Crown Princess Victoria's Official Visit to Australia: March 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not particularly fond of the purple dress. It looked like someone bleached the middle portion of the dress.

I first saw the a photo of Victoria from the waist up at the Swedish Style dinner and I said "WOW",:D and then I saw the rest of the gown.:( I am really not a fan of iredescent dresses part of the dress, that is my only complaint. I loveher hair (no ponytail!!!--yay!:p ), make up and jewelry.

Congrats to her for having a such successful trip!!

Thanks to all for the photos and articles.

Thanks for the photos and the articles! That dress is stunning. Too bad about the watermark though. Boo to the lighting. It makes it shine so much! But besides that she looks gorgeous.

Love her shadow in that one photo! Neat.

Thank you everyone for the photos. I am impressed by what Victoria wore last night. From what I can see (my internet is playing up and I can't open all the photos :() she isn't wearing those dodgy white shoes, and the equally dodgy ponytail is nowhere to be seen. I'm happy! The dress is really beautiful, and the detailing at the top really made the dress. It would have been a little boring otherwise. I don't know about yesterday's dress now. It was nice, but there was something I didn't like about it. I know, I am fussy and complain about everything. :p

HMQueenElizabethII said:
Really nice photo thanks Danielle.
I'm sorry. I didn't post that photo. That was one of the ones GrandDuchess posted.

Some photos from today (Getty)
1. SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA: Sweden's Crown Princess Victoria, laughs as she is helped from a launch onto a jetty after arriving at the Australian National Maritime Museum in Sydney, 18 March 2005, to open the Swedish design exhibition "4Stories".
2. Sweden's Princess Victoria (C), helped by New South Wales Governor Marie Bashir (L), cuts a ribbon at the Australian National Maritime Museum in Sydney, 18 March 2005, to open the Swedish design exhibition "4Stories".
3. SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA: Sweden's Princess Victoria (R), accompanied by New South Wales Governor Marie Bashir (L) and other dignitaries, walks down a red carpet after arriving at the Australian National Maritime Museum in Sydney.
4. SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA: Sweden's Princess Victoria waves to members of the Swedish community as she arrives by launch at the Australian National Maritime Museum in Sydney.
5. SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA: Sweden's Princess Victoria (C), is helped from a launch onto a jetty after arriving at the Australian National Maritime Museum.
6 and 7. Sweden's Princess Victoria (front with flowers), is greeted by members of the Swedish community after arriving at the Australian National Maritime Museum in Sydney.

Attachments

• Vic2.jpg
    Vic2.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 220
  • Vic3.jpg
    Vic3.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 224
  • Vic4.jpg
    Vic4.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 179
  • Vic5.jpg
    Vic5.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 193
  • Vic6.jpg
    Vic6.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 268
  • Vic7.jpg
    Vic7.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 161
  • Vic1.jpg
    Vic1.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 196
Two more pics from Cover.

Agree, the dress is indeed beautiful. I, especially like the beading around the neckline upto the waist. Except, she should really change the shoes. White shoes don't really go with the dress.

Attachments

• K110161_01.jpg
    K110161_01.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 226
  • K110161_07.jpg
    K110161_07.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
She's still wearing those terrible shoes again. I willl personally go and buy her a new pair. I really like what she is wearing though. Such a nice dress and it looks so lovely on her. Thank you pdas for the photos. :)

Danielle said:
She's still wearing those terrible shoes again. I willl personally go and buy her a new pair. I really like what she is wearing though. Such a nice dress and it looks so lovely on her. Thank you pdas for the photos. :)

You are most welcome, Danielle and Thank You for posting such wonderful photos of Victoria.

Let's both drag her shoe-shopping and get her some wonderful pairs of shoes Also, take this white pair and incinerate them, so they are gone for good.

pdas1201 said:
You are most welcome, Danielle and Thank You for posting such wonderful photos of Victoria.

Let's both drag her shoe-shopping and get her some wonderful pairs of shoes Also, take this white pair and incinerate them, so they are gone for good.
What a wonderful idea! I'm in. :) I think a pair in a more suitable colour would have gone better with some of her outfits. There is only so much white goes with, and that design is very limiting. I know I shouldn't over-analyse her shoes, but they annoy me so much, and I think everyone knows that by now. There are some really great boutique stores near her hotel, so hopefully she will stop in a few of them before she goes home.

sorry if these have already been posted

Attachments

• v3.jpg
    v3.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 166
  • v4.jpg
    v4.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 193
  • v2.jpg
    v2.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 160
  • v1.jpg
    v1.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 303
Article from SMH

This is from today's Sydney Morning Herald.

Apart from the headline it is a very sympathetic, and intersting, story. Victoria reveals a bit about herself, and comes across as vulnerable and endearing.
Sweet.
Queen's training begins in the kitchen

By Jordan Baker 18 March 2005:

When the Swedish embassy sent Crown Princess Victoria a suggested itinerary for her trip to Australia, she was not pleased. "You are not working me hard enough," she said.

Unlike other royal visitors, the tireless heir to the Swedish throne left herself little time for sightseeing during a 10-day visit to promote the Swedish Style in Australia festival.

Her final schedule involved 36 official events, including business seminars, an Abba musical, a trade fair and a talk on design innovations and home appliances at the Swedish company Electrolux. "When I go on trips like this I try to be as efficient as possible," the 27-year-old said on the second last working day of her visit. "It's a lot, but I like it. I'm having fun, too."

Princess Victoria became first in line to the Swedish throne at the age of two, when the country changed its constitution to allow a woman to be monarch even if she had a younger brother.

As part of her training, she has studied political science at Yale, worked as an intern at the United Nations and is now doing a course in crisis management and conflict resolution.

"There's no such thing as a school of queens," she said. "You try to learn as much as possible about so many different things in order to be able to talk to everyone and understand what they're talking to you about.

"It's difficult to be in the spotlight, yes, but you sort of get used to it as well. What I see as difficult is to live up to the expectations ... and help Swedish companies and Sweden in the most efficient and best ways possible and do my best."

Lessons in diplomacy are paying dividends. When asked her views on an Australian republic, she replied: "I am not supposed to have any political views. So I'm sorry, I'm passing on that one."

Princess Victoria believes it is harder for people not born into royalty, such as Australian-born Crown Princess Mary of Denmark, to cope with the pressures of the job.

"My advice [to Mary] would be to be herself and try to find balance in life, which is hard sometimes for all of us," she said.

"I've felt particularly that living up to people's expectations was one thing, but it was hard to live up to my own expectations and maybe I had too high goals. But you learn. Hopefully."

Josefine said:
wonder what earings she talks about did she wear the one she got as a present at her 27th birthday?

It wouldn´t surprise me, when all earrings, she has worn in the past during the days, were designed of Madeleine.

Thank you so much for the pictures and articles, Danielle, Monalisa, pdas, smudge and Warren :) :) :)

BUNTE is comparing Mary´s and Victoria´s styles in Australia directly. Photo-show ("weiter" means "forward" and "zurück" means "back"):

http://www.bunte.t-online.de/c/37/08/35/3708350,pt=self,si=0.html

The article to the photoshow (BUNTE seems to be really fond of Daniel Westling. According to them, or a smitten journalist working for BUNTE, he would be Victoria´s best "accessoire" ;) )... on the top (right corner) you can vote for the princess, who had the best look in Australia (Options: 1. Victoria...2. Mary and 3. "Am schicksten sind die Koalas!" = "The koalas look chicest" ;) ) I suggest to vote for Victoria. Mary is a person, who seems to have a natural and big interest for style. There nothing needs to be "encouraged"
http://www.bunte.t-online.de/c/37/08/02/3708020.html

Governor-General Micheal Jeffrey and wife Mrs Jeffrey hosted a luncheon for Crown Princess Victoria in the Admiralty House in Kirribily just opposite the Opera House today, 18 March. From Fotomarktplatz:

Attachments

• 12353579.jpg
    12353579.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 227
  • 1424674689.jpg
    1424674689.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 236
  • 2353599023.jpg
    2353599023.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 235
  • 2435590.jpg
    2435590.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 248
  • 24527913153.jpg
    24527913153.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 269
Thank you for the pictures, GrandDuchess :)

I admit one of my many gaps in education (call me Westling ;) ): I´m really confused of the Australian system of government. In the past days I´ve heard of governor Bashir, premier Carr and now governor-general Jeffrey. As I get it, at least the first two are heads of new south wales (?)
Why a governor and why a premier for new south wales? Usually I´m used to governors for federal states/counties and premiers/prime ministers for the complete state/country.

i'm not too sure about the red dress victoria wore.
however, i do like the way she wore her hair, very different to what we are used to from this princess. :)

Crown Princess Victoria at the Australian National Maritime Museum in Sydney today, 18 March. Pictures from AAP:

Attachments

• 12424786123.jpg
    12424786123.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 277
  • 23579235135.jpg
    23579235135.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 173
  • 242467468.jpg
    242467468.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 192
  • 4646892351253.jpg
    4646892351253.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 259
oooh i like the bag.
and are those the white shoes that you guys dread seeing her in so much?

GrandDuchess said:
Crown Princess Victoria at the Australian National Maritime Museum in Sydney today, 18 March. Pictures from AAP:

Is it just me, or is ETW watching quite skeptically, how her protégé is getting out of the boat in the first picture? ;)

You've got to be joking!

Lena said:
Is it just me, or is ETW watching quite skeptically, how her protégé is getting out of the boat in the first picture? ;)

I bet she's saying "Forget it boys, no way am I getting off the boat like that!"

Nettavisen in Norway has yet another article about Victoria (This is what happen when you dump the pinstriped suit:p ). The article is basically the article about Victorias new style translated by Lena, but it has a nice pictureshow with big pictures without watermark at the bottom of the article. Thr Article is called "Victoria charmes everyone":D

Kronprinsesse_Victo_185007m.jpg

http://pub.tv2.no/nettavisen/side2/mote/article362893.ece

As for the Bunte Victoria-Mary poll it is very easy for me to vote for Victoria, not only because I like her very much and she dressed better than usual but I accually prefered her style in 6\7 pictures posted. The red dress was beautiful from the waiste up and the hair perfect but the bottom was to shiny for my taste, and I still think the red dress is the best dress Mary has ever worn.

Lena said:
Thank you for the pictures, GrandDuchess :)

I admit one of my many gaps in education (call me Westling ;) ): I´m really confused of the Australian system of government. In the past days I´ve heard of governor Bashir, premier Carr and now governor-general Jeffrey. As I get it, at least the first two are heads of new south wales (?)
Why a governor and why a premier for new south wales? Usually I´m used to governors for federal states/counties and premiers/prime ministers for the complete state/country.

Thanks for the photos and articles, everybody.

Each of the six states in Australia has a governor-general. Australia on a national level has a governor-general. They are appointed by the Prime Minister. But they represent the head of state who I understand does not live in Australia. Maybe in the future a head of state will. :) But the Queen of Australia lives far away. It´s largely a ceremonial role these days for the governor-general of each state. But the national governor-general has a much bigger role in that they sign legislation and appoint judges and ministers while listening to the advice of the prime minister and other ministers. They rarely act on their own volition. Now there are also premiers of each state in Australia. They are normally members of state legistlatures first. Thus, they are elected politicians. The party that holds the majority in the state legislature picks who is premier for each state. Or if there is a coalition government, they will decide among themselves who is the premier. It wouldn´t necessarily follow that the party in the coalition with the most representatives would have one of their members as Premier but it just generally works out that way. And thus, the person picked by premier is head of the statewide government. They do statewide what the Prime minister does on a national scale.

State Governors

Dennism said:
Each of the six states in Australia has a governor-general. Australia on a national level has a governor-general. They are appointed by the Prime Minister. .

Close, but...

Each of the States has a Governor representing the Sovereign, appointed by the Queen (on the advice of the State Government).

The Governor-General of Australia is also appointed by the Queen, on the advice of the Prime Minister. In effect he or she is the Sovereign's viceroy.

The leader of the political party with a majority in the Lower House of a State Parliament becomes the Premier of that state.

The G-G and the State Governors possess the reserve powers of the Crown; ie they can prorogue the Parliament, withhold Royal Assent for legislation passed by the Parliament so that it does not become law, withdraw the commission - ie dismiss - the Premier (NSW 1931) or the Prime Minister (1975), refuse to allow a Premier to call an election before the term of the Parliament expires (Queensland 1980s), refuse to swear in Ministers or sign Executive Orders (or send them back) etc etc.

The role of Governors and the G-G may be ceremonial, but they have latent power, if they choose to exercise it. Certainly far more power than, say, the King of Sweden.

The other interesting point is that each State has its own constitution under the Crown, which, theoretically, could mean that if Australia became a republic (ugh!), some States could maintain their allegiance to the Crown. For example, the Queensland State constitution has a provision entrenching the position of the Crown. So, we could end up with a President of Australia (ugh!) and a Queen (or King) of Queensland.

Very messy; and as no-one was able to agree on what powers a president should have, how to elect or appoint him/her, and what to do with the Reserve Powers of the Crown, the republic referendum failed (yay!).

Warren said:
Close, but...

Each of the States has a Governor representing the Sovereign, appointed by the Queen (on the advice of the State Government).

The Governor-General of Australia is also appointed by the Queen, on the advice of the Prime Minister. In effect he or she is the Sovereign's viceroy.

The leader of the political party with a majority in the Lower House of a State Parliament becomes the Premier of that state.

The G-G and the State Governors possess the reserve powers of the Crown; ie they can prorogue the Parliament, withhold Royal Assent for legislation passed by the Parliament so that it does not become law, withdraw the commission - ie dismiss - the Premier (NSW 1931) or the Prime Minister (1975), refuse to allow a Premier to call an election before the term of the Parliament expires (Queensland 1980s), refuse to swear in Ministers or sign Executive Orders (or send them back) etc etc.

The role of Governors and the G-G may be ceremonial, but they have latent power, if they choose to exercise it. Certainly far more power than, say, the King of Sweden.

The other interesting point is that each State has its own constitution under the Crown, which, theoretically, could mean that if Australia became a republic (ugh!), some States could maintain their allegiance to the Crown. For example, the Queensland State constitution has a provision entrenching the position of the Crown. So, we could end up with a President of Australia (ugh!) and a Queen (or King) of Queensland.

Very messy; and as no-one was able to agree on what powers a president should have, how to elect or appoint him/her, and what to do with the Reserve Powers of the Crown, the republic referendum failed (yay!).
Very well said. Thanks! It gets a little confusing at times, but it's just one of those things you have to learn. It made for some really interesting lessons at school, I can tell you. I take it you aren't a Republican then, Warren. ;)

As If!

Danielle said:
I take it you aren't a Republican then, Warren. ;)

Danielle

Please refrain from using offensive language.

:) :) :)

W

Warren said:
I bet she's saying "Forget it boys, no way am I getting off the boat like that!"

:D Probably

Thank you for the article, Larzen (I love the photos) and thank you to Warren and Dennis for answering my question :) I`m positively surprised, that the queen plays a bigger role in Australia, than I´ve thought.

No pics today?

Small interview from Aftonbladet:

Here is a small interview with Crown Princess Victoria that Aftonbladet did during her Australia trip. Lena and I have translated it for you, here you go....

NYHETER-17s09-Koala3-303.jpg

VICTORIA: I’ve found myself.
The Crown Princess about her job, the media and mother Silvia.

SYDNEY. Victoria tells that she admires her mother, Queen Silvia - and that she herself tries to be a role model for young girls.
- I’ve found a balance in my life and I have found myself.

Hello Victoria, it has been very busy days here in Australia
-Yes, there has been a lot. But I’ve enjoyed it as well, so those aren’t just a lot of duties.

Don’t you ever get tired?
-Yes, afterwards. But there are always a few hours left, in which I can relax in the hotel room.

What has been the most interesting during your journey?
-The meeting with the koalas. It isn’t a big secret that I’m a big friend of animals. I watch a lot of nature programmes on TV and I would gladly come back here to experience the animal life. But I would like to skip the sharks; I’m terrified of them, haha.

In the limelight

How would you describe your daily life as Crown Princess?
-There are official duties, which I try to help my parents with as much as possible. Now I’m also studying crisis management and conflict resolution.

Is it a tough job?
- Yes, because I’m constantly in the limelight. What can be hard is to live up to everybody’s expectations. Today I have found a balance in life where I have found myself. Before it was hard, because I put so high demands on myself. Today I have another attitude.

Millions of pictures have been taken of you. Aren’t you tired of constantly being photographed?
- No, but afterwards one just things: Didn’t the pictures get any better than this, ha ha…

One day you will become Queen, with all that it means. How do you see that?
- There is no Queen school, so it’s a bit difficult. But I try to learn as much as possible to be able to speak to- and understand people.

Not media trained

The past few years we have seen a sharper and more articulate Victoria. Are you media trained?
- No, but I’m sure it could be needed to make meetings with journalists easier. Perhaps I should learn a few tricks.

Do you see yourself as a role model to young Swedish girls?
- I don’t know really, but I try to be one. I hope I am.

Do you admire someone yourself?
- I admire my mother, and the deceased Queen Ingrid of Denmark. She was a gifted and clearheaded woman.

Thank you GrandDuchess and Lena for translating the article. It is very much appreciated. :)

Here is a small article I found about her happenings yesterday:

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Belize it or not the Alfreds had a touch of Royalty today [/font]
spacer.gif
blackline.gif

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sat, 19 Mar 2005
[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]This morning the Royal Prince Alfred Yacht Club was graced with the presence of Royalty when Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden stepped onto Club member Marcus Blackmore's cruiser 'Belize' for a leisurely day on Pittwater.

There was brilliant sunshine on the Northern Beaches and Sydney and Pittwater sailors turned on a good show as they raced in the Palm Beach Regatta in both inshore and offshore races.

[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]by Nicole Amos [/font]

http://www.sail-world.com/index.cfm?Nid=16769

I am very surprised that there were no photos from yesterday. I guess the photographers are enjoying their weekend. What is she doing today?

Danielle said:
I am very surprised that there were no photos from yesterday. I guess the photographers are enjoying their weekend. What is she doing today?

According to royalcourt.se her programme today (for you yesterday) was private. She has mingled with swedish designers and she has watched a show of dancing aborigines (Bangarra dance company-> http://www.bangarra.com.au/home.html )

After 9 stressful days, I would say she has deserved some privacy (but I wouldn´t mind to see a Westlingish easter-kiss part II soon ;) )

Lena said:
According to royalcourt.se her programme today (for you yesterday) was private. She has mingled with swedish designers and she has watched a show of dancing aborigines (Bangarra dance company-> http://www.bangarra.com.au/home.html )
Thank you. Ah, it explains why there were no photos. She would have had fun watching the dancing. It's really amazing to watch. I wonder if she has been taught how to throw a boomerang yet. It could come in handy.;)

After 9 stressful days, I would say she has deserved some privacy (but I wouldn´t mind to see a Westlingish easter-kiss part II soon ;) )
Ha ha ha. "Westlingish". It sounds like a science theory. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom