The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-15-2016, 11:42 AM
Serene Highness

While i think it may be odd for Eugenie to be moving to KP; I think this is part of larger plan to free up some SJP space for business offices during a long overdue BP renovation. They had to wait til after HM 90th birthday celebrations and after summer to minimize the losses of tourist revenue. It makes sense to me that over the next few months, the business offices at BP will be relocating to St James and to Windsor.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleQ2 View Post
While i think it may be odd for Eugenie to be moving to KP; I think this is part of larger plan to free up some SJP space for business offices during a long overdue BP renovation. They had to wait til after HM 90th birthday celebrations and after summer to minimize the losses of tourist revenue. It makes sense to me that over the next few months, the business offices at BP will be relocating to St James and to Windsor.
I can see why Eugenie might want to move to Ivy Cottage, she might like her own place.

But as for freeing up space in SJP, what about Beatrice? Won't she still need that apartment that she shared with Eugenie?

Old 08-15-2016, 12:40 PM
Serene Highness

One of the convenient things about living at SJP is that it's only a couple blocks away from Mahiki where Jack works. SJP is also a lot closer to Eugenie's work than KP would be. If the sisters decide they want to live apart it makes more sense for Beatrice to move.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:54 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Well if true, odd that there is no detail. Anyone know of anyone vacating a small KP flat in the last year or so? Know of any renovations going on in the past year?
It is not an apartment in the palace. It is a three bedroom cottage adjacent to Nottingham cottage where Prince Harry now lives. Both places are much smaller than Wren Cottage, which is the residence of the duke and duchess of Kent.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:42 PM
Courtier

Sounds expensive! Who pays the rent, her father or does the Queen cover it?
Old 08-15-2016, 03:20 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanAUSSIE View Post
Sounds expensive! Who pays the rent, her father or does the Queen cover it?
When the two princesses left university, the rent became market rate, which Andrew pays. This was reported at the time .. British tabloid reporters just don't do research. The rent is paid by Andrew - and it is market rate. It is actually a small apartment in SJP. Palace officials spent £250,000 renovating Princess Beatrice apartment - Telegraph

Prince Andrew to pay Beatrice and Eugenie’s £20k a year rent | UK | News | Daily Express
Old 08-15-2016, 03:55 PM
Heir Apparent

20K a year can't be market rent for a 4br apartment in central London. The express article even says that is not market rent.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 08-15-2016, 04:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarleneKoenig View Post
The rent is paid by Andrew - and it is market rate. It is actually a small apartment in SJP.

It's a four bedroom apartment so it isn't that small.
Old 08-15-2016, 04:46 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
To me, the 20k a year sounds like it just might be fair market value rent but I have no clue what rents go for in London. In comparison, (as of July 2016) a 2 bedroom apartment in NYC goes for $3653 a month.

I'm not moving to NYC any time soon.

https://www.rentjungle.com/average-r...k-rent-trends/
Old 08-15-2016, 05:20 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Well the first article described the SJP apartment as 'a small set of attic rooms reached by 60 steps up a spiral staircase.' Not sure what the going rate would be for that type of unit, the other article stated that the lower rent was more than the previous tenant paid, but that the rate was based on what a servant would pay rather than market rate and that it was paid either by the DOY or the Queen and was a private matter.
Frankly, Eugenie didn't ask to be born Royal, yet because she was she is a bit of a target security wise thus living at KP would at least help w/ security for her.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Is Eugenie really a security target? Haven't Anne and Ed & Sophie lost their 24/7 protection? James and Louise probably don't have RPOs. Peter and Zara's families don't.

You don't see the RPOs in any of pap shots of either York sister like you do with Kate.

Old 08-15-2016, 06:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

Andrew pays for private security for his daughters. They don't have RPOs anymore although I do remember reading that at least one of the RPOs they did have left the Metropolitan Police to take the job with one of the girls when they lost their government funded protection - after they finished university - as the pay was better.

All of The Queen's children have 24/7 protection. Sophie, the Gloucester's and Kent's have protection when they are on official duties.

Charles, Camilla, William, Kate, George, Charlotte, Harry, Andrew, Edward and Anne all have 24/7.

When William takes his family away now it includes at least 12 protection officers so they can work 8 hour shifts with each one responsible for a particular royal.

Harry has additional protection as he is a higher profile target due to direct threats made against him due to his service in Afghanistan.

Given the level of protection around the higher profile royals I would suggest that someone could have a go at Beatrice or Eugenie, gain the publicity and notoriety and find them an easier target. They are still the grandchildren of The Queen and HRHs into the bargain.
Old 08-15-2016, 08:06 PM
Royal Highness

If Andrew of Eugenie want to pay commercial rates of rent for an apartment in KP or SJP then thats a good deal for all as it gives them added protection of being in a secure palace and bringing in money for the upkeep of the palaces. IMO there is no reason Beatrice of Eugenie should get favourable deals on any such accommodation, sorry but if Peter and Zarah can make their own lives and find their own accommodation there is no reason Beatrice and Eugenie can't.

I was reading an article from around 2002 when the Public Accounts Committee was investigating the use of KP for the Kents, Gloucesters etc, much was made about Prince and Princess Michael of Kent not paying rent and it was said that in future only direct heirs (Charles and his family) would get accommodation at public expense so Eugenie shouldn't get it now. IMO saying paying the same as a servant would it 'market rate' is basically a lie, market rate it whatever the apartment rented out on the open market would cost.
Old 08-15-2016, 08:15 PM
Imperial Majesty

In the palaces however 'market' rate is the rate at which those who live there and pay rent pay. Due to the security concerns the palace has to control who lives in these places so a true 'market rate' doesn't apply as not every person can apply to live there.

Some rent from one of the York girl's is better than no rent due to no one else being able to move in due to security. These aren't properties that can be rented on the open market.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
IMO there is no reason Beatrice of Eugenie should get favourable deals on any such accommodation, sorry but if Peter and Zarah can make their own lives and find their own accommodation there is no reason Beatrice and Eugenie can't.

Don't Peter and Zara live on properties owned by Princess Anne?
(I think I heard something to that effect).
Old 08-15-2016, 10:02 PM
Serene Highness

Anne's property is privately owned. Her decision on if there is rent or not.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:04 PM
Majesty

Zara and Mike live at Gatcombe since 2013. As far as I know Peter is in London but I believe he has a cottage at Gatcomb as well.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:36 PM
Serene Highness

I'm doubtful that Peter and family are living in London. Autumn gave an interview to Hello! in May 2015, the magazine asked her about raising her children in the countryside, and she responded -

"I love our quiet life. Our daughters and their cousin Mia are all outdoor girls and not afraid of a little dirt. They love riding their Shetland ponies with Mia in her little basket and Savannah and Isla on a lead reign.

Although Mias the youngest, shes a tough little cookie. The other day, she pulled Isla backwards by her shirt. Isla looked at me indignantly, but Savannah and I were laughing so much that we had to look away."
Old 08-16-2016, 03:14 PM
Majesty

I always thought that taking away their official protection was a bad idea. Between violent ideologues and psychotics, there's real danger of attack. Both princesses appear in the media and live fairly open lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Given the level of protection around the higher profile royals I would suggest that someone could have a go at Beatrice or Eugenie, gain the publicity and notoriety and find them an easier target. They are still the grandchildren of The Queen and HRHs into the bargain.
Old 08-16-2016, 04:40 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Zara and Mike live at Gatcombe since 2013. As far as I know Peter is in London but I believe he has a cottage at Gatcomb as well.
They also live on the Gatcombe estate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I always thought that taking away their official protection was a bad idea. Between violent ideologues and psychotics, there's real danger of attack. Both princesses appear in the media and live fairly open lives.
They have personal security, who are paid by the Duke of York.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
It is in the attic. Four bedrooms does not mean Big. Small rooms. See the article posted above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Is Eugenie really a security target? Haven't Anne and Ed & Sophie lost their 24/7 protection? James and Louise probably don't have RPOs. Peter and Zara's families don't.

You don't see the RPOs in any of pap shots of either York sister like you do with Kate.

The Queen's children have personal protection officers. Anne's children have never had security of their own. They were protected by their mother's PPO when they were with her (as children).

Tags
princess eugenie