The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels > Royal Jewels General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-19-2015, 05:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

I just think folks need to sop making it seem like Diana was some bad omen and any family jewel associated with her should be kept at arms length for generations. I just think it's a shame that even in death she's treated badly. People should just stop doing that.

The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara is a beautiful piece of jewelry that's in the royal family collection. It should be worn whenever possible. Also, it hasn't been worn since the early 90's, it's been sitting in the vaults long enough.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-19-2015, 05:20 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I would imagine Anne and Sophie, as members of the royal family, would return pieces from the Royal Vault back to where they came from for future use by the family.

When Diana died, the Lover's Knot was returned to the vaults. Sarah, Duchess of York, I believe, is the only one that has kept her tiara as it was a gift from the Queen and made especially for her and not a significant piece from the royal collection.

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 10-19-2015, 05:22 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathia_sophia View Post
I have a question: the tiaras that The Queen gave to Princess Sophie and Princess Anne, will eventually return to its rightfull place? Or are Sophie's and Anne's forever with them and their families. I wonder, Queens giving tiaras to daughters-in-law or daughters that will never succed the throne but not returning back. Doesn't the royal vault decrease with time?
Part of Queen Mary's collection for example actually ended up with collateral lines of the Windsor family like the Kents and Gloucesters.

The only safe way really to prevent items from being dispersed by inheritance would to be to transfer them from the Queen's personal collection to the Royal Collection Trust.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:22 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I just think folks need to sop making it seem like Diana was some bad omen and any family jewel associated with her should be kept at arms length for generations. I just think it's a shame that even in death she's treated badly. People should just stop doing that.

The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara is a beautiful piece of jewelry that's in the royal family collection. It should be worn whenever possible. Also, it hasn't been worn since the early 90's, it's been sitting in the vaults long enough.
I agree with all the logic. But when it comes to Diana, alot of people are not acting logically. I personally do not feel or think those things. Diana died before I was even aware of royalty outside my fairytales. But I see why from a PR standpoint, avoiding the tiara for a while makes the most sense.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
I agree with all the logic. But when it comes to Diana, alot of people are not acting logically. I personally do not feel or think those things. Diana died before I was even aware of royalty outside my fairytales. But I see why from a PR standpoint, avoiding the tiara for a while makes the most sense.
There would be no bad PR if Catherine wore the tiara, hernameispekka. Naturally, people would be reminded that Diana once wore the tiara, but they would also be reminded that Her Majesty and Queen Mary once wore it too. At the end of the day, it would be no major big deal or problem and everyone would move on. No matter if it's been 22 years, 32 or 42 years since the tiara was last worn, the history behind the tiara will always come up. So there's no use in waiting for future generations to wear it. That's the beauty about the royal family's jewel collection, it has history and that's worth showing off and telling.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-19-2015, 05:34 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
There would be no bad PR if Catherine wore the tiara, hernameispekka. Naturally, people would be reminded that Diana once wore the tiara, but they would also be reminded that Her Majesty and Queen Mary once wore it too. At the end of the day, it would be no major big deal or problem and everyone would move on. No matter if it's been 22 years, 32 or 42 years since the tiara was last worn, the history behind the tiara will always come up. So there's no use in waiting for future generations to wear it. That's the beauty about the royal family's jewel collection, it has history and that's worth showing off and telling.
It wont? Kate is already being lynched at different sites for copying Diana and riding her coattails. I wouldn't wanna stir that pot more. They are also being accused of "snubbing" Harry by taking the ring and the name and leaving nothing for his future wife. Again, I don't agree with any of this, but I see it alot.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:43 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
It wont? Kate is already being lynched at different sites for copying Diana and riding her coattails. I wouldn't wanna stir that pot more. They are also being accused of "snubbing" Harry by taking the ring and the name and leaving nothing for his future wife. Again, I don't agree with any of this, but I see it alot.
The royal family can't dictate their lives to what some people say on the internet. Diana had a great deal of jewels that she either bought, loaned to her or gifted to her. She left her own personal jewel collection for William and Harry to share with their wives, so there's plenty for Catherine and Harry's future wife to divide and play around with. The ring was rightfully given to Catherine and I don't think Harry had a problem with it. Just the folks on the net, and they don't count.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-19-2015, 05:46 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
The royal family can't dictate their lives to what some people say on the internet. Diana had a great deal of jewels that she either bought, loaned to her or gifted to her. She left her own personal jewel collection for William and Harry to share with their wives, so there's plenty for Catherine and Harry's future wife to divide and play around with. The ring was rightfully given to Catherine and I don't think Harry had a problem with it. Just the folks on the net, and they don't count.
I agree with all the logic, you don't have to convince me on the points I'm saying other people are arguing. But since it's a rather common thing to see on the internet I think it's worthy to take into account. It would be another thing if they had only 2 tiaras. But they have a myriad of tiaras. I'd much rather she goes vault-digging than choose the one tiara that is bound to stir the pot.
Old 10-19-2015, 06:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Part of Queen Mary's collection for example actually ended up with collateral lines of the Windsor family like the Kents and Gloucesters.

The only safe way really to prevent items from being dispersed by inheritance would to be to transfer them from the Queen's personal collection to the Royal Collection Trust.
What about the ex-wife of Prince Joachim? She has kept the tiara that Queen Margrethe gave her. I wonder if that tiara will return to the danish royal collection vault someday.
The same applies to Princess Madeleine and her tiara, I wonder if it is her own tiara and will be passed down to her daughter and so on, OR it will return to the royal vault.
I think the best way to avoid the decrease of the royal collection vault is to give daughters-in-law or daughters who aren't heiress their own tiara (for example, the King and Queen of Sweden offered a brand new tiara for Sofia, so it belongs to only her and her future descendants)
Old 10-19-2015, 06:35 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathia_sophia View Post
What about the ex-wife of Prince Joachim? She has kept the tiara that Queen Margrethe gave her. I wonder if that tiara will return to the danish royal collection vault someday.

Alexandra kept the tiara because it was a wedding gift from her mother-in-law and she continues to wear it now and then. As for it returning to the royal vault one never knows but as long as it stays with her sons and their eventual future wife's it's still in the family.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 10-19-2015, 07:43 PM
Nobility

It seems like Queen Elizabeth doles out only one tiara to her female in-laws but allows switches, e.g., Camilla switching from the Delhi Durbar tiara to the Boucheron Honeycomb tiara, and therefore my money is on Kate wearing the Papyrus tiara, the one she wore to the diplomatic reception, assuming that she even attends the state dinner.
Old 10-19-2015, 08:37 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
I agree. And i think she will have to wear it a few times and then it will probably not be seen as Diana's tiara. Look at for example the danish ruby Parure: It weas so closely associated with Queen ingrid because she was the only one who has worn it for over 60 yserars. But now it has became associated with mary as she has worn it on a regulary since her Wedding.
Quote:
What went down between Diana and her marriage has nothing to do with the family tiara. I think this whole controversial idea is pretty much made up.
Stefan, I don't think you can compare the amazing history and sheer beauty of Queen Désirée's Ruby Parure (owned by Prince Frederik) to that of the Cambridge lovers Knot Tiara. It is beautiful yes, it is also reportedly both heavy and uncomfortable. And, like it or not, it is as iconic as Diana's pearl jacketed evening gown. Diana's tiara of choice is her family tiara, the Spencer tiara.

Quote:

I don't think there are any negative connotations with the Lovers Knot, it is just that Diana is the only tiara most people have seen wear it.

Finally, I cannot help but think it is way too big a tiara for Catherine to wear. She wears some of Diana's personal jewels but by no means does she wear anything but a small proportion and, apart from her engagement ring and earrings, nothing else. Harry's wife is going to need jewellery too and I cannot fathom the insistence that Catherine wear the Lovers Knot. Why not Harry's future wife.

Quote:
Unfortunately I see your point.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:28 PM
Heir Apparent

If it's a too big tiara for Kate, couldn't that be said for Harry's wife too. They are both going to be sitting through the same state dinners. Plus Kate will most likely be attending opening of parliaments as the PoW that Harry's wife probably doesn't attend.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 10-21-2015, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

This thread has been merged with the thread Duchess of Cambridge: BRF jewels we would like to see her use, since both threads cover the same topic.

Old 11-12-2015, 04:28 AM
Gentry

Diana didn't like the lovers knot tiara and its provenance historically goes back to queen Mary who had it made based on one she like from her aunt Augusta (who was born a princess of Great Britain ) so in no disrespect to Diana , who didn't like it and barely wore it , she primarily wore her own family's spencer tiara. The tiara caused much acrimony between her and her brother during her life . It had been loaned to her at her wedding & during her lifetime by her father . It went back to the current lord spencer at Diana's death.

Imo the perfect tiara for HRH The Duchess of Cambridge Would have been Queen Victoria Diamond & Sapphire Tiara. The earl of Harewood needs to just offer the parure to HM as a 90 the bday gift.

When Diana died , Harry originally chose the engagement ring as a momento, and William a a $19,000 pound sterling tank francaise watch . They didn't exchange until later when William decided he was going to propose ,

Old 11-12-2015, 05:31 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlfraley View Post
Diana didn't like the lovers knot tiara and its provenance historically goes back to queen Mary who had it made based on one she like from her aunt Augusta (who was born a princess of Great Britain ) so in no disrespect to Diana , who didn't like it and barely wore it , she primarily wore her own family's spencer tiara. The tiara caused much acrimony between her and her brother during her life . It had been loaned to her at her wedding & during her lifetime by her father . It went back to the current lord spencer at Diana's death.

Imo the perfect tiara for HRH The Duchess of Cambridge Would have been Queen Victoria Diamond & Sapphire Tiara. The earl of Harewood needs to just offer the parure to HM as a 90 the bday gift.

When Diana died , Harry originally chose the engagement ring as a momento, and William a a $19,000 pound sterling tank francaise watch . They didn't exchange until later when William decided he was going to propose ,

I understood from Diana's will that William received her engagement ring and Harry her wedding dress.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:09 AM
Gentry

Not according to Leslie fields , the expert , or an expert on the queens jewels, it's also online on the guardian

Old 11-12-2015, 07:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess maggie View Post
I understood from Diana's will that William received her engagement ring and Harry her wedding dress.
Here
Quote:
Princess Diana left her engagement ring to Prince William, and her iconic wedding gown to Prince Harry, her will revealed. The late royal’s will, which divided her assets to her two sons and a few family and friends, is now available online for just £10 [$19].
Read more: Princess Diana’s Will Reveals Princes William And Harry’s Inheritance, Now Available Online For $19
Old 11-12-2015, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlfraley View Post
[..]
[..]
That sapphire tiara is absolutely beautiful, and it would be more than stunning to see it worn be Kate. But I disagree that the Harewoods should give it as a present to HM. Sorry, but I don't see why the (comparatively) poor relatives should give such a valuable item to their super-rich relative. Ok, the Harewoods aren't exactly starving, but they have children to provide for and who have a right to their inheritance. That said, I wouldn't mind if the Queen bought the tiara back. It is not just beautiful, but also of historical significance.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:43 AM
Gentry

According to the article , Diana wrote a seperate letter the day after she signed her will with some wishes regarding her personal belongings . This was not legally binding and her executors had it thrown out in court . Maybe this is where the difference in the two come in at

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Tags
british jewels, duchess of cambridge jewellery