Sex, names, godparents and Duchy of Victoria's and Daniel's second child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What will it be?

• Boy

Votes: 48 50.0%
  • Girl

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • Twins: Boy & Girl

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Twins: Two Boys

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Twins: Two Girls

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oscar Carl Olof - Duke of Skane

H.R.H Prince Oscar Carl Olof, Prince of Sweden, Duke of Skåne
(Gustaf VI Adolfs duchy)

What a nice name! Oscar is from a previous monarch, Carl for royal grandpa, Olof is from Dad. Having his great-grandfather's duchy is an honor.

I believe that King Gustaf VI Adolf of Sweden was Duke of Skåne prior to his accession to the throne.

What a great, strong name Oscar Carl Olof is! Am a bit disappointed that they didn't give him the same amount of names as Estelle though. Consistency, Victoria and Daniel. Consistency :D

As for his godparents, I suspect they might be:

Queen Mathilde of Belgium
Prince Hubertus of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha or Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark
Princess Madeleine of Sweden
Hedvig Blom
Oscar Magnuson

I believe that King Gustaf VI Adolf of Sweden was Duke of Skåne prior to his accession to the throne.

Yes he was :) He was actually Duke of Skåne for lifetime (like Carl XVI Gustaf is still Duke of Jämtland) but ofcourse known as Gustaf VI Adolf from 1950 :)

Sorry not a fan of Oscar nor of Estelle. Having said that these two children have been born into a family with a great deal of love. That's all the beauty they will need.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Yes he was :) He was actually Duke of Skåne for lifetime (like Carl XVI Gustaf is still Duke of Jämtland) but ofcourse known as Gustaf VI Adolf from 1950 :)

Was that changed at some point? Oscar I. was Duke of Södermanland but the Title was also given to his grandson oscar CArl who was born in 1852 when Oscar I. was still alive.

Was that changed at some point? Oscar I. was Duke of Södermanland but the Title was also given to his grandson oscar CArl who was born in 1852 when Oscar I. was still alive.

Yes i have read that too. It is very strange and seems to have been the only time it happened. It has been stated many times that Carl XVI Gustaf is still Duke of Jämtland and that Gustaf VI Adolf was Duke of Skåne til his death.

As the ducal title is just an honorary title in Sweden they may have changed the "family traditions" after the reign of Oscar I to avoid it will happen again.

Last edited:
It was not the first time there were a grandfather and an (adopted) grandson who "inherited" the title duke of Södermanland. King Carl XIII was duke of Södermanland until 1809 and Oscar (I) became duke of Södermanland in 1810. Maybe there had been some kind of plan to use the title duke of Södermanland as a title for a future king, but after the death of prince Carl Oscar there were no longer any interest.

What a great, strong name Oscar Carl Olof is! Am a bit disappointed that they didn't give him the same amount of names as Estelle though. Consistency, Victoria and Daniel. Consistency :D

As for his godparents, I suspect they might be:

Queen Mathilde of Belgium
Prince Hubertus of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha or Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark
Princess Madeleine of Sweden
Hedvig Blom
Oscar Magnuson

I am also betting on Queen Mathilde as one of the godparents, but I wonder if the fact that she is Catholic might be an impediment to serve as a godmother. I wouldn't think so as Leonore and Nicolas, who were also baptized in the Church of Sweden, had Catholic godparents. I would appreciate though if any Church of Sweden member could comment on that.

I am also betting on Queen Mathilde as one of the godparents, but I wonder if the fact that she is Catholic might be an impediment to serve as a godmother. I wouldn't think so as Leonore and Nicolas, who were also baptized in the Church of Sweden, had Catholic godparents. I would appreciate though if any Church of Sweden member could comment on that.

Queen Mathilde is already godmother to two Protestant princesses Princess Alexia of the Netherlands and Princess Isabella of Denmark so it shouldn't be an issue.

The only demand the Church of Sweden have on a person to be allowed as a godparent is that he/she is baptized in clean water and in the name of Father, Son and the Holy Ghost, be it Catholic, Coptic or any other Christian faith that baptizes its members in the name of the Trinity.

Sorry not a fan of Oscar nor of Estelle.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I don't care for the names (male or female) at all.
Still, it's up to the parents, and I'm sure they are overjoyed.

But i wonder how close Mathilde really is to Victoria and Daniel. I still think they will choose close personal friends like any of Crown Prince Frederik, Crown Princess Mette-Marit, Princess Märtha-Louise or Prince Nicholaos (of Greece and Denmark)

Last edited:
But i wonder how close Mathilde really is to Victoria and Daniel. I still think they will choose close personal friends like any of Crown Prince Frederik, Crown Princess Mette-Marit, Princess Märtha-Louise or Prince Nicholaos (of Greece and Denmark)

Svensk Damtidning told, that Victoria and Daniel were on a private visit at Belgium meeting Philippe and Mathilde in August 2014. Victoria is the godmother of princess Eléonore, and according to the swedish press Victoria keeps good contact with all her godchildren.

Mathilde was present in the congregation when Estelle was baptized even though neither she nor Philippe were godparents. So I suppose she must be friends with Victoria and Daniel.

I agree that Victoria is probably closer to the Scandinavian royals, but she already chose Mary and Haakon as Estelle's godparents.

Mathilde was present in the congregation when Estelle was baptized even though neither she nor Philippe were godparents. So I suppose she must be friends with Victoria and Daniel.

I agree that Victoria is probably closer to the Scandinavian royals, but she already chose Mary and Haakon as Estelle's godparents.

Yes she is probably friends with most of the european royals in her generation. It is also possible that junior royals like Prince Joachim or Princess Märtha-Louise might be asked like Queen Margrethe is now godmother to Carl Philip and her sister Benedikte is godmother to Madeleine.

Then she could still use Mette-Marit or Frederik as godparents of Oscar.
Or perhaps Guillaume of Luxembourg.

Yes she is probably friends with most of the european royals in her generation. It is also possible that junior royals like Prince Joachim or Princess Märtha-Louise might be asked like Queen Margrethe is now godmother to Carl Philip and her sister Benedikte is godmother to Madeleine.

I can't speak of their relationship to Märtha Louise as opposed to e.g. Mette-Marit, but I'm almost completely certain that they would choose Frederik over Joachim. Frederik and Mary are personal friends of theirs whereas they don't seem to have any particularly close relationship to Joachim and Marie.

I can't speak of their relationship to Märtha Louise as opposed to e.g. Mette-Marit, but I'm almost completely certain that they would choose Frederik over Joachim. Frederik and Mary are personal friends of theirs whereas they don't seem to have any particularly close relationship to Joachim and Marie.

Victoria and Märtha Louise have said many times that they have been close friends through their whole lives.

Harald and Margrethe see Victoria as a children of their own families and Carl Gustaf see Haakon, Märtha Louise and Frederik as children of his family.

I agree that they don't seems to be close to Joachim.
Joachim is more private and have always kept a certain "distance" (reminds a lot of his father PH). And his lifestyle doesn't exactly match Victorias lifestyle.

Last edited:
Godparents:

Madeleine
One of the Victoria's cousins
One of Daniels friends/cousins
Prince Frederick
Prince Guillame/princess Stephanie
A common friend

Godparents:

Madeleine
One of the Victoria's cousins
One of Daniels friends/cousins
Prince Frederick
Prince Guillame/princess Stephanie
A common friend
As Estelle only had five godparents, I doubt that a younger sibling will have six, most likely Oscar will only have four.
Madeleine
A relative/friend of Daniel
Märtha Louise
A male relative of Victoria, Bernadotte or Sommerlath

Molly you guessed it right

I was very happy with their choice!

As for godparents...I really hope they don't choose Sofia. I would rather they chose Chris if they're choosing family.

As for other royals, I can see Mathilde being chosen or Philippe. I would love Sophie Wessex but that's a huge long shot! If she were a future monarch then I feel she would be in with a chance.

Last edited:
Well since Madeleine hasn't served as godmother, I doubt her husband or Sofia would be chosen before her. As accepting of her sister in law as Vic may be, Madeleine is still her sister.

If they choose family members, it is Madeleine's turn this time.

Sofia may be asked if they have a 3:rd child

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom