The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-02-2011, 08:07 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velasco View Post
Princess Alexandra was the daughter of a fourth son of a monarch; Beatrice and Eugenie are the daughters of the second son of a monarch. So if her husband was offered an earldom, wouldn't it make sense for theirs to be offered too?

Why would the husbands turn the offer of an earldom down? What bad could come from being an Earl?

Ask it the other way - what benefits are there from being an Earl? None that I can see but the disadvantage is that there are expectations about behavious etc from those who have titles. Compare the constant criticisms about the clothing styles of Beatrice and Eugenie compared to the criticism of Zara at the same age - and she was equally if not more outlandish than the York girls - but being princesses more is expected of them and they are far more open to criticism because of their titles. Yes there was some criticism of Zara but she wasn't referred to as a horse, or Cinderella's ugly sisters etc - both of which I have seen with regard to the York girls quite regularly. They are seen as fair game because of their titles.

The husbands turned down the offer of an earldom because they didn't want a title simply because of the person they had come to love. They also wanted to give their children a chance to live a much freer lifestyle than they would otherwise be able to live.

As the precedent has been set of the husbands turning down the offer it would be expected that if offered, their husbands would also turn down an unearned title.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:14 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velasco View Post
Why would the husbands turn the offer of an earldom down? What bad could come from being an Earl?
I think so, too!

I really find it hard to grasp anyone refusing a title, I suppose.
Hopefully Mike Tindall accepts one, if offered.

(I don't see how it makes anyone more normal to be without one; people still know who the Queen's relatives are).

Old 05-02-2011, 11:05 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I think so, too!

(I don't see how it makes anyone more normal to be without one; people still know who the Queen's relatives are).
Some people don't care for titles, consider them pointless. A hark to a bygone era. They don't have to be anti-royalty just unimpressed by some of the pomp and circumstance that surrounds it.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:09 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel

I think so, too!

I don't see him being offered one, and if he is I'll be super surprised if he accepts it. Why would he when he has the perfect lifestyle? The benefits of being royal with absolutely no drawbacks?
Old 05-02-2011, 12:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I don't see him being offered one, and if he is I'll be super surprised if he accepts it. Why would he when he has the perfect lifestyle? The benefits of being royal with absolutely no drawbacks?

What drawbacks are there in having a title?

I thought that when the Queen awards knighthoods, it's considered a great honor and everybody hopes to get one.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:48 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel

What drawbacks are there in having a title?

I thought that when the Queen awards knighthoods, it's considered a great honor and everybody hopes to get one.
Knighthoods but not a title like Earl or Duke. Having a title creates a sense of duty, one that Mike and Zara IMO will be pressured to fulfill if they take up a title. Zara has stayed out of royal life since she was born and is only seen at major events, why change that when she is clearly happy with her life? How do you think Mike would feel walking into the locker room at a rugby tournament and having his friends take the mess for now being an Earl. The press and the people would have a field day. No title was offered when the Queens eldest grandchild got married, what makes Zara so different? Mike can be honoured for his sporting achievements if it comes to it, just like his future wife has been. Honoured for something they worked for.

Somebody might wanna move this discussion out of this thread.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:00 PM

Had a question.

Could the husbands of the two princess's have an HRH title? I remember hearing that Mark Phillips was offered one, but turned it down.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:17 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudsonm
Had a question.

Could the husbands of the two princess's have an HRH title? I remember hearing that Mark Phillips was offered one, but turned it down.
I believe he was offered a title of Earl or Duke or something but not HRH....so I doubt the Princesses husband would be HRH's but I may be wrong
Old 05-06-2011, 10:44 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I think so, too!

I really don't see the Queen offereing an Earldom to the spouse of the #13th in line to the throne and one who is likely to go further down within the next couple of years.

Currently 3/8 of her grandchildren can pass on titles - William, Harry and James. I simply can't see any justification for that to change with regard to Zara - especially when her older brother has already said no.

It would mean that she would have to do the same for Beatrice and Eugenie and what about Louise - who will probably be reaching marriageable age in the next reign or even that of William himself.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:03 PM
Nobility

To hudsomn's question: When Anne married Mark Phillips, it was the 1970s AND she was the sovereign's daughter, not granddaughter. There's been a lot of water under the bridge since then... So, not very likely that they will be offered titles. As for HRHs?? No way. Even Snowdon wasn't made HRH, only an earl, and he married the sovereign's sister Margaret, who was also the daughter of a king.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:14 PM
Nobility

As the son of a future sovereign, Harry will never lose his HRH, nor would anyone who has it now (Bea and Eugenie) lose theirs. I read recently that Charles feels that the working royal family should be considerably reduced, and when he succeeds, he will make those changes. This would mean that Bea and Eugenie will probably not carry out royal duties during his reign, or at least not many, and probably will not be on the royal payroll. We'll likely see some substantive changes in his reign.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:31 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanna Wynne View Post
As the son of a future sovereign, Harry will never lose his HRH, nor would anyone who has it now (Bea and Eugenie) lose theirs. I read recently that Charles feels that the working royal family should be considerably reduced, and when he succeeds, he will make those changes. This would mean that Bea and Eugenie will probably not carry out royal duties during his reign, or at least not many, and probably will not be on the royal payroll. We'll likely see some substantive changes in his reign.

What do you mean by 'royal payroll'?

The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh are given money from the government called the Civil List. This is to cover the cost of their official duties.

The rest of the royal family are funded from the private incomes of either the Queen or the Prince of Wales.

Are you suggesting that in the future the Prince of Wales will tell his siblings and his mother's cousins - whom she has supported all their lives - that at the ages of 50, 60, or 70+ they have to find their own means of income. The income from the trust funds left them by their parents are relatively small because when those parents left that money they expected the government and the monarchs to come to support their children.

Now I am not saying this would apply to Beatrice and Eugenie - who I think should pursue non-royal careers and make lives for themselves away from the public eye leaving Charles, Camilla, William, Kate, Harry and spouse to do the royal duties work during Charles' reign and then in William's reign even Harry start to step aside for William's children to take over.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:22 AM
Nobility

Supporting minor royals. Reply to Iluvbertie

Hi Iluvbertie:

I used the term "royal payroll" loosely, because we have been told that minor royals are no longer funded from the Civil List and those who help the Queen are now paid through her personal funds.

I think you make good points -- and Charles will have to deal with issues such as funding the working royals of his and his mother's generation as he goes about paring the ranks of the working royal family even further, as it is rumored he will do. I'm sure it will have more to do with the future royal family and that none of the loyal older members will be turned out.

But it is interesting that the Queen has stopped the subsidies for minor royals living in royal residences, like the Kents, the Michael of Kents and the Gloucestors having to now pay "market rates" for their Kensington/Clarence House, etc., apartments. That has been a hardship on them I am sure. I read that the Michael of Kents monthly rate went up enormously, so the others' living quarters would likely have been increased proportionately.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:05 PM
Serene Highness

I really doubt that Beatrice and Eugenie's husbands will ever be offered titles - if they want a man with a title, they'll have to find a man with an existing one.

This whole issue of whether they'll ever be working royals fascinates me. They might have done so, at some point, before the current economic crisis. As I understand it, Prince Andrew's trust fund is not large and his income is largely from being a working royal - one wonders exactly how that works for him. Perhaps the Queen and DoE help him out some (but they have two other children to support as well). I was thinking that since Prince Andrew gets lots of perks when he travels on behalf of the Crown to meet with bankers, financiers and oil magnates, that's a large part of his income.

How Beatrice and Eugenie are able to spend what they do on clothes (and whatever else they spend on) is beyond me. Andrew has to be the one passing the money on to them (or perhaps they do get some sort of allowance from their grandparents - somehow I doubt it). They are young and to my eye, they are young 20-somethings, not mature 20-somethings who've already put in a few years of real work (as some 20 year olds have done).

I do believe they'll look for wealthy spouses as hard as they'll look for a well-paying job. It's not easy to find a good job (Will and Harry are making what, in the range of $100,000 American or so in their military jobs? Harry is probably making less than that). It's difficult to imagine Beatrice acquiring a skillset equivalent to being a search and rescue helicopter pilot.

It will be interesting to see what the girls do. Why do I keep wishing they'd spent a little less of their funds on their royal wedding ensembles and put it into a long term savings account?

And as to attracting very rich men into their lives - I wonder how they would go about that. They seem rather sweet and not at all focused on snagging rich men (which takes a certain knack and certainly takes a specific kind of social life). Perhaps they do circulate amongst British aristocrats who still have money.

Beatrice has been with Dave Clark for quite a long time (like 5 years, right?) Everytime I read about him, the only thing I learn is that he is her boyfriend. Is he rich? What does he do? Is he still a student? I read that they were introduced through Prince William, but I can't find out anything more about Dave Clark.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post

Beatrice has been with Dave Clark for quite a long time (like 5 years, right?) Everytime I read about him, the only thing I learn is that he is her boyfriend. Is he rich? What does he do? Is he still a student? I read that they were introduced through Prince William, but I can't find out anything more about Dave Clark.

He has dual citizenship, is a friend of Prince William, and is the son of a millionaire lawyer. He works for Richard Branson at Virgin, and was introduced to Beatrice by William.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:02 PM
Nobility

Quote:
He has dual citizenship, is a friend of Prince William, and is the son of a millionaire lawyer. He works for Richard Branson at Virgin, and was introduced to Beatrice by William.
It was confirmed a while back that they were not introduced by William but by one of the Branson children.

Funny how I didn't know he had a millionaire father. Refreshing that that isn't mentioned in articles that have info one him, just his actual job. Eugenie's boyfriend is always given that bartender from a rich family angle.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:40 PM
Courtier

Perhaps, Pss Beatrice shall marry her long term boyfriend, Dave Clark by 2018 and perhaps, Pss Eugenie shall marry by 2020 in St George's Chapel-Windsor Castle, Hampton Court Palace and/or Chapel Royal-St James Palace or Crathie Church in Scotland.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:08 AM
Courtier

I really think Princess Beatrice will marry within the next two or three years - certainly sooner than 2018. She's been with Dave Clark for several years and, as people have said, she might as well marry someone wealthy.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:20 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
I really think Princess Beatrice will marry within the next two or three years - certainly sooner than 2018. She's been with Dave Clark for several years and, as people have said, she might as well marry someone wealthy.
It's a bit sad when put into that context, especially considering they're Sarah's daughters. Considering how long they've been together I do see it more as love. At least I hope.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver_bic View Post
It's a bit sad when put into that context, especially considering they're Sarah's daughters. Considering how long they've been together I do see it more as love. At least I hope.
I can only attest by experience. I think when children such as William and Harry, Beatrice and Eugenie have witnessed what a break up of a marriage is like, when it comes to themselves, they will be much more aware of what a commitment they are making and why they want to make it. All of the children of the divorced royal siblings seem to have been with their partners for quite a while and have had more steady relationships than their parents did. If Bea does marry, I would bet my last doughnut that its for love.

Tags
princess beatrice, princess eugenie, wedding