The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-21-2008, 08:57 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Her_Majesty View Post
Well.. "rushing into marriage" doesn't describe the situation correctly for me.
How long are they dating now? Well, long enough, IMO.
Personally I would love to see Victoria finnaly marrying Daniel. It always looks a little weird to see her attending all these Royal events where the happily married couples attend together and only Victoria attends with Mummy and Daddy. For example: When Victoria attended the Opening of the Opera in Olso and arrived with Mette-Marit and Haakon she somehow looked like being completely at the wrong placed.
I absolutely share your opinion. Crown Princess Victoria should get married. I believe the couple in question has been dating long enough to know each other and decide wether they fit each other as spouses. Indeed, Crown Princess looks rather awkward accompanying another Crown Princely couple or her parent during some functions. I wonder what prevents Crown Princess and Daniel Westling from tying a knot. There must be a serious reason...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
... [snipped]
Personally i think what makes most difference is not the title or even background of Daniel/ other Prince consorts but the education and esp. the choise of carreer. Both Claus and Henrik were high educated diplomats for example while Daniel is a businessman (not that that is a problem but it is a major difference).
You are quite insightful. Generally speaking, royalty and nobility has always preferred to keep the "vulgar" world of commerce and business at some distance.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:28 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefanie View Post
I have the feeling that Daniel doesn´t want a royal title at all! And I feel that it´s just impossible for the Swedish administration and the royal household to accept that..
Where did you get that feeling? I can´t remember seeing anything about that in any papers or intervjues. I don´t think that Daniel doesn´t want a royal title and i don´t think that it would matter what he thought about it since he has no part in deciding if/what title he would get - that is up to the King (and the parliment i think).

And i do belive that Victoria and Daniel will marry - as it looks now probably next summer...

Old 05-04-2008, 04:49 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

its a bit similiar to the will they wont they marry in Monaco story betwen Albert and Charlene !!!

Old 05-05-2008, 03:14 AM
Gentry

I think this whole thing of him being in business is rubbish and a lame excuse for people including royals to not like him. I think there is something more going on and since the press is lazy we won't know. I know is wrong that we are obsessing about her having kids, but I think its the thought that some people get married to have kids. The logic is if she doesn't want them then she really doesn't have to marry Daniel (refer to "cookies and tea" below).

I'm also wondering if any of the king's kids are going to get married to their significant others... they've been dating these people for a long time and I've heard co-habition isn't a great road to marriage. I don't agree with it cause I don't think it promotes marriage, (sorry my opinion) its like you get cookies and tea without the bad parts.

I also don't buy the crap about Victoria having to be married before the other siblings. At most I could see her siblings using that as an excuse to not get married yet.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Yes, but in contrast to all the names you listed, Daniel will be much more in the limelight: Neither Claus nor Henrik got a title by their wives. IMO it´s different whether you were born as a count like Henrik and just change into a prince whereas Daniel has to change from a commoner into a prince or so. It´s all "normal" for common women to change into princess when they marry a prince but it´s a novum with Daniel. And I fear there is another problem: I have the feeling that Daniel doesn´t want a royal title at all! And I feel that it´s just impossible for the Swedish administration and the royal household to accept that. Viktoria will IMO be also measured what kind of husband she´s able to "get", perhaps even more than her male collegues. I know we live in modern times but it´s still easier the other way round I fear.
I think Daniel wants something more substantial, ex. to keep his business. The older Victoria becomes, the more chips Daniel will have on the table to bargain with the Swedish court IMO. Carl Gustaf and Silvia surely don't want their daughter to be an old maid. Victoria can't be compared to other male heirs. When Philippe married 13 years younger Mathilde, many applauded for the wonderful match, can you image a 39-year-old Victoria marrying a 26-year-old man ? She would end up being lots of people's joke.
I'd like to see Victoria marrying a university professor or a lawyer who works for the Red Cross, but Daniel is not bad either as long as he is content with the role of being the prince consort, using Prince Claus' words, cutting ribbons .
Old 05-06-2008, 07:22 AM
Courtier

If most of us posters believe they´ll marry next summer why not marry this summer or last summer....? There seems to be something special with the number 32. (Cristina, Mary, Marie, Silvia, Charles....)
Old 05-06-2008, 12:33 PM
Aristocracy

I think most of the posters are just tired of waiting, and are more worried about the 'ticking clock' then she is.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:15 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnana View Post
I think most of the posters are just tired of waiting, and are more worried about the 'ticking clock' then she is.
That´s so true! (incl. me... )
Old 05-08-2008, 02:59 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Yes, but in contrast to all the names you listed, Daniel will be much more in the limelight: Neither Claus nor Henrik got a title by their wives. IMO it´s different whether you were born as a count like Henrik and just change into a prince whereas Daniel has to change from a commoner into a prince or so. It´s all "normal" for common women to change into princess when they marry a prince but it´s a novum with Daniel. And I fear there is another problem: I have the feeling that Daniel doesn´t want a royal title at all! And I feel that it´s just impossible for the Swedish administration and the royal household to accept that. Viktoria will IMO be also measured what kind of husband she´s able to "get", perhaps even more than her male collegues. I know we live in modern times but it´s still easier the other way round I fear.
It really isn't up to Daniel what title he gets - he is marrying a woman that will one day be a reigning queen. For him not to have a suitable title would reflect on the royal couple and would not be supportive of Victoria. He will be part of our Swedish history and it carries with it responsibilites. He will not be without a proper title.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:47 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
Victoria has said she will tell when they get engaged - that is different from telling the world they have decided to eventually get engaged.

Can anyone say me when CP Victoria has said she will tell when they get engaged. I searched really a lot.

But all I could find was the sentence

"She will tell when THERE WILL BE AN ENGAGEMENT",

and not

"She will tell when THEY GET ENGAGED"
Old 05-08-2008, 07:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

She has mentioned it in several interviews when journalists have asked her when there will be an engagement. "You will be the first ones to know" was her response in a Swedish TV interview a couple of years ago. The royal family does not talk about an engagement before the fact - there will not be an announcement alerting of a planned engagement - only an invitation to the royal castle and an interview and photos in the traditional engagement (förlovnings soffan) couch. Consequently - we will hear about the engagement once it has happened - not before.
Old 05-17-2008, 05:38 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthieviews View Post
I don't think I've ever seen people so interested in someone's reproductive system. I know CP Victoria is part of the Swedish Royal Family, but that doesn't mean the world at large is entitled to opine on her ability to have children or the methods she may use. It's bad enough that we all speculate on her expected engagement and marriage, but to disect her childbearing options is too intrusive.

I read once that upon meeting Daniel Westling, she told her mother that she had met the man she wanted to spend the rest of her life with. Given that I think we can safely say that she does plan to spend her life with him. For reasons none of us can fathom, they haven't declared themselves as yet. Until they do, we can only speculate and hope.

So...we must comfort ourselves with speculation about an engagement and subsequent marriage. And we must stop all the discussion about her fertility. It is unseemly and intrusive at this point. After they finally marry, then we can speculate furiously about heirs. Let's play fair.
I don't there's anything wrong with people making a general comment about how if they want children, they should be making a decision one way or another soon.

Nobody's trying to get intimate details of Victoria's love life or reproductive system. All we are saying is the general fact (The older you get the harder it is to have kids.)
Old 05-26-2008, 01:30 AM
Gentry

Does it mean they are over because he wasn't at P. Joachim's wedding with her?
Old 05-26-2008, 03:07 AM
Serene Highness

I do not think so. I am sure he was nor invited as Victoria's sister or brother.
and I don't think they are gonna break up soon.
Old 05-26-2008, 02:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

Until Victoria and Daniel are engaged, Daniel can´t participate to official activities with Victoria.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Now, that he was invited to Crown Prince Frederik's birthday bash at Fredensborg today what does this say about their relationship, where it is going, and what significance, if at all, does this "breaking news" have or rather demostrate?

From my perspective, it doesn't mean anything. Like other royal partners he was simply invited because he's a friend of Frederik's and his girlfriend is Victoria. However, I don't believe it means they will be engaged by fall... although I never thought Joachim and Marie would tie the knot in 2008 and look what happened.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:15 PM
Gentry

I agree, its because they are a couple. I think grevinnan was right about the title. In the end I think it doesn't matter what title he has just as long as he loves her. Does anyone have pictures of Dan and Victoria at the Wedding?
Old 05-31-2008, 10:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Wonderful to see Victoria and Daniel at Frederik's party. I am very happy for them. Victoria has a very strong father and she is very likely to pick a very strong husband - she must know a lot about Daniel that we can not see. It was a joy to see them together - for lots of reasons but mostly because the King would not have allowed it unless Daniel is truly her chosen and accepted future husband.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:57 PM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
Good to see them together. Another media speculation is due to follow.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:15 PM
Aristocracy

Oh I look forward to the speculation, it will provide me with some much needed entertainment.

Tags
crown princess victoria, daniel westling, relationships