Victoria and Daniel's Relationship

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Stefanie said:
The comparison with Victoria having future children and her mother having children is a little lame. Silvia is "only" the wife of the king but Victoria has to become Queen and her husband will be Prince consort. I´m sure Victoria after a possible marriage wants to have some time to bring her children up before getting the responsibility of a reigning Queen. Both Queen Elizabeth II and Queen Margrethe of Denmark appeard not to have been good mothers what was even confirmed by Queen Margrethe.
So I wouldn´t say Victoria has that much time left to marry and rise children. In the Netherlands in my opinion Queen Beatrix still has to reign some more years until the little ones of W.A. and Maxima are in a proper age to take over. Her mother abdicated at the age of 71 so this would be in two years....
But in Sweden there is no tradition of abdication and i believe King Carl XVI. Gustaf has said that he will not abdicate. And the Bernadottes became mostly very old, often over 90 in the last generations, so Victoria has probably a few years left before she becames Queen.

Correct that Carl XVI Gustaf has said that he has no intentions to abdicate.
Both he and Victoria has said in tv-interviews that the day Victoria is the Queen of Sweden is the day the king pass away.
King Gustaf V passed away 92 years old and Gustaf VI Adolf was 90 years old when he passed away and the longest living person from the bernadotte family was 102 or 103 years old when she died.
So even if Victoria step up on the throne at the age of 60 there is a chance that she will be on the throne for approximately 30 year or more.

Hans-Rickard said:
Both he and Victoria has said in tv-interviews that the day Victoria is the Queen of Sweden is the day the king pass away.
King Gustaf V passed away 92 years old and Gustaf VI Adolf was 90 years old when he passed away and the longest living person from the bernadotte family was 102 or 103 years old when she died.
So even if Victoria step up on the throne at the age of 60 there is a chance that she will be on the throne for approximately 30 year or more.

And if she will have children she will have them in the next 15 years. So probably has enough time to start a Family Live.

Hans-Rickard said:

That is Elsa Bernadotte, Countess of Wisborg, born 03.08.1893, died 17.07.1996.

Stefan said:
And if she will have children she will have them in the next 15 years. So probably has enough time to start a Family Live.
A 66 year old woman in Florida had twins some month ago.
Aftonbladet: Carmela födde tvillingar vid 66

And given the fact that the Bernadottes live way beyond 90, there's really no reason at all for Victoria to feel any stress about this.

Ehm...and the king´s mother became only 64 years old...and his father 40...and what does that say? Nothing...one can´t predict ones age by relatives. And if one desperately wants to give it a try, one has to look at the parents (and their cause of death) and not at distant auntie Hildegard :rolleyes:
Don´t get me wrong, I´m wishing Carl Gustaf a long and healthy life, but ppl ignoring all scientific laws by saying "All Bernadottes get old" and "Getting children at 40+ these days is a safe thing due to the medical progress" is-sorry-driving me bonkers...

Its not good to rush into marriage and be unhappy so I hope Victoria marries when she is ready whether a year from now or 10 years from now. It is her life and I am sure she understands her responsibility as future queen. It seems people underestimate her as if she does not know what she is doing with her life. Besides the girl is only 29 and she still has time to marry and have kids!

His mother Princess Sibylla of sachsen-coburg and gotha died of stomach cancer and his father Prince Gustaf Adolf died in an air crash so i dont think this fact says something about the chanses for the king to live in 90 year or more!
If Prince Gustaf Adolf had been King Gustaf VII Adolf and lived a long life, it is possible that Carl XVI Gustaf had access to the throne in 1996 or in some of the years between it.
And about our Crownprincess, she is only 29 and have hole the future in front of her ! If she will marry and have any children she is Wise enough to decide when the best time for it is.
Do not forget she is mouch yonger than the Crownprinces and Crownprincesses around Europe.

Last edited:
Yes I know, what they did die from...but it is simply a fact that Prince Gustaf Adolf died age 40 and not in 1996...and one could easily state, that a person, who is flying more has a higher risk to die in a plane crash...or that a person, who is into racing has a higher risk to die in a car crash. Or one could state, that the development of stomach cancer is with a rate of about 30% genetically determined. But this is all just playing with figures. One can´t say, when the lord is calling one home...so I don´t get, why you can all come up with the "old Bernadottes" And that´s it, what I wanted to say with my former post.

And the other crown princesses are older, but have all fulfilled their "first duty" At this point it is e.g. already impossible for Victoria to get (age-wise) earlier a child than Mathilde or Mette Marit (I´m talking about Ingrid Alexandra...since Marius isn´t in line to the throne) Mathilde was 28, when Elisabeth was born and Mette Marit 30, when Ingrid Alexandra entered the world (so Victoria would need to be already pregnant to match her at least)
And to play again with figures...one can already be infertile at 20, but of course the risk is growing with age (chronical inflamations, inappropriate production of hormones, miscarriages through genetical errors)
A reason to hurry? I wouldn´t say so...there is no point in rushing into a marriage, that one really isn´t sure about. But there is also another thing my little unimportant life has taught me...ppl don´t seem to know, if a marriage is working before the marriage. Otherwise those, who got divorced wouldn´t have married :rolleyes: There are so many things one can´t calculate...not how children change the marriage, not how the partnership would be in times of sorrow, not how aging is affecting the marriage and esp. for Royals not how working together is affecting it. But I´m truly sure, that one knows at least at a soon point, if this relationship is making it to the altar.
Well, it´s her decision anyway and maybe she is indeed knowing, what is best for her...and we can´t do anything about it anyway. But if we just talk about the aspect of PR, I would say it is really time to tie the knot. There is a reason, why the term "Stockholm marriage", describing ppl living together without a marriage certificate is related to the Swedish capital city. The Scandinavic countries simply are the countries with the highest numbers of unmarried ppl living in longtime relationships. So one could say, that Victoria is representing Sweden also here. But IMO at least a Monarchy should be bond to old traditions and moral (after all tradition is the main thing justifying it) There is something very charming around the tradition of unmarried Royals hiding their feelings, keeping their private life private, giving only very subtle hints (like e.g. the famous V&D necklace) But Victoria and Daniel aren´t hiding anymore...as we could see in the pics from Cortina...or in the pics of Victoria´s official duties with Daniel being present. Some might think "introduction light" or "introdcution in sloooow motion" is "cooler" or wiser, but it surely isn´t the more traditional romantic way.

Last edited:
I didn't realize they were together 5 years already! I think if you're with someone that long and there's no talk or plans of marriage it might be time to re-think the relationship and look for someone else.
Why do people make it sound like it would doomsday for Victoria if this relationship doesn't work out? Daniel isn't the only fish in the sea. She could easily meet someone, date for a year and still be married by 32 or 33!

I think everything with this relationship is very very hard to make a desisan. Everybody mighty be to know the best way how to do and they have not so much time for each other like other couples in there situation

I think CP Victoria has alot more things to considered when it comes to marriage and whom to marry than others do. If she wants to take her time with it, she should. But after five years, I think you should know whether it's going to happen or not. Maybe they're just trying to wear down the opposition......

Perhaphs they have not discussed marriage in great detail?

Gita said:
Perhaphs they have not discussed marriage in great detail?

Maybe, but I doubt it. After 5 years of dating, it must have come into a conversation at least once or twice.

Actually, I admire Victoria and Daniel for dating as long as they have. It's very easy to get swept away. Personally, I don't believe in love at first sight; to me it's lust at first sight. Only time will tell if you really love a person, knowing their faults and shortcomings, their annoying habits, AND you STILL love that person. That takes time.

Aurora810 said:
I was getting a little curious about other current Queens and their ages when they married and had children. Silvia was 32 and had Victoria at age 33. So there's likely not too much pressure on Victoria at the moment at least not from her parents.

Also Queen Sonja was 31 and didn't have Martha-Louise until she was 34. Queen Beatrix and Queen Margrethe were both later twenties(28 and 27 respectively) and quickly had kids. Queen Sophia was 23 and had Elena at 24. Both Queen Elizabeth and Queen Paola were 21 and quickly had kids the following year.

Just some fun little info!!

Just a side-note about my family, my parents married at 22 [they turned 23 that year] and didn't have children until they were 32. So it's not that uncommon for people to marry and wait a while to have children. However, in Victoria's case, she'll be 30 this year. She probably shouldn't wait 10 years to have children.

She culd adopt an heir, like the Roman emperors did, when they found out their children are not the best choice always .

mixer2002de said:
She culd adopt an heir, like the Roman emperors did, when they found out their children are not the best choice always .

No.

If Crown Princess Victoria remains childless, then we have
- Prince Carl Philip
- the children of Prince Carl Philip
- Princess Madeleine
- the children of Princess Madeleine
- etc.

mixer2002de said:
Bright idea of the day: She could adopt her brother. In order to please the infinitily small minority who thinks he's the ''rightful'' heir :rolleyes: he will always be older than the children Victoria will have with her future husband.

Who said that Vicky can't have children or smth like that? That's one of these kinds of topics of waht would happen if...
She is not married yet and she doesn't have children yet so maybe we'll back to the topic...

"She waits too long"

magnik said:
Who said that Vicky can't have children or smth like that? That's one of these kinds of topics of waht would happen if...
She is not married yet and she doesn't have children yet so maybe we'll back to the topic...

It was just nonsense talk about Crown Princess Victoria waiting and waiting to marry. Then she will be 'too old for children'.

The girl is just 26. Just nonsense talk indeed.

:flowers:

Henri M. said:
It was just nonsense talk about Crown Princess Victoria waiting and waiting to marry. Then she will be 'too old for children'.

The girl is just 26. Just nonsense talk indeed.

Today even 60 year old ladies can have a children so...

We should really to stop talk about this. Her mother was almost 34 when she had gave birth Victoria.

Btw. Victoria is almost 30.

Last edited:
magnik said:
Btw. Victoria is almost 30.

You are right, I switched her for Princess Madeleine.

Henri M. said:
You are right, I switched her for Princess Madeleine.

Henri M. my dear Madeleine is going to 25. She is year younger that me. :flowers:

Btw. maybe she should have children right now before someone'll say that she is too old for it?
how it is right now with her sister.

Last edited:
Yes, it is true, both are still very young, no reason to panic.
But it doesn't make sense either to say, all the crown princes married very late, she should do the same. Philippe married with 39, but he can have children with 46 , for Victoria that would be too late, I believe ( though of course not impossible).
I agree, the discussion now does not make a lot of sense, in 10 years maybe it is different.
BTW I don't think she wants to plan on having children with 60 :lol:

Last edited:
I think Crown Princess Victoria will only start to worry if she is not married by the age of 34 about having children. Obviously it is not something which she is worrying excessively about just yet.

They will announce it when they are ready there doesn't seem to be any rush. Her mother was in her thirties when she married. Imo opinion I'm glad they are taking their time and getting to know each. Marriage isn't easy and for them it will be much harder.

Last edited:
Translated blog Entry of Jenny Alexandersson, who is reporter at Svensk Damtidning and who also has her blog there
Jenny Alexandersson - Svensk Damtidning
5 Years of Happiness
In Spring 2002 we have spotted them together for the first time-Daniel and Victoria. In five years they have kept together and the relationship became only stronger. I really want to believe, that he is part of her self confidence and the happy laugh, we sometimes get to hear.

When I´ve met the Crown Princess for the first time many years ago, she was ordinary, nice and curious, yes all that she was. But she also had a soft and little shy side, which disappeared with the years nearly completely. On the one hand this is a pity, because that was very charming and it was impossible not to fall for her immediately. On the other hand this is good. One can see, that she is strong and knows, what she wants.

These days our princes and princesses need to be strong. They are all the time under the pressure of being successful, beautiful, spotless and not to do any mistakes. Who can manage that?
If Victoria is happy with Daniel, we should be about that. I´ve gotten a lot of Mail about him being not being good enough, that he isn´t good enough for her, that he isn´t smart enough...Isn´t it better to have a happy Crown Princess, who enjoys to go to the work all, than an sad and unhappy one, who doesn´t have enough strength to smile in pictures?

Firstly it is hard to believe, that we are already talking about 5 years...so about 1800 days :ohmy:
Secondly Miss Alexandersson is adressing one of the eternal topics in Royal watcher-land.
As someone, who can even understand the somewhat unpopular opinions on equal primogeniture being wrong, I´m also understanding or not completely supporting the idea of "love" being the only or main reason for a marriage between a Royal and a commoner.
If one is looking at ordinary couples the love part seems so ephemeral, that one is wondering, why things should be so different with Royals.
And what love could stand an unhappy part, who doesn´t get along with being in the shadow or with being less popular?
But of course marrying completely without sympathy can´t be the solution either.
And I´m seriously wondering, what ppl, that are, who write to Svensk Damtidning about their negative feelings towards Daniel Westling :rolleyes:

I think her observations about Victoria´s public personality are quite interesting as well...and I´m agreeing. This somewhat little shyness and insecurity was very charming...and it helped to try different things. These days she seems so stuck. A true professional, one could say...and probably this is coming with the years...and though I´m missing the "old" Victoria a bit :neutral:

Any opinions? "I want Victoria being happy" doesn´t count! :lol:

Last edited:
mixer2002de said:
Hi whats this article about? Viktoria is engaged now?
Storspel på en förlovning i år - Fredag - Expressen

It´s just about Swedes betting on an engagement. Now you would get more money, if you would go for "no engagement" and if you would be right (as you maybe remember it was different in 2005 and 2006)
The relation for the payouts is 1.65 (engagement in 2007) to 2.10 (no engagement in 2007)

Many had thought,there would be an engagement on the 12th of March...so yesterday (Very symbolic date...31 years ago Victoria´s parents got engaged and it´s her nameday...and this one is based on the engagement date of Queen Viktoria and King Gustaf V...They got engaged on the 12th of March 1881 and in 1882 the 12th of March was chosen as nameday for "Viktoria")

Well, it didn´t happen...Nina Eldh (Head of the Royal press department) said yesterday in the morning to Expressen:
--There is absolutely no sign indicating an soon engagement. That it would happen today is excluded. Her parents are on a private trip abroad and an engagement would be then strange.

Does sound, as if we could burry now all hopes for an engagement in spring and wedding in summer. And since I´m pretty sure, that Victoria would marry in summer, one could also exclude a wedding for whole 2007...sigh.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom