Duke of Edinburgh to Retire from Public Engagements in August: May 4, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
His medals... I wonder if the count matches! And the note at the corner:ROFLMAO:

If we count his foreign ribbons, I think they missed one or two ....dozen :ROFLMAO:

But definitely fitting comic.

I think if the DoE was to wear each and every ribbon and medal he's ever gotten all at one time, he'd resemble Queen Alexandra who I think takes the cake as far as bedecking herself out in as many jewels as she possibly could. :D

I know that Dman has posted a DF article about it in the Current Events thread, but I choose to post this here:
Prince Philip's final public engagement set for early August, Buckingham Palace announces - ITV News
A palace spokeswoman said the parade would "bring His Royal Highness's individual programme to a conclusion".

However, she added that the Duke "may choose to attend certain events, alongside the Queen, from time to time".
1. Exactly! And that's why it's wrong to call this a retirement.

2. And with Philip being Philip, I reckon that we are still going to se a lot of him accompanying the Queen.

I think by announcing a retirement, as it was stated, Philip isn't going to be scheduling any kind of engagements such as reviewing troops, opening a new wing of a hospital or any of those things that people would have requested Philip for and fill his appointment book.

He's not going into seclusion on one of the royal estates never to be seen again. Most likely he'll be there with HM at the Braemer Games and garden parties and Ascot and at dinner engagements where his favorite foods would be on the menu. He just gets to pick and choose what he'd like to do rather than scheduling an appointment book with events. :D

Yeah I hardly think he's going to go sit in a chair while the Queen is out and about.

LaRae

He is 96 and if the palace say he's retiring, it means no organisation can call on him for events.

We wont see him as often. I think Remembrance Sunday is still going to happen. But little else.

I think the main reason for announcing his 'retirement" is so that he can pick and choose what to attend and what not to attend without there being media hysteria if he cancels an appearance or doesn't show at something he usual does.
He won't attend a string of events for charities etc but I agree things like Remembrance Sunday may still go ahead (maybe he will watch from the balcony rather than be an active part of the ceremony) and I think he may attend more family centred things like ascot and Trooping the Colour if he feels up to it.

I'm thinking we'll see him at things like Remembrance Sunday, Christmas Day (although he might elect to ride with the Queen instead of walk), the Trooping, Ascot, and the Braemer Games. Maybe garden parties, although I wouldn't bet on those (I think they're probably more work than they appear).

I think the main reason for announcing his 'retirement" is so that he can pick and choose what to attend and what not to attend without there being media hysteria if he cancels an appearance or doesn't show at something he usual does.
He won't attend a string of events for charities etc but I agree things like Remembrance Sunday may still go ahead (maybe he will watch from the balcony rather than be an active part of the ceremony) and I think he may attend more family centred things like ascot and Trooping the Colour if he feels up to it.

That I think is the most plausible explanation.

He is now under no obligation to attend anything, but he might.

I suspect that he may make an appearance on the 20th November if there is a public event for the 70th wedding anniversary but then again having made this announcement it is possible that they will celebrate totally privately.

Agree! He would not longer accept invitations and will no longer carry out individual engagements, but the palace doesn't say anything about a retirement in these two announcements, and as long as he is up to it, I think we will se him (as the palace says) at some of the Queen's engagements (not just the big one as the trooping etc).

The press release from May 4th:
https://www.royal.uk/announcement-regarding-duke-edinburgh
His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh has decided that he will no longer carry out public engagements from the autumn of this year. In taking this decision, The Duke has the full support of The Queen.

Prince Philip will attend previously scheduled engagements between now and August, both individually and accompanying The Queen. Thereafter, The Duke will not be accepting new invitations for visits and engagements, although he may still choose to attend certain public events from time to time.

The Duke of Edinburgh is Patron, President or a member of over 780 organisations, with which he will continue to be associated, although he will no longer play an active role by attending engagements.

Her Majesty will continue to carry out a full programme of official engagements with the support of members of the Royal Family.
The statement from today:
https://www.royal.uk/duke-edinburgh-attend-royal-marines-parade
The Parade will take place on the Buckingham Palace forecourt on Wednesday, 2nd August and will bring The Duke's programme of public engagements to a conclusion. His Royal Highness may still choose to attend events alongside The Queen from time to time.

Read more: How Prince Philip - the unstuffy man I've known for 40 years - will cope with retirement
Today marks the end of an era. This morning, Prince Philip, 96, the longest serving royal consort in history, is undertaking his final solo public engagement.

It is 70 years since he became Duke of Edinburgh upon his marriage to Princess Elizabeth in November 1947, and 64 years since he succeeded his late father-in-law, King George VI, as Captain General of the Royal Marines in June 1953. Today he will be on parade outside Buckingham Palace, taking the salute, at a fund-raiser for charities associated with that naval fighting force.

Being on parade, taking the salute, fund-raising – that has been his life for seven decades, as consort to the sovereign and founder, fellow, patron, president, chairman, or member of at least 837 organisations; as well as Captain General, Colonel or Colonel-in-Chief, Field Marshal, Admiral, and Air Commodore 42 times over. (This is a sad day for his valet: all those uniforms that still fit but won’t be worn again.)
“When King George died,” I once asked him, “did you know what to expect?”

“No,” he replied. “There were plenty of people telling me what not to do. ‘You mustn’t interfere with this’; ‘Keep out.’ I had to try to support the Queen as best I could, without getting in the way. I did my own thing. Got involved in organisations where I thought I could be useful. The Federation of London Boys’ Clubs, the Royal Yachting Association, the MCC. Of course, so long as they were going all right, there wasn’t much for me to do. But if an organisation was going bankrupt or had some crisis, then I’d help. The fund-raising never stops.”
And now it is over, will he miss it?

He won’t miss the Royal Variety Performance. He won’t miss the media attention. “I am not going to write an autobiography,” he told me. “I don’t spend a lot of time looking back.” He will have more time to read (history, biography, very little fiction); he will keep up his carriage driving (he is only 96 after all); he will visit family and friends – “the ones who are still alive,” he says wryly.

He won’t disappear from public view altogether. He will still be on parade when he thinks the Queen would like it.

Read more: Prince Philip retires: Duke of Edinburgh to meet Royal Marines at final public event
The Duke of Edinburgh will meet Royal Marines who have completed a mammoth 1,664 mile trek on Wednesday - his final official Royal event before he retires from public engagements.

In the grounds of Buckingham Palace, Philip will celebrate the achievements of servicemen who have taken part in the 1664 Global Challenge, a series of strength and endurance feats raising funds and awareness for the Royal Marines Charity.

The Queen's Consort announced in May he would be retiring from royal engagements after more than 65 years supporting the monarch in her role as head of state and attending events for his own charities and organisations.

Last edited:
Read more: Prince Philip to carry out final official engagement - BBC News
The Duke of Edinburgh will meet Royal Marines in his final public engagement before he retires from royal duties.

The 96-year-old announced his retirement in May, after decades of supporting the Queen, as well as attending events for his own charities and organisations.

Prince Philip has completed 22,219 solo engagements since 1952.

On Wednesday, he will meet servicemen who have taken part in a 1,664-mile trek in aid of charity.

As Captain General of the Royal Marines, the duke will attend a parade to mark the finale of the 1664 Global Challenge - a series of strength and endurance challenges raising funds and awareness for charity.

Article from Sky News - read more: Prince Philip prepares for final royal engagement
The Duke of Edinburgh will attend his final official engagement later, but the palace has hinted it won't necessarily be the last time we see him on royal duty.

Prince Philip, who turned 96 in June, will attend a parade at Buckingham Palace to mark the finale of the Royal Marines 1664 Global Challenge.

Buckingham Palace announced in May that the Duke would not be taking on any more solo engagements from Autumn this year.

A palace spokeswoman said the parade would "bring His Royal Highness's individual programme to a conclusion, although he may choose to attend certain events, alongside the Queen, from time-to-time".

Video from Sky News - also available in the article above:
Prince Philip retires: A retrospective

Read more: https://www.itv.com/news/2017-08-02/timeline-key-dates-in-the-life-of-the-duke-of-edinburgh/
2009: The Duke becomes the longest serving royal consort in British history, overtaking Queen Charlotte, the wife of King George III.

2010: Buckingham Palace announces Philip will step down as patron or president of more than a dozen organisations when he turns 90.

2011: The Duke celebrates his 90th birthday. The Queen gives him a new title - Lord High Admiral, titular head of the Royal Navy.

July 2013:The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's son Prince George is born - third in line to the throne, a future king and the Duke's great-grandson.

May 2015: Philip and the Queen's great-granddaughter Princess Charlotte of Cambridge is born.

2016: Philip turns 95 - his birthday coincides with a weekend of festivities for the Queen's official 90th birthday.

2017: Buckingham Palace announces that Philip is to step down from public duties and he carries out his last royal engagement on August 2.

Last edited:
Prince Phillip's retirement today is getting a good deal of coverage over here in DK as well. Even Jyllands Posten, which is a serious newspaper and don't cover royalty that much, has an article. Historiker: Prins Philip inviterede folket ind i kongehuset - Europa - International

They've asked historian and royalty expert Lars Hovbakke Sørensen for a comment.

He says that even though Prince Phillip have always stood one step behind his wife, QEII, he has nevertheless very much put his mark on the BRF.
"He has modernized the BRF from within and by being a sparring-partner for the Queen. He got her to open up and become more eye-to-eye with the people".

70 years ago there were few female monarchs around and Prince Phillip very much had to define his role himself.
"But he understood it and accepted it from day one.
He has over time become the people's man in the BRF, but he certainly hasn't been that all the time".

The period after the death of Diana, was difficult for the BRF. Especially how the BRF handled the death of Diana, that got a lot of criticism.
But when the Regent Couple acknowledged that and chose to open up, where both the Queen and the Prince showed more of themselves, it went the other way, says Lars Hovbakke Sørensen.
That development is very much attributable to the Prince.
"That has resulted in the BRF going from being one of the most unpopular in Europe to being one of the most popular in the world".

Additional article about the last official job before the retirement. Nothing new here though: http://jyllands-posten.dk/internati...-aerer-marinekorps-paa-sin-sidste-arbejdsdag/
Except mentioning that Prince Phillip during his career has had 22.219 events. And has given 5.496 speeches.

Last edited:
Prince Phillip's retirement today is getting a good deal of coverage over here in DK as well. Even Jyllands Posten, which is a serious newspaper and don't cover royalty that much, has an article. Historiker: Prins Philip inviterede folket ind i kongehuset - Europa - International

They've asked historian and royalty expert Lars Hovbakke Sørensen for a comment.

He says that even though Prince Phillip have always stood one step behind his wife, QEII, he has nevertheless very much put his mark on the BRF.
"He has modernized the BRF from within and by being a sparring-partner for the Queen. He got her to open up and become more eye-to-eye with the people".

70 years ago there were few female monarchs around and Prince Phillip very much had to define his role himself.
"But he understood it and accepted it from day one.
He has over time become the people's man in the BRF, but he certainly hasn't been that all the time".

The period after the death of Diana, was difficult for the BRF. Especially how the BRF handled the death of Diana, that got a lot of criticism.
But when the Regent Couple acknowledged that and chose to open up, where both the Queen and the Prince showed more of themselves, it went the other way, says Lars Hovbakke Sørensen.
That development is very much attributable to the Prince.
"That has resulted in the BRF going from being one of the most unpopular in Europe to being one of the most popular in the world".

Additional article about the last official job before the retirement. Nothing new here though: Prins Philip ærer marinekorps på sin sidste arbejdsdag - Europa - International
Except mentioning that Prince Phillip during his career has had 22.219 events. And has given 5.496 speeches.
Thanks Muhler! :flowers:

I can't stand Lars Hovbakke Sørensen, and I don't agree with anything that comes out of his mouth. He talked about about Princess Elisabeth and Princess Benedikte on TV2 News about 2/3 years ago. I was shocked at how little he did know. And the way he explained the reasons for Elisabeth not having royal duties while comparing her with Benedikte was just so ignorant and stupid.

What he said about the BRF over the years:

Some years ago (think it was in 2012), he didn't know that the Queen was head of state in Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the 12 others Commonwealth realms. He explained that she was head of those countries too, because she was head of the Commonwealt.

When HM went on a walkabout for her 90th birthday last year, he said that she had never done that before. The facts: She was the first to do walkabouts - started in 1970 and did it more often than any other head of state until 2012.

And my response to things he said here, qouted in Muhlers post, marked in bold by me:

The Queen has not open up or shoved more of herself in recent years - she has done the opposite. She has stopped with the walkabouts, driving in open cars, most hospitals/school visits in 2012.

She apear more reserved now that she did in the 70s, 80s, 90s and 2000s and she don't smile/talk to people as much as she used to.

And Lars Hovbakke Sørensen has also called my other monarch Harald V for 'boring'.

More about Philip: (I really liked the Sky News video in post 197 - really worth a watch)

Prince Philip: Speeches, plaques and gaffes
The Duke has also made 637 solo overseas visits to 143 countries.

As well as his charity work, including the Duke of Edinburgh award programme, he has attended many ceremonies and unveiled copious amounts of plaques, but he is perhaps best known for his gaffes and quips.

Over the past few months he has been joking about his impending retirement, even telling celebrity cook Prue Leith at a Buckingham Palace event: "I'm discovering what it's like to be on your last legs".

He has been called a "national treasure" by the press for his inability to curb his off-the-cuff remarks, but some of his comments have caused controversy.

Royal historian/photographer Ian Pelham-Turner was on Sky News praising the duke for everything he's done for HM, the monarchy and charities.

Video with pictures:

Last edited:
Read more: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...aph-wrongly-announces-duke-of-edinburgh-death
The Daily Telegraph published an incomplete article online on Wednesday announcing the death of the Duke of Edinburgh as the still-alive prince prepared for his final day of public engagements.

The full-length report, since taken down, appeared on the newspaper’s website before Prince Philip, 96, the longest-serving consort in British history, was due to carry out his 22,219th – and final – solo engagement.

The piece read: “The Duke of Edinburgh, the longest-serving consort to a monarch in British history, has died at the age of XX, Buckingham Palace has announced.

“Prince Philip, whom the Queen described as her ‘strength and stay’ during her record-breaking reign, passed away XXXXXXX

“FILL IN DETAILS

“He will be given a royal ceremonial funeral in line with his wishes, which is expected to take place in seven days’ time.”

A note at the top of the article read: “This file needs to be a living file – and will serve Apple News as well as be the main news story. Please stick to the format below.”
I actually saw the article - and thought something had happened.

Edit: An error from the telegraph - they published an article that was prepared for the Duke's death. Note that the telegraph wrote ''royal ceremonial funeral'', that means they have information that there will be no private funeral.

Edit: They even sent out a tweet about it:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DGN2_ZrVwAIbyXy.jpg

See picture of the telegraph article in the Guardian article.

Edit: I'm really shocked about this - not a small error either.

Edit: People are talking about it on twitter.

Edit: Ingrid Seward has been on Sky News - out of all the very good british royal commentators/experts they pick her.

Edit: A spokesman for the Telegraph said: “We sincerely apologise for the mistake that was made this morning, which was of course rectified immediately. We will be reviewing our publishing processes as a matter of urgency.”

Edit: Sky News Royal Correspondent Rhiannon Mills is outside the palace - it's raining.

Edit: Charlie Proctor‏ @MonarchyUK
I sympathise greatly with the Telegraph. Why the 'save' button is next to the 'publish' button I will never know!

Edit: Dickie Arbiter‏ @RoyalDickie
Don't write off Prince Philip. Today might be his last diary engagement but from now on he's taking charge on what he wants to do & when.

Last edited:
Continuation of post 200 - were you can read the Telegraph published an incomplete article online announcing the death of the Duke of Edinburgh as the still-alive prince prepared for his final day of public engagements.

The articles I posted earlier, but now updated:

Read more: Prince Philip retires: Duke of Edinburgh meets Royal Marines at final public event
The Duke of Edinburgh has met Royal Marines who have completed a mammoth 1,664 mile trek - his final official Royal event before he retires from public engagements.

In the grounds of Buckingham Palace, Philip celebrated the achievements of servicemen who have taken part in the 1664 Global Challenge, a series of strength and endurance feats raising funds and awareness for the Royal Marines Charity.

Read more: Prince Philip carries out final official engagement - BBC News
The Duke of Edinburgh met Royal Marines in his final solo public engagement before he retires from royal duties.

The 96-year-old announced his retirement in May, after decades of supporting the Queen, as well as attending events for his own charities and organisations.

Prince Philip has completed 22,219 solo engagements since 1952.

Outside Buckingham Palace, he met servicemen who have taken part in a 1,664-mile trek in aid of charity.

As Captain General of the Royal Marines, the duke attended a parade to mark the finale of the 1664 Global Challenge - a series of strength and endurance challenges raising funds and awareness for charity.

DF article with many pictures:
Prince Philip arrives for his last public engagement | Daily Mail Online

Video without commentary:

Video of some of the BBC coverage - commentary by the very unreliable Robert Jobson:

Last edited:
It was great to see that Philip turned up to his last engagement despite the rain. I was quite worried about him today because he contracted his bladder infection not long after he'd stood out in the rain during the Jubilee; but he's probably been given the thumbs up by his doctors for today as I doubt they would have advised him to go given his bladder infection if they knew it would be problematic for him. Philip's a tough one though, so I'm sure he was fine. ?

Love Mac - and drawn so well with the corgies and the races on the TV.

More from yesterday:

UK Prime Minister‏ @Number10gov
PM – "As he carries out his final public engagement, I thank The Duke of Edinburgh for a remarkable lifetime of service." (1/2)

UK Prime Minister‏ @Number10gov
PM – "I hope The Duke, after 22,219 solo engagements since 1952, can now enjoy a well-earned retirement!" (2/2)

From the British Monarchist Society & Foundation
Today H.R.H. Prince Philip undertook his final engagement of his nearly 70-year career as consort to Her Majesty, The Queen. Over this long service of duty, H.R.H. has undertaken 22,219 solo engagements since 1952, has given 5,496 speeches and 785 organisations have him as patron, president or member. Four million people have taken part in The Duke of Edinburgh Awards scheme. Needless to say, this man is a national treasure and we will miss him, his jokes and cheeky demeanour very much. We wish him much happiness in his retirement and on behalf of a grateful nation: Thank you for your unwavering and dedicated service.

Read more: Prince Philip: 70 life snippets of the Duke of Edinburgh | Royal | News | Express.co.uk
AS the Duke of Edinburgh bows out of official duties, we present 70 snippets from a life well lived, one for every year that he has faithfully served the British public as the Queen’s consort.

Video:

And thanks to all those who used the thanks button and who wrote kind things to me in the commentary field.

Last edited:
The Duke of Edinburgh has had another solo engagement -

CC - 23rd August 2017 at Balmoral - The Duke of Edinburgh, Colonel-in-Chief, today received a delegation from The Royal Hamilton Light Infantry (Wentworth Regiment).

He may not be doing 'public engagements' but he is still doing some and he has two more to come in early September.

Shows to go ya that you can't keep a good man down. :D

What is nice about this retirement is that Philip gets to cherry pick whatever he wants to do or not do. No strenuous appointment calendar but he can do what he wants to, when he wants to and calls the shots.

I also believe this shows that Philip is dedicated to what he does and that it has meaning for him. My respect for this man has just gone over the top.

Back
Top Bottom