Princess Eugenie of York's Wedding Tiara

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What a wonderful surprise indeed. I had no idea that this tiara existed. It is absolutely beautiful.

It is officially the Greville Emerald Kokoshnik

LaRae
It was lovely seeing this almost mythical tiara in action. With the Quire stall lights turned on it made the entire tiara sparkle and glow as she and Jack walked back down the aisle.

I do so hope this tiara does not end up with the York girls a nd remains within the main line. The York girls are unlikely to need tiaras very often, and can always borrow when required.
That tiara was made/purchased for Sarah and was never in "the main line". It is the York tiara and may very well end up with Beatrice or Eugenie.

Pleasantly surprised by the tiara choice. I’m sure no one would’ve guessed.
The tiara is exquisite and Eugenie looks ravishing

Ummm I don't think it was a gift..the ring was made from that gift of welsh gold they all use for wedding rings.

LaRae

Like everyone I am a bit surprised no York Tiara but it was lovely and Eugenie looked beautiful!

Ummm I don't think it was a gift..the ring was made from that gift of welsh gold they all use for wedding rings.

LaRae

I'd forgotten about the Welsh gold. Perhaps the Queen gifted them the gold the ring was made out of. Either way, they did seem to have a bit of a problem getting the ring on Eugenie's finger but it got there.

Love her tiara choice. It’s beautiful, looks fabulous on her....and was totally unexpected!

It is beautiful, so great to see this tiara is still in the family. This year both royal weddings were a nice surprise on the tiara department.

Have to head to work for 12 hours so will have to catch up and watch after work but glad I saw the photos before I left. So excited.

Happy to be proven right when I said Eugenie had other options then her mothers tiara. So many people thought was only option.

Stunning tiara. Love the emeralds in fall. Perfect with her hair :flowers:

So happy second time this year to see a long unseen tiara. Shame this tiara has never been worn by a royal until now.

Love the earrings from Jack.

What a nice surprise.
Such a beautiful tiara.
The colour of the stone really suits Eugenie’s colouring and eyes and the season.

This tiara was not worn by a royal before?

I'm happy that Eugenie wore a tiara on loan from the Queen. Without the veil and wearing a tiara with British royal provenance, she truly was the princess she is.

It actually doesn't have much royal provenance as Eugenie is the only royal who has worn it.

What a nice surprise.
Such a beautiful tiara.
The colour of the stone really suits Eugenie’s colouring and eyes and the season.

This tiara was not worn by a royal before?

Not publically. Privately perhaps. It's not a royal tiara...it was part of a collection given to the Queen Mother (Greville collection) years ago...then passed down on her death.

LaRae

It was lovely seeing this almost mythical tiara in action. With the Quire stall lights turned on it made the entire tiara sparkle and glow as she and Jack walked back down the aisle.

That tiara was made/purchased for Sarah and was never in "the main line". It is the York tiara and may very well end up with Beatrice or Eugenie.
I was referring to the Grenville Emerald tiara that Eugenie work, and I hope it stays in the main line .

Wow. That's a really big surprise. As a sucker of Kokoshnik, I LOVE it. The emeralds are simply gorgeous (really love how the sunshine shined through them when she was in the car). And the diamond details are exquisite, like a lace. Always thought it is a bulky tiara when I see the B&W picture but it actually is quite airy. It is not easy to pull off a Kokoshnik and I think Eugenie is one of these lucky ladies who look breathtaking with Kokoshnik (another one would be Madeleine, I kinda think that the Greville Emerald Kokoshnik is a British and emerald version of Swedish Aquamarine Kokoshnik:tongue :) Collecting dust in the vault? No that tiara is waiting for the right one and finally it meets Eugenie. It's a really big pity that Eugenie doesn't have too many chances to wear tiara.

Somehow believe that Beatrice would not wear the York tiara in her big day too, please give us more surprise ;).

I love being wrong about the tiara Eugenie would wear! I had guessed she would wear the York, but this gorgeous kokoshnik is like an unexpected and wonderful gift to all the royal jewelry watchers!

The arch of the tiara suits Eugenie perfectly and there's no veil to clutter up our view of it, so bonus points for that. Fabulous.

On the other hand, it does make me wonder (and worry) a bit about the status of the York tiara, and if it is even still in Sarah's possession. I suppose we'll find out one way or the other eventually....

I was referring to the Grenville Emerald tiara that Eugenie work, and I hope it stays in the main line .

Well, it says it's on loan. I think The Queen has taken a different approach than her grandmother (the Queen Mother also wasn't very big on giving away royal jewels, but she did give some piece to Margaret) on jewels. Although times are also different. We likely won't see another collection going into the BRF the way it did. And even back in Anne's days, tiaras were still gifted to the royals.

Can't go wrong with emeralds and the style really works well with the gown-a big time fashion winner for Eugenie today!

Well, it says it's on loan. I think The Queen has taken a different approach than her
grandmother (the Queen Mother also wasn't very big on giving away royal jewels, but she did give some piece to Margaret) on jewels. Although times are also different. We likely won't see another collection going into the BRF the way it did. And even back in Anne's days, tiaras were still gifted to the royals.

I believe Muriel's post was written in response to another user who thought the ultimate plan was to have Charles inherit the tiara after the Queen's death and then, at his late mother's behest, gift the tiara to Eugenie in hopes he lived long enough to avoid the gift being taxed as an inheritance. In which case the tiara would leave the main line.

in hopes he lived long enough to avoid the gift being taxed as an inheritance.

FAR too risky a stratagem imo.. why risk it ? There is no need for ownership, lifetime, [or 'one off'] loans are sufficient, thus ensuring the Tiara always descends down the generations from on Monarch to the next, for them to lend out as they see fit.

I was one of the people who thought it would be the York tiara but secretly hoped for something else like the Papyrus or Strathmore Rose - but this was a complete surprise and I have to say - I LIKE IT! Eugenie absolutely looked stunning - and colored stones in tiaras for weddings (blue or green) seem to become more of trend then the absolute exception. Pls let us see more .....

There are supposedly sixty pieces in the Greville Bequest; makes me wonder what else is in the collection?

The tiara is beautiful and, for me, was the icing on the cake of an overall great look. I think it’s much more elegant and regal looking than some of the supposedly more impressive tiaras in various royal houses, and it looks so good on Eugenie it could have been made for her. I hope that the Queen then Charles and finally William will let Eugenie borrow this piece for the, (increasingly rare), royal occasions she’ll attend.

The tiara is beautiful and, for me, was the icing on the cake of an overall great look. I think it’s much more elegant and regal looking than some of the supposedly more impressive tiaras in various royal houses, and it looks so good on Eugenie it could have been made for her. I hope that the Queen then Charles and finally William will let Eugenie borrow this piece for the, (increasingly rare), royal occasions she’ll attend.

I agree that Eugenie's tiara was the "icing on the cake" and added to the overall gorgeous look. The green really suited her complexion and hair colour too. It wasn't what I expected her to wear, though I'm glad she did wear it!

I believe Muriel's post was written in response to another user who thought the ultimate plan was to have Charles inherit the tiara after the Queen's death and then, at his late mother's behest, gift the tiara to Eugenie in hopes he lived long enough to avoid the gift being taxed as an inheritance. In which case the tiara would leave the main line.

But then, when the time comes for Eugenie's child(ren) to inherit it, how is it guaranteed not to be sold off in order to meet inheritance tax? It's just not a practical solution, given that she's not likely to need very often.

Last edited:
The tiara is really beautiful and I love that she wore it today. But her hair, make-up and big, beaming smile were so beautiful that she would have looked smashing with most other tiaras as well. Did you notice how strands of her hair were carefully pulled aside and arranged to cover the tiara base? That's the way to place a tiara!

I'd never have guessed that one and it was stunning on Princess Eugenie today.

This tiara it is not my favorite but on Eugenie looking so beautiful!

But then, when the time comes for Eugenie's child(ren) to inherit it, how is it guaranteed not to be sold off in order to meet inheritance tax? It's just not a practical solution, given that she's not likely to need very often.
I agree and think that the tiara will stay with the mainline, with Eugenie having the option to borrow it for coronations and similar events.

However, I hope other royal ladies will have a chance to wear the tiara when Eugenie isn't there, but my feeling is they'll wait for a generation before getting the tiara in the mainline rotation. Similar to how they waited nearly 20 years for the current Countess Snowden's wedding tiara to make its way to Kate (although in that case who owned the tiara is a major question) I have a feeling the next royal to wear this after Eugenie will be Charlotte or one of her brothers' future spouses.

Back
Top Bottom