The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-12-2012, 05:27 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't see the problem with not attending.
I haven't attended my brother's "in laws" family funerals. I may have met them on occassion but they are not related to me. I gave my condolences to my sisters in law on their losses but saw no need to attend the funerals and certainly not if they were in another city.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I disagree here, differences should be forgotten when the brother in law suffers a loss. Under normal circumstances, losing a parent is more drastic compared to a grandparent. Cristina still is Felipe's sister. Its not all about Inaki, but also about the 4 Urdangarin children too. To stay away while Queen Sofia & Elena attend is quite a statement, and not a good one. Just in my opinion, of course.
I agree with you. Funerals should be attended by all the family members. It is not the time for cheap plebeian dramas.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:14 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I disagree here, differences should be forgotten when the brother in law suffers a loss. Under normal circumstances, losing a parent is more drastic compared to a grandparent. Cristina still is Felipe's sister. Its not all about Inaki, but also about the 4 Urdangarin children too. To stay away while Queen Sofia & Elena attend is quite a statement, and not a good one. Just in my opinion, of course.
Besides the reasons stated by Lula, another reason is that there were reports that Inaki's family especially his mom were very angry at the 'not exemplary' comment made by the head of the royal household on Inaki's behavior, also the King's Christmas speech, so JC and Felipe might want to avoid the awkward encounter when others are angry at them. Inaki's mom is also old like Sofia, if Sofia had a hard time to turn her head, it's almost impossible for Inaki's mom.
Did Letizia go on Friday or not ? Paloma B did mention she went Friday afternoon although Paloma is not the most reliable source.

La princesa Letizia acudir a arropar a su cuado Iaki Urdangarin
Old 05-13-2012, 04:08 AM
Imperial Majesty

Princess Letizia was not there.

But I believe that now the reasons of the Prince and the Princess are more than justified. Without nobody was finding out, Telma and Jaime del Burgo married on Friday in Navarra.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:25 AM
Royal Highness

I agree that they should have attended. This is not about Iñaki, it´s about Cristina who is Felipe´s sister (or she isn´t anymore?) and those four children who are living a very difficult situation, not to say a private hell..
It´s certainly not a moment to be casting stones, or distancing yourselves so as not to be muddied. Are they so pure and blameless?
And if Iñaki is as guilty as they say, why isn´t he in jail yet?
Old 05-13-2012, 06:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

Inaki’s mom is a Belgian and has not the same background as Queen Sofia.
She married her husband for love left Belgium and they had 6 Children.
What a family disaster now !
Old 05-13-2012, 06:37 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carminha Stalker View Post
I agree that they should have attended. This is not about Iñaki, it´s about Cristina who is Felipe´s sister (or she isn´t anymore?) and those four children who are living a very difficult situation, not to say a private hell..
It´s certainly not a moment to be casting stones, or distancing yourselves so as not to be muddied. Are they so pure and blameless?
And if Iñaki is as guilty as they say, why isn´t he in jail yet?
I disagree. The SRF has been well represented with the Queen and Infanta Elena - there is no need for the Crown Prince and Princess to be present. Neither Inaki or Cristina were present during Letizia's sister's funeral. The King and Queen were there and proper protocol was observed.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:23 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alondra View Post
I disagree. The SRF has been well represented with the Queen and Infanta Elena - there is no need for the Crown Prince and Princess to be present. Neither Inaki or Cristina were present during Letizia's sister's funeral. The King and Queen were there and proper protocol was observed.
Not true. The complete family attended either Erika's funeral or memorial mass.

IMO the Princes - or Letizia's if this was an event for the SRF women to attend and neither monarch nor heir wanted to be associated with Inaki - could have gone together with the Queen & Elena, no need to be seen together with Inaki but to show compassion.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:42 PM
Heir Apparent

On a family level I see no reason why their attendance was required. It is perfectly possible to extend condolences and sympathy in private, especially on the death of someone who is not a direct relative of yourself (sisters husbands father). It is how I would handle such a situation in my own family, especially if I had no personal relationship with the deceased.

On a public level I can well believe they could be advised to stay away from his sister and her disgraced husband and avoid any linkage between the 2 families.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:51 PM
Heir Apparent

It would not a bad idea for Infanta Elena and Infanta Christina to completely exit the Casa Real activities and concentrate on being private citizens like King Juan Carlos' sisters.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:55 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
On a family level I see no reason why their attendance was required. It is perfectly possible to extend condolences and sympathy in private, especially on the death of someone who is not a direct relative of yourself (sisters husbands father). It is how I would handle such a situation in my own family, especially if I had no personal relationship with the deceased.

They are a public family, not a private one. Everything they do is possibly sending out a message. And the messages they are sending out show a deep rift within the family.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

They are a public family, not a private one. Everything they do is possibly sending out a message. And the messages they are sending out show a deep rift within the family.
So then they are sending the appropriate message "we are not associated with these people or the crimes they may have committed".
Old 05-13-2012, 01:18 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post

It would not a bad idea for Infanta Elena and Infanta Christina to completely exit the Casa Real activities and concentrate on being private citizens like King Juan Carlos' sisters.
It will probably happen when Felipe is King/when little Infantas are old enough, however until then they are needed. Even if they don't carry out as many duties as the Princes..
Old 05-13-2012, 02:13 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
On a family level I see no reason why their attendance was required.
Exactly. I know people may have different opinions on this topic, but imo a brother-in-law`s father is not a close relative and it`s perfectly ok to send the condolences only, without attending the funeral.

Quote:
On a public level I can well believe they could be advised to stay away from his sister and her disgraced husband and avoid any linkage between the 2 families.
I believe it too. It`s also possible that the relationship between the Dukes and the Princes is not good, so the attendance would have created unnecessary tension at the funeral, therefore it was better not to attend.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Wouldn't there also be grave security concerns to have all members of the Royal Family there?
Old 05-13-2012, 03:07 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Wouldn't there also be grave security concerns to have all members of the Royal Family there?
Vitoria is the Basque Country, and though now the terrorists are in truce, security is still very important. When the Queen arrived to the house of the Urdangarín family, the street was cut and controlled by the police, the delegation consisted of 4 or 5 cars and was watched from the air by a helicopter. Improvise a trip of members of the Royal Family is always difficult, but doing it in the Basque country more.

Attend the funeral on Saturday was even more difficult. Yesterday in all Spanish cities there were demonstrations by the 15 M, so the police was too busy to control that. Moreover Iñaki and the corruption case were subject to protest in some of that demonstrations.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:30 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
So then they are sending the appropriate message "we are not associated with these people or the crimes they may have committed".
Well, some members do, while showing no compassion to the sister (in law) and her family, others dont, while associating with "these people" or the crimes they may have committed.

Opinions on this will differ, rightly so, since its a lose-lose situation.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:26 PM
Royal Highness

I think it´s shameful. After all when Letizia´s sister commited suicide the WHOLE royal family was there , including Iñaki and Cristina, even though at the time there wasn´t very much loving between them.
After all, there are four children who have the King´s blood in their veins, and should have had this deference extended to them.
I have been in another site, which is not at all favourable to \Iñaki, but most everyone was incensed by this situation.
It´s the death of an honourable man, who is the grandfather of four of the King´s own grandchildren. A man who never was searching for limelights, nor was ever involved in anything bad.
If Letizia´s sister deserved their appearance why not him.
If they are so afraid of mud clinging to them, how about Botwsana and the elephant hunt?
Old 05-13-2012, 04:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte_Aster View Post
It will probably happen when Felipe is King/when little Infantas are old enough, however until then they are needed. Even if they don't carry out as many duties as the Princes..
I see no reason for both ladies to accommodate anybody. It would be deemed expedient for Infanta Elena and Infanta Christina to either gracefully exit or scale down their royal activities to a bare minimum. If needed, Prince and Princess Asturia can fill a gap. I dare say the Casa Real can function with them. Duchess of Palma should focus on her life in the USA, whereas Infanta Elena should do so in Spain.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:44 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
In my personal opinion, it would be deemed expedient for Infanta Elena and Infanta Christina to scale down their royal activities to a bare minimum. Prince and Princess Asturia can fill the gap. I dare say the Casa Real can function with them. Duchess of Palma should focus on her life in the USA, whereas Infanta Elena should do so in Spain.
While I have to agree regarding Infanta Cristina, I don't see why Infanta Elena should scale down her engagements.
Her personal life has may have taken an unfortunate turn, but that doesn't mean she cannot represent the royal family.

Tags
iñaki urdangarín, urgdangarin family