Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko Current Events Part 3: May 2017 - April 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ANN video of Princess Kiko's last 2 events in the Netherlands.

Today, November 2, Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko attended the Harvest Festival hosted by Agriculture Ministry in Tokyo:

** gettyimages gallery **

Prince Akishino was allowed to have a try at robots manufactured by students during a visit to the Fukushima prefectural Odaka Industrial Technology and Commerce High School in Minamisoma today, November 6:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

Today, November 7, Prince Akishino delivered the opening speech at the opening ceremony of 10th International Aquarium Congress at Onahama Fish Market in Iwaki, Fukushima prefecture:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

ANN videos of Prince Akishino's 2-day visit to Fukushima Prefecture.

Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko viewed the Japan Fine Arts Exhibition at the National Art Centre in Tokyo today, November 12:

Today, November 13, Princess Kiko attended a symposium in Tokyo for the 70th anniversary of the maternal and child health handbook:

Prince Akishino will visit Thailand in December to receive an honorary doctorate from Mahasarakham University for his work on catfish. Most likely December 12-15 and the trip is private.

Source: Asahi
Princess Kiko will also go to Thailand December 12-15. She'll attend the 11th Mother and Child Handbook (MCH) international conference on December 13 in Bangkok.

Prince Akishino was supposed to receive the honorary degree in 2016 but travel to Thailand was cancelled due to security concerns.

Sources: Jiji, Sankei

Last edited:

Prince Akishino is on a two-day visit to Ishikawa Prefecture and visited the Notojima Aquarium in Nanao City today, November 26:

Photos, videos, and press conference for Prince Akishino's 53rd birthday

Mainichi, Asahi galleries

Photos and video were taken on November 10th at Akasaka Estate and the Akishino residence. Press conference was held on November 22nd.

Prince Akishino questions Japanese government financing of Shinto-linked rite | The Japan Times
Prince Akishino, the younger son of Emperor Akihito, has questioned whether the state should finance one of the Shinto-linked rituals to be held following the Imperial succession.

The prince, speaking at a news conference held before his 53rd birthday Friday, also had a message for Kei Komuro, the boyfriend of his daughter, Princess Mako. The prince urged Komuro — whose mother is involved in a dispute with her former fiance over money spent on Komuro’s education — to deal appropriately with the issue if he wants to marry her.

[...]

“I wonder whether it is appropriate to cover the highly religious event with state funds,” the prince said, adding that he believes the ritual should be paid for with money used to fund the Emperor’s private expenses.

The prince said he was also opposed to using public funds the last time the rite was held, in 1990, a year after his father ascended the throne in 1989.

[...]

The prince said he has conveyed his views to the chief of the Imperial Household Agency but that the government has already decided to use public funds for the ceremonies in line with the succession rites for Emperor Akihito.

The prince said he felt regret that “the agency did not listen to me.”

In response, the agency’s Grand Steward, Shinichiro Yamamoto, said it was “painful” to hear the prince’s remarks and that he was sorry if his attitude was misunderstood.

But Yamamoto added: “As the previous Daijosai (funded by public money) was held with public support, it is reasonable to follow the precedent.”

The Daijosai is the name given to the first annual Niinamesai harvest festival to be performed by a new Emperor and always follows an accession to the throne.

[...]

Although annual Niinamesai rituals are covered by the Emperor’s personal expenses, the Daijosai will be financed with public “palace-related expenses” used for the Imperial family’s official duties such as ceremonies and state banquets

In relation to the previous Daijosai in November 1990, which cost about ¥2.2 billion ($19 million), a number of lawsuits contesting its constitutionality were filed across Japan, but they were all dismissed.

But a 1995 ruling by the Osaka High Court noted that doubts remain over whether the government financing of Shinto-linked rituals breaches the Constitution.

[...]

On his daughter’s engagement, the prince said Komuro “has to solve the problems that have surfaced. If (their marriage) cannot be celebrated by many people, we cannot hold the betrothal ceremony of Nosai no Gi,” which was originally scheduled to take place on March 4 this year.

[...]

ETA: English articles from Mainichi

Prince Akishino stands firm over daughter's marriage - The Mainichi

Prince Akishino questions gov't financing Shinto rite for new emperor - The Mainichi

Last edited:
Hmm. I think Prince Fumihito is shaping up to be a bit of a loose cannon. Either that, or what he sees as his increasing proximity to the throne is going to his head. Wow.

Sigh. It brings back bad memories of the rift from years ago. I understand his stance... separation of religion and state but it's poor optics. Prince Akishino puts his father and brother in an awkward position. At least Emperor Akihito can respond to Daijosai concerns at his birthday in a few weeks. CP Naruhito cannot respond until February and his answers will have less impact as it'll be months old and everyone's focused on the abdication and Heisei 30 year celebrations/farewells.

Anyway, Prince Akishino visited the Imperial Palace for the usual birthday greetings with Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko on November 30th. A dinner at the Akishino residence will be held in the evening. [Asahi]

https://www.asahicom.jp/articles/images/AS20181130001437_comm.jpg
https://www.asahicom.jp/articles/images/AS20181130001483_comm.jpg

Prince Akishino is on a two-day visit to Ishikawa Prefecture and visited the Notojima Aquarium in Nanao City today, November 26:

Prince Akishino attended the 63rd annual aquarium technical study group of the Japan Association of Zoos and Aquariums. He also visited a bridal museum and a cultural property restoration workshop.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DtEMv44V4AA1BwO.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DtEMxXYUUAAME_m.jpg

On November 29th, Prince Akishino attended the 2018 Fisheries Award Ceremony at Ishigaki Memorial Hall.

https://www.asahicom.jp/articles/images/AS20181129003499_comm.jpg
https://www.asahicom.jp/articles/images/AS20181129003590_comm.jpg

Last edited:
After reading Fumihito's comments about his daughter's suspended engagement, I can't help feeling even more sorry for her. The lack of empathy in his remark that he hadn't spoken to her about her feelings (broadly paraphrasing) was striking, and horrifying to me. I feel as though his attitude towards the aborted engagement, plus his open criticism of the Daijosai is giving an unsettling picture of the kind of person he is, and how he sees his role and status. It makes me feel a bit apprehensive about his becoming Emperor if he happens to outlive Naruhito.

I agree! I cringed about Mako and hope something got lost in translation?? Maybe it's reasonable in Japanese. Understandably he'd get questions about Mako but Akishino could have said less since they've repeatedly asked for privacy. I would prefer something like "I understand there is much speculation but it is a private matter for the Komuro family. We support our daughter."

Jiji reports Prince Akishino hears from Kei about once every 2-3 months. Media reports are inaccurate on some facts. He doesn't follow the magazines closely but is aware of them.

Prince Hisahito had a valuable experience visiting Hiroshima. Princess Kako had a memorable study abroad in the UK and is preparing for graduation. [Sankei]

Full press conference text at Mainichi (google translation)

Full videos from JIJI. The family are looking at old maps of Akasaka Estate.

Last edited:
Reactions: eya
It will be interesting to see if Prince Akishino is reined in at all after he becomes crown prince. His current position is ambiguous in terms of the constitutionality of his remarks, and it seems to me, since apparently he speaks without pre-approved notes, that he's become accustomed to just shooting from the hip (as much as that happens in Imperial circles) without much in the way of consequences. I'm assuming he is going to have much less freedom in a few months, but we'll see if the IHA and government are able to make him toe the line. I don't think it necessarily reflects well on him, but I'm sure for him to make these kinds of remarks, he must be playing to some groups in Japan who like what he has to say.

After reading Fumihito's comments about his daughter's suspended engagement, I can't help feeling even more sorry for her. The lack of empathy in his remark that he hadn't spoken to her about her feelings (broadly paraphrasing) was striking, and horrifying to me. I feel as though his attitude towards the aborted engagement, plus his open criticism of the Daijosai is giving an unsettling picture of the kind of person he is, and how he sees his role and status. It makes me feel a bit apprehensive about his becoming Emperor if he happens to outlive Naruhito.

I have felt really sorry for both Mako and Kei from the very start. It is clear and again confirmed by prince Akishino that it's not the two of them who don't want to get married, it is Mako's father who forbids her to marry the love of her life at least for the foreseeable future and he doesn't even care about what it means for the two of them.

While he might be rightly concerned about what it would mean for the imperial family, as a father he should also be extremely concerned about what all of this means for daughter. In the first place, not being allowed to marry your fiancé and in the second place the public humiliation that went with it.

And if she ends up marrying him (or someone else), she will receive the present of being kicked out of the family.

Sigh. It brings back bad memories of the rift from years ago. I understand his stance... separation of religion and state but it's poor optics. Prince Akishino puts his father and brother in an awkward position. At least Emperor Akihito can respond to Daijosai concerns at his birthday in a few weeks. CP Naruhito cannot respond until February and his answers will have less impact as it'll be months old and everyone's focused on the abdication and Heisei 30 year celebrations/farewells.

I seem to have read these same comments by Akishino previously. I wonder whether this also means that he is not that religious in comparison to his father and brother. I am sure he will go through the obligated rites but him publicly questioning them, seems unlikely if he valued them that highly.

What rift are you exactly referring to?

Last edited by a moderator:
I seem to have read these same comments by Akishino previously. I wonder whether this also means that he is not that religious in comparison to his father and brother. I am sure he will go through the obligated rites but him publicly questioning them, seems unlikely if he valued them that highly.

What rift are you exactly referring to?

I believe Prisma may be referring to the highly publicized reproof Fumihito gave when Naruhito went public on the mistreatment of Masako. If Naruhito's candor was astonishing, Fumihito's slap was cataclysmic.

I have felt really sorry for both Mako and Kei from the very start. It is clear and again confirmed by prince Akishino that it's not the two of them who don't want to get married, it is Mako's father who forbids her to marry the love of her life at least for the foreseeable future and he doesn't even care about what it means for the two of them.

While he might be rightly concerned about what it would mean for the imperial family, as a father he should also be extremely concerned about what all of this means for daughter. In the first place, not being allowed to marry your fiancé and in the second place the public humiliation that went with it.

And if she ends up marrying him (or someone else), she will receive the present of being kicked out of the family.

That may well be the best wedding gift of all.

My fear is that Prince Akishino will see his daughters, especially Mako, as sacrificial lambs to be kept in the Imperial family to act as supports for their brother when he becomes emperor. With the Imperial family shrinking and aging, he strikes me as someone who may well view preventing his daughters' marriages as a way of ensuring that there are more bodies on the ground to do the work. It might be seen as their duty. That's a very traditional outlook, and one which some Japanese women still experience, especially as it pertains to care for aging parents. Not sure if that applies here, but I have wondered about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Ista! Yes, I was referring to the rift between CP Naruhito and what appeared to be the rest of family after his 2004 remarks. Birthday press conferences became battlegrounds for a while. Emperor Akihito mentioned not seeing Princess Aiko enough, Prince Akishino discussed his brother's comments, CP Naruhito talked about a generation gap in communication, etc. The IHA even publicly "encouraged the CP family" to visit more. I think the history is covered in Masako's adjustment disorder thread and Criticisms of the Crown Princess & her family thread.

CP Naruhito was already reprimanded by the emperor and IHA. There was no need for Akishino to interfere.

Back on topic, here are some articles discussing Prince Akishino's comment.

Fumihito raises doubts over use of public funds in imperial ritual: The Asahi Shimbun
[...] Koichi Yokota, a professor emeritus at Kyushu University who is knowledgeable about the relationship between the imperial household and the Constitution, said Fumihito’s comment was fully understandable.

[...]

Yokota was much more critical of the government for simply following precedent even with sufficient time before Akihito’s abdication.

“The government should have conducted a thorough discussion on the issue of separation of politics and religion and the use of public funds and attempted a review of how the ceremony is conducted,” Yokota said.

Susumu Shimazono, a professor of religious studies at Sophia University, said, “Distributing public funds for the Daijosai does not match Japan’s constitutional system of government.”

Shimazono said he felt Fumihito was also trying to spark discussions within the government and among the public because of his concerns that Shinto rituals performed by imperial household members could take on the color of state events, which is what had happened before the end of World War II.

Moreover, Fumihito is well aware of the difference between state ceremonies, such as the official enthronement ceremony, and the Daijosai, which is defined as an imperial household event.

[...]

Hideya Kawanishi, an associate professor of history at Nagoya University, raised questions about the constitutionality of Fumihito’s comments.

He said the prince’s words were inappropriate because they concerned a government decision and were made in a public setting.

Article 4 of the Constitution states the emperor “shall not have powers related to government,” and Kawanishi said he believes that provision extends to all members of the imperial household.

At the same time, Kawanishi said the Imperial Household Agency was not functioning properly because officials failed to discuss the matter informally with imperial household members in a way that could convince them about the appropriateness of the government decision.

However, Yokota disagreed with Kawanishi and said Article 4 only applies to the emperor.

[...]
Japan’s Prince Akishino Speaks for the First Time About the Postponement of Princess Mako’s Nuptials | JAPAN Forward
[...] In response to Prince Akishino’s remarks, Grand Steward Yamamoto explained that financing methods for the rites had been decided by the government. He added that the Prince’s comments “should be taken as reiteration of his personal, long-cherished opinion and his view should never be interpreted to have been intended to make a political statement.”

Yamamoto added that the Emperor had called on him to “consult with the Crown Prince” about rituals relating to his enthronement, noting, “We have been pushing ahead with [the preparation for the rituals] by obtaining understanding [from the Crown Prince].”
Prince Akishino's comment on public funding for Imperial rite was 'personal view': gov't - The Mainichi

Editorial: Prince's questioning of use of public funds for religious rite spurs thought - The Mainichi

Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko attended a ceremony to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the National Centre for Global Health and Medicine in Tokyo today, December 3:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** ap gallery **

On December 12th, Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko departed for Thailand from Haneda airport. During the private visit, Prince Akishino will receive an honorary doctorate from Mahasarakham University on the 13th. Princess Kiko will attend the 11th Mother and Child Handbook (MCH) international conference December 13-14. The couple returns to Japan on the 15th.

Photos: Sankei, Asahi, AP Images

ETA: Prince Akishino leaves for Thailand to receive honorary degree - The Mainichi
The prince will attend an award ceremony Thursday at Mahasarakham University in northeast Thailand for his long years of research into Mekong giant catfish and poultry. [...]

Prince Akishino will visit a folklore museum in northern Thailand on Friday.

Meanwhile, Princess Kiko, the director general of a Japanese organization promoting maternal and child health, will stay in Bangkok to give an address at the opening ceremony of an international conference on maternal and child health handbooks on Thursday. She is scheduled to visit a children's hospital the following day.

Last edited:
On December 13th, Prince Akishino received an honorary doctorate from Mahasarakham University while Princess Kiko attended the opening of 11th Mother and Child Handbook (MCH) international conference in Bangkok. Prince Akishino also visited sericulture and mushroom facilities. He learned about Thailand's development in making cosmetic products from silkworm proteins and drugs from mushrooms.

Photos: Jiji, Getty Images, Kyodo, Getty Images 2
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DuWtEu_VAAA_pCs.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DuWtlrdVYAAmH5D.jpg

Last edited:

Today, December 14, Prince Akishino attended a chicken contest at Naresuan University in Phitsanulok, northern Thailand, and Princess Kiko visitsed a children's hospital in Bangkok:

On December 24, Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko learned about the research of Shoun Ishiyama, Prime Minister Prize winner of Japan Students Science Award High School category:

** gettyimages gallery **

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom