Princess Royal Title

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wonder with the rumours of an imminent announcement of the bestowal of the Dukedom of Edinburgh on Prince Edward whether there will be an announcement of a Dukedom for Princess Anne?

She already has the most prestigious title any princess can have, usually exclusively bestowed on an eldest daughter of a Sovereign (and only when there is no any living Princess Royal around).

Last edited:
Personally I think the Queen waited until Anne has wound down her evening participation before granting her the title Princess Royal. Upon marriage Anne was still eventing and competing a lot and maybe it was felt by all concerned that it was best to not give Anne the extra title of Princess Royal whilst competing. Obviously having an extra title wouldn't be seen as an unfair advantage when competing but maybe they wanted to keep the amount of 'royal-ness' (can't think of a better way to say it) around Anne to a minimum whilst competing - the same has certainly been the case with Zara.
How would it have given her an unfair advantage?

It wouldn't - "Obviously having an extra title wouldn't be seen as an unfair advantage when competing"

My point was while Anne was competing she was, in effect, having another career. If instead of competing she was working for a business it wouldn't have been expected for the Queen to grant her the title Princess Royal while she was doing so. When she wound down her competing and her focus was solely on royal duties her mother may have felt the time was right for the title.

Why was Princess Sophia Dorothea, the daughter of King George I not given the title of Princess Royal?

Why was Princess Sophia Dorothea, the daughter of King George I not given the title of Princess Royal?

Because by the time her father became King in 1714, she had been Queen Consort in Prussia for a year and a half. The British title of Princess Royal would have been extraneous.

Editing to add - the title had only been used once at that point, for the daughter of Charles I and Henriettea Maria, so it was not a well-established custom yet.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom