Princesses Mako,Kako & Prince Hisahito Current Events Part 2: May 2017 - October 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yikes! 2 kitchen knives were found at Prince Hisahito's seat at Ochanomizu University Junior High School. The knives were found between Hisahito and his neighbor's seats. Security footage showed an intruder, a middle-aged man, dressed like a construction worker entered the school around noon on Friday April 26. Tokyo police are searching for the intruder.
The classroom was empty as lessons were held outside for a time.

Source: NHK

English articles don't have as much details yet. They may be updated later.

Knives found near Prince Hisahito's desk at Tokyo school - Kyodo News+

ETA: fixed date

ETA: Asahi reports the knives appear to be fruit knives. They were taped to a stick (?) and then placed as to straddle the desks. It's not obvious the desk is Prince Hisahito's. No letters were found nearby.

Last edited:
Yikes! 2 kitchen knives were found at Prince Hisahito's seat at Ochanomizu University Junior High School. The knives were found between Hisahito and his neighbor's seats. Security footage showed an intruder, a middle-aged man, dressed like a construction worker entered the school around noon on Friday April 26. Tokyo police are searching for the intruder.
The classroom was empty as lessons were held outside for a time.

Source: NHK

English articles don't have as much details yet. They may be updated later.

Knives found near Prince Hisahito's desk at Tokyo school - Kyodo News+

ETA: fixed date

ETA: Asahi reports the knives appear to be fruit knives. They were taped to a stick (?) and then placed as to straddle the desks. It's not obvious the desk is Prince Hisahito's. No letters were found nearby.

Very, very strange. I cannot imagine what reason an adult man could have for threatening Prince Hisahito (a threat against the Emperor or soon to be Emperor would be more comprehensible coming from an individual who hated Japan or the monarchy), and since there were no obvious signs that the desk belonged to Hisahito ... On the other hand, it would be a curious coincidence if the intruder placed the knives on the prince's (and his neighbor's) desk by chance just days before a major milestone for the monarchy.

Another Daily Shincho article in January
* worries about the inconsistent staff's effect on Prince Hisahito
* Outside of school, Ochanomizu primary school classmates and alumni are not invited over so staff entertain Hisahito but he gets upset when he loses at cards or games. There's concern staff may let him win and that would not build his character properly.
* Prince Akishino appreciates the "independence and autonomy" policy at the Ochanomizu system yet some argue such a "self" policy has led Mako to choose the wrong marriage partner.

Of particular interest to me was the commentary about Hisahito getting upset when he loses at games, which ties in with his sisters' comments which implied he was spoiled. Very delicately, of course. He is a child, and a lot of development and change can take place between now and the time he is an adult, but I'm finding it slightly alarming that those seem to be the character traits that drew commentary, rather than more positive ones, such as respectful, hard-working, dutiful, intelligent--all of which may also apply to him, but weren't the ones that were highlighted.

I guess it is all but assured that gossip magazines will highlight more negative and therefore more interesting commentary, but as you perceptively pointed out, it ties in with his sisters' comments on their parents' "pampering" of their younger brother, as a pampered upbringing creates fewer situations in which a child can express respect, hard work, etc. even if he has the potential for these qualities in abundance.

As for the magazine's comment about Ochanomizu, it must be convenient to have the school policy to take the blame if Hisahito "chooses the wrong marriage partner", with the future emperor probably being shielded from criticism ...

Before Hisahito started at Ochanomizu, every member of the Imperial family attended Gakushuin so I don't think breaking that tradition was 100% due to crown prince family or Aiko. Actually I think it's good someone from the Imperial family goes to a different school. I'm not knocking on Gakushuin; it's an excellent institution. Parents should have options though and no institution should be guaranteed royal attendance.

After Aiko's bullying incident at Gakushuin, perhaps it was a good excuse/opportunity to consider other schools and the Akishinos took the chance to send Hisahito somewhere else. Changing times/attitudes that might not have been available to Aiko or the other cousins who started at Gakushuin in the 80-90s. Princess Kiko has a PhD from Ochanomizu University so there's that connection too.

True, and the actual underlying reasons aside, hopefully being deprived of the future emperor as a pupil led some Gakushuin officials to improve their management of the school's bullying problem.

Prince Hisahito graduates from elementary school in Tokyo: The Asahi Shimbun

The agency also released details of his essay titled, “Six years at Ochasho,” using the shortened name for the school.

In the essay, Hisahito mentioned the importance of working in a group, keeping pace with everyone else and collaborating with each other.

He wrote that he researched the histories and locally produced items of cities, towns and villages in Tokyo.

[...]

Hisahito concluded the essay with, “From now on, I want to continue living my life while valuing what I am interested in.”

No surprise that the graduation essay was entirely anodyne and modest, but I would love to read his reflections on his actual future. ;)

I read about the incident with the knives today - how weird! Also surprising that a random person could get so close to the prince’s belongings; I would have thought security around the all important and only male heir would be considerable.

More details. Actually, Prince Hisahito's desk is identifiable.

Knives found near Prince Hisahito's desk at Tokyo school - Japan Today
[...] Each desk in the classroom bears a piece of a tape with a student's name on it [...]

The hilts of the knives were attached by adhesive tape to a stick, the sources said, and the combination was placed across the prince's desk and the one next to it.

The blades of the knives were painted pink, they added.

Whenever Prince Hisahito leaves his residence, he is guarded by police officers but at school they stand by on campus and do not accompany him inside buildings or his classrooms, according to an Imperial Household Agency official.

Students of the women's university, which is on the same campus, were surprised that the incident occurred despite tight security.

Guards at the premise's two main gates have always checked the identities of visitors and asked students to show their cards, according to a student attending its graduate school.

[...]

:previous:

What a very strange incident. A stick with fruit knives taped to the ends and painted pink like a cartoon weapon? Unless double-ended pink blades bear a cultural significance in Japan which I am not privy to, this has the feel of a stunt rather than a threat, and hopefully that will turn out to be the case.

In either case, why is Hisahito's classmate involved (given that Hisahito's desk was identifiable, but the contraption was laid across both students' desks)?

I read about the incident with the knives today - how weird! Also surprising that a random person could get so close to the prince’s belongings; I would have thought security around the all important and only male heir would be considerable.

In light of the policy of checking visitors' identity cards at the gates, and the person's knowledge of the classroom to which Prince Hisahito was assigned and the time when his class would temporarily go outdoors, my guess is that the disguised "intruder" was someone associated with the school.

:previous: I agree! Bizarre. Someone definitely had to know enough of the school layout and schedule.

2 knives found left on Prince Hisahito’s desk at Tokyo school: The Asahi Shimbun
He identified himself as a worker doing construction work to the school staff via the intercom.

fnn.jp reports the stick was 60cm long

Another Asahi article reports there was a suspicious call to the school to complain about Prince Hisahito attending the school but it wasn't recent. Also, surveillance video showed the man wore gloves so investigators probably won't find fingerprints.

ETA: Suspect in scare at prince’s school wore gloves to cover his tracks: The Asahi Shimbun
[...]

Prior to incident, Ochanomizu University Junior High School received a telephone call criticizing Hisahito’s entrance to the school this month from the university’s elementary school, the sources said.

Although the call was not made immediately before the incident, police are investigating a possible link.

[...]

According to investigators, a middle-aged man wearing bluish work clothes and a hard hat entered the school premises during the daytime, stating that he was a water works employee. He was wearing gloves at the time.

[...]
Sankei has a campus diagram: junior high school in red
https://www.sankei.com/images/news/190427/lif1904270031-p1.jpg

News coverage:

Last edited:
Man arrested on suspicion of trespassing at Prince Hisahito's school - Kyodo News+
A 56-year-old man was arrested Monday on suspicion of trespassing into the premises of the junior high school Prince Hisahito attends, police said, after knives were found on the prince's classroom desk last week.

The man, identified as Kaoru Hasegawa and who was held in Kanagawa Prefecture near Tokyo, admitted to the allegation, according to the police.

[...]
Police arrest man over knives on prince's desk - News - NHK WORLD - English

Last edited:
Man in scare at prince’s school was protesting imperial system: The Asahi Shimbun
A man who triggered a security scare at the Tokyo school that Prince Hisahito attends was protesting the imperial system, investigative sources said.

It remains unclear whether the suspect, Kaoru Hasegawa, 56, belongs to a specific ideological group.

[...]

Investigative sources said that Hasegawa has admitted entering the school premises without a valid reason and placing two fruit knives on the 12-year-old prince’s desk when the classroom was empty.

[...]

The sources said Hasegawa made remarks during questioning that were critical of the imperial system. [...]

Based on security camera footage and other sources, police said they believe Hasegawa acted alone.

Police, who on May 1 referred the case to prosecutors, also searched an apartment complex in Kyoto’s Saikyo Ward where Hasegawa lived for a time and confiscated personal computers and other items.

Ochanomizu University issued a statement under the name of its president, Kimiko Murofushi, which said, “I deeply regret that our school’s security system did not work properly and our sense of emergency response was naive.”

[...]

Man held over knives at prince's school criticizes emperor system - Kyodo News+
[...] Investigations have revealed Hasegawa had been staying at a hotel in Tokyo for several days before the incident, and bought the knives and other items during that time.

Around noon Friday, a teacher found a 60-centimeter-long aluminum bar with two fruit knives attached by duct tape to one end -- giving it the appearance of a pitchfork -- placed across the prince's desk and the one next to it. The blades were painted pink, according to police.

Police: Suspect intended to stab Prince Hisahito in classroom: The Asahi Shimbun
A suspected intruder planned to stab Prince Hisahito in his classroom at Ochanomizu University Junior High School in Tokyo, but the boy was outdoors for a gym class at the time, investigative sources said.

Kaoru Hasegawa, 56, admitted that he intended to harm Hisahito [...]

“I wanted the prince to know that I came here,” the sources quoted Hasegawa, who was arrested on April 29 on suspicion of intrusion, as saying.

Police said they believe Hasegawa did not know the prince’s schedule, and it was a coincidence that all of the students were outside for a gym class when the suspect entered.

[...]

But sources said he has repeatedly criticized the imperial system during questioning.

“Under the imperial system, Japan cannot become a better country,” he is quoted as saying.

Police have found no records that Hasegawa belongs to a specific ideological group. [...]

:previous: I have reservations about buying his explanation. If his intent was to harm, why did he fashion a clumsy pitchfork-shaped contraption out of tape, a stick, and small fruit knives and paint it pink instead of bringing a simple knife or other weapon? And he'd surely know to expect resistance from the teacher, and potentially the other students, if he approached the prince in the middle of class. I hope the admission was not made under duress.

:previous: I have reservations about buying his explanation. If his intent was to harm, why did he fashion a clumsy pitchfork-shaped contraption out of tape, a stick, and small fruit knives and paint it pink instead of bringing a simple knife or other weapon? And he'd surely know to expect resistance from the teacher, and potentially the other students, if he approached the prince in the middle of class. I hope the admission was not made under duress.

There's certainly something odd about the entire incident. The entire painting it pink aspect is really bizarre.

Catching up on the knife incident.

The intruder Kaoru Hasegawa was allegedly in and out of Ochanomizu University Junior High School in 20 minutes.
Source: Sankei

Prince Hisahito 'surprised' to hear about knives - News - NHK WORLD - English
The Imperial Household Agency says Prince Hisahito, the young son of Crown Prince Akishino, seemed surprised when he was informed that someone had placed knives on his school desk.

[...]

At a news conference on Friday, the agency official in charge of the crown prince's family, Takaharu Kachi, said Prince Hisahito left Tokyo on the day of the incident.

He said the school told the agency that students didn't see the incident as a serious matter at first.

Kachi said the agency learned of the incident the next day, and reported it to the crown prince and princess and their son.

He said Prince Hisahito's trip was cut short and he returned to Tokyo.

[...]
Takaharu Kachi, grand master of the Crown Prince Household, reported Prince Hisahito is not anxious about going to school and lives at home as usual. Classes resume on May 13. The Akishino couple are worried that other students and parents will be anxious about the incident.
Sources: Asahi, Yomiuri

Well, I'm glad the incident hasn't affected Prince Hisahito much.

Last edited:
On May 11th, Princess Mako attended the 29th Forest and Flower Festival "Midori no Kansha-sai" Greenery Thanksgiving Day at Iino Hall in Chiyoda, Tokyo. She also met winners commended for their reforestation and environmental efforts.

Photos: Mainichi, Sankei

ETA: Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko used to attend this event which seems to be transferred to Princess Mako now. (and maybe Kako if needed?)

Last edited:
Reactions: eya
The IHA is making plans for Princess Kako to officially visit Austria and Hungary around mid-September for about 10 days. It will be Kako's first official overseas visit. Both countries celebrate 150 years of diplomatic relations with Japan this year.
Source: Jiji

Man to have psychiatric test over knife incident at prince's school - The Mainichi
A 56-year-old man arrested on suspicion of placing knives on Prince Hisahito's school desk in Tokyo last month will undergo a psychiatric examination, sources close to the matter said Thursday.

A court has granted Tokyo prosecutors' request to keep Kaoru Hasegawa detained for the examination after he was apprehended on April 29 for allegedly trespassing on the grounds of Ochanomizu University Junior High School three days earlier. [...]

In late March or early April, Princess Mako visited the exhibition "Praise of the Shadow" by Peruvian artist Fernando de Szyszlo at Cervantes Institute in Tokyo. She will visit Peru and Bolivia in mid-July for the 120th anniversary of Japanese immigration.

Photo: La princesa Mako, de Japón, visita por primera vez el Instituto Cervantes de Tokio - Crónicas - Crónicas de la Emigración

I couldn't figure out exactly when she visited. The article was posted April 4 but the exhibition ran from March 30 to April 9. If Mako went to the opening ceremony, her visit could have been on March 29 as opening ceremonies are often held a day before an exhibition is open to the public.

On May 14th, Princess Mako attended a classical guitar concert featuring Paraguayan guitarist Berta Rojas, celebrating the 100th anniversary of diplomatic relations between Japan and Paraguay, hosted by the Paraguay Embassy in Tokyo.

Source: https://www.mofa.go.jp/mofaj/la_c/sa/py/page4_004970.html

Last edited:
Takaharu Kachi, grand master of the Crown Prince Household, reported Prince Hisahito is not anxious about going to school and lives at home as usual. Classes resume on May 13. The Akishino couple are worried that other students and parents will be anxious about the incident.
Sources: Asahi, Yomiuri

Well, I'm glad the incident hasn't affected Prince Hisahito much.

Agreed, and here is hoping that the school and the IHA will not be reactionary and ratchet up the security around Prince Hisahito to excessive levels. All things considered, the attempt to bring him up in a relatively normal way is worth while, even though it cannot realistically be achieved.

In late March or early April, Princess Mako visited the exhibition "Praise of the Shadow" by Peruvian artist Fernando de Szyszlo at Cervantes Institute in Tokyo. She will visit Peru and Bolivia in mid-July for the 120th anniversary of Japanese immigration.

Photo: La princesa Mako, de Japón, visita por primera vez el Instituto Cervantes de Tokio - Crónicas - Crónicas de la Emigración

I couldn't figure out exactly when she visited. The article was posted April 4 but the exhibition ran from March 30 to April 9. If Mako went to the opening ceremony, her visit could have been on March 29 as opening ceremonies are often held a day before an exhibition is open to the public.

I wonder if it was her own choice to attend the exhibition to educate herself about Peru ahead of the visit? If so, that reflects well on her.

:previous: It's the National Urban Greenery Festival, a duty transferred from her parents. Princess Mako visited Nagano Prefecture May 22-23.

May 22: Tensan Silk Museum and a park in Azumino City.
May 23: National Urban Greenery Festival in Matsumoto City. She planted a cherry sapling.

Photos: Sankei, Getty Images

Last edited:
On May 27th, Princess Mako attended a memorial service for the unidentified war dead of WWII at Chidorigafuchi National Cemetery in Chiyoda, Tokyo.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D7jBIGrVsAAt0_Y.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D7jjzmmUcAEWLIw.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D7jj0-OUEAENkD-.jpg

ETA: Asahi, Getty Images

Remains of 925 unknown Japanese war dead added to nat'l cemetery - The Mainichi
A memorial service was held Monday at the national cemetery in Tokyo, where the remains of 925 unknown Japanese who died during World War II were added this year, bringing the total to 370,069.

[...]

Last edited:
On June 3rd, Princess Kako attended the 66th Sankei Children's Book Award ceremony at Meiji Memorial Hall in Minato, Tokyo. The award was established in 1954; this year's grand prize winning book was about the nuclear power plant accident during the Great East Japan Earthquake.

Photo: Jiji

Crown Princess Kiko attended this event previously.

Reactions: eya
On June 3rd, Princess Kako attended the 66th Sankei Children's Book Award ceremony at Meiji Memorial Hall in Minato, Tokyo. The award was established in 1954; this year's grand prize winning book was about the nuclear power plant accident during the Great East Japan Earthquake.

Photo: Jiji

Crown Princess Kiko attended this event previously.

It surprises me a bit to hear that there is a renowned children's book about the nuclear power plant accident, but it must be cathartic for the numerous children whose families were uprooted by the disaster.

It surprises me a bit to hear that there is a renowned children's book about the nuclear power plant accident, but it must be cathartic for the numerous children whose families were uprooted by the disaster.
It's a photo book called "Still Home" following farmers and dairy farmers in Iitate, Fukushima Prefecture. All villages in the area were temporarily evacuated. [Sankei]

Loads of videos!
ETA: 26-minute video

Last edited:
On June 11th, the Cabinet approved Princess Mako's official visits to Peru and Bolivia from July 9 to 22. Both countries celebrate 120th anniversary of Japanese emigration.

Princess Mako's Peruvian visit begins July 9; she will tour Machu Picchu, attend commemorative events, meet Nikkei (Japanese immigrants and their descendants), and pay a courtesy visit to the President. Her visit to Bolivia begins July 15 and includes visits to immigration areas, a memorial ceremony, and a courtesy visit to the President.

Mako's travels via the United States to Peru and from Bolivia. (cue the media speculation about her possibly seeing Kei in NY)

Last edited:

Princess Mako viewed the 2019 Bologna Illustrators Exhibition at Itabashi Art Museum in Tokyo today, June 28:

** ap gallery **

On July 5th, Princess Mako visited the Imperial Palace in the morning to worship at the Palace Sanctuaries before leaving for her July 9-22 official visit to Peru and Bolivia.

In the afternoon, she'll greet Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako at Akasaka Imperial Palace.

Last edited:
On July 9th, Princess Mako departed from Narita Airport for official visits to Peru and Bolivia to celebrate 120th anniversaries of Japanese immigration.

AP Images

https://www.sankei.com/images/news/190709/lif1907090014-p1.jpg
https://www.jiji.com/news/photos/photo_news/images/658/0031983540.jpg
https://www.yomiuri.co.jp/media/2019/07/20190709-OYT1I50046-1.jpg

Princess Mako leaves for Peru, Bolivia - Kyodo News+
[...] The princess is scheduled to travel via the U.S. city of Houston and will arrive in Lima late Tuesday. She will meet Japanese Peruvians, make a courtesy call to Peruvian President Martin Vizcarra and visit Machu Picchu, a world heritage site, before heading to the Bolivian city of La Paz on Monday.

Arriving at Santa Cruz the following day, the princess will attend another ceremony marking the immigration anniversary. She will also visit areas inhabited by Japanese immigrants and depart the country on July 20, returning to Japan on July 22.

[...]

Sayako Kuroda, who left the imperial family upon her marriage to a commoner in 2005, visited the two countries on the 100th anniversary of the start of immigration in 1999 and Prince and Princess Hitachi, on the 110th anniversary in 2009.
IHA - summary of schedule to Peru and Bolivia
July 9-11: Lima (Peru) via Houston, US
July 12-13: Cusco
July 14: Lima
July 15: La Paz (Bolivia)
July 16-20: Santa Cruz area
July 22: Japan via Miami, US

Last edited:

Today, July 10, Princess Mako visited a Japanese sports institution in Lima and attended a ceremony to commemorate the Japanese migration:

** gettyimages gallery ** rex gallery **

Last edited:
Another galleries, tweets, and videos of Day 1 in Peru

AFPBB

Galería Fotográfica | Agencia Peruana de Noticias Andina | ANDINA

Princess Mako marks 120th anniv. of Japanese immigration to Peru - Kyodo News+
[...] "I hope that the history created by Japanese Peruvians will be cherished and passed down to future generations," the 27-year-old princess, who was clad in kimono, said as she delivered a speech before some 500 people a day after she arrived in the country.

[...]

Since the first group of 790 Japanese arrived at Callao port near Lima on April 3, 1899, the number of Peruvians of Japanese descent has grown to an estimated 100,000 in the country.

Prior to the ceremony, Princess Mako met with four first-generation Japanese Peruvians, including 104-year-old Motome Okuyama. [...]
Princesa Mako celebra los 120 años de la migración japonesa en Perú | La Prensa
[...] Princess Mako, 27, started her activities, as guest of the Peruvian government, placing a wreath on the bridge of the Peruvian-Japanese Friendship, whose monument is engraved with the names of the first 790 migrants who arrived in Peru aboard the ship Sakura Maru in April 1899.

Along with her entourage, she later visited La Union School, the educational center with the largest number of students from the Japanese community in the country, and moved to the La Union stadium, to which its members also attend.

The princess planted a memorial pine in the same place where other similar trees that have been planted by members of the imperial family of Japan who have visited Peru are raised.

At the headquarters of the Peruvian Japanese Association, Mako met with four of the longest-living migrants: Matsue Amemiya and Motome Okuyama, both 104 years old, as well as Kamado Arakaki and Sada Makikado, 101 years old. [...]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N57KqaC4Puo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnYw2svJUkI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wstBSLYuiTI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE-qSWh2o-M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqWBMWRXnzU

Last edited:

Today, July 11, Princess Mako was received by Peru's President Martin Vizcarra at the Palace of Goverment in Lima:

** gettyimages gallery **

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom