Worst Royal Jewels 2

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When it comes to the "bib" necklaces, it makes me a true believer in "less is more" adage.

I think tiaras are dreadfully old fashioned anyway. They belong in museums, not on people's heads.

Astrid's wings are pretty awful. But in general I don't think she wears tiaras well. IMO she pushes them too far to the back of her head and at an angle, and then she usually pairs them with ugly (and very large) glasses. Tiaras don't seem to look good when worn with glasses (although I've seen Queen Elizabeth II wear them together... what are you going to do, you need to see!).

True, true, true. One must see--isn't there a pic of some lady wearing sunglasses with a tiara? She had a blonde updo? It was hilarious!

I think tiaras are dreadfully old fashioned anyway. They belong in museums, not on people's heads.

:crown::crown2::crown6::crown5::crown7::crown8:

Old-fashioned? Museum? Yikes and Egads! I do believe you are
in the wrong place. But, Margrethe's poppies--yes, put them in a museum--please. Get them away from her.

Then I am awfully fond of this kind of old fashioned. Can I have some more, please? :ROFLMAO: But I agree about the museums. Tiaras should be put there, when not worn. Much better than dark and secretive vaults! Though I wouldn't rush to a museum just because it displays something like the golden poppies or the star wars fence!

True, true, true. One must see--isn't there a pic of some lady wearing sunglasses with a tiara? She had a blonde updo? It was hilarious!

OOH I remember that occasion....it was just the best...so euro-trashy! I think it was one of the Savoy Princesses! I shall go and have a rummage and see what I can unearth!!!! Thinking about it I am sure the culprit was Marina Doria, Princess of Naples!!!! But I have to have a good rootle around to be sure.....we must find that photograph!!!!!

What on Earth are you all talking about, all I read is bantering.

This is the worst Royal Jewel Thread, show us some photos of the worst Royal Jewels, Please, or refrain until you can or are able to do so!

Post it or zip it- what on Earth are you all talking about, all I read is bantering.

This is the worst Royal Jewel Thread, show us some photos of the worst Royal Jewels, Please, or refrain until you can or are able to do so!

I am desperately foraging for the picture of the sunglasses and tiara together! But I must say that the Princess in question (Marina Doria I am sure of it) was actually wearing a lovely tiara in the picture so the jewels do not really count as eligible for the 'worst jewel thread' - but the combination does IMHO as a horrific collapse in the style stakes! I will keep persevering in my quest to find a picture! By the way there is no harm in suggesting that others may like to help in this quest to find a picture...I think google 'with sunglasses, tiara, savoy, Marina Doria' may be a good starting point for anyone who would like to contribute some assistance to the hunt!!!!!

Post it or zip it- what on Earth are you all talking about, all I read is bantering.

No need for rudeness, Patra. You can generally go back through the thread and find what is being discussed. An aspect of TRF that I greatly appreciate is that civility amongst its members is encouraged--perhaps a better way for you to request a photograph of the scenario in question would have been to simply ask rather than saying "Post it or zip it....refrain until you can or are able to do so". As you are not a moderator, it is not within your realm to suggest that members not post unless they have photos. Part of the fun is the description. Within this thread, and all others for that matter, you will find that members will post a description of a person, item of jewelry, etc.. but cannot find a photo or post a photo and other, more savvy posters or someone with the link will come along and oblige the request.

I am desperately foraging for the picture of the sunglasses and tiara together! But I must say that the Princess in question (Marina Doria I am sure of it) was actually wearing a lovely tiara in the picture so the jewels do not really count as eligible for the 'worst jewel thread' - but the combination does IMHO as a horrific collapse in the style stakes! I will keep persevering in my quest to find a picture! By the way there is no harm in suggesting that others may like to help in this quest to find a picture...I think google 'with sunglasses, tiara, savoy, Marina Doria' may be a good starting point for anyone who would like to contribute some assistance to the hunt!!!!!

My Dear New Friend Connie Cutmantle--
I have found it--it is small, it is contained on another website--but you were correct it--it is Maria Doria from the Danish Royal Wedding 2004-halfway down.
Royal Jewels of the World: My favorite tiara

http://www.hola.com/casasreales/2004/05/14/dinamarca_joyas5/imgs/saboyab.jpg

Enjoy!!! It's hilarious--

Well said, jcbc, and you are so correct in saying that someone will come along... ! Somehow one always does! That's what makes this fun. :)

Sorry but I don't see sun glasses but rather a pair of regular glasses slightly tinted dark. I think she was trying to match her frames.... :)

Oh Jcbc you angel for being clever enough to find the very one!!!! I admit Udyusa the glasses do look a bit more regular than as I remembered....but the combo does look a little odd!

And Jcbc thank you too for your input pertaining to civility....I am a seasoned forum poster....but as a new member here I did not feel able to respond as I would have liked! Anyway I think that the re-discovery of the photo has just highlighted the point that joint efforts can lead to results, rather than simply popping in to be entertained and not making positive contributions.

Once again cheers:flowers:

Sacre bleu!:eek: I never thought I'd hear such vile talk in a glorious place like TRF. :cry:I suggest you take other peoples emotions and feelings into account before you go posting such blasphemous wordvomit willy nilly across these boards. ;):D:ermm::p

Ah, the classic "Maria Doria" look. Nothing like historical priceless jewels to bring out your sunglasses. As for the poppies, agreed, they should go to a museam or be set adrift in the North Sea in honour all of those brave minions forever scared by the sight of them.

QEII has some rather horrid dangly pieces she likes to nuzzle around her neck. They could do with a good chopping up and rebuilding. The Dagmar and Saudi sets would make lovely brooches, braclets, earrings, and etc...

P.S. After years, on and off, on these boards. Ive finally discovered the smily face app. O and welcome Connie, your a treat!

Last edited:
Oh Lighthouse how can you be so harsh and cruel!:eek::eek::eek:

As a fully paid up (well outed actually via my own volition) tiaraholic...I can think of no worse purgatory than not seeing tiaras on heads where they belong! I think I'd have to check in for detox if that ever happened! but Tilla C. did make a good point about us minions being at least able to go and see them in real life if they were in museums when not being worn rather than moldering in some air controlled vault! One would just scuttle passed the horrors and make the children turn away at the crucial moment if a horror was on display! Then again, perhaps the Poppies Horror and maybe Princess Astrid's Wing thingy could, as Princejohnny suggest be consigned to the North Sea in some Pagan type Viking Pyre affair! If only........!

Anyway, I so agree about that hideous suadi ruby necklace that QEII insists upon inflicting on the public....it is vile! OTT and without any real imaginative style to it - basically it is just urrrgh. Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

I must say though that it is the yellow gold and ruby horror cum neck thing that I can not abide...I will hunt down a picture eventually I promise!

AHHHHHHHHHhhhh!!! I woke up and clicked a link and it was the Saudi ruby necklace--not something you want to wake up to!
Which yellow gold and ruby horror neck thing?? The Saudi thing is horrible--and, I don't know how to say it gracefully, but it doesn't suit the neck of the wearer any longer--it's too high. It has lovely stones, but let's just set it aside and leave it alone---for a very, very long time. Perhaps it could could the poppies company in the North Sea???

Sorry not to able to provide a picture but the yellow gold and ruby necklace is simply revolting! I am still hunting but as HM does not appear to have worn it for quite a while I am beginning to wonder that she herself has perhaps realized just how hideous it is and has issued an order to buy up all the pictures,negatives,on disc etc where it features and burn the lot on a huge bonfire in the garden at Buckingham Palace!(IMHO it is that bad!!!!!!!) I am still hunting/rootling/snuffling about though!!!!

...it is Maria Doria from the Danish Royal Wedding 2004-halfway down.
jcbcode99, thank you for posting this picture. In my ignorance, I could not figure out WHAT you all were talking about. Yes, I agree it is horribly hilarious!

Last edited by a moderator:
As the fashion police have no legal constitutional position I think we should ignore (better still laugh at) the fascist media functionaries. Wear what you like, try to make sure it is aesthetic and of some quality. At least passe royals with their ancient tiaras etc. are not exploiting child labour in sweat shops as do most of cafe society and its embarrassing hangers on. Even the enigmatic Spanish royal family jewels have a cache that the Trumps of this world can only envy.

Last edited:
jcbcode99, thank you for posting this picture. In my ignorance, I could not figure out WHAT you all were talking about. Yes, I agree it is horribly hilarious!

Not ignorance, Patra! I know, it can get annoying when posters are discussing a hideous jewel (or something else) and you feel "out of the loop" without a picture reference. For years everyone talked about Munn's book on Tiaras-and I didn't have it. Once I was able to find one I immediately knew--and it was fantastic!

Patra...I am sorry....but I misunderstood your valid comment for a while....I am always a little slow off the mark! I do understand how frustrating it can be trying to fathom what people are talking about too....once again sorry!!!

Now don't be cross but Jcbc has asked about the yellow gold ruby necklace and I can not find a picture of it as yet! Oooops I made a mistake - it isn't rubies.....it's emeralds and I don't know why/how I had forgotten about the diamonds! Can't imagine why I thought the bead-like stones were red!?!?! Anyway I still loathe it......Here is a link:-

Queen elizabeth ii emerald necklace image by Bofferding on Photobucket

I always think this necklace looks like something from a nasty H Samuel/Ratner (uk) or Michael Hill (NZ) type high street jewelers - Those type of tat jewelry shops really make me cringe!
It looks awkward and untidy to me! I really like the idea of the knot and tassel motif but it just looks wrong and cheap and nasty to me in this effort at that concept - I just loathe it basically! :voodoo::voodoo::voodoo:The earrings are equally as 'wrong' too! Heavy on the lobes and ponderous! They remind me of those horrors QMII wears with her Gold Poppies monstrosity!!!!

I am under the impression that the dear little cabochon emeralds (The only redeeming features in this horrid set IMHO!) are either left overs from the Cambridge Emeralds or were they part of the sackful Queen Mary received during the trip over for the Durbar? Does anyone know their provenance - Warren perhaps?

Compared to the Queen's other Emerald jewels this lot are the pits for me....Goodness I do hope there isn't someone out there who really loves these pieces! Sorry if you do!

:previous: :ermm: That would be me! :D As you can see from my avatar I absolutely adore it and the rest of the goodies that go with it! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
:previous:Sorry Marg....I love,love,love emeralds but just not in the setting in the necklace and earring! :flowers:

I think the emeralds are wasted here! Love the tiara though!!!!!!!!!! Who wouldn't?:D

Those emeralds are not part of the Cambridge emeralds--that necklace (I call it a "tassle" necklace is another of my least favorite pieces of HM. In fact, ALL of her Saudi tassle necklace gifts I strongly dislike. I think they look cheap, like something you would have seen on an episode of Dynasty or in a Miss America Pageant.

Ah, the classic "Maria Doria" look. Nothing like historical priceless jewels to bring out your sunglasses.
Sometimes you guys are over-critical without thinking things through or taking into account the context. At the Danish Royal wedding (F&M) the royal guests arrived in buses and walked in a sort of procession into the church. Spectacles with photogrey lenses turn a darker shade outdoors to protect sensitive eyes against glare. Princess Marina of Savoy is wearing either these lenses or lightly-tinted sunglasses so that she doesn't get glared out. Why would anyone have a problem with that?

:previous:Warren I do take your point! I confess that when the tiara with sunglasses was brought up, I instantly recalled a vague memory of the picture in question and probably due to the amount of time that had passed since last laying eyes on it, the glasses seem to have metamorphosized in my mind's eye! This is a common phenomenon! As an example, lots of people are scared of spiders, and on occasion when one comes across one say in the bed and then later describes the said beastie to someone else, the describer will inevitably find themselves saying the spider was like a tarantula and the size of a dinner plate to boot, when in fact it was more likely the size of a regular 'huge' house spider....rationality tends to just go out the window when one is confronted by things by which one is shocked or of which was is scared! I hope this makes some sort of sense?

In my own defense, this is what happened with Maria Doria's glasses and tiara combo! Those grey tinted black framed spectacles had 'evolved' and become a pair of black tinted mafia a la Dame Edna Everage style sunnies :eek::eek: in my mind's eye!I did concede that in one of my later replies - although maybe not quite clearly enough...sorry! :flowers:

Yes there we are thank you Roslyn.....Goodness my heart went a flutter for a moment:eek::eek::eek:

I believe I said something to that effect in my post #252, Warren. I am just not able to say things as well as you. I Do try however.... :)

Back
Top Bottom