchies):

Art. 24. Sans préjudice des dispositions de l’article 21, le mariage d’un membre de la Famille Souveraine contracté sans l’autorisation du Prince Régnant emporte exclusion de l’ordre successoral, tant pour celui qui a contracté ce mariage que pour ses descendants. [...] L’autorisation prescrite en vertu du premier alinéa est délivrée par Décision Souveraine.)

(Art. 24. Without prejudice to the provisions of article 21, the marriage of a member of the Sovereign Family contracted without the authorization of the Reigning Prince excludes the one who contracted the marriage from the order of succession as well as his or her descendants. [...] The authorization according to the first paragraph is issued by Sovereign Decision.)​

https://journaldemonaco.gouv.mc/Jou...2015-portant-statuts-de-la-Famille-Souveraine

Last edited:
Under article 24 of the house law, marrying without the legal permission of the Sovereign expressed by a Sovereign Decision excludes them from the line of succession to the throne (which is typical in European monarchies): (quote)

It is new to me that Monaco had such rules. In that case Caroline having married her first husband Philippe Junot which I remember was against the will of her parents, should have been excluded from the one of succession. I never heard of this. In that case Stephanie who married without consent of her parents would be excluded.
I always thought that Caroline's legitimate children, Andrea, Charlotte and Pierre would be the next in the line of succession.

But do we really know for sure if Caroline got permission to marry Stefano and after his death Ernst August of Hanover?

Princess Charlene is a wonderful mother but gives the impression of emotional frailty and little interest in the function of the government or the history of the Principality. Note her absence from Albert's side when he undertook a tour of Grimaldi historical places in connection with the centenary of Rainier III earlier this summer. She has also yet to demonstrate that she even has a good grasp of spoken French.

How in the world is she going to function as Regent if-God forbid- she is called upon to do so??

As for Nicole Coste, it's been fairly obvious since Albert married Charlene that she intends to remain a "presence" in the Principality with or without Alexandre and so much the better if it rattles Albert's wife.

There was no reason for Nicole to accompany her bright, sensitive ADULT son to that PdV interview.:ermm:

Last edited:
Whatever else Albert may be, he's never shown any signs of being unintelligent or irrational. I'm sure he knows that not only would having Charlene as Regent make little sense, Charlene almost certainly does not want to be in that position, and Albert has no intention of forcing her to in the event of a tragedy.

My best guess is there is a private stipulation specifying alternate arrangements (perhaps even with Charlene as regent-in-name-only), but given Charlene's health issues and the constant marriage speculation, Albert's chosen not to make it public to avoid feeding the media circus.

Under article 24 of the house law, marrying without the legal permission of the Sovereign expressed by a Sovereign Decision excludes them from the line of succession to the throne (which is typical in European monarchies):

It is new to me that Monaco had such rules.

You may verify the rule for yourself. I provided a link to the Journal de Monaco, the official gazette of the Monegasque government, with the text of the house law as it was enacted in 2015. Here is the link again.

In that case Caroline having married her first husband Philippe Junot which I remember was against the will of her parents, should have been excluded from the one of succession. I never heard of this. In that case Stephanie who married without consent of her parents would be excluded.

As mentioned above, the current house law was promulgated in 2015. But the same rule was indeed in place when they married, as it was included in the previous house law. Before 2015, it read:

https://www.heraldica.org/topics/national/monaco.htm#house_laws

Aucun Membre de la Famille Souveraine ne peut se marier sans l'autorisation du Prince régnant. Le mariage contracté sans cette autorisation emporte privation de tout droit à la Couronne, tant pour celui qui a contracté ce mariage que pour ses descendants.

Néanmoins, en cas de dissolution du mariage et en l'absence d'enfant issu de ce dernier, l'héritier qui l'aurait contracté recouvrera son droit à la Couronne si aucune succession n'est intervenue entretemps.​

Translation:

No member of the Sovereign Family can marry without the authorization of the reigning Prince. A marriage contracted without such authorization results in a loss of all rights to the Crown for the individual who contracted the marriage as well as for his descendants.

However, in case of dissolution of the marriage and in the absence of any issue from it, the heir who had contracted that marriage shall recover his right to the Crown if no succession took place in the meantime.​

I personally do not know whether Princess Caroline and Princess Stéphanie obtained the then Reigning Prince's legal authorization for each of their marriages. If you have a source indicating whether they married with or without (official) permission, could you please share it?

We can assume that Princess Caroline is currently in line to the throne: She was referred to by the Palace as Hereditary Princess for the first few years of her brother's reign. Therefore, she must have obtained permission for at least her marriages to Stefano Casiraghi and Ernst August von Hannover.

It is possible that she could have married Philippe Junot without permission: see the stipulation in the rule (quoted above) that succession rights are restored upon divorce if there are no chidren from the marriage. However, I have no idea if that was the case.

I always thought that Caroline's legitimate children, Andrea, Charlotte and Pierre would be the next in the line of succession.

Not since they married without seeking permission (assuming that was indeed what the interview with Prince Albert II said and there was no mistranslation).

God forbid that something happened to Princess Charlene and Albert married Nicole Coste, would Jaques still be Crown Prince?

God forbid that something happened to Princess Charlene and Albert married Nicole Coste, would Jaques still be Crown Prince?

Monaco is one of many European countries where the civil law (in this case, article 226 of the Monegasque Civil Code) allows children born out of wedlock to be legitimated if their parents subsequently marry. (Some other European countries have gone a step further and fully abolished the concept of legitimacy and illegitimacy.) Theoretically, then, Alexandre could become the eldest legitimate son in that scenario and thus crown prince. However, Prince Albert II exercises much greater personal power over the line of succession compared to most other monarchs in Europe.

The 2015 house law includes an article empowering him to unilaterally cut anyone out of the line of succession if they fail to carry out their duties:

Art. 21. Le Prince Régnant a pleine autorité sur les membres de la Famille Souveraine. Ainsi, en cas de manquement de l’un d’entre eux aux devoirs de son état, Il peut lui retirer la qualité de membre de la Famille Souveraine et l’exclure de l’ordre successoral, sans préjudice d’autres conséquences de droit.

(Article 21. The Reigning Prince has full authority over the members of the Sovereign Family. Therefore, in the event that one of them neglects the duties of their position, He may remove from him the status of member of the Sovereign Family and exclude him from the order of succession, without prejudice to other legal consequences.)

So in practice, if Prince Albert II wished to marry Nicole Coste without displacing Jacques as crown prince, I suppose he would simply insert another new rule into his House Law giving himself the right to exclude anyone from the order of succession for pragmatic reasons, or a new rule stating that for the purposes of the succession to the throne, only children born in wedlock will be deemed legitimate, or something along those lines.

Monaco is one of many European countries where the civil law (in this case, article 226 of the Monegasque Civil Code) allows children born out of wedlock to be legitimated if their parents subsequently marry. (Some other European countries have gone a step further and fully abolished the concept of legitimacy and illegitimacy.) Theoretically, then, Alexandre could become the eldest legitimate son in that scenario and thus crown prince. However, Prince Albert II exercises much greater personal power over the line of succession compared to most other monarchs in Europe.

The 2015 house law includes an article empowering him to unilaterally cut anyone out of the line of succession if they fail to carry out their duties:

Art. 21. Le Prince Régnant a pleine autorité sur les membres de la Famille Souveraine. Ainsi, en cas de manquement de l’un d’entre eux aux devoirs de son état, Il peut lui retirer la qualité de membre de la Famille Souveraine et l’exclure de l’ordre successoral, sans préjudice d’autres conséquences de droit.

(Article 21. The Reigning Prince has full authority over the members of the Sovereign Family. Therefore, in the event that one of them neglects the duties of their position, He may remove from him the status of member of the Sovereign Family and exclude him from the order of succession, without prejudice to other legal consequences.)

So in practice, if Prince Albert II wished to marry Nicole Coste without displacing Jacques as crown prince, I suppose he would simply insert another new rule into his House Law giving himself the right to exclude anyone from the order of succession for pragmatic reasons, or a new rule stating that for the purposes of the succession to the throne, only children born in wedlock will be deemed legitimate, or something along those lines.

It seems very confusing but I hope the existing Princely family stay together anyway so there is no confusion at all going forwards

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom