The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-20-2017, 04:05 AM
Majesty

What on earth are you talking about. Why should or would Sarah "drop out of sight", she has a life of her own and is very involved in charity work and is not always accompanied by her daughters. They tend to join her if they are in the same city at the same time.

That the media watch her when they could be watching others, not least HM, POW, Camilla, Anne, Andrew, etc. is a problem that the media create. The ugly heckling and nasty comments under most articles is sickening. The media publish click bait and it is obviously effective.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:37 AM
Aristocracy

Marg, if Sarah was less prominent it would be a giant win-win for the entire Royal Family.

How can you not see this?

Old 10-20-2017, 05:06 AM
Majesty

I doubt her daughters or ex-husband would agree with you. Sarah is who she is and they love her regardless. Who are we to sit in judgment?
Old 10-20-2017, 07:45 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
The recent photos of Sarah have emerged because of her involvement with the organization Children in Crisis. I may not think Sarah looks too good, see nothing worthwhile to write about when it comes to her wardrobe, her shoes and her hair, but without Sarah and her involvement, Children in Crisis would not be able to draw in as much funds that they do to keep their organization alive. Children in Crisis has been close to Sarah's heart for decades.

It does seem like Sarah pops up at a lot of charity functions and a lot of times with her daughters. If, because of these people, the charities make even ten more dollars and can help one more person that needs it, its all good.

That, to me, reflects on the people involved that take the time to get involved with these charities and programs. They're not working for the "Firm" but doing what they can to give back. Its actually a good reflection on the British royal family in my book.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:42 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopoldine View Post
Marg, if Sarah was less prominent it would be a giant win-win for the entire Royal Family.

How can you not see this?
I disagree with you.

Firstly, Sarah is not seen as often as you imply. She attends charity functions and gets photographed. Rarely does she give an interview these days. But every single time she's out, she's news. And the reason why is that she remains of interest, even if it's negative interest, in the British press. As Sarah once said herself "bad Fergie sells papers."

If Sarah were not a public person and had been properly retired by the Royal Family with a grace and favour home and a monthly stipend to keep her in style, then there would need to be another royal punching bag - another royal bad girl. Sarah simply took over for Princess Michael of Kent, and before her The Duchess of Windsor. If Sarah wasn't around the press would target someone else in the family.

If anything, Sarah taking the heat as she does benefits the Royal Family because she isn't directly tied to them anymore.

Children in Crisis was started by Sarah more than 20 years ago. It continues to do good work because she gets out there on the public stage and promotes it.
Old 10-28-2017, 02:37 PM
Serene Highness

Something you won't see in the Daily Mail: Sarah has been in Rwanda, supporting the Rwanda Cricket Stadium. She also posts about supporting the women there through microfinance and Key to Freedom, the non-profit for trafficked women that she, Andrew and the girls founded. https://www.instagram.com/sarahferguson15/
Old 10-28-2017, 06:26 PM
Majesty

And yet article in DM

Sarah Ferguson lends a hand on Rwandan community project | Daily Mail Online
Old 10-28-2017, 06:38 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
One thing that is obvious to me and that is although Sarah is presented as attention grabbing showing up at gala events by the media, she has affiliated herself with some pretty hard core issues and has stuck with them for ages. Children in Crisis, Not For Sale, Not On Our Watch and many, many others.

That takes guts. One thing Sarah does have is a lot of guts.
Old 10-28-2017, 08:25 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
...Maybe they were reading this forum?

Unfortunately, I think that as soon as an article like this appears in the DM, commenters will paint Sarah as 'attention-seeking,' as though she paid for the spot in the DM. In fact, the photos just come from her Instagram...like millions of people, Sarah has one, but the media will notice hers because she's a former member of the royal family.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:16 AM
Majesty

Sarah leave Loulou's yesterday night with Manuel Fernandez

Sarah Ferguson with former flame Manuel Fernandez | Daily Mail Online
Old 11-03-2017, 08:44 AM
Imperial Majesty

I’m always wondering if this Manuel guy was really a boyfriend or he’s one of her “girlfriends”?

A.W. TOZER
Old 11-10-2017, 04:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Here we go again!

Will Fergie pull the plug on troubled Aquiva Foundation? | Daily Mail Online
Old 11-10-2017, 06:18 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Not "her" foundation. She joined the Board of Directors a just a couple of years ago. Just a name on the letterhead and the occasional personal appearance.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:45 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
It does seem like Sarah pops up at a lot of charity functions and a lot of times with her daughters. If, because of these people, the charities make even ten more dollars and can help one more person that needs it, its all good.
...:
I've thought about responding to this comment since it was posted and hesitated, perhaps because I have pretty strong opinions about the celebrification of charitable fund raising, being biased by my own decade of contribution to my personal most important cause.
I respectfully disagree. If you are going to use your celebrity status (or in Sarah's case, ex royal status) to urge people to donate their hard earned money to a particular charity IMO you have a duty to vet that charity.
In Sarah's case, those who donated to her 'charity' which shut down in the USA several years ago basically funded her money making 'gala' w/ a few bucks thrown to other charities. Frankly, her children in crisis charity, if you look at the financials, works w/ less than 2 million pounds a year (which includes grants from other charities) and has over a dozen staff.
Charitable funding is not infinite and it seems every famous and not so famous person has set up some kind of foundation for some kind of need. Each of those of course have paid staff, paid for 'fund raisers,' etc. diluting the actual benefit that gets to those in need.
I think we are better off w/ fewer larger, better run charities rather than the overcrowded patchwork of celebrity foundations that have increasingly popped up.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:01 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I’m always wondering if this Manuel guy was really a boyfriend or he’s one of her “girlfriends”?
She has a lot of "girlfriends" but she doesn't present them the way she does Manuel. Constantly having him as a plus-one at public events, inviting him to family events, vacationing and traveling with him, cosy pictures https://us.hellomagazine.com/imagene...ht-night-a.jpg https://ssl.c.photoshelter.com/img-g...-France-03.jpg . I don't think they're on a marriage track (for one, Sarah would lose Duchess of York) but I do believe they're slightly more than friends with benefits.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
If you are going to use your celebrity status (or in Sarah's case, ex royal status) to urge people to donate their hard earned money to a particular charity IMO you have a duty to vet that charity.
In Sarah's case, those who donated to her 'charity' which shut down in the USA several years ago basically funded her money making 'gala' w/ a few bucks thrown to other charities. Frankly, her children in crisis charity, if you look at the financials, works w/ less than 2 million pounds a year (which includes grants from other charities) and has over a dozen staff.
popped up.
sensible. I think that so much of this "setting up foundations" is because it seems to be "required" for every mini celeb now to be seen doing "charity work". and I think it would be much more sensible if they picked a few existing charities and asked people to donate to them.
Theres' no harm in Sarah, she's kind hearted and probably wants to do some good, but she has very little brain.....
Old 11-10-2017, 09:05 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
I've thought about responding to this comment since it was posted and hesitated, perhaps because I have pretty strong opinions about the celebrification of charitable fund raising, being biased by my own decade of contribution to my personal most important cause.
I respectfully disagree. If you are going to use your celebrity status (or in Sarah's case, ex royal status) to urge people to donate their hard earned money to a particular charity IMO you have a duty to vet that charity.
Charitable funding is not infinite and it seems every famous and not so famous person has set up some kind of foundation for some kind of need. Each of those of course have paid staff, paid for 'fund raisers,' etc. diluting the actual benefit that gets to those in need.
I think we are better off w/ fewer larger, better run charities rather than the overcrowded patchwork of celebrity foundations that have increasingly popped up.
In Sarah's defense, she's not the only one with dubious charity involvement. It wasn't too long ago that one of Prince Charles' major foundations was only giving about 35% of revenues to charity, the rest being spent on lavish Michael Fawcett-run entertainments for the prince's jet-setter donors, many of whom were referred to as Bond Villains in his office.

Sarah is on a charity treadmill. She wants prominent people to show up and lend support for her causes, so she must support the interests of those people. It is hard to get off that merry-go-round once you get on.

Those here who have read my scathing (and of course deleted) posts about Sarah know that I am not a fan. However, I recognize her charity circuit obligations are a grind, and she handles it with good humor.

If she has any sort of opportunity to slowly and gracefully back out of this charity whirlpool, she should do it.

I think that the different traditional models of philanthropy are changing.

I don't think it is acceptable any more to go to Africa and don a khaki outfit and stand in dusty dirt for a photo op, leave, and 10 months later report that 60% of the money your foundation raised was "diverted" or somesuch by local authorities. And, before you think I'm talking about Sarah in Rwanda, no, I'm speaking of Bill Clinton.

I think Sarah has an opportunity here. Andrew, too. Maybe a Pitch@Palace initiative for a new charity model.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Theres' no harm in Sarah, she's kind hearted and probably wants to do some good, but she has very little brain.....

Fergie has no real income, so how does she fund her lifestyle?
She seems to do quite well out of her charities, even if she is the only one who does.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:17 AM
Heir Presumptive

She has some income. but she problaby gets by with freebies from richer friends a lot and I suppose Andrew and the girls help.
I just think that there is no real need for her to do charity wrok. She is not a Princess, has been treated as "not one of us", by the RF for a long time and has also lost popularity with the British public who clearly don't want her around even as a "former Princess" public figure. So why not give up, get a normal job if she can find something, or just retire into private life. If she wants to be invoved with charities she can connect with some existing one and do something for them at times.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:06 PM
Aristocracy

The first thing I think when I see her name attached to a charity is "why?"

Sure, the tabloids will feature her at the gala so the cause will get a press mention, but it makes you wonder about the charity organization itself if they think she is a good representative, given her expensive upkeep and history of insolvency and cringe-worthy personal indiscretions.

If Children in Crisis takes in 2 mil a year and has 12 staffers as was mentioned earlier, there does not seem to be a lot left over for those children. Say the average salary is 40,000 pounds. That's half of what they take in per year, when multiplied by 12. Then you have Sarah's expenses.

I think she is of the age when she can retire and live a private life. This lady needs grandchildren. I think she'd be a fantastic spoiling grandma. Those two nice daughters have to step up and lasso a couple of good men pronto.

I have spoken of her previously as a grandmother, in a negative way. That was short-sighted of me. I think it will be her best role ever.