The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #81  
Old 01-17-2011, 06:08 AM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 8,601
I wonder if either of them would consider York Minster for their marriage as they are Princesses 'of York'.

The Duke of Kent married there and I think it is a lovely church for a wedding of one or both of the Duke of York's daughters.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 01-17-2011, 02:18 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 17,167
It's a truely beautiful minster, but other than their surname they have no association with York and seeing as I live close to the Minster I would find it ridiculous for them to just come up and get married because of their surname.
__________________

__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 03-21-2011, 12:05 AM
jdcharlie's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: :), United States
Posts: 257
I can't envision Beatrice or Eugenie having a big royal wedding. Although he deserves one, I can't even picture Harry having one. I can see Beatrice having one similar to Peter Phillips' wedding at St. George's Chapel and Windsor, and Eugenie's being a bit smaller somewhere else.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 03-22-2011, 08:48 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 2,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcharlie View Post
I can't envision Beatrice or Eugenie having a big royal wedding. Although he deserves one, I can't even picture Harry having one. I can see Beatrice having one similar to Peter Phillips' wedding at St. George's Chapel and Windsor, and Eugenie's being a bit smaller somewhere else.

You're probably right, but I know that if I had the opportunity to get married in Westminster Abbey, I definitely would!
Nothing else can compare, IMO.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 03-22-2011, 12:06 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Plymouth, United States
Posts: 1,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcharlie View Post
I can't envision Beatrice or Eugenie having a big royal wedding. Although he deserves one, I can't even picture Harry having one. I can see Beatrice having one similar to Peter Phillips' wedding at St. George's Chapel and Windsor, and Eugenie's being a bit smaller somewhere else.
Whereas the York girls are further down in the pecking order, I think you're right. Though I have a feeling that Pss B would be the one to opt for a more spectacular event (her 18th b. day party at Windsor Castle with 200 guests comes to mind) while I think Pss E would def. be more low key. I also think that their parents would want to make a big deal out of the girls' weddings, as most parents do.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 03-22-2011, 12:31 PM
Grandduchess24's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cambridge, United States
Posts: 1,318
I hope they Marry for love
I also not sure if it's ok for them to marry a commoner which is more likely to happen and if queen Elizabeth II would approve of the match.
__________________
" An ugly baby is a very nasty object, and the prettiest is frightful when undressed."
- Queen Victoria
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 03-22-2011, 02:03 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 17,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandduchess24 View Post
I also not sure if it's ok for them to marry a commoner which is more likely to happen and if queen Elizabeth II would approve of the match.
Why would the Queen dissapprove of a match between Beatrice/Eugenie and a commoner?
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 03-22-2011, 02:51 PM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 10,264
Makes no sense to me either. Unless of course, Grandduchess24 is discussing her official permission under the Marriages Act. But since she approved Ernst August of Hanover and Marina Ogilvy's marriage.....why not the York Princesses.

Especially considering that Charles and Anne have married two commoners each (not at the same time of course), as did her sister Margaret, and her sons Andrew and Edward.

Not to mention the elephant in the room: Catherine Middleton. I guess Autumn and Mike don't count since they are so far down the line of succession.

I would imagine that the Queen just wants her grandchildren to be happy....so their "commoner" status would not matter much.
__________________
.

Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 03-22-2011, 06:27 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bronx, United States
Posts: 421
Going by the the common (no pun intended) view neither Diana nor Kate would not be viewed as a commoner if only because of their wealthy backgrounds.

They probably won't marry royalty or a peer but they'll come with connections and money. Royals have such a small pool to pick from without causing a stir, not unlike the American upper crust, dating outside of one's social group can be socially awkward in many ways.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 03-22-2011, 07:47 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: everywhere, United States
Posts: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
Whereas the York girls are further down in the pecking order, I think you're right. Though I have a feeling that Pss B would be the one to opt for a more spectacular event (her 18th b. day party at Windsor Castle with 200 guests comes to mind) while I think Pss E would def. be more low key. I also think that their parents would want to make a big deal out of the girls' weddings, as most parents do.
I can see Beatrice wanting one because of that big party that was thrown for her. Whether or not the public would approve is a different matter. They don't appear to want to pay for security for William's.

As for Harry and Eugenie I see something more low-key because it seems their style. Harry might like to party in clubs but he doesn't seem to like the "royal" party. As for locations I hope it is not St. George's Chapel. We have seen that quite frequently and it would be nice to see different locations. That and the fact that in Harry's case the comparison between his wedding and Charles' second would be endless.

I think Zara has made quite a nice choice for her wedding. What about the chapel at St. James Palace? I believe it has hosted a royal wedding or two?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 03-22-2011, 08:06 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: snowsville, Canada
Posts: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver_bic View Post
Going by the the common (no pun intended) view neither Diana nor Kate would not be viewed as a commoner if only because of their wealthy backgrounds.

They probably won't marry royalty or a peer but they'll come with connections and money. Royals have such a small pool to pick from without causing a stir, not unlike the American upper crust, dating outside of one's social group can be socially awkward in many ways.
No matter how rich Kate is, she is as common as they come. It is new money. Diana was by many people considered not commoner, as she was aristocracy, and came with a title. A lot of people don't realize in the UK there are only two options, commoner or royalty, unlike the continent. To many people the daughter of an Earl, a Lady, is above a commoner.

The peerage does have a wide number, non royals are quite plausible as a future husband of the girls. Perhaps even ones from other countries. I noticed at least two Windsors have married women from my country.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 03-22-2011, 08:09 PM
MRSJ's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: ******, United States
Posts: 1,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissaadrian

No matter how rich Kate is, she is as common as they come. It is new money. Diana was by many people considered not commoner, as she was aristocracy, and came with a title. A lot of people don't realize in the UK there are only two options, commoner or royalty, unlike the continent. To many people the daughter of an Earl, a Lady, is above a commoner.

The peerage does have a wide number, non royals are quite plausible as a future husband of the girls. Perhaps even ones from other countries. I noticed at least two Windsors have married women from my country.
I'm confused- there are 2 options royal or commoner but Diana wasn't a commoner? Makes no sense... Either there are 3 options or Diana was a commoner...?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 03-22-2011, 08:22 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: snowsville, Canada
Posts: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemagre View Post
I can see Beatrice wanting one because of that big party that was thrown for her. Whether or not the public would approve is a different matter. They don't appear to want to pay for security for William's.

As for Harry and Eugenie I see something more low-key because it seems their style. Harry might like to party in clubs but he doesn't seem to like the "royal" party. As for locations I hope it is not St. George's Chapel. We have seen that quite frequently and it would be nice to see different locations. That and the fact that in Harry's case the comparison between his wedding and Charles' second would be endless.

I think Zara has made quite a nice choice for her wedding. What about the chapel at St. James Palace? I believe it has hosted a royal wedding or two?
The Chapel Royal at St. James' palace has a great deal of history. It was ordered constructed by Henry VIII and designed by Hans Holbein, in honor of his short lived marriage to Anne of Cleves. Mary I's heart is buried there, Elizabeth I made her famous prayers there against the Armada attack. Charles I recieved his last communion there, before he was taken to white hall to be beheaded.

But there is also good history. Queen Victoria was wed there. Her wedding contract, hand written by the archbishop and signed by her and Prince Albert, still hangs in the vestry.

I don't know about any modern weddings, but Diana's body was there for viewing before funeral and burial. The Queen Mother's viewing was across the road at the Queen's chapel, which was designed by Inigo Jones, and was built by James I for the catholic wife of his son Charles I.


There is also the Chapel royal at Hampton court palace to consider. It is where the Queen gave her Christmas speech last year. It is also where the religious leaders gathered for James I and came up with the authorized bible.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 03-22-2011, 08:23 PM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 5,243
Unless people are royal, they are considered commoners. So in the UK at least, even if a person is a Duke or an Earl, unless he's of the Royal Family, he's considered a commoner.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
I'm confused- there are 2 options royal or commoner but Diana wasn't a commoner? Makes no sense... Either there are 3 options or Diana was a commoner...?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 03-22-2011, 08:26 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: snowsville, Canada
Posts: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
I'm confused- there are 2 options royal or commoner but Diana wasn't a commoner? Makes no sense... Either there are 3 options or Diana was a commoner...?

I said Diana was a commoner. In the UK there is only 2 ranks, royal or commoner. But a lot of people are not royal buffs. They hear earl, or duke, or count or other titles and think 'aristocracy' and assume that is a rank above commoner, when at least in the UK, it isn't. Many people saw Lady Diana Spencer, daughter of an Earl, and would assume she was no commoner.

Technically Diana was a commoner. But a member of the peerage even if common, is still in many days different. They are raised in many of the same traditions, and kind of up bringing in many cases as a royal would. They'd attend the same events, run in the same social circles. Yes many of the richer upper crust people can too.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 03-22-2011, 08:31 PM
MRSJ's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: ******, United States
Posts: 1,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissaadrian

I said Diana was a commoner. In the UK there is only 2 ranks, royal or commoner. But a lot of people are not royal buffs. They hear earl, or duke, or count or other titles and think 'aristocracy' and assume that is a rank above commoner, when at least in the UK, it isn't. Many people saw Lady Diana Spencer, daughter of an Earl, and would assume she was no commoner.

Technically Diana was a commoner. But a member of the peerage even if common, is still in many days different. They are raised in many of the same traditions, and kind of up bringing in many cases as a royal would. They'd attend the same events, run in the same social circles. Yes many of the richer upper crust people can too.
Thanks for clearing it up. Sorry your wording just confused me a bit. :) I got it now!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 03-22-2011, 09:36 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 8,601
It is right that there are two levels in Britian but they are NOT royal and commoner but noble and commoner.

Strange as it may seem most of the royal family are actually commoners. The members of the royal family who are not commoners are: HM The Queen, HRH The Duke of Edinburgh, HRH The Duke of Cornwall (also known as The Prince of Wales), HRH The Duke of York, HRH The Earl of Wessex, HRH The Duke of Gloucester and HRH The Duke of Kent. Why because they could take a seat in the old House of Lords. The rest, including William are commoners - royal but commoners as they could stand for and be elected to the House of Commons.

Diana's father was a noble - as he had a seat in the House of Lords but Diana was a commoner.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 03-23-2011, 12:55 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Plymouth, United States
Posts: 1,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissaadrian View Post
The Chapel Royal at St. James' palace has a great deal of history. It was ordered constructed by Henry VIII and designed by Hans Holbein, in honor of his short lived marriage to Anne of Cleves. Mary I's heart is buried there, Elizabeth I made her famous prayers there against the Armada attack. Charles I recieved his last communion there, before he was taken to white hall to be beheaded.

But there is also good history. Queen Victoria was wed there. Her wedding contract, hand written by the archbishop and signed by her and Prince Albert, still hangs in the vestry.

I don't know about any modern weddings, but Diana's body was there for viewing before funeral and burial. The Queen Mother's viewing was across the road at the Queen's chapel, which was designed by Inigo Jones, and was built by James I for the catholic wife of his son Charles I.


There is also the Chapel royal at Hampton court palace to consider. It is where the Queen gave her Christmas speech last year. It is also where the religious leaders gathered for James I and came up with the authorized bible.
Thanks for this information, melissaadrian. This is really interesting. So much history.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 03-23-2011, 01:09 AM
jdcharlie's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: :), United States
Posts: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
Whereas the York girls are further down in the pecking order, I think you're right. Though I have a feeling that Pss B would be the one to opt for a more spectacular event (her 18th b. day party at Windsor Castle with 200 guests comes to mind) while I think Pss E would def. be more low key. I also think that their parents would want to make a big deal out of the girls' weddings, as most parents do.
I can see Beatrice wanting a really nice event too. She strikes me as the type. That's why I compared it to Peter Philips' wedding, as I think he had an extremely nice wedding and did a beautiful job of balancing his heritage and modern life (ignoring the Hello! spread). The only reason I can't picture Beatrice having a big royal wedding is because I don't know if the public interest is there. Although she and Eugenie are princesses, they've always been on a completely different level than William and Harry. I don't know if it's the "Diana factor" or the fact that William and Harry are closer to the throne, but the public doesn't seem to have the same passion for them.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 03-23-2011, 07:54 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bronx, United States
Posts: 421
Not just a lack of passion but any show of wealth gets them crucified in the papers.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
princess beatrice, princess eugenie, wedding


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
abdication belgium birth carl philip charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events dutch royal history engagement fashion grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta leonor infanta sofia jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg nobility olympics ottoman poland pregnancy president hollande prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess anita princess beatrix princess charlene princess laurentien princess mabel princess margriet princess marilene princess mary princess mary fashion queen anne-marie queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague visit wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:16 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]