It's A Girl for Victoria and Daniel! Estelle Silvia Ewa Mary: February 23, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So happy for the couple! I keep picturing their beautiful wedding in my mind...can't believe it's been a year and a half. Victoria and Daniel must be ecstatic. Can't wait to see pictures of the little princess.

How wonderful it is that this new family did not name their child a stupid name. Old fashioned tho it may be, it is still a nice name. Hopefully, more names like this will start to make a come back soon and start a "trend" of sorts. I'm tired of people naming their kids names like "blue ivy" and "apple". How can people take you seriously if you have a name tlike this??? I mean, really?

How wonderful it is that this new family did not name their child a stupid name. Old fashioned tho it may be, it is still a nice name. Hopefully, more names like this will start to make a come back soon and start a "trend" of sorts. I'm tired of people naming their kids names like "blue ivy" and "apple". How can people take you seriously if you have a name tlike this??? I mean, really?

I have a friend who works in medical records. She recently had to process a birth certificate for a baby girl named A'blessin. :eek:

In contrast, Estelle is a very lovely and dignified name.

A strange name but lovely...and where is Madeleine??? Hasn't she had time to return home??that is very bad...

She has had time, i'm surprised that she wasn't there prior to the birth. Knowing her sister was potentially near her due date you would have thought she would have made an effort, clearly not. She didn't enough bother to show up to the naming, or the Te Deum. Shocking.

Catharina said:
Surely they are better people than this! It would be very childish to act like that. People have their own opinions and let's not forget many are experiencing a small shock now and will get used to the name later.

I don't now how they react but i'ts defentiely not childish to react like that ! Herman Lindqvist loves to present himself as a good friend of the royal family and an admirer of Victoria, yet he can be so rude to her and show so extremly little respect for her ! As i said earlier, the problem is not that he is against the names, Estelle and Mary was totally unexpected names. The problem is that he is so rude and has spent the whole day to make some idiotic statements. He even said "the young couple" (read victoria and daniel) is not capable to choose name for their own kids and should take advice from more competent people in the staff to the royal court ! I don't find it surprising if the royal family reacts with anger. But they will defenitely not say anything through the newspapers like Herman did.

Last edited:
It's rather strange and a little unbelievable,but maybe she had some problems...

Sad that Madeleine was not there to see her niece in person.

The Marshal of the Realm announces the Princess' name and titles.
Riksmarskalken presenterar prinsessans namn - Rapport | SVT Play

I'd love to know what they're saying.

I couldn't bother to spell-check it, and I have no idea what the prime minister is going on about in the end, but here goes!

Green tie = Marshal of the Realm Sven Lindqvist
Red tie = Speaker of the Parliament Per Westerberg
Blue tie = Prime minister Frederik Reinfeldt
Lady = Mistress of the Robes Alice Trolle-Weichtmeister

Marshal of the Relm Sven Lindqvist: Welcome to Stockholms Palace. This morning the speaker of the parliament, primeminister, the mistress of the robes and myself went out to Haga (Palace), and there we got to meet the crownprincess couple and the mistress of the robes fetched and carried the child, the little princess, to us so we got to look at her. This is a old tradition that goes back to the middle ages. And for the mistress of the robes this was the fourth time she done this. But now you might not be interested in history but with the extra konference that His Majesty held, and that the prime minister just came from, and there the king proclaimed the following.
Her royal highness the Crownprincess have on Thursday the 23th given birth to a daughter. She will have the names Estelle Silvia Ewa Mary. She will be called Estelle.Her title will be Duchess of Östergötland. I will add that Ewa will be spelled with a "w" and Estelle is a french girlname that means star, comes from the latin world "stella". And it is, until today, a rather unusual name in Sweden, but maybe it will become more popular. There's only 1000 women who has that name in Sweden today. It's a family name. Folke Bernadottes american wife Estelle Manville (??), is probably who she is named after. Estelle. The speaker of the Parliament would like to add something about the beautiful child we saw.

Speaker of the Parliament Per Westerberg: It was a beautiful child. And this is part of the culture and tradition that constructs a country actually, that we were a part of today.

Marshal of the Relm Sven Lindqvist: The prime minister who has children himself?

Prime minister Frederik Reinfeldt: A very cute princess that looks like both her parents, but especially her mother. Amazing to see. A very calm child.

Marshal of the Relm Sven Lindqvist: Unsually cute, just like her mother. Alice, who have done this so many times before must say something about this too.

Mistress of the Robes Alice Trolle-Weichtmeister: Adorably cute girl, just as cute as her mother so it's good, I belive. She was very calm, she was delightful. It was all very wonderufl with two happy parents.

Reporter: Can we get to know any more details? Eye colour, hair colour, and such things?

Marshal of the Relm Sven Lindqvist: Look at her mother.

Reporter: You recognize her?

Marshal of the Relm Sven Lindqvist: Oh yes.

Reporter: How was the names choosen?

Marshal of the Relm Sven Lindqvist: You'll have to aske the crownprincess couple about, but...

Reporter: I can't do that right now, can you tell me more?

Marshal of the Relm Sven Lindqvist: Well, Silvia and Ewa is quite obvious, right?

Reporter: Her grandmothers names. (he doens't say this, because Sven butts in)

Marshal of the Relm Sven Lindqvist: And Estelle. as a french name with tie-backs to the families french conection and that's it's a family name with Folke Bernadottes wife.

Reporter: What influence had Prince Daniel and the Crownprincess over the choice of names?

Marshal of the Relm Sven Lindqvist: They choose the name. With aproval from the king.

Reporter: Frederik Reinfeldt, what does this brith of a new heir means to the state of the monarchy in Sweden?

Prime minister Frederik Reinfeldt: Well, it gives it another heir, we usually say that Sweden is a kingdom, but we can look forward to an era of queens. And the king mentioned this himself, of course it's great for the family, but it's also an heir to the throne.

Reporter: Do you think that the popularity will rise?

Prime minister Frederik Reinfeldt: Well, in my life it has always been so that even the most stubborn person, melts infront of cute children, so yes I believe that the swedish people will take her to their hearts, by the simple fact that we have seen how they like and appreciate the crownprincess couple. So I believe that we are many who can share this joy.

Another reporter: Frederik Reinfeldt, did you get to meet the parents and can you tell us about the meetin if that's the case?

Prime minister Frederik Reinfeldt: Yes, all four of us got to meet Daniel and where happy that the crownprincess joined us for a while, she looked, when one thinks about what she has given birth, really good and not very tired. Happy ofcourse, very happy about it. So we could tell them bought the best of luck. And then Alice showed us the cute little baby.

Another reporter: The people long to see the little princess, can you tell us more about what she looks like?

Mistress of the Robes Alice Trolle-Weichtmeister: I would like to say, if you see old pictures, old pictures of when the Crownprincess was a little baby. She looks just like her mother. Exactly. With the dark hair, and... well everything. It's amazing!

Another reporter: Was she asleep when you saw her?

Mistress of the Robes Alice Trolle-Weichtmeister: No, she had just been fed and newly changed and yawned a little adorably, like kittens can do too.

Another, another reporter: Frederik Reinfeldt, how did it feeel to be apart of this very special thing?

Prime minister Frederik Reinfeldt: It has been very special to follow them, from the crownprincess couple's wedding, and now getting a new little heir, a little princess. We were told about cermonies that we barely knew exsisted, and have had to look for old seals and such. Just like the Speaker said, it's a way of showing how Sweden is, its a monarchy, it's a royal family but it's also a democracy, so in that way we acknowledges this with this cermony and I think it's great that we continue to do this.

Another reporter: Is it really within reason that even this child needs to be queen? (AN: note, this man can not be heard, he just mumbles.)

Prime minister Frederik Reinfeldt: Well the type of government follows the succesion order, and it says in our laws... and as long as we don't change that, and I believe that it shows that the contitutional monarchy has the full support of the swedish government, where the laws for the monarchy has been laid out.

Speaker of the Parliament Per Westerberg: We recently changed the law, and we won't change it again, since it takes a long time between voting and such.

Was the te deum aired on tv?? I was searching for it, but I could only find pictures.

Queen Penelope said:
Was the te deum aired on tv?? I was searching for it, but I could only find pictures.

No. The photografers were only allowed to film and take pictures of the guests and the arrival of the royal family before the "Te Deum" started.

She didn't enough bother to show up to the naming, or the Te Deum. Shocking.

Come on! When my son was born my brother didn't show up - just my and my husband's direct family - that is: the grandparents.

I wonder if in any family the siblings who live on another continent show up in force (how was it for Mary of Denmark?)

I wonder if in any family the siblings who live on another continent show up in force (how was it for Mary of Denmark?)

I believe one of her sisters has been there for each of the 3 births, and for a few weeks after.

Well then Victoria had her brother, Daniel had his sister, and they both had their parents, seems like the family were quite adequately represented . I doubt if they need Maddie to help babysit quite yet, so no need to fly across the Atlantic for a photo op.

Perhaps it just shows that Madeleine isn't needed anymore, they all have the family they need as you pointed out.
It's got nothing to do with "representing" a family, or being there for a photo op.

Thanks a lot ! Nice to read !
I couldn't bother to spell-check it, and I have no idea what the prime minister is going on about in the end, but here goes!

Green tie = Marshal of the Realm Sven Lindqvist
Red tie = Speaker of the Parliament Per Westerberg
Blue tie = Prime minister Frederik Reinfeldt
Lady = Mistress of the Robes Alice Trolle-Weichtmeister

Marshal of the Relm Sven Lindqvist: Welcome to Stockholms Palace. This morning the speaker of the parliament, primeminister, the mistress of the robes and myself went out to Haga (Palace), and there we got to meet the crownprincess couple and the mistress of the robes fetched and carried the child, the little princess, to us so we got to look at her. This is a old tradition that goes back to the middle ages. And for the mistress of the robes this was the fourth time she done this. But now you might not be interested in history but with the extra konference that His Majesty held, and that the prime minister just came from, and there the king proclaimed the following.
Her royal highness the Crownprincess have on Thursday the 23th given birth to a daughter. She will have the names Estelle Silvia Ewa Mary. She will be called Estelle.Her title will be Duchess of Östergötland. I will add that Ewa will be spelled with a "w" and Estelle is a french girlname that means star, comes from the latin world "stella". And it is, until today, a rather unusual name in Sweden, but maybe it will become more popular. There's only 1000 women who has that name in Sweden today. It's a family name. Folke Bernadottes american wife Estelle Manville (??), is probably who she is named after. Estelle. The speaker of the Parliament would like to add something about the beautiful child we saw.

Speaker of the Parliament Per Westerberg: It was a beautiful child. And this is part of the culture and tradition that constructs a country actually, that we were a part of today.

Marshal of the Relm Sven Lindqvist: The prime minister who has children himself?

Prime minister Frederik Reinfeldt: A very cute princess that looks like both her parents, but especially her mother. Amazing to see. A very calm child.

Marshal of the Relm Sven Lindqvist: Unsually cute, just like her mother. Alice, who have done this so many times before must say something about this too.

Mistress of the Robes Alice Trolle-Weichtmeister: Adorably cute girl, just as cute as her mother so it's good, I belive. She was very calm, she was delightful. It was all very wonderufl with two happy parents.

Reporter: Can we get to know any more details? Eye colour, hair colour, and such things?

Marshal of the Relm Sven Lindqvist: Look at her mother.

Reporter: You recognize her?

Marshal of the Relm Sven Lindqvist: Oh yes.

Reporter: How was the names choosen?

Marshal of the Relm Sven Lindqvist: You'll have to aske the crownprincess couple about, but...

Reporter: I can't do that right now, can you tell me more?

Marshal of the Relm Sven Lindqvist: Well, Silvia and Ewa is quite obvious, right?

Reporter: Her grandmothers names. (he doens't say this, because Sven butts in)

Marshal of the Relm Sven Lindqvist: And Estelle. as a french name with tie-backs to the families french conection and that's it's a family name with Folke Bernadottes wife.

Reporter: What influence had Prince Daniel and the Crownprincess over the choice of names?

Marshal of the Relm Sven Lindqvist: They choose the name. With aproval from the king.

Reporter: Frederik Reinfeldt, what does this brith of a new heir means to the state of the monarchy in Sweden?

Prime minister Frederik Reinfeldt: Well, it gives it another heir, we usually say that Sweden is a kingdom, but we can look forward to an era of queens. And the king mentioned this himself, of course it's great for the family, but it's also an heir to the throne.

Reporter: Do you think that the popularity will rise?

Prime minister Frederik Reinfeldt: Well, in my life it has always been so that even the most stubborn person, melts infront of cute children, so yes I believe that the swedish people will take her to their hearts, by the simple fact that we have seen how they like and appreciate the crownprincess couple. So I believe that we are many who can share this joy.

Another reporter: Frederik Reinfeldt, did you get to meet the parents and can you tell us about the meetin if that's the case?

Prime minister Frederik Reinfeldt: Yes, all four of us got to meet Daniel and where happy that the crownprincess joined us for a while, she looked, when one thinks about what she has given birth, really good and not very tired. Happy ofcourse, very happy about it. So we could tell them bought the best of luck. And then Alice showed us the cute little baby.

Another reporter: The people long to see the little princess, can you tell us more about what she looks like?

Mistress of the Robes Alice Trolle-Weichtmeister: I would like to say, if you see old pictures, old pictures of when the Crownprincess was a little baby. She looks just like her mother. Exactly. With the dark hair, and... well everything. It's amazing!

Another reporter: Was she asleep when you saw her?

Mistress of the Robes Alice Trolle-Weichtmeister: No, she had just been fed and newly changed and yawned a little adorably, like kittens can do too.

Another, another reporter: Frederik Reinfeldt, how did it feeel to be apart of this very special thing?

Prime minister Frederik Reinfeldt: It has been very special to follow them, from the crownprincess couple's wedding, and now getting a new little heir, a little princess. We were told about cermonies that we barely knew exsisted, and have had to look for old seals and such. Just like the Speaker said, it's a way of showing how Sweden is, its a monarchy, it's a royal family but it's also a democracy, so in that way we acknowledges this with this cermony and I think it's great that we continue to do this.

Another reporter: Is it really within reason that even this child needs to be queen? (AN: note, this man can not be heard, he just mumbles.)

Prime minister Frederik Reinfeldt: Well the type of government follows the succesion order, and it says in our laws... and as long as we don't change that, and I believe that it shows that the contitutional monarchy has the full support of the swedish government, where the laws for the monarchy has been laid out.

Speaker of the Parliament Per Westerberg: We recently changed the law, and we won't change it again, since it takes a long time between voting and such.

HA! Just noticed that the english translation on the Swedish RF website of the announcement of the birth says "His Royal Highness Crown Princess Victoria"

Even the Kings sisters were absent today. Christina was said to show up for the te deum but she didn't. SVT had talked to Princess Desirée and Princess Birgitta and they both said they will come to the christening :)

Hans-Rickard said:
I don't now how they react but i'ts defentiely not childish to react like that ! Herman Lindqvist loves to present himself as a good friend of the royal family and an admirer of Victoria, yet he can be so rude to her and show so extremly little respect for her ! As i said earlier, the problem is not that he is against the names, Estelle and Mary was totally unexpected names. The problem is that he is so rude and has spent the whole day to make some idiotic statements. He even said "the young couple" (read victoria and daniel) is not capable to choose name for their own kids and should take advice from more competent people in the staff to the royal court ! I don't find it surprising if the royal family reacts with anger. But they will defenitely not say anything through the newspapers like Herman did.

Oh, I wasn't aware he's made several statements. He seems to think too highly of himself. It's a pity. I've always enjoyed his books and tv series and thought he was a nice man. Now I'm not sure. I thought he had just blurted something out without thinking once (which would of course be wrong too but still understandable in a way, we all make mistakes) but it seems this is something more. I was a little surprised yesterday when SVT called him in Paris for a comment on the birth and he seemed annoyed, almost angry that they interrupted him while he was writing his memoirs...

I'm quite starting to get used to Estelle and the rest of the names. In the end it is the family's choice and we must respect it. I don't blame the family if Mr. Lindqvist will be treated a bit icy from now on.

Last edited:
I have a friend who works in medical records. She recently had to process a birth certificate for a baby girl named A'blessin. :eek:

In contrast, Estelle is a very lovely and dignified name.
I have a cousin who named her little girl Nevaeh. It's supposwed to be "heaven" spelled backwards. Go figure! why not just name the kid "heaven"? It's much better than what they came up with. CAn you imagine how many times this kid is gonna go thru life correcting people on the pronoucetion of her name! Of course, I really do not like this cousin at all, so that may be why I find this name irritating!:bang:

Yes that is also my guess.
As it is the way for all Belgian princes and princesses. They all have the name Marie/Maria in there name.

Having the name Marie/Maria among baptismal names is a very common thing in European catholic aristocratic circles.

Given the unpredictable nature of when a baby chooses to make its appearance, Madeleine's absence was understandable. The court had announced that the baby was due in March. Perhaps Madeleine already made plans to travel to Sweden but little Estelle arrived earlier than expected. But now we'll have to watch and see if she attends the baptism. She'll have no excuse for not attending.

However, for someone like Herman Lindqvist to publicly criticize the baby's names is extremely rude. The fact that he personally knows Victoria makes it worse. If he had an objection, he should have spoken to her privately instead of publishing his views for all to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom