Princess Astrid & Prince Lorenz - Current Events part 3

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO she always seems popular when she goes out and about, its when it appears she doesn't attend certain events because of possible family drama that people aren't so warm towards her.

Princess Astrid does attend a lot of military and in particular WW1 commemoration events ,perhaps she's a patron of one of the organisations?

Princess Astrid does attend a lot of military and in particular WW1 commemoration events ,perhaps she's a patron of one of the organisations?

She is a colonel in the armed forces since 1997

I think Pss Astrid takes most after her father: easygoing and good-natured. I think she would have made an excellent queen. Obviously there are issues between her and her elder brother, but unlike Laurent she usually doesn't show them (give or take one or two exceptions).

Still, Astrid is a secondary player and the main focus will be on the king, queen and their family. As such, most of what she does will go under the radar. It is to her credit that nobody ever suggested that her dotation has to be taken away. I am sure that she will be directed even more out of the lime light as the children of the king grow up and start to have duties of their own.

Last edited:
She is a colonel in the armed forces since 1997

I also think part of this is that she is the next senior adult royal after her brother, so when there are important events with VIP visitors she is sent as Philippe's representative if he is not attending.

Still, Astrid is a secondary player and the main focus will be on the king, queen and their family. As such, most of what she does will go under the radar. It is to her credit that nobody ever suggested that her dotation has to be taken away. I am sure that she will be directed even more out of the lime light as the children of the king grow up and start to have duties of their own.

Laurent still having his dotation is probably due to Astrid. They don't want to punish Astrid for her younger brother's behavior, otherwise it would have been relatively easy to say that the younger siblings no longer get a dotation.

Princess Astrid is (Colonel de la composante médicale de l' armée.! Colonel for the medical part of the army).
Nothing to do with WWI Commemorations.

Princess Astrid represented the King with the traditional homage to the Unknown Soldier and the solemn commemoration of the victims of the two World Wars and peace operations and humanitarian operations abroad since 1945. This ceremony is taking place at the Congress Column in Brussels.

Last edited:
The king is fortunate to have Astrid as his reliable sibling to represent him at such events and look dignified.

On December 1 Princess Astrid attended a fund-raising dinner on the occasion of the 35th anniversary of Handicap International Belgium, the 20th anniversary of its Nobel Peace Prize and the 20th anniversary of the Ottawa Convention on the prohibition of anti-personnel mines:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

Princess Astrid attended day 1 of the Diplomatic Contact Days 2017 that took place at the Egmont Palace in Brussels today, December 18:

** belga gallery **

Princess Astrid as Special Envoy of the Anti-Personnel Mine Ban Convention or Ottawa Convention opened the second day of the 16th meeting of States Parties (16MSP) to the Mine Ban Treaty at the UN Office in Vienna, Austria, today, December 19:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

Last edited:

Yesterday, January 18, Princess Astrid attended the New Year's reception by the Foreign Trade Agency at the Castle Hertoginnedal in Oudergemte:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

Princess Astrid attended the Paralympics Sport Awards in Diegem this evening, February 1:

** belga gallery **

On the occasion of the International Day of Rare Diseases, Princess Astrid attended the EURORDIS Awards ceremony in Brussels yesterday evening, February 20:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Princess Astrid attended the "New and Emerging Regulations" seminar organized by the Royal Union of Pharmacists of the Pharmaceutical Industry in Brussels on February 20:

** Pic **

The Royal Palace has confirmed that Princess Astrid has some severe sleep problems and is currently taking some rest and undergoing a treatment. Astrid suffers from sleep problems for more than a decade now, but the problem has become more intense during the last weeks. Therefore she hasn't had any official events since February and is not expected to attend the Queen Elizabeth Competition as planned.

** nieuwsblad.be article ** translation **

The Royal Palace has confirmed that Princess Astrid has some severe sleep problems and is currently taking some rest and undergoing a treatment. Astrid suffers from sleep problems for more than a decade now, but the problem has become more intense during the last weeks. Therefore she hasn't had any official events since February and is not expected to attend the Queen Elizabeth Competition as planned.

** nieuwsblad.be article ** translation **

Princess Astrid is quite devoted to her role; I can imagine that the rest and treatment are long overdue.

ETA: Since she has been taking a leave of absence since February, why did the Palace only announce it now?

Last edited:
Maybe they though there would be speculation about why she didn't show up for the Queen Elizabeth Competition.
Hope she feels better soon

Yes you are right. Why the Queen alone ???... what a family !

Can such a thing be treated? Apart from sleeping pills that have a limited effect as time goes by & the body gets more accustomed to them.

Ten years ...without going better !
The Princess has an economical Mission on June 23 to 30th in Argentina and Uruguay.
Will she be able to go ?

Wondering if anyone has heard of an update on Princess Astrid relative to the insomnia situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom