Portugal and Bragança Royal and Noble Jewels

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This week the King of the Netherlands and Queen Máxima will bring a State Visit to Portugal. A good chance to see the Duke and Duchess of Braganca at the State Banquet.

Anything known about this emerald pendant worn by Princess Maria da Gloria of Orleans-Braganca?

https://www.vecernji.hr/media/img/24/34/a706f8a04e14a2847f65.jpeg

Similar necklace worn by Duchess Victoria Eugenia of Medinaceli?

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/9b/dc/1a/9bdc1ab2b8f14271a14a92b4c50e4f8f--pomp-high-society.jpg

The photo is colored so it doesn't give the right impression colorwize, but somehow I think it's the same necklace and that it is a Medinaceli piece of jewelry.

It seems to be the same item indeed. The duchess of Segobe also wore a substantial brooch on the back of her dress. I did not find a photo but you can find it in the video(minute 4:54):

It seems to be the same item indeed. The duchess of Segobe also wore a substantial brooch on the back of her dress. I did not find a photo but you can find it in the video(minute 4:54):

Fabulous. And I love the sound of "La Duquesa de Segorbe", sounds muy española.

Great emerald earrings too and a huge diamond brooch on the back of the dress.
She looked royal and so happy. Wonderful Lady for her age.

Last edited:
Isn't the duchess a member of the Brazilian royal family; or is this thread both for the Portuguese and Brazilian royal family jewels?

Isn't the duchess a member of the Brazilian royal family; or is this thread both for the Portuguese and Brazilian royal family jewels?

As we don't have the thread about Brazilian imperial family jewels and since they originated from Portugal this is so far the only thread where we can discuss their jewels.

She is also wearing Queen Amelie's dog collar necklace, which can be converted in a tiara. It was left by the Queen to Dom Duarte.

I suppose the duchess will mostly wear tiaras abroad. Perhaps the insurance costs to travel with such a substantial piece may be too high? She did wear it in an official Portrait IIRC, but good to see it again!

Last edited:
She is also wearing Queen Amelie's dog collar necklace, that can be converted in a tiara. It was left by the Queen to Dom Duarte.

I suppose the duchess will mostly wear tiaras abroad. Perhaps the insurance costs to travel with such a substantial piece may be too high? She did wear it in an official Portrait IIRC, but good to see it again!

As I have read somewhere, the tiara belongs to the foundation and can't get out of the country, which means it can only be worn in Portugal.

Maybe I am wrong, but that's what o have read somewhere.

If I'm not mistaken, this is only the third time that she wears this beautiful jewel: her wedding day, some official photos, and not the State Banquet. It's really gorgeous to see her wearing it. She looked very regal.

Could someone give more informations about the Braganzia tiara the Duchess of Segorbe sold. It think it is sold again ??

From Royal Jewels of the World Blog, credit to RDavid regarding newly discovered old Portugese tiara:

Here is a link that leads you to some discoveries made about the jewellery collection of the Portuguese Royal family (at the end there is an English translation)

https://www.academia.edu/42831590/A_tiara_with_4000_diamonds

“Part of the investigation taking place within the scope of the opening of the Royal Treasury Museum of the National Palace of Ajuda, João Júlio Rumsey Teixeira presents his first conclusions about the observation and research of the fragments of dismantled jewels from the palace’s collection, which until today remained disconnected and physically separated.
The deduction that several of this fragments were once part of a large mid-19th century tiara was the starting point of a technic and historical analysis that, supported by unprecedented original documents, allowed to reconstruct the history of one of the most famous, albeit mysterious, Portuguese jewels of the 19th century.”

Came across this tweet stating that Queen Maria II's Sapphire tiara was sold for almost 2 million USD.

Was it sold off by her family?

Last edited:
It was sold by the Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen family. RDavid has a post about the tiara here.

The Ajuda National Palace Museum tried to buy the tiara but the price went to high for them. I hope they are able to come to an agreement with the new owner so that it can be displayed in the museum.

Tiara de diamantes e safiras da rainha Maria II vendida em leilão por 1,3 milhões de euros — e não vem para Portugal

I am sorry that the state of Portugal did not buy this jewel. :sad:

Its a shame the Portuguese were unable to acquire the tiara.

It was too expensive . I am afraid more minor Royals will sell their royal jewels now.

Back
Top Bottom