Worst Royal Jewels 1

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
definition of cameo

The best cameos are carved out of a single stone like agate that is naturally formed with different colored layers. The carver carves the head out of the top lighter layer leaving the darker underlayer smooth and intact.

Here are some modern cameo pendants made of agate. They are quite beautiful.

http://masterwiresculptor.com/cameo_agate_pendants.php

Well, I have to confess then that this tiara is probably the one I like best from the Swedish collection :D. I think it is quite unique and that Silvia wears it extremely well. She wore it at her wedding and while her wedding gown was very unflattering, her veil with this cameo tiara was just perfect IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I am not big on the cameo tiara or cameos in general but when someone photo shopped it onto Victoria's head it looked wonderful. I would love to see her wear it in real life.

Sorry, everyone. I think Queen Silvia's cameo tiara is one of the most beautiful ones out there. I find the gold and pearl combination very attractive and unusual.

Also, isn't there a really unique history behind this piece? Napoleonic era???

Amy, I can't see that image. Can you help me, please?

Last edited:
Mathilde looks just fine using this, but if it was put in my own neck, it should look as a dog collar. Not a very nice jewel...:(

Vanesa.

Thank You. I love this tiara, and it was the first that ever really caught my attention. It hails from the Napoleonic era, and is quite unique in Europe because of its size. No, cameos are not jewels, but it certainly is much more interesting than a few sapphires or rubies. I think that this tiara is incredibly dignified, and recalls the very history of the Bernadotte dynasty, which originated with one of Napoleon's generals. :)

The Cameo Tiara is also very important because it's the marriage tiara for the Swedish royal ladies (I'm pretty sure). It's tradition to wear it on your wedding day like Queen Silvia did. It might be for future Queens only but I'm not entirely sure.

Vanesa said:
Mathilde looks just fine using this, but if it was put in my own neck, it should look as a dog collar. :(

That choker is definitely not for the faint-hearted. On Mathilde it looks regal. She has the stlye, carriage and elan to carry it off. :cool:

On me, alas, woof woof! :D :eek: :D

Thank you Amy very much! I agree with you. This is very big for Mathildes neck. as a bracelet it will be great piece ;)

Yes mims I agree, I just think they're better jewels out there that would look fab on Mathilde instead of this one. It's a little too modern and overwhelming. I'd like to see something more classic on her like an antique pearl choker.

Last edited:
I think Princess Mathilde looks stunning in that modern choker she wore. She can certainly pull off antique and modern. ;)

Thank you Amy very much! I agree with you. This is very big for Mathildes neck. as a bracelet it will be great piece

I agree - It would have been lovely as a bracelet but as a choker it is too dramatic & overwhelming.

Princess Madeleine Aquamarine Bandeau Tiara
I actually like this tiara and thinks it looks good on her. I don't think she's going to need larger tiaras in her lifetime (outside of her wedding). I think the Netherlands has horrible jewelry across the board but Princess Maxima makes them look not quite so terrible. Queen Margarethe II's poppy thing is ugly, and a good example of "How much is too much?". Should Crown Princess Mary ever attempt to wear them, I hope she'll work them in a "less is more" fashion. They might look good on her.....in small doses. Or else divide it up among her children, grandchildren, nephews & nieces.

RubyPrincess168 said:
I actually like this tiara and thinks it looks good on her. I don't think she's going to need larger tiaras in her lifetime (outside of her wedding).

I actually adore this Tiara! But only on Madeleine! She is able to change the look of the entire thing from greek classical to avante garde, ringing the changes with hairstyle, complementary jewelery and dress style. No mean feat!:flowers:

Well, good members, I am somewhat surprised that somebody has not dredged up the pearl monstrosity belonging to the Duke of Westminster. He or his father had to sell the Westminster tiara with the Arcot diamonds in it for death duties. I cannot for the life of me figure out why they did not keep that fabulous contraption and sell the pearl miscarriage. The thing is a ruin of perfectly fabulous pearls and lovely diamonds.

If I knew how to post it I would be alas I am a computer mongoloid and cannot. As for Maxima and the aquamarine thing, she looks like an alien, albeit a gorgeous creature, from outer space. The Wurtemberg ruby tiara should be broken up and sold and the funds used for charity or to help pay the national debt.

As for the QMII infamous poppy concoction, I can only call it an act in infamy in the history of jewelry. It is a total shipwreck of anything approaching taste. How the good queen could have made such a howler is beyond me. But none of us are perfect. When the day comes, hopefully many years from now, when the glorious Mary is in a position to do so, I would suggest that she take a hammar and beat the thing into scrap metal and take it down to a gold and silver pawn shop and sell the thing-all nine parts of it.

As for the Australian Opal Gallstone horror. It looks like a fossilized crocodile or dropping or a freshly removed gall stone. The Good QEII in her wisdom has quietly and discreetly buried it. It should just stay buried. Maybe hauled out to one of Harry's halloween parties for laughs.

I agree with the writer above. Half of the stuff -or at least an awful lot of it- in the noble Mr. Munn's book is junk. Talk about ugly. That thing of Liz Taylors is the worst, along with all those American late 19th century monstrosities. Cheers. Thomas Parkman

Thomas, do you know if the Westminister tiara is in Mr. Munn's book? I can't exactly look it up at the moment since I'm at work. When I get home I will post some from the book.

RubyPrincess168 said:
THAT'S UGLY! That one can be left at the back of the jewel vaults for a century or two! Or at least break it up and use the diamonds for something else!

She has worn in one time. A few weeks ago there was a photo on the Royal-Jewels MB of her wearing ot as necklace.

The Wesminster tiara in your link Kerry, doesn't look that bad to me. The sides are a little too big but it might work with a different hairstyle to hide the sides like Diana used to wear (all poofy) her hair back in the old days. I do think it would look better as a necklace though.

Dear Kerry,

We will try again. I keep trying to send messages on this blasted computer and they keep saying I have not logged in. I log in-again- and then the thing goes haywire and it is all a mess. Everything crashes. Yesterday I logged on here six times. With my life what do you expect. Even the RF is contributing to my ongoing nervous break down. My wires are haywire to begin with and I am a computer mongoloid, but I am a sensitive computer mongoloid. Even people with an IQ of 4 have feelings you know. But I will try. You may call me Eyeore

Yes the Westminster Tiara is in MR. Munn's book. That book is a fabulous of mixture of the sublime, the beautiful, the ugly and the ridiculous. That is why I call him the prophet. That seems to be the way it is with every holy scripture no matter of what persuasion.

That picture of Liz Taylor with Richard Burton going to some party or other is almost the living end, but she has so much competition in the tacky, loud and expensive cheap department it is hard to say. All that late 19th century vulgar nouveau riche Amercian vulgarity really is more than just a bit much.

The Westminster tiara, and you will see the original version, has both Arcot diamonds and the Hastings diamond set in a kind of oriental fantasy bandeau. It is quite unusual and I think attractive. Particularly with those rocks in it.

Call them headlights, call them clunkers, call them what you will there is just nothing like a really big well faceted diamond. They are never vulgar, no matter what. Have you seen the picture of Queen Mary wearing her Cullinan headlights. Massive, Brazen, overwhelming. Then there is Liz Taylor wearing her 69 carat Cartier diamond at that uh-certain point on her person-utterly brazen but the diamond will take your breath away.

The Westminster tiara at some point was sold to Harry Winston for death duties. They took out the large stones and replace with them with smaller stones in a pattern and it is not nearly as interesting. Why in the world they did not sell that pearl and diamond horror instead I will never understand.

You are correct most noble RachelD, about the pearl miscarrage which you have dredged up from the lower depths. Have you ever seen such a waste of such gorgeous peals and such beautiful diamonds put to such sorry use in your life? The gems are wonderful. But the idiot who concocted that contraption should be boiled in rancid Canola oil and fed to the Australian Crockodiles. What on earth could the good D of W been thinking when he bought the thing. The Duchess was to wear it to a costume ball or Halloween Party at Windsor Castle????. Of course the good Duke does own the sublime Bagration tiara, now there is something else.

As for the Wurtemburg thinge, it has such a harmless ugliness about it that one almost finds charming. It is just the sort of thing that one would wear in the role of the good witch in Hansel and Gretel or as the Princess Pet on her ice cream planet if one were going to a young child's birthday party. Of course if you were to wear it as part of a costume in drag or to a Halloween party you would run the rish of being run down by on going traffic, plastered to death with Halloween candy or even hunted down and murdered in the street with beer bottles. Cheers. Thomas Parkman

Hi Thomas,

So that you know, Eyeore rocks!!!!:flowers:

I just noticed for the first time that the pictures of the Westminster tiara are infact different. I guess I didn't notice because I really didn't scrutinize the picture in detail. It is quite impressive.

Yes, Queen Mary really knew how to "dress-up". I must say that I do like the Honeysuckle Tiara. But then again has she ever made a wrong move?:)

Thomas, please don't even mention Liz. She doesn't rate being a part of this thread, good or bad.:lol:

Oh...don't kill your computer.:ROFLMAO:

Sorry for being a spoilsport but the Royal Jewels Forum is about just that, Royal Jewels (including noble and aristocratic), and not for stuff worn by celebrities etc.

Irrelevant pics and posts will continue to be removed.

Thanks.

Warren
Royal Jewels moderator

Josefine said:
here are some info on madeleines tiara and you can see it be worn by other family members http://swedish-royal-jewlery.blogspot.com/2006_06_25_swedish-royal-jewlery_archive.html
How wonderful to find that the tiara has history and is not the "nasty/tacky modern thing" it has been alledged to be. :flowers:

Those women also knew how to ring the changes, and the tiara looks as stunning on each of them as it does on Madeleine, so I take back what I said about liking it only on Madeleine. :wub:

It looks wonderful on women of taste and discernment who have mastered the art of 'Less is More". :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom