It's A Girl for Victoria and Daniel! Estelle Silvia Ewa Mary: February 23, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect Victoria`s ``friendship`` with Herman will be going through a cold spell for awhile.

Completely agree with Thena on everything. I'm sure no-one expected Madeleine to arrive immediately. She has her own life as well. And the christening is definitely something she cannot miss.

As for Mr. Lindqvist, that is not something you do to a friend. He should get off his high horse and apologize. He knows history, I'm surprised it hasn't taught him anything.

As for Mary as a godmother, if Victoria and Daniel have planned for either Hakon of Norway and/or Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands as one of the godfathers, it makes sence with Mary from Denmark.

This is what i think to, makes perfect sence.

Having the name Marie/Maria among baptismal names is a very common thing in European catholic aristocratic circles.

But the swedish royal family isn't catholic, so that can't be the reason why they choose Mary.

As far as I know, the rules were changed last year, so that if William and Kate's first born is a girl, she will not be displaced by a future younger brother.
That's how I understood it as well. They changed law.

And congrats to Victoria and Daniel:flowers:

What I was wondering was why they pronounced Mary so strangely. I thought they'd use the English pronounciation but at least when the King said it, it came out 'Maery' or something. Like the 'a' was pronounced like the Finnish letter 'ä' or to give a better example, like 'a' in the word 'cat'.

What I was wondering was why they pronounced Mary so strangely. I thought they'd use the English pronounciation but at least when the King said it, it came out 'Maery' or something. Like the 'a' was pronounced like the Finnish letter 'ä' or to give a better example, like 'a' in the word 'cat'.

I think that it's cute, they say it like if it was in swedish, so it sounds like when you say ”I am going to marry a prince”.

I must admitt, that the name has grown on me. But, I still wish that they could have added a ”Margareta” or something so that she could do like the english kings and pick and choose what name she wanted to have.

The name Estelle per se sounds very nice, but in France it has a rather show bizzy ring to it, not very aristocratic, I'm afraid... But from what I could see, it sounds really cute for the Swedes and that's all that matters.

The name does grow on you slowly. I still have a problem with the rhythm of the name. Short names in the end make it sound unbalanced a bit. Estelle Silvia Ewa Margareta would've sounded better, even if the Ewa is left alone in the middle as a very short name.

I don't know if families have unspoken 'rules' when it comes to naming (which of course are broken every once in a while, also in my family). We've had a rule that name that starts with a vowel should not be preceded by a name that ends with the same vowel because it sounds a bit silly and makes it hard to pronounce (now that I think about it, it might apply to a name ending with a consonant as well). Other than that there are no rules but we have some names (with their variants) that have been used in several generations that we try to include.

Last edited:
Estelle's mother will be Queen Victoria someday, so maybe, she'll pick Mary and be Queen Mary. King Carl is the nephew of Denmark's Queen Ingrid, who started out as Princess Ingrid of Sweden, and her mother, Margaret(Margareta in Sweden) was a granddaughter of Britain's Queen Vicky. So, all those European royal families are related somehow through Queen Victoria. Is Estelle's last name just Bernadotte or Bernadotte-Westling or Westling- Bernadotte, like some of the Windsors are Mountbatten-Windsor?

Well Mary isn't a Swedish name either so that would be odd. Also she likely will be in her 50's or more before coming to the throne so it would be odd to decide to reign under a different name after having your people know you as estelle for so long.

Is Estelle's last name just Bernadotte or Bernadotte-Westling or Westling- Bernadotte, like some of the Windsors are Mountbatten-Windsor?
As she is born a princess she doesn't have any surname in Sweden, the same way as her mother doesn't have a surname. She is princess Estelle of Sweden of the royal Bernadotte dynasty.

Catharina said:
Oh, I wasn't aware he's made several statements. He seems to think too highly of himself. It's a pity. I've always enjoyed his books and tv series and thought he was a nice man. Now I'm not sure. I thought he had just blurted something out without thinking once (which would of course be wrong too but still understandable in a way, we all make mistakes) but it seems this is something more. I was a little surprised yesterday when SVT called him in Paris for a comment on the birth and he seemed annoyed, almost angry that they interrupted him while he was writing his memoirs...

I'm quite starting to get used to Estelle and the rest of the names. In the end it is the family's choice and we must respect it. I don't blame the family if Mr. Lindqvist will be treated a bit icy from now on.

I agree. You don't say things like that to the media if you consider yourself as a friend of the family.
I liked Herman too but this "statements" nearly destroyed all my respect for him.

Last edited:
What's wrong with the name Estelle? I think it's quite nice considering she is part of the European royal families who tend to name their kids gawd awful and boring names.
Just to clarify, am I reading correctly that the 3rd name is Ewa? Is that a Swedish name?

I thought he said it in English. I think it's the way people would say it where I live(United States, state of Michigan). I think people's accents influence how they will perceive his pronunciation.

I'm curious about other people's perceptions of the King's pronunciation.

What's wrong with the name Estelle? I think it's quite nice considering she is part of the European royal families who tend to name their kids gawd awful and boring names.
Just to clarify, am I reading correctly that the 3rd name is Ewa? Is that a Swedish name?

Ewa is Daniels mothers name, the w is pronounced as v as in Eva.

European royals tend not to go in for trendy American names like Ivy Blue, Lemon, Apple, Tiffany, Paris, Coco, etc.

Last edited:
Americans tend not to go for those names either, thanx for the false stereotype. I don't understand why there is a disassociation with the ideal that you can be different when choosing a name without being stupid. Princess Margaret had a unique name when she was born, Margaret Rose.

P.S. can anyone point me to the post which mentions whatever this Herman guy said about the name of Victoria? The thread appears to have jumped from 14 to 40 in a day, and there is no way I can go through the whole thing.

Last edited:
I suspect Victoria`s ``friendship`` with Herman will be going through a cold spell for awhile.

Well, I had the impression, that he was completely surprised by this unusual name.
I guess, that he as a historian/teacher simply expected a "traditional name" from a former Swedish Queen (many of those names have been mentionned in the previous posts) -- and as the surprise was out as he was asked "live" in an immediate reaction he was saying the first thing that came to his mind.... as that was very harsh, to be honest.

How does the other Swedes/newspapers react about this name????

I must say: I was more than surprised, too, but the more often I hear the name the more I really like it. :flowers::flowers::flowers:
Princess Estelle, Crown Princess Estelle, Queen Estelle, yeah, that sounds more and more fluent to me.
And: if we then have a face to the name (I hope for some pictures today) , everybody will get used to it soon.
BYe Bine

XeniaCasaraghi said:
Americans tend not to go for those names either, thanx for the false stereotype.

I had to laugh at the implication (as I read it) that "Estelle" is a "trendy, American" name. In the 1920s maybe... : )

Americans tend not to go for those names either, thanx for the false stereotype. I don't understand why there is a disassociation with the ideal that you can be different when choosing a name without being stupid. Princess Margaret had a unique name when she was born, Margaret Rose.

LOL, well apparently Americans dont go in for very nontraditional names afterall. I just checked and the 3 most popular girls names are Isabella, Sofia and Emma......all of which are used by European royals.
Since you have raised the point before what exactly is an example of a nontraditional different name that would be appropriate for a royal to use bearing in mind that they may one day be a monarch??

Is Silvia a common Swedish name? I ask because I was shocked and happy to hear that there was a Queen Silvia in Europe as well as a Queen Beatrix, one of whom was born royal and with such a name. I tend to think that the idea that Estelle doesn't sound "queenly" is just due to the fact that such a name hasn't been common for a queen before. A real un-queenly name would be Bambi, Chelsy, Kitty, Lisa, Candace and others. Estelle, at least to me, seems respectable, not too much like an old lady name, yet with a fresh feeling about it.

LOL, well apparently Americans dont go in for very nontraditional names afterall. I just checked and the 3 most popular girls names are Isabella, Sofia and Emma......all of which are used by European royals.
Since you have raised the point before what exactly is an example of a nontraditional different name that would be appropriate for a royal to use bearing in mind that they may one day be a monarch??

All the royal family has to do is look back in their history and STOP reusing Elizabeth, Charles, George and Mary every freakin generation. There are a few beautiful names of monarchs and consorts which have not been used enough, one of which is Victoria. Whether it was British sounding during her time, in the 21st century it is a name associated with a much loved British Queen. There is a way to be traditional without being boring.

Last edited:
Charles hadn't been used for centuries in the BRF so when Princess Elizabeth named her son it was far from traditional. The only Georges that I know of amongst current reigning royals is the Earl of St Andrews (son of the Duke of Kent) and a younger son of the hereditary Prince of Liechtenstein, the last Mary in the BRF was a daughter of George V and she died in 1965. The only current royal I know with that name is the Crown Princess of Denmark but she wasnt born a royal. The Duke of York names his daughters Beatrice and Eugenie which while not terribly traditional hark back to Queen Victorias daughters.

You want to discuss this futher you will have to PM, me this is about Victoria's daughter, not the boredom that runs through the British royal families veins. I never said all of them were boring, Andrew himself has a unique but traditional name so I applaud him for naming his daughters something different. There have been 2 King Charles, 8 King Henry's, 4 King William's, 2 monarch's named Elizabeth, plus the Queen mother who Elizabeth II was named after and the fact that Elizabeth has to be one of the most overused British names in history. It has to be second to Mary. The only unique, non-traditional, non ancient sounding names in the family are Margaret Rose, Andrew, Beatrice and Eugenie and the married names, Diana, Camilla, Sophie, Catherine. All I am saying is that out of a 1000yr history, repeating and reuising the overused names could be thrown out for at least a generation or two. There are other names in the history of British Kings and Queen's that could be resurrected to at least stop the boredom. Though they are not as bad as the constant Louis' in the French Royal history or the Danish back and forth of Frederick and Christian.

Is it a tradition to use the two grandmother names in the child name or was it by choice?

Is it a tradition to use the two grandmother names in the child name or was it by choice?
Crownprincess names includes Alice which came from both her grand mothers.

Princess Sibylla was also named Maria, Princess Lilian is also named May. They are both variations of Mary.

Herman Lindqvist said yesterday evening to Svenska Dagbladet that he is very sorry for Victoria, if he hurt her by criticizing the names. But he still stays in his words.
Historian Dick Harrison does not agree with Lindqvist. The choice of the name is certainly a breach of the Swedish tradition, but a choice that the crown princess couple had every right in the world to do, he says.
- It is a very surprising name, and it reveals that they wanted to add a personal touch to the name, just like they did with their wedding. It reflects an expression of will which you have to feel sympathy for, said Dick Harrison
- The traditional and almost obligatory previously been traditional names, the queen's name as Margaret, Kristina and Ulrika. Now they choose a new name, which is very unusual, but I think it's bull**** that they as parents can not choose any name they want. There are no rules as to what name they have to choose.
"Ledsen om jag sårat henne" | Inrikes | SvD
Google translation

Photos from Te Deum
Te Deum-gudstjänsten i bilder | Svensk Damtidning

Last edited:
XeniaCasaraghi said:
You want to discuss this futher you will have to PM, me this is about Victoria's daughter, not the boredom that runs through the British royal families veins. I never said all of them were boring, Andrew himself has a unique but traditional name so I applaud him for naming his daughters something different. There have been 2 King Charles, 8 King Henry's, 4 King William's, 2 monarch's named Elizabeth, plus the Queen mother who Elizabeth II was named after and the fact that Elizabeth has to be one of the most overused British names in history. It has to be second to Mary. The only unique, non-traditional, non ancient sounding names in the family are Margaret Rose, Andrew, Beatrice and Eugenie and the married names, Diana, Camilla, Sophie, Catherine. All I am saying is that out of a 1000yr history, repeating and reuising the overused names could be thrown out for at least a generation or two. There are other names in the history of British Kings and Queen's that could be resurrected to at least stop the boredom. Though they are not as bad as the constant Louis' in the French Royal history or the Danish back and forth of Frederick and Christian.

You call it boredom, some call it tradition. It's all a matter of opinion. Estelle is a unique name, and IMO it's also an awful name for a future Queen.

On a side note, my friend has a young daughter names Estelle, and they call the little sweet toddler "Stella" for a nick name, which I think is sweet, especially during her childhood. Maybe the little princess will have a nickname too?

Folke Bernadotte, son of Estelle Bernadotte, says that he is very honoured about that the little princess was named Estelle. The king´s mother Sibylla and Estelle were very good friends. He knows that Victoria has met Estelle in her childhood. Estelle is uncommon name in Sweden, and that tbe princess and future Queen was named Estelle is impressive, says Bernadotte.
”Är väldigt hedrande” | Nyheter | Aftonbladet

Lars Kruthof, an expert on the Swedish royal family and the Bernadotte dynasty was very surprised about the name. it feels like the monarchy in Sweden has been modernized since the wedding of Victoria and Daniel.
- It feels now as if the more common and normal Victoria and Daniel are, the better. Popularity is in the deal. I think it's great for the monarchy.
Experten: "Jag blev väldigt förvånad" | Nyheter | Expressen
Google translation

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom