The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels > Royal Jewels General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-10-2011, 03:59 PM
Serene Highness

I don't believe so. According to Elizabeth Taylor's book "My love affair with jewelry" Wallis explained that this had been "overlooked" when all the royal jewels were returned after the abdication.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Interesting that there wasn't an inventory of the jewels in the Duke of Windsor's possession that this piece got overlooked, but perhaps no record was ever kept. And I suppose in the shock of the situation and with such fast-moving events, anything could have been easily overlooked once the couple moved abroad.

Old 09-12-2011, 04:29 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchessmary View Post
I don't believe so. According to Elizabeth Taylor's book "My love affair with jewelry" Wallis explained that this had been "overlooked" when all the royal jewels were returned after the abdication.
I thought the comment referred to when Louis Mountbatten came after The Duke of Windsor had passed away, and he came to collect any jewels that belonged to the family that the Duke still had in his possession.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Well, the statement does say after the abdication, not after the Duke of Windsor's death, so I'd expect any jewels belonging to the royal family would have been returned much earlier.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyPrincess168 View Post
I thought the Duke had the brooch made after the abdication.
I believe you are right, this was made for the Duchess but since it represented royalty the Duchess thought they would take it back, but they didn't. I read this in another book, I can't remember which.

I called Christies and the books will be available to order in a couple of weeks.$300 for all 5 books, and $150 for just jewelry (2 books) Its very expensive but I'm still going to splurge, it took me years to track down the Duchess of Windsor sale book. Although that was before internet!
Old 09-14-2011, 06:48 PM
Heir Apparent

I didn't know the brooch was made for Wallis and was not part of the royal collection. It then begs the question why Charles would bid on it, if that's his intention. Would anyone wear it given its provenance? Unless he'd just want it because it does represent British royalty and also to bring it into the family because the Duke of Windsor commissioned it. Perhaps there's no intention of giving it to Camilla or eventually Kate, but would just reside in the royal vaults. This will be interesting.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

I wonder whether we will ever learn who purchased these pieces?
Probably not, at least until they are worn.

( I tried looking up who bought the Portland Tiara, but couldn't find anything).
Old 09-16-2011, 01:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Oh, yes, that magnificent Portland tiara that many were wishing would be purchased for Kate as a wedding gift! Maybe it was, and it's being kept under tight wraps until some time in the future when we see it adorn Kate's head; wouldn't that be a lovely revelation? It would be nice to know who did purchase it.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Elizabeth Taylor bought Mary I's necklace and Wallis Simpson's brooch here:

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Flashback Friday: Dame Elizabeth Taylor
Old 09-19-2011, 05:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for the link; I have never seen ET in a tiara before so that was a sight to see. I wonder if that was an historically important one. And La Peregrina is so fascinating; I've seen photos of that portrait of Mary wearing it and the pearl's provenance is unbelievable. I believe, though, that Elizabeth purchased the pearl, not Mary's necklace, and had it reset in a necklace designed by Cartier, according to the article. Amazing that Elizabeth's jewel collection could rival the royal houses.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
Thanks for the link; I have never seen ET in a tiara before so that was a sight to see. I wonder if that was an historically important one. And La Peregrina is so fascinating; I've seen photos of that portrait of Mary wearing it and the pearl's provenance is unbelievable. I believe, though, that Elizabeth purchased the pearl, not Mary's necklace, and had it reset in a necklace designed by Cartier, according to the article. Amazing that Elizabeth's jewel collection could rival the royal houses.
Yes, she and her husbands spent a fortune on her jewels; she was supposedly very knowledgeable.

La Peregrina has been worn by so many Spanish queens, it will be a pity if the Royal Family can never recover it, though in the current economic clime, it seems unlikely. (Aren't you surprised it was returned after Mary's death? I wouldn't think Elizabeth I the type to ever let go of it! )
Old 09-22-2011, 08:19 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes, Elizabeth I did love her pearls. I understand that either she or one of her courtiers who gave it to her (maybe Robert, Earl of Leicester) purchased Mary, Queen of Scots', long black pearl necklace. And the mystery of why La Peregrina didn't come into Elizabeth's possession? Who knows - that's why the wandering pearl had its name.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:06 PM
Heir Apparent

I read somewhere that one day Liz Taylor's dog was chewing something then she realized that the dog was chewing Mary I's pearl! But thankfully it was not damaged.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Here's the story of that little mishap. I wonder how many times in its illustrious history it wandered into an animal's mouth. That pearl is so aptly named!!!

Missing La Peregrina Pearl
Old 10-17-2011, 12:23 PM

'Maharaja' exhibition

‘Maharaja’ Exhibit to Open at Asian Art Museum of San Francisco

The Asian Art Museum of San Francisco is set to reveal an extensive and lavish collection of Indian art from the evocative era of the maharajas. “Maharaja: The Splendour of India’s Royal Courts”, opening Oct. 21 and running through April 8, 2012, will present nearly 200 important artworks from the intriguing world of India's rulers over three centuries.

The collection was organized by the Victoria and Albert Museum, London, and makes its U.S. premiere at this exhibition.

The exhibition will feature a throne room in its ceremonial splendor; an array of ceremonial regalia, turban ornaments, swords, and other symbols of Indian royalty; and many rare paintings in watercolors and gold.
image not subject to copyright
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Maharaja.gif
Views:	19
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	280533  
Old 11-04-2011, 03:31 PM
Administrator

The treasures of Dresden on show in Qatar

Gulf Times: Qatar's top-selling English daily newspaper - Qatar

'Dresden's Green Vault' exhibition opens at the Museum of Islamic Art, Doha, Qatar

The temporary exhibition ‘The Dream of a King – Dresden’s Green Vault’ was opened yesterday evening at the Museum of Islamic Art in Doha by HE Sheikha Mayassa bint Hamad al-Thani, Chairperson of the Qatar Museums Authority.

The Green Vault is one of the oldest museums in Europe. Between 1723 and 1730 Elector Augustus the Strong, the ruler of Saxony and also king of Poland, realised his vision of a Baroque synthesis of the arts as an expression of wealth and power. One of the most sumptuous treasure chambers in Europe, the Green Vault has enjoyed world renown ever since.

A magnificent treasure chamber, it is home to the world-famous ‘Dresden Green Diamond’ and a fabulous collection of precious objects, dating from the Renaissance through to the late Baroque period. Housed in the Residence Palace of Dresden, this storehouse of glittering treasures displays some of the most important works of European culture: masterpieces created by jewellers and goldsmiths as well as costly items made from amber and ivory, vessels made of semi-precious stones such as nephrite, and exquisite statuettes of silver and bronze.

Of the 3000 objects in the Green Vault, a choice selection of 68 of the very finest have come to Doha, representing the skills of silver and goldsmiths, workers in bronze, wood, enamel and ivory, and of course the jewellers who created glittering diamond-studded sword hilts, buckles and buttons, and decorated exquisite small figurines with row upon row of precious stones.

The exhibition will be open daily except Tuesdays until January 26, 2012. There is an admission charge of QR25 for adults, and entry is free for students and children under 16.
A lavishly illustrated catalogue of all the objects on display is on sale in the MIA gift shop.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:29 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
I read somewhere that one day Liz Taylor's dog was chewing something then she realized that the dog was chewing Mary I's pearl! But thankfully it was not damaged.
Well, that's what ET said!
But I've read that actually it did have a tooth mark in it, and was shaved down slightly, both to get rid of the mark and to place it in a more secure setting.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Past tiara's that had been sold:

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Flashback Friday: Going, Going, Gone...Sold Tiaras
Old 11-17-2011, 09:24 AM
Heir Presumptive

There don't seem to be many occasions to wear a tiara these days!

When may they be worn? Is it only at State Banquets or the Opening of Parliament?
Old 11-17-2011, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
There don't seem to be many occasions to wear a tiara these days!

When may they be worn? Is it only at State Banquets or the Opening of Parliament?
Depends of the Country. In the scandianavian Countries there are still some official dinners through the year where tiaras are worn. They also wear it for birthday and pre-Wedding balls for example. Unfortunately in all other reigning Houses they no use the black tie dress-code for this occasions. I think they should do it like it was done in Denmark for the 75th birthday of Prince Henrik and for Queen Margrethe 70th birthday at the Fredensborg Dinner. Have the dresscode as black tie but with tiara optional so that the ladies who own a tiara still can wear one.

Royal Travel and Events

Tags
auction, cullinan diamond necklace, exhibition, jewellery