The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #21  
Old 08-06-2006, 04:05 PM
tricia's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Indianapolis, United States
Posts: 63
How can she be MM van Orange-Wisse Smit? Shouldn't Wisse Smit be in front of van Orange...or is it just the way it's done (unlike in the U.S., where your maiden name is in front of your married name)?
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-06-2006, 05:19 PM
Maxie's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The great city of N., Netherlands
Posts: 1,474
When a Dutch woman marries and chooses to use her husband's name, it always comes in front of her maidenname.
__________________

__________________
Toute royale
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-06-2006, 06:19 PM
Henri M.'s Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Eindhoven / Maastricht, Netherlands
Posts: 1,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricia
How can she be MM van Orange-Wisse Smit? Shouldn't Wisse Smit be in front of van Orange...or is it just the way it's done (unlike in the U.S., where your maiden name is in front of your married name)?
Since a few years the policy has become less strict on names: married women can make known to the municipal register that they want to be known with their own name.

But if a woman simply says nothing, the old practice is followed.

Hélène Countess d'Udekem d'Acoz marrying Alfonso Marquis Pallavicini becomes:

Hélène Marchioness Pallavicini née Comtess d'Udekem d'Acoz

(Or oldfashioned: The Marchioness Alfonso Pallavicini)

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-06-2006, 06:24 PM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 10,097
HenriM...thanks for the info on Mabel. I knew she was active with her AIDS work, but I was unaware of her other charity endeavors.

I agree with Alexandria and the high standard that we "and I say that loosley in terms of royal watchers" expect from the women who marry "our" Prince's. I do think we expect the same thing from the men..but at this time..really only Victoria and Madeline are the only marrying age Princess. And you see the grief that poor Daniel gets so its definitely a two way street. No one is ever good enough! . Charlotte and Zara while a member of royal families...don't have the actual titles and Eugenie and Beatrice of England and Alexandra of Luxembourg are too young! We shall see what the future holds for them in their dating endeavors. And I feel for Lenore, Amalia, Elizabeth and Christian..dating is going to be horrible!

In terms of Mabel...she has always intrigued me..her dress sense somestime can be totally off and then she wears something that is totally classic. She definitely made a mistake (as well as her husband) in lying about her previous relationship. But really....I put more of the blame on Johan than her. He grew up in the royal family so he knew what was to expect. She didn't.

Bottom line..she is okay with me :) If she is okay with Beatrix and Laurentien (who I adore) she must be good people.
__________________
.

Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-07-2006, 07:09 AM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Gemeente Heerlen, Netherlands
Posts: 34
I really like mabel.

I think she is pretty & smart. I like her clothing!!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-07-2006, 10:23 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Southend, Canada
Posts: 144
With the apparent money that Friso has then both Mabel and he are wealthy enough to work, at a high level of course, for international charities as, for example, The Princess Royal does; or even set up their own foundation or trust-eg Friso's grandfather, the WWF or Charles' The Prince of Wales Trust. The Open Society Institute promotes "democratic governance, human rights, and economic and social reform". Mabel van Orange-Wisse Smit is the Director of EU Affairs and though perhaps some of those economic and social reforms are dealt with in the new EU countries, though previously Eastern European communist countries, the economic part is always well "supported" by companies who want to set up businessses with government support. The Open Society was set up by an ex-financier's personal funds but it is not seemingly a true charitable foundation, as those I have mentioned. The royals that have sufficient income to give them a decent standard lifestyle should certainly be seen working for true charities. I cannot recall seeing information at an international level about Mabel working for charities compared to The Princess Royal with her connection to Save The Children Fund. (I remember one Asian conference and Mabel's title was used there). There is plenty of media attention for serious charities, a great Dutch example is the WWF, and with Mabel's royal connections I would think that, as an improvement on her controversial background and using her experience, promoting one of these voluntarily would be much better - and her royal title would be worthwhile using, in that instance, as good PR.
Does anyone know why Mabel and Friso moved to London - as Diector of EU section would not residence back in The Netherlands or Brussels be better? Is it because of the controversy surrounding their relationship?
I must say the photos of Beatrix with the family are lovely but that equally reflects on what a great mother-in -law Mabel has.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-07-2006, 10:30 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: , Canada
Posts: 3,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk1189
Bottom line..she is okay with me :) If she is okay with Beatrix and Laurentien (who I adore) she must be good people.
This is essentially the bottom line for me, too, Zonk1189. I have a lot of respect for Beatrix and I like Laurentien a lot, too, and have a lot of respect for her work with literacy programs. Laurentien wouldn't have knowingly introduced Mabel to Johan Friso if she knew that Mabel was a bad person or had ulterior motives. (Whatever one thinks of Laurentien's fashion instincts, I think at least her instincts about people are good! )

And as I can only judge from videos and static pictures (as I do of all royals), Beatrix obviously likes her daughter-in-law very much. (Enough to have lent Mabel her engagement dress to wear to the van Vollenhoven wedding.) Beatrix especially has been around many different people enough to know who the truly bad seeds are, and I think for all the mistakes of Mabel and her own son, Beatrix sees the good in Mabel.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-07-2006, 11:52 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: singapore, Singapore
Posts: 313
I think she is a pretty smart lady.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-08-2006, 08:06 AM
lucien's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 6,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliana
With the apparent money that Friso has then both Mabel and he are wealthy enough to work, at a high level of course, for international charities as, for example, The Princess Royal does; or even set up their own foundation or trust-eg Friso's grandfather, the WWF or Charles' The Prince of Wales Trust. The Open Society Institute promotes "democratic governance, human rights, and economic and social reform". Mabel van Orange-Wisse Smit is the Director of EU Affairs and though perhaps some of those economic and social reforms are dealt with in the new EU countries, though previously Eastern European communist countries, the economic part is always well "supported" by companies who want to set up businessses with government support. The Open Society was set up by an ex-financier's personal funds but it is not seemingly a true charitable foundation, as those I have mentioned. The royals that have sufficient income to give them a decent standard lifestyle should certainly be seen working for true charities. I cannot recall seeing information at an international level about Mabel working for charities compared to The Princess Royal with her connection to Save The Children Fund. (I remember one Asian conference and Mabel's title was used there). There is plenty of media attention for serious charities, a great Dutch example is the WWF, and with Mabel's royal connections I would think that, as an improvement on her controversial background and using her experience, promoting one of these voluntarily would be much better - and her royal title would be worthwhile using, in that instance, as good PR.
Does anyone know why Mabel and Friso moved to London - as Diector of EU section would not residence back in The Netherlands or Brussels be better? Is it because of the controversy surrounding their relationship?
I must say the photos of Beatrix with the family are lovely but that equally reflects on what a great mother-in -law Mabel has.
Juliana,Friso already lived in London while employed with Goldman&Sachs,they simply love it there and has not the least to do with any controversy.

HRH Princess Mabel uses the plain;"Hi,I'm Mabel" with anyone she meets anywhere.She,ofcourse,never used any royal title before she met Friso and that still got her on speaking terms with a list of people that reads like a who's who in any echelon.The Princess is very much involved in charities like Warchild and Stop Aids Now! as well.

Alexandria,you are spot on!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-08-2006, 02:02 PM
Avalon's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Yerevan, Armenia
Posts: 5,907
Personally I like Mabel. I can't say she is my favoourite Princess, but she has definitely grown on me since her marriage. I didn't dislike her, I simply didn't care much about her but somehow, I am not sure when it happened, I started actually liking her.
And I really admire her for her work.
__________________
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 08-08-2006, 02:46 PM
Henri M.'s Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Eindhoven / Maastricht, Netherlands
Posts: 1,897
Prince Friso was, until his engagement with miss Mabel Wisse Smit, working and living in London. After his marriage he remained in London, obviously liking the city.

He worked as vice-president investing banking at Goldman Sachs & Co.

Prince Friso probably belongs to the best and brightest of all Princes around, with two total different academic degrees (in Economics and in Aeronautical Engineering). After his universitary studies he went to Fontainebleau (near Paris) to follow another study at the prestigious Institut Européen d’Administration des Affaires (INSEAD).

He is seen as the House banker to the Orange-Nassau fortune and his opinions are influential inside the royal family.

Since 2004 the Prince is director of TNO Space Technologies in Delft. An high tech research institute on space and aeronautica, working for ESA and NASA.

Was he no Prince, he would have been:
The highborn lord drs. ir. J.F.C.B.D. count van Oranje-Nassau van Amsberg M.B.A.
and undoubtedly also have had a bright career in science or economics, like now.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 08-10-2006, 04:29 AM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Singapore, Singapore
Posts: 30
Look I am sure Mabel is a nice person and I am sure she loves her husband to bits (that was never an issue if you ask me) and it is great for her that she has a very succesfull career at a very high level. But the thing is both of them should have known better and should at least have informed the Queen. They obviously trusted no one. Both have been living, working in the international arena and have ample knowledge of A. what happens when the Media smells blood and B. that the truth always comes out in one way or the other, sooner or later. They themselves called it naivity - which is bull... It was a calculated risk and they should have said so. That would have been appreciated and at least it would have been honest.

Friso and Mabel obviously hoped that the outside world (the press, the secret service you name it) would never find out about her fling with a local maffia boss and they choose to keep it quiet knowing very well what would happen if it was ever picked up by the Media. Again it was a calculated risk. But I don't feel sorry for them one bit if you don't mind. Friso never cared about royal duties anyway and he certainly did not try to hide it. Although his wife suggest that he's misunderstood. Yeah right. Mabel 'the activist' Wisse Smit would have caused a lot of trouble for the government and the Queen if she remained doing what she obviously loves doing AND be a part of the Royal House so I think they are actually better off and I have the feeling they think so as well..... The whole circus they could have done without I am sure but at least they are not caged and that's a big advantage if you want to fly high.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 05-01-2013, 04:04 AM
Roslyn's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tintenbar, Australia
Posts: 2,474
I feel a bit strange being the first person to post on this thread in over 6 years, but this seems to be the place to say what I want to say.

I have only just "met" Mabel, being introduced to her through the jewellery thread I ventured into to read more about Maxima's beautiful tiara. I was astonished by Mabel's wedding dress, but, having read a little bit about her, I think it was actually quite splendid! It was certainly distinctive and not one you're likely to forget. I think the design was very clever, with the smaller, more discreet, bows near her face so the portrait shots would not be marred by the craziness, with the more outlandish ones on the train. It reminded me very much of Betsy in "Betsy's Wedding", a film I love. And then I was directed to the video of her speaking on Girls not Brides. What an excellent speaker she is, and on such an important topic!

She is a very talented and interesting woman, and I am very glad I now know about her, and I am very sad for her personal tragedy.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 05-01-2013, 04:10 AM
lucien's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 6,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
I feel a bit strange being the first person to post on this thread in over 6 years, but this seems to be the place to say what I want to say.

I have only just "met" Mabel, being introduced to her through the jewellery thread I ventured into to read more about Maxima's beautiful tiara. I was astonished by Mabel's wedding dress, but, having read a little bit about her, I think it was actually quite splendid! It was certainly distinctive and not one you're likely to forget. I think the design was very clever, with the smaller, more discreet, bows near her face so the portrait shots would not be marred by the craziness, with the more outlandish ones on the train. It reminded me very much of Betsy in "Betsy's Wedding", a film I love. And then I was directed to the video of her speaking on Girls not Brides. What an excellent speaker she is, and on such an important topic!

She is a very talented and interesting woman, and I am very glad I now know about her, and I am very sad for her personal tragedy.
The white sleave and bow on her dress yesterday are from the train of her wedding dress actually,and by wearing it she felt Friso was closer,and there at the Investiture of his elder brother.I thought it very moving actually.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 05-01-2013, 04:15 AM
carlota's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: , United States
Posts: 5,507
I agree, that was incredibly sad. Mabel has grown up on me so much. Thanks for reviving this thread. It's amazing that it wasn't active since 2006 especially after all that Mabel has been going through, lots of opinions have been posted on other threads but we seemed to have forgotten this one, me first... And it was me who initially created this thread.
__________________
Sign the United Nations Universal Declaration on Animal Welfare: http://www.animalsmatter.org
YOUR DAILY CLICK HELPS ANIMALS SURVIVE!
Feed an animal in need, click for free.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 05-01-2013, 04:38 AM
Naggi's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Dusseldorf, Germany
Posts: 785
Princess Mabel was very gracious in yesterdays events. Given of what she must have went through in the last year, it was great to see her smile. I truely hope she enjoyed her time.

Also fashionwise she did a good job (I remember many faux-pas of her in the past - especially the trousers-skirt-ensemble I think at Princess Victoria's weddding was a no-go). The black dress with the white bow appeared strange to me at the first side but knowing the story behind it know, I am very moved.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 05-01-2013, 04:42 AM
USCtrojan's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Phoenix, United States
Posts: 1,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucien View Post

The white sleave and bow on her dress yesterday are from the train of her wedding dress actually,and by wearing it she felt Friso was closer,and there at the Investiture of his elder brother.I thought it very moving actually.
Wow! That's powerful! So sweet, and moving! She is such a wonderful woman who is going through so much -it's hard to put on such a brave face like she did/does. She is a survivor!

Her tragedy is a sad one, but she continues to amaze me with her poise and dedication to not only her husband, but her family and her country even while all of this is going on!

That is so moving that she used pieces of her wedding dress during this special time in honor of her loving husband who could not be there on such a happy and momentous occasion!

She has really grown on me since the beginning. She is a great lady!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 05-01-2013, 04:44 AM
Jacknch's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Grundisburgh, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucien View Post
The white sleave and bow on her dress yesterday are from the train of her wedding dress actually,and by wearing it she felt Friso was closer,and there at the Investiture of his elder brother.I thought it very moving actually.
Thanks for the information about Mabel's dress yesterday. My immediate thought yesterday was of the symbolism - the sober black and then the touch of white for hope maybe.
I thank goodness that Mabel is in the protective and loving heart of the Royal Family because her life and what she thought it would be has changed forever and any critisism of her should, I think, be kept to oneself as that is the right thing to do.
It is always good to see her in public and to see her smile and laugh at times.
__________________
J
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 05-01-2013, 04:55 AM
Roslyn's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tintenbar, Australia
Posts: 2,474
I just found photos of Mabel in her black dress with white sleeve. When I saw it yesterday I didn't even know who she was and I just thought it was an odd outfit among a few other quite odd outfits. What powerful symbolism! A marvellous way of having her husband with her at his brother's celebration. Very moving!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 05-01-2013, 05:02 AM
maria-olivia's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 2,025
Prince Friso lost one of his tittles when he married Mabel.
Mabel wears no Dutch Sash as Laurentien
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
princess mabel


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Princess Mabel of Oranje-Nassau Jewellery karolinabraganza Royal Jewels 47 05-02-2013 02:33 PM
Johan Friso and Mabel, News and Pictures Part 2 (Nov 2004-Sep 2006) Anna_R Current Events Archive 193 09-03-2006 12:10 AM
A Girl for Johan Friso and Mabel: Emma Luana Ninette Sophie; March 26th, 2005 Alexandria Prince Friso and Princess Mabel and family 106 07-08-2005 10:26 AM
Mabel, Princess of Orange-Nassau, Pictures - Part 1 Alexandria Prince Friso and Princess Mabel and family 17 04-16-2005 05:48 AM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
abdication birth birthday bourbon-parma camilla charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria danish royals engagement fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri habsburg hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume hohenzollern infanta cristina infanta elena king abdullah king abdullah ii king albert ii king carl xvi gustav king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander norway picture of the month picture thread pom pregnancy prince albert prince albert ii prince constantijn prince felipe prince felix prince frederik prince henrik prince joachim princess princess alexia (2005 -) princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess haya princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess marie princess mary princess maxima queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia state visit wedding willem-alexander william


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:05 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]